View topic image gallery

Backbox (resized).jpg
IC back (resized).jpg
New Molex (resized).jpg
New pins (resized).jpg
IC J7 Burn (resized).jpg
IC Front (resized).jpg
#1 11 months ago

New machine several weeks back. Was getting 3.2v or so on backpanel GI bulbs. Removed interconnect board and found it to be burnt up in places with solder traces and jumper wires..as expected from the pics and feedback from the forum. Attached the old photos..and also the new

Repinned J7 - did both the pins on the interconnect board and new connector with molex .156 trifurcon crimps. I haven't touched the incoming feed which plugs onto J6 ( vertical on side of board ) as that has black jumper wires a plenty linking to burned off tracks and I didn't want to play with too much first time soldering.

After re-installing i now see 4.2v at the backpanel GI bulbs which is an improvement but not quite what it should be.

Checked directly at transformer outputs and on Yellow / Yellow White wires I'm getting 5.6v AC when it should be 5.9v - not sure if that is major ?

At the other end of those wires on the IDC plug I get 5.3v so some voltage drop...

At J7 ( GI lights ) across pins 10 & 8 and 9 & 7 i also get 5.3v so the jumper wires from J6 are working.

However when i plug the new connector back in and check the voltage on the backboard wires I am seeing 4.2v across each bulb.

The lights all work but still look a bit dim in a lit room.

What should i be looking for that is causing the voltage drop between the interconnect board and the GI bulbs. Could it be resistance in the bulbs or the old bulb holders ? Anything to check next thanks.

Cheers

Ged
IC Front (resized).jpgIC Front (resized).jpgIC J7 Burn (resized).jpgIC J7 Burn (resized).jpg

New pins (resized).jpgNew pins (resized).jpgNew Molex (resized).jpgNew Molex (resized).jpg
#2 11 months ago

I think you need to reseat the GI connectors at the back of the transformer in the bottom of the cabinet. Any burnt connector housing there? The GI wires are just the yellow ones standing alone from the others.

FYI. The slo blo fuse you have in F1 is an inferior fuse. These will blow out just after certain amounts of power cycles of the game. Need to upgrade to better brand of slo blo fuses.

Edit: Your F1 is blown in the 2nd picture already.

#3 11 months ago

That connector looks sketchy. Remove it, use a new male connector and stitch the common pins together (yellow to yellow) yellow white to yellow white) on the back of the board while fixing any bad traces first.

Do all new female pins and make sure everything is correct vs the manual (don’t trust what is there)

#4 11 months ago

Thanks for coming back so quickly. To update. GI connectors have already been broken apart so i could check the voltages directly at the transformer - 5.6v which was straight from the connector on transformer. No yellowing and seemed to be in good nick. I have purchased a box of fuses so will swap them out. I appreciate the fuse in the picture looks blown but was removed from the board and tested when i was soldering J7 into place and passed.

I can remove the connector and put another one in. What's best way to remake the traces as they were burned off by looks of things. The back of the board for j6 is well burnt. Use jumper wires again? You can see a completely missing trace as an example between F1 fuse and J5. I've been through with a meter and all jumper wires connect to where they should as per the schematics. What would cause the voltage drop from 5.3v to 4.2v between J7 and the backboard ?

#5 11 months ago

You can have continuity but still lose voltage. I would make sure you use relatively thick wire and ensure you have a solid connection. I’m guessing the female side is a mess as well?

#6 11 months ago

Uploaded the rear side. I've upgraded all the wires to AG18 and re-soldered the tracks and made sure no dry joints etc since this pic was taken. This is as how i found it.

So if i'm getting 5.3v at the J7 pins ( appreciating it's not the full 5.9v) and then get 4.2v at the backbox GI lights, is the issue somewhere between the J7 molex and the GI lights ? A lot of the lights and light connectors look fairly original. If i desolder the connections to the lights in the backbox and test the bare leads would that help in identifying the issue? Thanks...

IC back (resized).jpgIC back (resized).jpg
#7 11 months ago

So. As an update.

