(Topic ID: 94003)

Black Knight 2000 Club - Knights of the Lightning Wheel.

By NextoPin

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,227 posts
  • 227 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 days ago by Gedc
  • Topic is favorited by 124 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0230 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
20240202_133818 (resized).jpg
20240201_210703 (resized).jpg
20240129_213624 (resized).jpg
20240129_213924 (resized).jpg
20240129_214922 (resized).jpg
IMG_5984 (resized).jpeg

There are 1,227 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 25.
#301 7 years ago
Quoted from shaub:

Does anyone know where I could find a decent quality scan of the drop target decals? I've also seen decals, though I don't remember where, for the drawbridge targets, anyone know if those are available anywhere?

Here are some on eBay:

ebay.com link: NEW PRODUCT BLACK KNIGHT 2000 Pinball Cushioned Target Protectors

However, I only recommend them for use on the drawbridge (upper) targets because of their thickness. I tried them on the lower drop targets, but their thickness got them stuck on the playfield when the target dropped. I like their quality and appearance though, so you could just buy a set and have spares for your upper targets. Since they aren't an original design some wouldn't like them, but I do.

4 weeks later
#302 7 years ago
Quoted from tilted81:

Hey guys, new owner here. Someone replaced the speakers in mine w/ 2way 4 ohm speakers and just wanted to ask if these were right? I swear I read somewhere it's supposed to use 8ohm speakers.. I don't wanna overwork the amp if I crank it

Did you figure this out? I just picked one up recently and redid the audio. It looked like everything was stock when I got it. Indeed Cabinet and Left Backbox speaker were 8-ohm. The right speaker, wired in parallel with the left, was just a little tweeter.

Look carefully at the wiring, it's likely a common change just to put a pair of 4-ohm 2-way speakers in the backbox, and just wire them in series so the amp sees 8-ohms. I think that would sound good, but personally, I like the pseudo-stereo effect of midrange on the left and tweeter on the right with controllable balance to the cabinet woofer. I went with this WPC-like set up on mine and really like the results.

2 weeks later
#303 7 years ago

I just replaced my speakers with Flipper Fidelity's kit. Speakers sound much better than the almost 30 years old original speakers. But, the soundtrack does have some distortion when I crank it up. I don't think it's the speakers, sounds like it's either the original sounds or the amp. Looks like pinsound.org doesn't have a sound board for this game. Do others have distortion in their game or is it just mine? Anybody solve distortion if you had it?

#304 7 years ago

Hey Bob86,

My machine has distorted vocals but the music is fine. Even when I lower the volume the choir / singing tracks are distorted. I too am looking for a replacement audio board. I have not found one yet but have emails in to Rottendog and Pinsound. I don't know much about the amp but would think the sound files are being driven through a single amp and both music and vocals should be distorted. For me, only the vocals are distorted which makes me think it is board - maybe a voltage issue? I am very well versed in electronics but learning.

#305 7 years ago

I don't think it was a good recording honestly. There is a lot of hiss (for lack of a better term) in every one I have heard.

To me it sounds like a lower quality compression. That said, it is still better than many new machines soundtracks. LOL

Chris

#306 7 years ago

Can one of you fellow knights of the lightning wheel post a picture of, or tell me which colored wires go where on the flipper solenoids? Mine were cut, and I'm hoping for some help, please.

Thanks in advance

-Scott

#307 7 years ago
Quoted from HighVoltage:

Did you figure this out? I just picked one up recently and redid the audio. It looked like everything was stock when I got it. Indeed Cabinet and Left Backbox speaker were 8-ohm. The right speaker, wired in parallel with the left, was just a little tweeter.
Look carefully at the wiring, it's likely a common change just to put a pair of 4-ohm 2-way speakers in the backbox, and just wire them in series so the amp sees 8-ohms. I think that would sound good, but personally, I like the pseudo-stereo effect of midrange on the left and tweeter on the right with controllable balance to the cabinet woofer. I went with this WPC-like set up on mine and really like the results.

