(Topic ID: 222024)

Black Knight 2000 forgets it's in multiball

By McSquid

5 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mcsquid.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

I'm trying to track down the final demon in my BK2K restoration. Everything else now works perfectly, but seemingly randomly the game will forget it's in multiball after a single ball is drained. With two left in play. This happens for normal multiball AND Kings ransom. It happens about 50% of the time and I cannot determine any common circumstances that cause it. Everytime I think it might have something to do with something specific I'm proven wrong in the next test. Also, very rarely, about 2-3% of the time, the game will kick out a ball into the shooter lane when a glitched multiball's second ball is drained.

I've checked all the switches in switch test. All of them work, and none cause any weird switch behavior. No double registers, no unusual bouncing. Game works 100% other than this.

I found an old thread that mentioned one of his switches was wired wrong causing this behavior, but my game doesn't have the same wiring issues he had.

The game is running LA-2 roms until I figure out why it won't boot with my LA-4 Roms. But I can't find a change log to see if there is anything relevant.

1 week later
#2 5 years ago

I shotgun replaced all the trough switches, outhole switch, lock switches, and their diodes. Now I get consistent behavior... Consistently bad. When multiball begins, it immediately ends. With all 3 balls still in play. Jackpot never lights. If you get a ball up the ramp it counts as a lock. All switches test good, with finger and ball. At this point I'm desperately hoping getting the roms updated fixes something because this is driving me nuts.

#5 5 years ago

The lock switch board has been serviced already. All diodes replaced, connector reflowed. I have tested more times than I can count at this point. The switches act exactly as they should in switch test.

I'll try replacing the female connector with crimp pins.

I'll try the ramp switch disconnect though. Haven't tried that.

#7 5 years ago

Thats a....Great idea. I'll try that!

#9 5 years ago

So I'm tentatively calling this one solved. It seems we had a perfect storm effect at the beginning where several problems contributed to the same issue.

#1 was a faulty switch/diode somewhere in the trough, since after replacing them all the behavior became much more consistant.
#2 was a bent metal. The metal U that makes up half of the lock was bent in such a way that the switches were not in a straight line, causing the upper switch to be harder to trigger. In addition, this bend made the balls able to travel slightly left/right. the strength of the 3rd switch was enough to trigger, then push the ball away far enough to open again.

Thanks to all who helped. These demons have some insane hiding places sometimes.

Special shoutout to darcangeloel who gave me the idea to disconnect the ramp entry switch, which made the game rely on the upper lock switch to start multiball. causing me to look at it REALLY closely and play around with a stack of balls in the lock.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

4,500 (OBO)
$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Machine - For Sale
Oradell, NJ
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 39.99
$ 12.50
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Louisville, KY
$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mcsquid.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/black-knight-2000-forgets-it-s-in-multiball?tu=mcsquid and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.