I de-soldered one set of wires that was attached to the lamp connection loop on the backboard GI circuit.

The good news ( I think ) is they read 5.3v which exactly matches what the transformer is putting out so the jumpers, tracks and re-pinned connections appear to be working ok.

When i connect them back upto the GI light circuit they read 4.2v again so can i assume the voltage drop is due to a dodgy light fitting or bulb creating resistance in the circuit ?

If so, what's easiest way to determine the culprit(s). Or am i on the wrong path ?

Thanks

#8 11 months ago

One wire can be routed to the wrong place.

#9 11 months ago

PinballManiac40 Sorry.. Don't understand what you mean ? Can you elaborate a bit please. Still somewhat new to all of this and using DMM etc.

I've de-soldered the green / white&green from one of the backboard GI circuits - circled in red. The other GI circuit from J7 - Brown / white&brown is in the top right of the picture.

These come directly from J7 on the interconnect which i replaced due to burning. I'm getting transformer output voltage at these wires until i connect them back upto the GI circuit at which point it drops.

Are you referring to wires in the interconnect or wires on the back of the backboard GI circuit etc.

Thanks

Backbox (resized).jpgBackbox (resized).jpg
#10 11 months ago

If you are saying you removed one of those wires from J6 and that brought up the brightness on all GI that are lit, then sounds like ones of those wires sounds like it is going to the wrong place.

By wrong place, being 2 strings of GI lights tied together when should only one GI string per fuse.

#11 11 months ago

No. I think we have wires crossed sorry. Excuse the pun. Connections are correct as per schematics.

I'm getting about 5.3v at the interconnect board that feeds the GI circuits. I put that down to the transformer only giving out 5.6v instead of 5.9v ( directly at the main connections to it ) and the interconnect board being a bit burned up. I've fixed some pins on it. Those pins are now connected to the GI circuit in the backbox through some wires.

There are 2 x GI strings in the backbox. I've only desoldered one for now to test and get the following

When i measure the voltage across the two wires circled while they are ' in circuit' and the bulbs are lit I get 4.2v.
When i remove the wires from the circuit and the bulbs are taken out of the equation I get the full 5.3v across the wires.

I may well be wrong but had assumed i would also see the 5.3v while they were in circuit and bulbs were lit. I was asking if the voltage drop is due to resistance in the bulbs / wiring / holders etc and if there is a way to reduce that resistance and therefore have brighter lighting ?

#12 11 months ago
Quoted from Gedc:

Are you referring to wires in the interconnect or wires

Yes, J6

#13 11 months ago

What does the female side from the transformer look like? Map out where the yellow and yellow white wires go.

That whole connector needs to be redone

#14 11 months ago

Hey...Transformer plugs/ wires all look good. The yellow and yellow/white wires go from the transformer into J6 on the interconnect board. I've sent off the board today for a repair so will see what comes back and then work through things methodically again. What i can confirm

* At the GI output on the transformer I get 5.6v and not 5.9v AC...That's nothing to do with the burnt connectors on the interconnect...That's at the transformer with no load.

* That drops to 5.3v AC by the time it's made it through all the wires , through the burnt J6 Power connector and out the J7 repinned connector

* That 5.3v AC is present at the insert bulb string in the red circled picture at the end of wires the but when the those wires are connected to the backbox insert string of lights the voltage drops to 4.2v

I still don't fully understand if that voltage drop is normal / acceptable or is being affected by something else. Will wait to get the board back then will start again.

#15 11 months ago

You need to repin the connectors that where attached to the burnt interconnect board headers.

Far as I can tell, J6 interconnect header pins were never replaced.

If you do any work fixing any issues shown in pictures, you need to include new pictures so no one is commenting on old pictures. Words are easily overlooked having old pictures only in your thread.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 39.99
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

4,500 (OBO)
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Machine - For Sale
Vancouver, BC
4,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Peekskill, NY
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Matthews, NC
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/black-knight-2000-2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.