Been busy so it's been sitting. Both 6.5's were upgraded to 4ohm 2 ways ( but the tweeters were removed making them just woofers) and the original 4 ohm?? Piezo tweeter is still in the backbox but with no capacitor on it... the speakers are wired in series.. I'll be honest I don't think it sounds bad but I just wanna make sure I'm not overworking the amp. I'm also planning on adding an 8 to the cab for a little more punch but need to know if I should be using 8ohm or 4

#308 7 years ago
Quoted from iron00monkey:

Can one of you fellow knights of the lightning wheel post a picture of, or tell me which colored wires go where on the flipper solenoids? Mine were cut, and I'm hoping for some help, please.
Thanks in advance
-Scott

Okay, I got it figured out and working

#309 7 years ago

Hello all,
Just got back from the holidays and fired up my BK2K. For some reason the sound volume is extremely low now. Sound is still coming out of both speakers, but I have no idea why it would suddenly be much quieter. I ran through the settings, but couldn't seem to find a volume toggle. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

#310 7 years ago

It's a white nylon knob you turn under your playfield on the left side behind your tilt bob

#311 7 years ago

Found it. Thanks. I've never touched it before so I wonder why it would have suddenly changed volume on its own. It's back to normal now though so thanks again.

#312 7 years ago
Quoted from Triggerfish:

I've never touched it before so I wonder why it would have suddenly changed volume on its own

If the pot is going bad, sometimes you'll hit areas where it's on the verge of not working. My crappy computer speakers do the same thing, and I have to either go up or down to get it to work. variable resistors suck.

#313 7 years ago
Quoted from Triggerfish:

Found it. Thanks. I've never touched it before so I wonder why it would have suddenly changed volume on its own. It's back to normal now though so thanks again.

I had this exact same thing happen on my Space Shuttle too, where it sounded like all the bass dropped out and the sound was super quiet. A tiny turn of the volume knob brought it back up to full sound. (I keep it at relatively low volume.) My guess was perhaps enough vibration over time may have turned the knob ever so slightly.

#314 7 years ago
Quoted from SkyKing2301:

I had this exact same thing happen on my Space Shuttle too, where it sounded like all the bass dropped out and the sound was super quiet. A tiny turn of the volume knob brought it back up to full sound. (I keep it at relatively low volume.) My guess was perhaps enough vibration over time may have turned the knob ever so slightly.

Of course, you're not keeping BK2K at low volume... that's sacrilege

#315 7 years ago

To go with all this audio talk, I still haven't found a solution for my issue with the music tracks being incomplete; I have no drums across the entire game.

Can any of you please burn me a set of sound ROMs? PM me!

#316 7 years ago

I've brought back volume knobs with a spray can of electrical contact cleaner. Spray the heck out of the internals and work the knob a whole bunch through it's entire range.

#317 7 years ago

Hi all!

New to the group and forums but been in pinball for a very long time. In fact if anyone used to be in to Visual Pinball, if you remember a Castlevania themed table with the map in the center, that was my work.

I just recently picked up a great deal on a BK2K completely by luck! Couldn't be happier with it! I already switched out the original plasma display (which is still in working order) for a PinScore display and did a few other fixes and was getting ready to enjoy playing for a while before really digging in hard on the repairs and upgrades when a slingshot post broke on me a couple of days ago and that was that Now I'm neck deep in a partial rebuild.

I do have new cabinet decals (the right side doesn't look bad but on the left the red has almost completely faded out along with a lot of the yellow) and a complete plastics and rubber kit (both black and white), the latter two along with a couple of solenoid coils and mech parts were graciously provided by the seller.

The only unfortunate thing is this machine obviously had someone in it's past that was either uncaring or a novice. It's had two minor fires in it, one on the upper right flipper and one on the GI lighting in the back box... Who ever repaired those REALLY loved electrical tape... And didn't have access to much of a wire selection. The Interconnect board was patched (had four different VAPORIZED traces) with four different gauges of wire... Two of them solid wire... and two of the gauges in the same patch between two pins.
Not to mention a lot of the underside of the UPF has a layer of black soot on it...

