(Topic ID: 94003)

Black Knight 2000 Club - Knights of the Lightning Wheel.

By NextoPin

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,227 posts
  • 227 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 days ago by Gedc
  • Topic is favorited by 124 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0230 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
20240202_133818 (resized).jpg
20240201_210703 (resized).jpg
20240129_213624 (resized).jpg
20240129_213924 (resized).jpg
20240129_214922 (resized).jpg
IMG_5984 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider SkyKing2301.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#313 7 years ago
Quoted from Triggerfish:

Found it. Thanks. I've never touched it before so I wonder why it would have suddenly changed volume on its own. It's back to normal now though so thanks again.

I had this exact same thing happen on my Space Shuttle too, where it sounded like all the bass dropped out and the sound was super quiet. A tiny turn of the volume knob brought it back up to full sound. (I keep it at relatively low volume.) My guess was perhaps enough vibration over time may have turned the knob ever so slightly.

2 weeks later
#324 7 years ago

Played a virtual pin this weekend. (Still don't really like it, but I had time to kill and no real pins available.) Played BK2K and noticed the virtual PF had a few typos...

RAMSON
20170113_092038 (resized).jpg20170113_092038 (resized).jpg

also
RAMNSON
20170113_092105 (resized).jpg20170113_092105 (resized).jpg

Cue the inappropriate jokes....

3 weeks later
#327 7 years ago

Hey can someone lift up their playfield and take a pic of the playfield tilt switch? As you can see, mine is missing, and I'm suspecting this could have something to do with the phantom tilts my machine occasionally throws.

As you can see, mine is missing, but I believe these three wires (white/brown, green/brown, green/red) would connect to it. So I'd like to possibly install a new one (or simulate one) and see if that resolves the issue.

20170213_181834 (resized).jpg20170213_181834 (resized).jpg

20170213_181946 (resized).jpg20170213_181946 (resized).jpg

#329 7 years ago
Quoted from TheOnlyest:

Those wires do connect to the PF tilt switch, the 2 grn/red wires connect together to one contact, and the wht/brn goes to the other contact. My switch was missing when I got mine too. Having no switch simulates a switch that is open, so you can leave it missing, or add the switch, but good luck finding a complete switch assembly new, I had to buy a used one from ebay. Any system 11 switch will work from 1987 to 1989, but Williams didn't use a PF tilt switch on many games. The one I bought came from a Fire!, and works perfectly.

Hmm, ok. Thanks for the info -- I guess it's ok as-is. I'm having a strange problem in which, about 40% of the time, the right outlane triggers a Tilt. I haven't been able to figure out why. I did start a thread on it (over here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1989-black-knight-2000-miscellaneous-minor-gremlins ), so I ought to follow-up on some of the other suggestions there. (Things got busy.) If any of you have other suggestions, I'm all ears.

I tested the diode at that switch, and even though it came back good, I replaced it anyway. I figure the next simple step would be to replace the switch itself to see if that changes anything.

#330 7 years ago

Also, one other random thought on the issue: I was perusing the manual yesterday and stumbled upon the 'Tilt Warning' adjustment setting. I got excited, thinking maybe if I had this set up, maybe the outlane-phantom-tilt issue might register as a warning instead of a full tilt. I went into my settings last night, and sadly found it was already set at 3. I upped it to 5 anyway, but in the first game after that, right outlane still triggered a tilt (i.e., no warning). sigh ...

#332 7 years ago
Quoted from TheOnlyest:

The tilt warning only pertains to the plumb, the PF tilt and slam tilt do not give warnings, instant kill. Assuming you have traced down all the wiring, if I was having this issue, the first thing I would do is replace the switch matrix chip.
Out of curiosity, have you tried starting a game and then touching those PF tilt switch wires to simulate the closed switch? I would be curious as to what the result would be.

Aha, good to know. So it's definitely not an issue at the plumb bob, as that would throw warnings. Whatever the "miscommunication" is, it's gotta be related to the (nonexistent) PF tilt or slam tilt.

No, I haven't tried that. Makes perfect sense to try, though at the same time it terrifies me -- touch wires together with the power on? Ack! lol

Ack!Ack!

#334 7 years ago
Quoted from TheOnlyest:

The lack of a PF tilt switch is not the problem, period. and touching the wires cant hurt anything, its a ground trigger. Just make sure you touch all 3 wires together, the 2 grn/red wires must be connected together at all times, just as they are in your pic.

Ok, here's how the testing went:
-- Started a game.
-- Manually pushed the plumb bob to the ring. Game registered and gave a 'Danger' warning.
-- Manually touched the grn/red & grn/brown wire ends to the white/brown wire end (to simulate playfield tilt). Game registered a Tilt and ended the ball only.
-- Manually closed the slam tilt on the coin door. Game registered a Tilt and ended the game.

Since we've now demonstrated that the three Tilt types have different 'consequences' (warning, kill ball, kill game), then we can therefore conclude my right-outlane-phantom-tilt is being treated like a Playfield Tilt. It doesn't tell us why, but at least it may help narrow it down some. Next thoughts?

