Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Finrod
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

I posted before about how Black Knight 2000 seemed like an easier machine to me than Sorcerer. I did some measurements and have a couple of ideas as to precisely why it seems that way to me.

First: the triangle kickers are closer together on Sorcerer than they are on Black Knight 2000. Though the two machines have the same flipper length and flipper gap, on Black Knight 2000 the lower corners of the triangle kickers are 7 and 3/4 inches apart whereas on Sorcerer they are 7 and 3/16 inches apart. That's more than half an inch, half the width of a pinball, so a significant number of balls that would go directly to the flippers on Black Knight 2000 would go off the kicker on Sorcerer. Similarly the tops of the triangle kickers are 11 and 3/4 inches apart on Sorcerer but 12 and 3/8 inches apart on Black Knight 2000.

Second: the shots to exit the flipper area are wider on Black Knight 2000 than on Sorcerer.

Black Knight 2000 shots:
Skyway: 2 and 7/8 inches
Left U-Turn: 2 inches
Right U-Turn: 1 and 1/2 inches
Spin: 2 and 1/8 inches
Right saucer: 1 and 7/8 inches

Sorcerer shots:
Left spinner: 1 and 7/8 inches
Lock ramp: 1 and 7/8 inches
Lanes: 1 and 5/8 inches
Right spinner: 1 and 7/8 inches
To upper flipper area: 2 and 1/8 inches

If it isn't obvious the BK2K shots are wider, try subtracting the width of the ball (1 and 1/8) to get clearance:

Black Knight 2000: 1 and 3/4, 7/8, 3/8, 1, 3/4
Sorcerer: 3/4, 3/4, 1/2, 3/4, 1

In addition to Black Knight 2000 being very much of a flow machine, I think this is why for me Black Knight 2000 is an easier machine.

2 weeks later
#2 9 years ago

I think with the U-Turn so close to the flippers it would be really hard to play if the slingshots were closer together.

I've recently become the owner of a BK2K and I have a question that I can't seem to find an answer to.

Spelling KNI GHT with the drop targets enables Kickback and Magna-Save and lights BLACK but WTF does spelling BLACK get you?

#3 9 years ago

BTW, I have never seen Sorcerer before. I just looked it up. Now I want one. Thanks alot...

#4 9 years ago
Quoted from NextoPin:

I think with the U-Turn so close to the flippers it would be really hard to play if the slingshots were closer together.
I've recently become the owner of a BK2K and I have a question that I can't seem to find an answer to.
Spelling KNI GHT with the drop targets enables Kickback and Magna-Save and lights BLACK but WTF does spelling BLACK get you?

Spelling out B-L-A-C-K lights the Skyway for Skyway Bonus of 1 Million. And a pretty cool light show to boot.

#5 9 years ago
Quoted from NextoPin:

BTW, I have never seen Sorcerer before. I just looked it up. Now I want one. Thanks alot...

In comparison to BK2K? No, you really don't. Sorcerer is actually quite boring, IMHO.

#6 9 years ago

Sorcerer is a great game that they didn't make a lot of. I have one that is a keeper in my basement arcade. Ed

#7 9 years ago
Quoted from boagman:

Sorcerer is actually quite boring, IMHO.

Obviously you haven't played much of it or you just don't like games that kick your ass! Sorcerer can be pretty brutal to average pin players. Many people say its very easy and I just don't see it.

#8 9 years ago
Quoted from Finrod:

I posted before about how Black Knight 2000 seemed like an easier machine to me than Sorcerer. I did some measurements and have a couple of ideas as to precisely why it seems that way to me.
First: the triangle kickers are closer together on Sorcerer than they are on Black Knight 2000. Though the two machines have the same flipper length and flipper gap, on Black Knight 2000 the lower corners of the triangle kickers are 7 and 3/4 inches apart whereas on Sorcerer they are 7 and 3/16 inches apart. That's more than half an inch, half the width of a pinball, so a significant number of balls that would go directly to the flippers on Black Knight 2000 would go off the kicker on Sorcerer. Similarly the tops of the triangle kickers are 11 and 3/4 inches apart on Sorcerer but 12 and 3/8 inches apart on Black Knight 2000.
Second: the shots to exit the flipper area are wider on Black Knight 2000 than on Sorcerer.
Black Knight 2000 shots:
Skyway: 2 and 7/8 inches
Left U-Turn: 2 inches
Right U-Turn: 1 and 1/2 inches
Spin: 2 and 1/8 inches
Right saucer: 1 and 7/8 inches
Sorcerer shots:
Left spinner: 1 and 7/8 inches
Lock ramp: 1 and 7/8 inches
Lanes: 1 and 5/8 inches
Right spinner: 1 and 7/8 inches
To upper flipper area: 2 and 1/8 inches
If it isn't obvious the BK2K shots are wider, try subtracting the width of the ball (1 and 1/8) to get clearance:
Black Knight 2000: 1 and 3/4, 7/8, 3/8, 1, 3/4
Sorcerer: 3/4, 3/4, 1/2, 3/4, 1
In addition to Black Knight 2000 being very much of a flow machine, I think this is why for me Black Knight 2000 is an easier machine.