Fortunately I just put in a SECOND order from Marco's (I imagine those guys must love me right now ) for a bunch of hardware, connectors, and a few extra things... (The first order was for a mess of replacement parts and an LED upgrade for my other table Xenon). Right now I'm only planning an "Intermediate" update. Mainly LEDs, rubbers, and maybe one or three little mods...

Looking forward to some fun interactions on here! ^_^

I must admit though, this entire past week I've been spending a lot of time just looking at my BK2K (I imagine with a rather stupid grin) sitting in my apartment and every time I do I wait to wake up and find this was all a dream. Even in it's partially torn down state I can help but be excited about this game. Back in my old home town this pinball WAS MY GAME and I never dared to let myself believe I'd ever get my hands on one. Kinda made up for all of 2016 for me... And in fact I think 2017 is covered too!

Image1 (resized).jpgImage1 (resized).jpg

#318 7 years ago

Like every other person who plays both, I rock at this game on Pinball Arcade, and got my ass handed to me on it tonight in league.

I so wish there was a BK3.

#319 7 years ago

Hey, actually does anyone know where I can find a semi-detailed rubber layout for BK2K? according to the manual there should only be 5 of the 5/8" rings for the posts on the UPF, but I count 6. Plus the kit that I got had a couple of bands that I had some trouble identifying were they went. I think I got most of them and the rings that weren't included (like the bumper for the small red post on the left) I've already ordered replacements for. Just wondering if there's a decent placement diagram somewhere...

#320 7 years ago
Quoted from l_c_r_ant:

Hey, actually does anyone know where I can find a semi-detailed rubber layout for BK2K?

https://www.titanpinball.com/kits/index.php/browse/bygame/691

BKCoilRingInfo[1] (resized).jpgBKCoilRingInfo[1] (resized).jpg

#321 7 years ago

So I am JUICED because tomorrow night I'm picking up one of my grails, https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/42981 , I see there are "chrome caps" for the bumpers, and those padded target protectors, toppers, but are there any other "mods" for this game that I should check out? I am a fiddler, so when I get a game that works 100% I need to add some little touches and I'm just wondering if there is anything worthwhile I can do to it while I'm putting in the TITAN rubbers and comet LED's

Also is there a "bulb map" available for this game anywhere? Would like to order colored comets but need to plan accordingly, obviously

#322 7 years ago

Sorry toyotaboy I've seen that before and that's Black Knight, not Black Knight 2000.

#323 7 years ago

bimm25i,

I recently added this shooter. It looks and feels great.

IMG_5122 (resized).JPGIMG_5122 (resized).JPG
IMG_5120 (resized).JPGIMG_5120 (resized).JPG

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/medieval-knight-coin-shooter-mod

#324 7 years ago

Played a virtual pin this weekend. (Still don't really like it, but I had time to kill and no real pins available.) Played BK2K and noticed the virtual PF had a few typos...

RAMSON
20170113_092038 (resized).jpg20170113_092038 (resized).jpg

also
RAMNSON
20170113_092105 (resized).jpg20170113_092105 (resized).jpg

Cue the inappropriate jokes....

#325 7 years ago

How do you RAMNSON something???

1 week later
#326 7 years ago

Upper right flipper is weaker than I remember. This game had some issues and i had someone fix it. I do not have a capacitor on this flipper. I see that the bottom flippers have these. Should the upper flipper also haVe a capacitor?

2 weeks later
#327 7 years ago

Hey can someone lift up their playfield and take a pic of the playfield tilt switch? As you can see, mine is missing, and I'm suspecting this could have something to do with the phantom tilts my machine occasionally throws.

As you can see, mine is missing, but I believe these three wires (white/brown, green/brown, green/red) would connect to it. So I'd like to possibly install a new one (or simulate one) and see if that resolves the issue.

