(Topic ID: 94003)

Black Knight 2000 Club - Knights of the Lightning Wheel.

By NextoPin

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,244 posts
  • 230 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 27 hours ago by cidtrip
  • Topic is favorited by 128 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

issue (resized).png
IMG_0270 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0343 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0267 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0269 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0268 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0266 (resized).jpeg
BK2K sticker (resized).jpg
20240409_121916 (resized).jpg
IMG_0329 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0230 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
20240202_133818 (resized).jpg
20240201_210703 (resized).jpg
20240129_213624 (resized).jpg
20240129_213924 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider catkins.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#589 5 years ago
Quoted from mainelycoasters:

Ok how many of you guys are also looking for the wireform ramp going upper to lower playfield?

<raises hand> Damage caused by raising the upper pf. Smallish connector to top of right sling broke off. Looking for repair or replacement.

#592 5 years ago
Quoted from darcangeloel:

There was a guy on here who was saying (I think) he could make them for $40 (each) but he would need one of us to send him the wire form off of our game. I am willing to do this but mine is missing the leg on the right (The one that attaches over top of or near the magna-save plastic. If I am able to get this guys attention would you guys be willing to buy one for that price? ( I was thinking maybe I'll have him make 10 or something ). I sent the guy a message but he hasn't logged in since may so I won't hold my breath Let me see if I can find someone local who can make them.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/need-lower-wireform-chute-for-black-knight-2000

In short, yes!
Since this is a vulnerable part, it would be nice if a vendor or two kept some in stock, as well, since these will likely fail on "good" tables, at some point.

#593 5 years ago
Quoted from catkins:

In short, yes!
Since this is a vulnerable part, it would be nice if a vendor or two kept some in stock, as well, since these will likely fail on "good" tables, at some point.

This is where mine broke. Oddly, it didn't break at the weld (underneath).

<soapbox> Frankly, this area could use a little re-engineering for robustness. The action of raising the upper PF puts a lot of stress on this crossmember & weld. The springs actually act as a flexible joint, but the action of raising the UPF transfers a significant rotational downward force to the welded joint. The challenge is the weld and crossmember can't be much bigger because it needs room for the ball to pass underneath, to make the BK challenge lock shot. It's not really a design flaw (the ability of the UPF to be lifted for servicing is fantastic), but, like most machines, it wasn't designed to last for 30 years! </soapbox>

I'd be elated to work with anyone who would like to try their hand at fashioning a better crossmember support.

bk2k_break_small (resized).pngbk2k_break_small (resized).png
#598 5 years ago

Interesting, one of the welders wants me to bring him the part to see if he can make it. He seems to think it is stainless steel. What do you guys think.

Found this ... https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-do-i-buildingmodifying-a-habitrail

I have made them and there is little to no information so here goes: made from 3mm (1/8") 303 Stainless steel, the spacing between them is 14mm (or 17mm centres). I print out full size and then bend the wires using a former (see attached) which is just a cylinder smaller than the smallest radius you want to make. The tabs are 3mm thick and can either be spot welded or silver soldered. i silver soldered mine as i didn't want any flats on the rails that spot welding may create.

#600 5 years ago

Interesting... I didn't know they were made from 303 stainless. Also he seems to think they can be attached to each other using silver solder? I thought all this stuff was welded together. Would silver solder really have enough strength to hold a wire form together?

My impression from that post, and a little experience, is that silver solder is easier to use than spot welding (less expensive/complex equipment). As you say, even a good solder weld would not be nearly as robust as a good spot weld. I would greatly prefer spot welded habitrails, especially for a damage-prone piece.

#605 5 years ago

So I am starting to get back quotes on these from the welders (For example see picture). I feel like at 150 to 200 a pop no one would be interested as that doesn't even include shipping or the spring and rubber part. However that is just the first quote I got back so who knows

For me, the price ($200) is a little high for the size. Just to make sure -- I'm not interested in the 10" piece that catches the ball after the W-A-R rollovers -- just the ~7" one with the springs and mount (to the slings). A higher price certainly ups the ante in terms of investment (maybe a smaller run?), but serious owners/collectors are used to paying a premium for custom replacement (or NOS) metal. Springs (like these) are easier to find than a custom made piece of chromed metal. I can transfer my springs from the old piece to the new one. One could get by just fine with something close to the original springs, but there's nothing close enough to the habitrail.

As many painfully realize, sources for quality table parts are drying up. A happy side-effect of ever increasing table prices is a tolerance for higher replacement part cost. I'm 100% still interested in a replacement part, even if I have to chrome it myself.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

4,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Peekskill, NY
$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

Machine - For Sale
Titusville, FL
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Louisville, KY
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 39.99
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider catkins.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/black-knight-2000-club?tu=catkins and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.