Note: I went into Switch Edge test mode, and manually cycled the right outlane switch approximately 40 times. It never once registered as anything except right outlane.

#336 7 years ago
Quoted from TheOnlyest:

You truly have a ghost in your machine

I'll think of it as a dirty trick played by the Black Knight himself, and it'll help motivate better nudging and use of that Magna Save!

It's really more of a nuisance than anything. Sure, lose end of ball bonus, not too critical. Really the only time it kills you is when you're mid-multiball and THEN it phantom-tilts.

Sadly, I won't be able to get further into it if there's nothing else simple I can try. After this weekend this game will be moving on to a new owner, a friend of mine (it's his grail) who is aware of the issue.

Considering it was DOA when I got it, and the assortment of surgeries and repairs I had to perform (and everything I learned along the way) to get it to where it is now ... I'm proud that this minor glitch has been its only remaining issue. This machine had been a blast both to fix and play.

It's been an honor to count myself one amongst you other noble knights.

Stand up and fight!!!

#339 7 years ago
Quoted from TheOnlyest:

Very well then, perhaps he will have some luck figuring it out. BK2K is my grail also, that said, if mine was acting nuts like yours, I wouldnt sleep until it was right!! lol

What if I just disconnected that outlane switch? Would that upset the machine or knock out a switch matrix column/row? It's a microswitch, so are they "handled"/"seen" differently than a standard leaf switch?

If that wouldn't piss off the machine, the only negatives I could see are:
- loss of outlane points (minimal impact)
- loss of Last Chance if lit (although that's more rare)

But that'd be a better tradeoff for eliminating the phantom tilt, I'd think.

#341 7 years ago
Quoted from TheOnlyest:

All switches report the same way, regardless of type. It wouldn't hurt anything, but only remove the single return wire, leave the 2 ground wires connected.

Alright. Thanks again for all your time & help! I'll consider this option for the co-workers' tournament I'm hosting on Saturday.

#343 7 years ago

Went to have another look at this today. I'm hosting a tournament tonight, so I decided disconnecting the switch would be the best way to keep it fair. I wasn't sure which wire to undo though -- one has a plug end, and the other is soldered. I pulled the plug end off, and tested everything, and all the other game functions seemed to work fine.

I realized I hadn't ever disconnected the switch, so on a whim, I plugged it back in. I put about four games on it, and also pulled the glass and MANUALLY cycled the switch during a game literally 50 consecutive times -- and it never ONCE registered as a tilt. Not a single time.

So ... perhaps it was just a bad connection in the plug? Perhaps a little surface oxidation over time, I dunno? Anyway, I'm cautiously optimistic. We'll see how it behaves during the party -- but considering all the successful cycles since unplugging/replugging, may it's finally solved? <knocks on side of cabinet>

6 months later
#417 6 years ago
Quoted from Piratedan200:

Just joined today! Picked up a great one along with a space shuttle! Only issues so far are weak upper playfield flipper (really lousy soldering job is likely the culprit) and a number of lines missing on the lower display.

That's a heck of a combo! I had the same two side-by-side for a while myself, until I traded my BK2K for a T2. Fantastic games, GIMME YOUR MONEY

#419 6 years ago
Quoted from Piratedan200:

How is the upper flipper supposed to behave?

Should behave like a normal flipper. Gotta smack that ball around the loop or up the drawbridge ramp...

1 year later
#585 5 years ago
Quoted from KJS:

Finished yesterday and given s good workout last night by my mates!
Couple of switches to adjust but playing beautifully![quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

inputContent (resized).pnginputContent (resized).png

5 months later
#656 5 years ago
Quoted from darcangeloel:

I
My point being, leave the mylar alone unless you are some sort of expert and do put a pf protector overtop of it. It moves but barely I would highly doubt it would hurt the existing lifting.

Sorry to hear this tale of woe. Take heed, all. As they say -- "better" is the enemy of "good enough".

4 weeks later
#669 5 years ago

I will be re-joining the club soon! The right side of the main cabinet is badly faded/flaking so I'd like to get a new decal for it. As some of you have run into, you can't buy the pieces individually.

1) Does anyone have a right side decal I could buy?
2) Does anyone need the left side, front, and/or backbox decals? We could go in together on a full set and split them up accordingly.

1 year later
#782 3 years ago
Quoted from MDBradley:

Hi all-
Does any of your machines have this fairy vs the drawbridge plastic? Number attached links back to bk2000 plastic set I just have t seen others with this.
[quoted image]

I have the fairy also.

1 week later
#791 3 years ago
Quoted from Looprunner:

I find it very interesting that I have a Stern JP but my kids and their friends are all playing BK2K. They are trying to collect the ransom and jackpot. Lol.

Lately when I get Ransom up to one letter remaining, I stop playing BK2K altogether until someone else collects it. Give them a crack at the crazy fun.

