• Latest reply 3 years ago by Gnatty
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

E194D085-D4B7-4777-927F-3954CCC29FB1 (resized).jpeg
#1 3 years ago

Hey all. As I continue to dive deeper into my Black Knight restoration, I'm trying to determine what possible problems could be causing a booting issue. It often takes several attempts turning on the machine to get the game to boot and the attract lights/controlled lamps to fire up. I can force it to happen by pressing the button on the MPU and it works as well. Any thoughts on why this could be occurring?

One thought is that I did recently remove the batteries off the board and install a remote battery holder and I'm wondering if I attached the positive and negative wires for the holder in the wrong location. I'm getting 4.5v on my readings but does it matter which + and - terminal I solder the holder wires to? Also, it doesn't appear to be working b/c it keeps erasing my "free play" settings when I reboot. Thanks for the help!
E194D085-D4B7-4777-927F-3954CCC29FB1 (resized).jpegE194D085-D4B7-4777-927F-3954CCC29FB1 (resized).jpeg

#2 3 years ago

It DOES matter where you solder the holder wires to. The positive side of the holder needs to go to the positive side, negative to the negative side. Positive on the board is the +, negative is the -.

It sounds like you are losing settings because the battery is backwards. With the meter black lead on ground, put the red meter lead on the positive point on the board, and you should read positive 4.5VDC.

#3 3 years ago

I don't think you connected to the right terminals. I thought it was lower left and upper right.

Check the traces to make sure you are connected to the ends as they are in serial not parallel format.

#4 3 years ago

OK I swapped them. We'll see how that goes. Thank you.

#5 3 years ago

Did you program the game and go through that cycle so the game has something to remember?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 129.00
Cabinet Parts
Bob's Pinball Stuff

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 53.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 1,059.00
$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 959.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Vista, CA
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/black-knight-1980-intermittent-booting-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.