Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

bkgi (resized).jpg
IMG_2349 (resized).JPG
IMG_2343 (resized).JPG
IMG_2344 (resized).JPG
IMG_2340 (resized).JPG
#1 6 years ago

So I've been reading and reading, trying to diagnose and fix this problem on my own but I just can't get to the bottom of it.

When I turn on my BK2K, everything is fine for about 10-15 minutes. But then, the GI on the upper playfield will suddenly start to dim. This starts with the pop bumpers and the upper left GI and eventually (maybe 10-15 minutes later) includes the right side GI and top WIN lanes. The GI on the WAR lanes is not affected as far as I can tell.

I checked all the fuses, especially the ones on my interconnect board. I checked the connectors, on the backbox interconnect board and the interconnect board for the upper PF under the PF. There is a previous burn, which I think was fixed, on J710-9. See pictures below. This was there when I got the machine though.

The issue started after I wired in an extra spotlight for the left side of the upper playfield. It was fine for about a week and then this issue started. Since then, I removed the extra spot and re-soldered the connection at the socket I was using. The issue persisted even when the socket was disconnected. Should I try to clean it up more and re-solder again? See below.

When it works, the voltage is around 6.1v and when it drops, it goes down to about 2.8-3.5v.

This is my second pin and I definitely have a lot left to learn. I'll also say that the playfield and GI are all LED'd. Thank you in advance for any and all of your help!IMG_2340 (resized).JPGIMG_2340 (resized).JPG IMG_2343 (resized).JPGIMG_2343 (resized).JPGIMG_2344 (resized).JPGIMG_2344 (resized).JPGIMG_2349 (resized).JPGIMG_2349 (resized).JPG

#2 6 years ago

May I ask you to show the extra spotlight?
This is very interesting I'm thinking also to install a kind of this cause the upper plf is too dark and the lights of the translite reflects more light.
Difficult the play in dark room.

#3 6 years ago

This is the spot I got from Marco. Honestly, I didn't care for it because it's very difficult to remove the bulb since it's all one piece.

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/04-10094

I later ordered this one because the reflector is detachable. However, I didn't get to use it because I ran into the aforementioned issue.

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/077-5026-XX

#4 6 years ago

Needed picture under working (reflector).
About GI. Its very simple, first check all points of the line starting at the transformer.
Probably it is the contact failure (if the PS works well).

bkgi (resized).jpgbkgi (resized).jpg

#5 6 years ago

Okay, thank you. So I measured from the transformer to the backbox interconnect board, through J6 and J9. Everything is around 6v.
When J9 5 & 1 (vio and wht-vio) get to the upper PF the voltage is at ~3v.

Does that mean the issue is between J9 and the upper playfield, the violet and white-violet wires?

Edit: Checked on these wires at the interconnect board under the main playfield and the voltage is normal, ~6.2v. Currently trying to trace the wires between there and the upper PF to find the issue.

#6 6 years ago

Measure the resistance of this line starting from the connector side at interconnect board.
The ultimate solving : pull out all of lamps and put back one by one and measure the voltage.

#7 6 years ago

What should the resistance be?

What should I look for if I pull all the lamps?

#8 6 years ago

One of the sockets or lamps can do the short circuit.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Louisville, KY
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

4,500 (OBO)
$ 39.99
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Machine - For Sale
Matthews, NC
$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 12.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/black-knight-2000-upper-pf-gi-voltage-drop and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.