(Topic ID: 94003)

Black Knight 2000 Club - Knights of the Lightning Wheel.

By NextoPin

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,245 posts
  • 230 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 33 hours ago by cidtrip
  • Topic is favorited by 129 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

issue (resized).png
IMG_0270 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0343 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0267 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0269 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0268 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0266 (resized).jpeg
BK2K sticker (resized).jpg
20240409_121916 (resized).jpg
IMG_0329 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0230 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
20240202_133818 (resized).jpg
20240201_210703 (resized).jpg
20240129_213624 (resized).jpg
20240129_213924 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider caseydanger.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#807 3 years ago

It's taken five years, but I finally get to join the Knights of the Lightning Wheel! I can't wait to tear into this.

IMG_7646 (resized).jpegIMG_7646 (resized).jpeg
#808 3 years ago

Does anyone have this plastic they'd be willing to part with? Mine appears to be missing. It's the 'future' version of the tiny castle plastic that sits under the drawbridge ramp.

image_43693_1_600x600@2x (resized).jpgimage_43693_1_600x600@2x (resized).jpg
2 weeks later
#810 3 years ago

Slowly bringing my BK2k back to life and I'm working on sound now. I can get music to play in the diagnostics mode just fine and most of the sounds play (4 and 5 are missing). My question is about the sound test you can run by pressing SW-1 on the board. What's the expected result from that? When I press the button on my board the 'angel chorus' 'Ahhhhhh' sound plays and repeats over and over again. The manual states that I should hear two sounds and in my research on pinside it sounds like I should be hearing a high and low tone.

#812 3 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Any battery corrosion on that MPU above or below the battery holder area? Please post a picture of the board.

Hello again, @pinballmaniac40! You helped me in my other thread so maybe I should move this question to it's own thread. Let me know if I should do that.

Anyhow, in my "It won't boot" thread I believe you pointed out some corrosion issues on my CPU board so that could very well be my issue. Here's what I've done so far in regards to sound:

- I verified the U21, U22 ROMs on the CPU board and the U4 and U19 ROMs on the audio board. U4 and U21 didn't check out so I reburned those. That actually ended up fixing my boot up tone not occurring and some other sound issues.

- Recapped the audio board with all new electrolytics.

- Had to buy new audio cables (ribbon, and the 4-pin that connects the CPU to the Audio board) as mine were missing. I verified that the ribbon cable isn't offset when installed.

- Music test in diagnostics, all music selections work ( prior to recapping and new rom, this was silent ) and sound great.

- Sound test in diagnostics, all sound selections work except for 4 and 5 so that's another problem. Increasing volume to max for 4 and 5 I still don't hear anything in those slots.

- As I mentioned, pressing SW-1 on the CPU after getting the one 'bong' on startup, it just plays the 'angel chorus' sound over and over until I turn off the machine. It's quite pleasant, but I don't know if it's the "correct" action.

My plan was to download the audio test rom from pinwiki and start tracing out the address lines in the audio section in order to figure out the missing 4 and 5 sounds, but I wanted to just quickly check in the forum exactly the sounds I should expect when hitting the SW-1 switch. As far as the missing sounds go, I suspect it's possible my U9 is acting weird or as I've seen in other pinsider threads the CVSD could be an issue or something I'm unaware of. I also haven't replaced the c15 and c18 electrolytic caps on the CPU board yet; that's also on my list.

I've attached the pictures of my board from that previous thread so some things are outdated on it, including the removal of the battery holder and adding NVRAM from pinitech. Let me know if I should take some updated photos.

IMG_7761.pngIMG_7761.pngIMG_7762.pngIMG_7762.png

#813 3 years ago

Well I replaced the caps at C8 and C15 with no change. Reseated the ROM at U21 and got the missing sounds! Next time I have the board out I’ll replace that socket to really nip that problem in the bud.

As far as the sw1 button goes, I’m still not sure what’s happening. All the sound seems fine but pressing that button just plays the ‘angel chorus’ sound still. I’ll poke around some more. Now I have to figure out my drawbridge problem!

#816 3 years ago
Quoted from mastercello:

I did also wonder about the same a few weeks back - result: this is like it should be, only the chorus singing the "Ahhhhh ahhhhs" over and over again - until you reset or switch of the pin.
On your MPU picture U21/U22 are wrong (wrong placed or wrong labeled) - maybe your problem?

Thank you so much for checking your switch response! I’m glad to know that’s working.

Ha. Yes they were swapped. That’s an old picture and I should have updated it, but they are now in the right place. I did end up having to re-burn U21 because it was not verifying in my programmer.

Speaking of the sound issue, it’s back! But it’s weird. If I turn on the game after having sat for a while the sounds 04 and 05 in the diagnostics are missing. After the game warms up for about 10-15 minutes the sounds return and all is well. I replaced the socket at U22 I’m wondering if I need to do U21 as well? I’m guessing somewhere a piece of metal or solder is expanding with heat and making correct contact but I’m not sure where.

1 week later
#819 3 years ago
Quoted from Initiative:

SOS! i've got a new problem that's probably pedestrian for someone who know what they're doing, but for me its a first. Last night, both right flippers stopped working in the middle of a game (left flipper works just fine). I checked the wiring on the button switch and everything is solid. Also, the lane change switch registers just fine in test as well.
anyone have a suggestion for me on where to start looking for the cause?

Did you check the wiring on the lower right flipper coil? Possibly a power wire or control wire came off. I wouldn't suspect a fuse as then both flippers would be dead.

#821 3 years ago
Quoted from Initiative:

thank ya for the post. I checked wiring on both flipper coils and everything is solid. just noticed too when in test and holding in button i get an audible hum, which for a system 11 just doesnt sound right...
edit: sorry for the bother, found the problem... linkage snapped on the lower flipper, so yeah i didnt think it was mechanical, but turns out it was. i've never seen this happen in 35 years of pinball in the house. anyway, i must be mashing on the right flipper too much! happy monday everyone

Ha, wild! I've never seen that happen either. Glad you got it sorted.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

5,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Canton, OH
$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

4,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Peekskill, NY
$ 12.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

Machine - For Sale
Matthews, NC
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 39.99
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Louisville, KY
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider caseydanger.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/black-knight-2000-club?tu=caseydanger and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.