20170213_181834 (resized).jpg20170213_181834 (resized).jpg

20170213_181946 (resized).jpg20170213_181946 (resized).jpg

#328 7 years ago
Quoted from SkyKing2301:

Hey can someone lift up their playfield and take a pic of the playfield tilt switch? As you can see, mine is missing, and I'm suspecting this could have something to do with the phantom tilts my machine occasionally throws.
As you can see, mine is missing, but I believe these three wires (white/brown, green/brown, green/red) would connect to it. So I'd like to possibly install a new one (or simulate one) and see if that resolves the issue.

Those wires do connect to the PF tilt switch, the 2 grn/red wires connect together to one contact, and the wht/brn goes to the other contact. My switch was missing when I got mine too. Having no switch simulates a switch that is open, so you can leave it missing, or add the switch, but good luck finding a complete switch assembly new, I had to buy a used one from ebay. Any system 11 switch will work from 1987 to 1989, but Williams didn't use a PF tilt switch on many games. The one I bought came from a Fire!, and works perfectly.

#329 7 years ago
Quoted from TheOnlyest:

Those wires do connect to the PF tilt switch, the 2 grn/red wires connect together to one contact, and the wht/brn goes to the other contact. My switch was missing when I got mine too. Having no switch simulates a switch that is open, so you can leave it missing, or add the switch, but good luck finding a complete switch assembly new, I had to buy a used one from ebay. Any system 11 switch will work from 1987 to 1989, but Williams didn't use a PF tilt switch on many games. The one I bought came from a Fire!, and works perfectly.

Hmm, ok. Thanks for the info -- I guess it's ok as-is. I'm having a strange problem in which, about 40% of the time, the right outlane triggers a Tilt. I haven't been able to figure out why. I did start a thread on it (over here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1989-black-knight-2000-miscellaneous-minor-gremlins ), so I ought to follow-up on some of the other suggestions there. (Things got busy.) If any of you have other suggestions, I'm all ears.

I tested the diode at that switch, and even though it came back good, I replaced it anyway. I figure the next simple step would be to replace the switch itself to see if that changes anything.

#330 7 years ago

Also, one other random thought on the issue: I was perusing the manual yesterday and stumbled upon the 'Tilt Warning' adjustment setting. I got excited, thinking maybe if I had this set up, maybe the outlane-phantom-tilt issue might register as a warning instead of a full tilt. I went into my settings last night, and sadly found it was already set at 3. I upped it to 5 anyway, but in the first game after that, right outlane still triggered a tilt (i.e., no warning). sigh ...

#331 7 years ago

The tilt warning only pertains to the plumb, the PF tilt and slam tilt do not give warnings, instant kill. Assuming you have traced down all the wiring, if I was having this issue, the first thing I would do is replace the switch matrix chip.
Out of curiosity, have you tried starting a game and then touching those PF tilt switch wires to simulate the closed switch? I would be curious as to what the result would be.

#332 7 years ago
Quoted from TheOnlyest:

The tilt warning only pertains to the plumb, the PF tilt and slam tilt do not give warnings, instant kill. Assuming you have traced down all the wiring, if I was having this issue, the first thing I would do is replace the switch matrix chip.
Out of curiosity, have you tried starting a game and then touching those PF tilt switch wires to simulate the closed switch? I would be curious as to what the result would be.

Aha, good to know. So it's definitely not an issue at the plumb bob, as that would throw warnings. Whatever the "miscommunication" is, it's gotta be related to the (nonexistent) PF tilt or slam tilt.

No, I haven't tried that. Makes perfect sense to try, though at the same time it terrifies me -- touch wires together with the power on? Ack! lol

Ack!Ack!

