(Topic ID: 94003)

Black Knight 2000 Club - Knights of the Lightning Wheel.

By NextoPin

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,244 posts
  • 230 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 36 hours ago by cidtrip
  • Topic is favorited by 128 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

issue (resized).png
IMG_0270 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0343 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0267 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0269 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0268 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0266 (resized).jpeg
BK2K sticker (resized).jpg
20240409_121916 (resized).jpg
IMG_0329 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0230 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
20240202_133818 (resized).jpg
20240201_210703 (resized).jpg
20240129_213624 (resized).jpg
20240129_213924 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Pinballer73.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#886 2 years ago
Quoted from boagman:

I take it that the final product would be a *lot* smoother than what I'm seeing in the prototype, yes? I know that's me being nitpicky at this early stage, but I can't help but wince at the roughness of the thing.
I have to admit that, even though I'm a stone-cold purist in this way, I'm still *very* interested to see what the end result of having it changed to feed the right inlane would be like. It wouldn't be "right", but it would certainly be *interesting*, and it would very much change the way the game is played if so...and it would definitely make Magna-Save more difficult to implement because vision of that area would then be partially obscured. I'm both repulsed by the idea *and* intrigued by the idea at the same time. Curiosity is getting the better of me, though...I can admit that.

Definitely interested in one of these as unfortunately my game is missing this piece. Have you considered having them chrome plated like the originals? Whilst it might cost more, it might also deliver more interest and help to reduce the overall cost.

1 month later
#910 2 years ago

Me too, definitely in for one. Thanks for stepping up and offering to make them.

6 months later
#1002 2 years ago
Quoted from JuanSolo:

Really could use some help/Ideas on this BK2K I have been working on.
It's a friends BK2K. The entire Playfield was swapped, it worked fine before the swap.
-After the Playfield swap the game would boot and freeze after the "I AM THE BLACK KNIGHT" callout and display 00.
-Before I touched it the owner moved the CPU board to Swords of Fury, (without switching any ROM chips) The game booted and then froze, like it did in BK2K, displaying 00. (I did not see this, but I trust him, read further and you'll see why it's confusing)
-He decided it was something on the PCB after that "test", so he asked me to look at it. I found some really black diodes and some build up of corrosion on connector pins, and tons of cold/crappy looking solder joints. I replaced the fishy diodes, re-flowed the solder on the entire board, as well as emory-clothed all connector pins and the legs of each removable IC. I also installed NVRAM and removed the remote battery. Under the original battery tray there were a lot of scratches across traces but none seemed to go too deep into the green solder mask.
-When I installed the board It booted, I could add coins, and start a game. I completed an entire game and it worked fine for 2 games. I left victorious. He turned it on hours later and started a game, and the similar problem happened again, this time though in the middle of his game. Frozen and 00 displayed. From this point on it is randomly Freezing & displaying 00 or rebooting (exiting out of the in progress game and back to attract mode)
-So I came back and checked all of the connectors, re-seated everything, same issue
-Swapped the ROM chips with Swords of Fury, then swapped the PCBs (So the SOF PCB was in the BK2K with the BK2K ROMS...and BK2K PCB was in SOF with SOF ROMS) and the Game worked perfectly fine in SOF....but the exact same issue happened on BK2K with the random freeze/reboot after (or during 1-2) games. (indicating to me it was not the PCB)
*this confused me as it seemed the issue was NOT following the PCB....which contradicts the initial information the owner gave me.
-So this made me think it might be the ROM chips because that was the only constant (Besides the Playfield+CPU Chips+other PCBs) So I bought new ROMS and put them in, still the same problem using the SOF board with the BK2K chips.
-I bought new CPU chips as well (MC6802P) came in a pack of 5. when I replace U24 with the new CPU chip the game boots and has the same Freeze/Reboot issue. If I replace U15 with a new chip, the machine doesn't boot (Same thing happened in Mousin Around & SOF so it could just be the new CPU chips, however it's weird that it works fine in U24) Only if U15 has one of the original MC6802P chips will the game boot (and have the same Freeze/reboot issue)
-I have swapped every combination of PCBs and CPU chips in his SOF AND Mousin' Around and the issue Never follows the PCB or chips....I am unable to replicate his initial "The problem followed the PCB" diagnosis.
-Now I am at a loss, I have inspected tons of Diodes (I know testing them while installed isn't super reliable) but they seem Ok, I did find one on that looked toasted on the upper-playfield-target bank (and wasn't letting any current pass either direction) so I replaced that one (although it tested fine once removed)
-I have tried playing a game with the sound PCB unplugged, all of the display wires unplugged, and I went one-at-a-time unplugging each Connector from every board, booting up, starting a game (as long as the connector didn't disable the start button) and the Freeze/reboot would still happen randomly. I also tried with the upper playfield hardware unplugged (The lower PCB with J1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8 connectors), I have swapped the Power PCB, and the Aux-Power-Driver PCB with SOF & Mousin Around (ones that matched) and no luck, same Frozen and 00 display/random reboot issue on the BK2k table regardless of what known good hardware is in it from the other 2 machines.
any Ideas?

Are you sure it isn't a powersupply related problem. Have you checked back through the power wiring from the main board looking for heat stressed connectors?

1 year later
#1191 3 months ago

This game really needs a set of accurate insert decals. So many BK2K playfields could be restored.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Vancouver, BC
Machine - For Sale
Matthews, NC
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 12.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

Machine - For Sale
Titusville, FL
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 39.99
$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

4,500 (OBO)
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Pinballer73.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/black-knight-2000-club?tu=Pinballer73 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.