Topic Stats

• 18 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Razor
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

When I power the machine on, the playfield electrify's wants to blow the solenoid fuse, when I take out the left side seven amp slow blow fuse on the power supply It doesn't electrify but the game still won't boot voltage problem it's a system seven.

#2 10 years ago

First do a resistance test on the solenoid that fires, make sure it's not fried. If it's not bad, find out if the transistor that drives it is bad (could be locked on). Of course that probably wouldn't blow a fuse necessarily, I would check for a bad wire causing resistance to go up.

#3 10 years ago

The solenoid isn't locking on you can see electricity through the flipper relays underneath the playfield they glow bright green also a lot of buzzing. When I can get the game started everything works fine play the game for a few hours plays fine. Shut it off for more than 45 minutes to let it cool down the game has a hard time turning back on.

#4 10 years ago

If I were to look for a bad wire am I looking under the playfield or on the power supply itself?

#5 10 years ago

Have you done the standard fixes yet? Sounds like it could be an interconnect issue.

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-bulletproofing-williams-system-6

#6 10 years ago

On the power supply all capacitors have been changed along with the high-voltage resistors the female interconnector was totally replace male connector seems really good all connectors look pretty good nothing is burnt reflow solder on all the pin connectors as well.

#7 10 years ago

Any ideas? Shout out to vid or Hans !!

#8 10 years ago

Bump.

#9 10 years ago

More often than not, this is an issue with the board interconnect, but there are other more complex reasons too.

i'd try re-seating the driver board and see if it help. If that does cure it, remember it is only a temporary fix and plan on doing the interconnect some time in the future.

#10 10 years ago

I did the female side of the 40 interconnect I guess you mean do the male side on the mpu any other thoughts on what it could be. When the game has been on for a few hours turn it off, turn it back on it boots great, no electrical problems but when the games been off for more than 45 minutes to an hour it doesn't want to turn back on and I run into that energizing playfield issue. Along with blowing the solenoid fuse when powering up.

#11 10 years ago

I find just as many problems on the male side, mainly due to ring cracks in the solder joints, and when the board house that did the original manufacturing opted to grind too much on the pins and weaken the joins.

Often you can get away with just removing the old solder and applying fresh, if there's enough material of the pin sticking through the back of the board, but if it was ground down flush you need new headers.

-Hans

#12 10 years ago

Ok thanks Hans ill try that, I ordered a kohout power supply as well just to be on the safe side. I'll report back when it comes in, once again thanx.

#13 10 years ago

One other thing I have eight lights out on the playfield it's the multipliers and the top of the sword I believe it is column eight row 1 if you could tell me what transistor that is, I could change it up thanks. I don't have any schematics.

#14 10 years ago

Bump

#15 10 years ago

This may help as I could not tell what exact switches you were referring to .My first thought was column 8 which is 2J5 pin #2, row 8 is 2J7 pin #8

http://mirror2.ipdb.org/files/310/Williams_1980_Black_Knight_Operators_Handbook.pdf

#16 10 years ago

It turned out being the 5 V regulator on the power supply, put in a new Kohout power supply runs amazing!!
Just wanted to doublecheck column 8 a row 1, I believe it to be Q 77 the TIP 42 transistor can anyone verify that?

#17 10 years ago

Lamp column 8 is Q77, which is a TIP42

Lamp row 1 is Q47, which is a 2N6122 originally, but a TIP41 is equally acceptable.

-Hans

#18 10 years ago

Thanks Hans.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1,059.00
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 53.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Vista, CA
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 959.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/black-knight-2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.