2 months later
#823 3 years ago
Quoted from ChrisLIX:

Hello
I am a new owner of a BK2000. I am curious if there's a way to disable the fact that RANSOM carry between 2 games. I would like all letters disable everytime I start a new game but I found nothing in the manual about this.
If it's not possible, how it would work in a tournament to be fair for 2 players?
Thanks

The manual doesn't appear to say that you can disable it, however adjustment 46 changes how long the Ransom bolt stays lit. In other words, you spell out W-I-N at the top rollovers, and the Ransom bolt lights up for a limited time (that you can set). The manual says the shortest time you can set it for is 3 seconds. With only 3 seconds, it's unlikely anyone would hit it unless the drawbridge is already down, they have a short stay in the pop bumpers, and they make the perfect shot on the first try off the upper flipper.

I just skimmed it really quickly, so you may want to glance through the manual yourself to be sure -- you can find it at https://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=311

2 weeks later
#825 3 years ago
Quoted from Tiltboss:

quick question.. re the last chance.. so do the 2 balls or at least the second ball need to be locked in during the last ball of the game? seems like when i have 2 locked and go into last ball (im on 5) it doesnt light the last chance. bit if i lock one or the 2nd during the 5th ball it lights. can anyone clarify this?

Yes, Last Chance only lights when you lock a 2nd one on your last ball.

1 week later
#827 3 years ago
Quoted from Finrod:

Furthermore, if you light Last Chance, and then light and collect Extra Ball, Last Chance goes out.
It is possible to collect more than one Last Chance in a game. You have to collect it, light and collect Extra Ball, and then you can light and collect Last Chance again while playing the extra ball.

Interesting! Didn't realize this -- usually I've collected extra balls earlier in the game and the timer is too short by then, lol.

5 months later
#863 2 years ago

With the counting of the skyway loops to apply to the bonus, can anyone else confim -- does it top out at 99?

I had an absolutely epic game the other day -- my best ever, 29,548,250 -- and I knew my skyway loop total was getting way up there ... it was 80 something before my last ball. Then after my last ball ended it say 99 loops (and 27 u-turns)...so I was curious if that was a coincidence or does it just top out?

Screenshot_20210327-172252_Gallery (resized).jpgScreenshot_20210327-172252_Gallery (resized).jpg
9 months later
#970 2 years ago
Quoted from stefallica:

is there a way in the settings to have a magna save at the beginning of each ball? if yes, how?

It doesn't appear so. Per the manual, adjustment 32 gives you the option to have it at the beginning of the game, but no option for each ball.

Quoted from stefallica:

Also , is it possible to gain a magna save once you used it?

Hitting all the KNIGHT drop targets should re-light your kickback and magna save.

6 months later
#1036 1 year ago

Hey all, trying to work out why my 'I' target isn't working -- please see individual thread at https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/black-knight-2000-drop-target-not-registering ... thanks!

1 week later
#1040 1 year ago
Quoted from Michel_K17:

Joined the club today

YOU CAN DO IT YOU CAN DO IT

3 weeks later
#1047 1 year ago
Quoted from wrd1972:

Joining the club.
I've got a question regarding building the bonus. It seems that the end of ball bonus I am typically seeing is fairly low. I can have seemingly a very good ball, but the EOB bonus might be 10k if that.
Even if you have the multiplier at 5x, it's of little benefit if you barely have any bonus.
So what do you have to do to build a good bonus on BK2K?
Thanks.

The bonus is built up by the cumulative number of upper loops and U-turns (over the course of the game). So keep the ball alive longer, collect lots of those, and increase your multiplier, and you'll be on your way to good bonuses.

The upper loop counter maxes out at 99, in case you're wondering....

1 year later
#1121 4 months ago
Quoted from topkat:

When you shop, just make sure the upper flipper is strong. Its hard enough at times to make that ramp, but if the flipper is weak it makes it frustrating.

This is my #1 complaint on BK2Ks I encounter in the wild (usually at expos/conventions), more often than not the upper flipper is too weak and you can't make the castle ramp. Maddening.

1 week later
#1131 4 months ago
Quoted from WombatPinball:

Hey guys!! Just joined the club today but I definitely have some work to do!! I’ve never worked on a system 11 game before so this will be all new to me! The game turns on but gives me factory settings upon start up. I replaced the batteries and now I can at least bypass that and get to the gameplay, but I have to do that each time I start it up. Now the fun part. I know I have a couple switches to replace, no problem there but my flippers are all not working and the trough eject to the shooter lane, while it is firing, is not kicking the ball into the lane. Where do I start? Thanks so much guys, I cannot wait to bring this baby back to life!!

If you're getting that every time you boot up even with new batteries, then it's likely the contact(s) for your battery mount/housing may be corroded or may have cold solder. If you find it's corroded you can replace the whole battery housing with a new one (desolder & remove old one, purchase & solder in new one), or you can move the batteries to an off-board source like a lot of folks do.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Toppers
+CY Universal
Toppers
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.
Sound/Speakers

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider SkyKing2301.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/black-knight-2000-club?tu=SkyKing2301 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.