Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by pinlink
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

10E8DEB8-3FD4-46B4-8796-E495D37633BF (resized).jpeg
    0e75e378ed48dfc1282f9bf106a0c741e62626f4 (resized).jpg
    E3A35FFD-64A3-414B-8176-0B71EE32E309 (resized).jpeg
    02EB438A-ACE9-48A8-9EAB-15C3AA48AF0C (resized).jpeg
    #1 2 years ago

The game will reset as soon as you hit the Right Flipper Button. To be clear, the right flipper coils never fire. So I don't think it's a low power issue (like on WPC games where you hit both flippers at the same time and the game resets.) I have tested triggering multiple solenoids at the same time (pops, left flipper) and the game does not reset. It's the right flipper button inside the cabinet that is causing it I belive.

There is a spark at the connectors when pressing the button, and the game reboots. I have cleaned the connectors and the wiring looks fine, but it does spark every time. There is no diode on the switch, but I don't think there is supposed to be.

Any ideas? thanks

#2 2 years ago

Bad flipper coil or flipper coil diodes will cause a game reset like you describe.

#3 2 years ago

OK, I just replaced with a new coil. Now the lower right flipper will actually flip once (top right flipper doesn't move), but the game still immediately reboots when you hit the right flipper button.

#4 2 years ago

The lower right flipper and upper right flipper are in a chain on this game. When you hit the right flipper button, high power on the lower right flipper engages. As the flipper goes up, the end of stroke switch is opened, moving the lower right flipper into low power hold. The end of stroke switch then closes another switch that powers the upper right flipper. I would check for a short there... in the switch, line from the lower right flipper to the upper right flipper, including the whole upper right flipper coil.

#5 2 years ago
    Quoted from attack7777:

The lower right flipper and upper right flipper are in a chain on this game.

Thanks. With which wire are they linked together?

#6 2 years ago

Take a look at the switch furthest away from the flipper shaft (the EOS and Upper flipper switch are really just 2 switches stacked on top of each other) on the lower right flipper. The two wires there will feed the upper flipper.

#7 2 years ago

Ok so these two wires should feed the upper right flipper. Solid Blue and Blue/Yellow. Right?

02EB438A-ACE9-48A8-9EAB-15C3AA48AF0C (resized).jpeg02EB438A-ACE9-48A8-9EAB-15C3AA48AF0C (resized).jpeg

Here is a pic of the upper right flipper coil. Looks like they don't have a common wire...? The Blue/Yellow wire looks different. And the only solid blue wires for the upper flipper are just coming from the EOS switch. Confusing.

E3A35FFD-64A3-414B-8176-0B71EE32E309 (resized).jpegE3A35FFD-64A3-414B-8176-0B71EE32E309 (resized).jpeg
    #8 2 years ago

Holy crimp connectors Batman

I'm noticing a lot of excess on the red wires. Are you sure they're not touching anything? It's hard to tell with the angle, but it almost looks like it's curved and touching something else.

0e75e378ed48dfc1282f9bf106a0c741e62626f4 (resized).jpg0e75e378ed48dfc1282f9bf106a0c741e62626f4 (resized).jpg
    #9 2 years ago

That's supposed to be connected there and it's not touching anything else. better pic:
    10E8DEB8-3FD4-46B4-8796-E495D37633BF (resized).jpeg10E8DEB8-3FD4-46B4-8796-E495D37633BF (resized).jpeg

#10 2 years ago

FIXED! Turns out it was the upper right coil that was the problem. The black/yellow and blue/yellow were connected to the wrong lugs (as you can see in the photo). I reversed them and now everything is working.

Thanks everyone for your help!

#11 2 years ago
    Quoted from pinlink:

That's supposed to be connected there and it's not touching anything else. better pic:
    [quoted image]

Ahh ok, much better angle on that one.

Glad to hear it's been resolved.

#12 2 years ago

Glad everything's working again!

#13 2 years ago
    Quoted from pinlink:FIXED! Turns out it was the upper right coil that was the problem. The black/yellow and blue/yellow were connected to the wrong lugs (as you can see in the photo). I reversed them and now everything is working.
    Thanks everyone for your help!

Out of curiosity do you know how they got reversed? Were you working on that upper right coil and reassemble in reverse? Just curious root cause.

#14 2 years ago
    Quoted from MusiKyle:

Were you working on that upper right coil and reassemble in reverse?

I'm guessing the previous owner did. This is a project that I just started going through so this is how it came to me. I recall the guy I bought it from was selling it because "the flipper stopped working". I am guessing based on the miswired coils and shit solder job that he tried to fix it unsuccessfully before listing it for sale.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/black-knight-2000-game-resets-when-flipper-button-is-pressed and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.