(Topic ID: 101797)

Black Knight (1980) Weird sound problem

By frunch

9 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

Been trying to fix this for longer than I can remember, and recently decided to give it another go. My BK sound is working, but it's playing the incorrect sounds and speech calls. It's been an intermittent problem, doesn't always do it. When it does, though, the incorrect sounds/speech calls are always the same ones. I've crimped new female connector pins, and re-flowed solder to male pins on sound board. I tried a sound board from my buddy's BK and it worked fine, which leads me to believe the MPU and wiring is good. I just replaced the PIA today, but the problem remains--in fact it will only play the incorrect sounds since installing it (for as long as I've tested it). I did try re-seating the ROM and CPU chips at some point, and the problem went away for a couple hours. Turned the game off, then later turned it on and it was back to making the wrong sounds. I did have the board professionally serviced years ago, and it worked fine until the past couple years. There are new caps and the 4 bigger chips on the board all got sockets. not sure what else was done on it, though. I don't believe the ROM chip has ever been replaced, and I'm wondering if that should be my next move. Another sound-related issue that may be another symptom: The background sounds (hard to describe them, but it's like DUN-Dun-dun DUN-Dun-dun) start playing shortly after the game is turned on, and it continues right through diagnostic tests until I do the sound test. As soon as I advance from the sound test, the background sounds start up again. It never used to do that, and I figure whatever is causing the problem may also be responsible for that. So, any ideas what to check?

Thanks!
Trevor

3 months later
#2 9 years ago

My Jungle Lord is behaving very similar. Ever find a fix?
Intermittent problems are a drag.

#3 9 years ago

I was curious if you've gone over everything covered here and if not what steps were skipped?:
http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_System_3_-_7#Sound_.2F_Speech_Board_Issues

#4 9 years ago

For incorrect sounds I would check ICs 5,6 and seven.

#5 9 years ago

Never did manage to get to the bottom of it. It's been working fine for the most part, it's just when I start to think it somehow 'fixed itself' when it finally rears it's head. Once the holidays are over, I'll get back in there and see if I can put the issue to rest.

Only clue I've been able to come up with is that if I remove the sound and speech boards from the game (disconnecting the 40-pin ribbon cable between the sound and speech boards, too), it usually works fine after I put them back in and hook them up--at least for a while. But, then out of the blue it'll act up again--so I can't really say if the 40-pin cable has anything to do with it or not. Seems like it might, but I've been unable to prove it so far. I did recently re-solder the 40-pin connectors on the sound and speech boards, but haven't had the time to test it since. I'll post a follow-up if I make any progress.

Good luck with your Jungle Lord, penguinchicken! Please post here if you find the solution!

6 months later
#6 8 years ago

I know this won't help you, but I finally fixed the Lord, I was lucky, it was only cracked solders on the header pins of the connector near the dip switches on the sound board...
I should have tried this earlier, I had the board out several times!
I had always been sort of a skeptic of the "re-flowing header pin" methodology.
Good luck!

7 years later
#7 1 year ago

Just wanted to follow up on this one--i think it's finally fixed. Re-flowing the headers at 1J8 on the MPU board had helped, but the problem gradually returned. I replaced IC36 thinking that would fix it, but the problem persisted. I finally replaced the headers at 1J8 on the MPU and I'm pleased to report no more weird sounds nor random attract mode nuisance sounds. The problem had gotten pretty consistent, making it a bit easier to narrow down. Flexing the connector at 1J8 finally revealed the issue. Perhaps my re-flowing skills could use a revisiting, but regardless I'm happy to see the problem finally put to rest with the new connector. Hopefully this will help someone else down the road.

It's funny--the problem caused certain speech selections to change sometimes, and it had gotten to the point that the end-of-game speech was often the Knight's laughter!

#8 1 year ago

Thanks for posting this resolution. I think all too often people think replacing header pins is just not needed or overkill. For best results, replace those 40 year old header pins!

#9 1 year ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

Thanks for posting this resolution. I think all too often people think replacing header pins is just not needed or overkill. For best results, replace those 40 year old header pins!

Totally agree. Different problems will pop up over time if all the headers are not replaced.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westjordan, UT
$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 53.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Vista, CA
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 959.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 1,059.00

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/black-knight-1980-weird-sound-problem and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.