#333 7 years ago
Quoted from SkyKing2301:

Aha, good to know. So it's definitely not an issue at the plumb bob, as that would throw warnings. Whatever the "miscommunication" is, it's gotta be related to the (nonexistent) PF tilt or slam tilt.
No, I haven't tried that. Makes perfect sense to try, though at the same time it terrifies me -- touch wires together with the power on? Ack! lol

The lack of a PF tilt switch is not the problem, period. and touching the wires cant hurt anything, its a ground trigger. Just make sure you touch all 3 wires together, the 2 grn/red wires must be connected together at all times, just as they are in your pic.

#334 7 years ago
Quoted from TheOnlyest:

The lack of a PF tilt switch is not the problem, period. and touching the wires cant hurt anything, its a ground trigger. Just make sure you touch all 3 wires together, the 2 grn/red wires must be connected together at all times, just as they are in your pic.

Ok, here's how the testing went:
-- Started a game.
-- Manually pushed the plumb bob to the ring. Game registered and gave a 'Danger' warning.
-- Manually touched the grn/red & grn/brown wire ends to the white/brown wire end (to simulate playfield tilt). Game registered a Tilt and ended the ball only.
-- Manually closed the slam tilt on the coin door. Game registered a Tilt and ended the game.

Since we've now demonstrated that the three Tilt types have different 'consequences' (warning, kill ball, kill game), then we can therefore conclude my right-outlane-phantom-tilt is being treated like a Playfield Tilt. It doesn't tell us why, but at least it may help narrow it down some. Next thoughts?

Note: I went into Switch Edge test mode, and manually cycled the right outlane switch approximately 40 times. It never once registered as anything except right outlane.

#335 7 years ago

Hmmm... Based on all that info, your game is working perfectly... In theory anyway!
You truly have a ghost in your machine, and im afraid we may reached a point where this nearly impossible to troubleshoot without having my hands on it.
Since the PF tilt switch and the right outlane do not share a common switch matrix row or column, AND they register correctly in test mode, its obviously not a switch matrix problem.
So, im leaning toward a logic problem, whereas the CPU is not properly handling the input its getting from the matrix. This can be dozens of different causes that you need a hands-on tech to troubleshoot with the proper testing devices.
Testing should be done on the circuits that pertain the the type of tilt you're getting from the outlane switch.

#336 7 years ago
Quoted from TheOnlyest:

You truly have a ghost in your machine

I'll think of it as a dirty trick played by the Black Knight himself, and it'll help motivate better nudging and use of that Magna Save!

It's really more of a nuisance than anything. Sure, lose end of ball bonus, not too critical. Really the only time it kills you is when you're mid-multiball and THEN it phantom-tilts.

Sadly, I won't be able to get further into it if there's nothing else simple I can try. After this weekend this game will be moving on to a new owner, a friend of mine (it's his grail) who is aware of the issue.

Considering it was DOA when I got it, and the assortment of surgeries and repairs I had to perform (and everything I learned along the way) to get it to where it is now ... I'm proud that this minor glitch has been its only remaining issue. This machine had been a blast both to fix and play.

It's been an honor to count myself one amongst you other noble knights.

Stand up and fight!!!

#337 7 years ago

Very well then, perhaps he will have some luck figuring it out. BK2K is my grail also, that said, if mine was acting nuts like yours, I wouldnt sleep until it was right!! lol

#338 7 years ago
Quoted from TheOnlyest:

Those wires do connect to the PF tilt switch, the 2 grn/red wires connect together to one contact, and the wht/brn goes to the other contact. My switch was missing when I got mine too.

My pf tilt switch is also missing and wires are taped up.

20170214_233216 (resized).jpg20170214_233216 (resized).jpg

Any chance you can swap the MPU with a friend's game? Only needs to be a system 11B game, not necessarily BK2K.

#339 7 years ago
Quoted from TheOnlyest:

Very well then, perhaps he will have some luck figuring it out. BK2K is my grail also, that said, if mine was acting nuts like yours, I wouldnt sleep until it was right!! lol

What if I just disconnected that outlane switch? Would that upset the machine or knock out a switch matrix column/row? It's a microswitch, so are they "handled"/"seen" differently than a standard leaf switch?

