Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Pinwizkid
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

Need to transport a BK2000 today and of course it is going to rain this afternoon. So I'd rather not wrap and tarp it on my trailer and it may just barely be too deep to fit in my wagon.

I want to be prepared if I need to remove the head. I'll assume it's hinged and I'll need to unscrew the hinge from the cabinet? Then basically label the heck out of all the connectors with painters tape or what not?

Any "gotchas" to be aware of?

Thanks.

#2 10 years ago

There's prob a ground attached to look for, that's one hell of a tear down GL!!

#3 10 years ago

Yeah was looking at some pics of the boards and head....def a boatload of connectors. Forgot I do have a roll of stretch wrap, so may just wrap it in that and then wrap in two tarps and strap tarps tight and use the trailer.

#4 10 years ago

The later System 11s like Black Knight 2000 don't have a hinge, they have bolts that go into the side of the cabinet and two pieces of metal that connect the bottom of the backbox to the side of the cabinet. I've never tried to undo that kind of connection so I can't be very much help to you there, sorry.

#5 10 years ago

The head removal is not as bad as you might think. I've done it many times, it just takes a little longer than you'd probably like it to. It's about a half hour of labor to get the thing off.

Basically, you want to remove only the connectors that lead from the backbox to the playfield and label them based on the connector name printed on the circuit board (J1, J2, etc). There are some connectors that lead to other places in the backbox, so there will be some connectors that can stay in place. Most connectors have a key so that you can't put them on incorrectly, but this is a "better safe than sorry" type of scenario. As mentioned, there is also a silver ground wire that hooks underneath a wingnut on the floor of the backbox that needs to be removed as well.

With the connectors removed, labelled, and shoved into the cabinet, you will have to remove the 6 bolts (3 on either side) that connect the left and right swinging hinges to the bottom of the backbox. When you are done, these hinges will swing freely from the sides of the playfield cabinet, so you may want to secure them for the ride to avoid them scratching the cabinet. They do not need to be fully removed.

After that, remove the standard backbox bolts and keep a hand on the backbox, as it will become loose at this point and is top heavy, even with the rear latch engaged. Have someone hold onto the backbox while you reassemble the display panel/backglass. Then release the rear latch and lift it off.

Done! The reassembly process is basically the reverse of this. Good luck!

-BB

#6 10 years ago

Awesome write up! Didn't see this until I got home, so I wrapped it in two tarps and strapped it to my trailer. Made it home nice and dry. Great jnfo for the next person searching.

#7 10 years ago

Hey, whatever works. Glad you got it home ok!

-BB

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
Decals
$ 12.50
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct
Decals
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp
Decorations
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
Cabinet - Toppers
+CY Universal
Toppers
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
Decals
$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball
Toppers
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball
Led
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com
Toys/Add-ons
$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.
Toys/Add-ons
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.
Sound/Speakers
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball
Decorations
Machine - For Sale
Matthews, NC
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Louisville, KY
$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Oklahoma City, OK
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp
Decorations

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/black-knight-2000-head-removal and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.