Interesting research. It's been over 25 years since I studied geometry, but I think this is correct thinking:

Consider the following:
1. the "opening to a ramp" is an object.
2. this object has a width "W"
3. this object has a distance from the tip of a flipper "D" (be sure to measure to the center of the object)
4. A is the "angular size of the object, measured in degrees."

You need to compare A of one machine to A of another machine.

The ANGULAR SIZE of the opening for the shot is what we care about. The bigger it is, the easier the shot is, but it's a RATIO based on A=W/D. You can't just compare widths in a vacuum.

I'm sure a mathematician could describe this more elegantly.

Let us know what you discover!
-mof

#9 9 years ago

If they are both the same price and condition, I'd take the Sorcerer.

#10 9 years ago

I put lighting flippers on sorc. makes it harder and you get more play off the center post.

#11 9 years ago
Quoted from Kneissl:

I put lighting flippers on sorc. makes it harder and you get more play off the center post.

This is boss advice.
I have my lighting flippers ready for when the PF comes back from John.
-mof

#12 9 years ago
Quoted from Squeakman:

Obviously you haven't played much of it or you just don't like games that kick your ass! Sorcerer can be pretty brutal to average pin players. Many people say its very easy and I just don't see it.

Well, then, I thank you for calling me an above-average player, because I absolutely *roll that thing over* when I play it. Quite literally, thank you.

There's not enough "there" there to be captivating to me. While BK2K obviously has a sharp upper hand in being the pin that drew me in, there's still far, far more going on with the playfield than there is on Sorcerer. Shot layout is better and harder, and those four years between the two pins' release really, *really* hurts Sorcerer a lot in terms of full experience.

Glad you like it. I can play it any time I desire to. It's been a while since it called to me. There's a good reason for that.

#13 9 years ago
Quoted from Kneissl:

Very cool idea!

#14 9 years ago
Quoted from Kneissl:

This would definitely make a difference in making the game more difficult for me...but the game would still be limited by what it is.

#15 9 years ago
Quoted from boagman:

Spelling out B-L-A-C-K lights the Skyway for Skyway Bonus of 1 Million. And a pretty cool light show to boot.

Yea, that seems just like Mr. Knight. Wait until the ball goes up the left ramp then display a seizure inducing light show while the ball whips around the loop, down the return ramp and into the drain and then the lights stop and you're like "where the hell did the ball go?"

That's why I like it. When I got mine, one of the first things I did was make sure all the flashers were working. I love the light show on that game.

Never played Sorcerer but the art looks awesome. I like any pinball table that can be confused for an 80's heavy metal album cover.

#16 9 years ago

I sold the Sorcerer recently (only have room for 5 tables right now), so I don't have it to make measurements any more; but when I was measuring the widths of the various shots, I tried to keep the width measurement at a right angle to a line going down to the flipper that would be the natural flipper to shoot shots from. This works in most but not all situations (both sides of the U-Turn in BK2K can be backhanded from the same-side flipper), but I think it's still a decent starting point for comparisons. The width of the Skyway shot in BK2K exaggerates its ease of shooting it, since if you shoot it along the left side you make the shot easily, but if you shoot it on the right side, it rattles around on the Skyway ramp and often doesn't make it to the upper playfield.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 12.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 39.99
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Machine - For Sale
Vancouver, BC
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Louisville, KY
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Titusville, FL
$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

4,500 (OBO)
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 749.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/black-knight-2000-vs-sorcerer-revisited and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.