If that wouldn't piss off the machine, the only negatives I could see are:
- loss of outlane points (minimal impact)
- loss of Last Chance if lit (although that's more rare)

But that'd be a better tradeoff for eliminating the phantom tilt, I'd think.

#340 7 years ago
Quoted from SkyKing2301:

What if I just disconnected that outlane switch? Would that upset the machine or knock out a switch matrix column/row? It's a microswitch, so are they "handled"/"seen" differently than a standard leaf switch?
If that wouldn't piss off the machine, the only negatives I could see are:
- loss of outlane points (minimal impact)
- loss of Last Chance if lit (although that's more rare)
But that'd be a better tradeoff for eliminating the phantom tilt, I'd think.

All switches report the same way, regardless of type. It wouldn't hurt anything, but only remove the single return wire, leave the 2 ground wires connected.

#341 7 years ago
Quoted from TheOnlyest:

All switches report the same way, regardless of type. It wouldn't hurt anything, but only remove the single return wire, leave the 2 ground wires connected.

Alright. Thanks again for all your time & help! I'll consider this option for the co-workers' tournament I'm hosting on Saturday.

#342 7 years ago

One thing to look for would be a loose wire creating a short or an unintended connection... I'd follow the wiring to the PF switch all the way back to the boards. Check for bare wire, weird stuff where it doesn't belong, etc. Sometimes when people do a sloppy job soldering they create unintended connections.

#343 7 years ago

Went to have another look at this today. I'm hosting a tournament tonight, so I decided disconnecting the switch would be the best way to keep it fair. I wasn't sure which wire to undo though -- one has a plug end, and the other is soldered. I pulled the plug end off, and tested everything, and all the other game functions seemed to work fine.

I realized I hadn't ever disconnected the switch, so on a whim, I plugged it back in. I put about four games on it, and also pulled the glass and MANUALLY cycled the switch during a game literally 50 consecutive times -- and it never ONCE registered as a tilt. Not a single time.

So ... perhaps it was just a bad connection in the plug? Perhaps a little surface oxidation over time, I dunno? Anyway, I'm cautiously optimistic. We'll see how it behaves during the party -- but considering all the successful cycles since unplugging/replugging, may it's finally solved? <knocks on side of cabinet>

3 weeks later
#344 7 years ago
Quoted from shaub:

Could anyone post a picture of the area just above the flipper so I can compare how mine is set up?

Hi guys, I'm also involved in this trouble. Adjusted the angle of the bat it helps a lot, but the bouncing off from rubber above the win lanes is the next issue.
How can I solve it? I want to replace *JJJ* in the loop championship

3 weeks later
#345 6 years ago

Have a full, still sealed CPR plastic set for BK2000.
Sold game awhile ago no need for these anymore.
$145 shipped US lower 48 states.
hit me with a PM if interested.
Added over 7 years ago: $140 shipped

Added over 7 years ago: SOLD!

1 week later
#346 6 years ago

Hello, I've been wanting to own a BK2 for years now. I need your advise please. Is this PF wasted? What would cause the inserts to look this bad, and can BK2 inserts be replaced? Thanks!

BK2 (resized).jpgBK2 (resized).jpg

#347 6 years ago

Holy snot.

#348 6 years ago
Quoted from Jumping-Box:

Hello, I've been wanting to own a BK2 for years now. I need your advise please. Is this PF wasted? What would cause the inserts to look this bad, and can BK2 inserts be replaced? Thanks!

Looks like someone peeled off the mylar on the lower PF -- on BK2K it takes the ink with it. Then they left the whole machine outside in a sandstorm

#350 6 years ago

Wasn't someone contemplating making a run of repro playfields?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Machine - For Sale
Matthews, NC
$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.
Toys/Add-ons
There are 1,227 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 25.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/black-knight-2000-club/page/7?hl=onlydjz and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.