(Topic ID: 134192)

Black Knight Credits button not working?

By tornado

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by TicTacSeth
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

BK_Playfield_Switch_Locations_Chart.jpg
BK_SW_Matrix.jpg

#1 6 years ago

Hello,

I'm troubleshooting an issue on this table separately but what I've found recently is that I'm unable to put the game into play mode - meaning I can't add credits.

Things to point out:

1) When I do a switch test, 17, 18 and 19 register as having balls on them
2) I have the switch in the coin door pushed
3) I had the game originally set in mode 04-18 to zero, which is free play mode

This at one point allowed me to add credits and play. Now after doing a factory reset, I am unable to change the value in 04-18 from 30 back to 0 - basically the credits button doesn't do anything.

Additionally I cannot simulate a coin drop in the coin door, by pushing on the contacts - neither register a coin drop.

Is there a way to test the voltage on the credits button? Or hard jumper it?

Any suggestions? The game works (outside of the other issue with my solenoids). Thanks

#2 6 years ago

Following up on my own post, pushing down on the 2J2 and 2J3 connectors seemed to help fix this, though the problem still occurs intermittently. I tried pulling the connectors off and then cleaning the pins with rubbing alcohol and a qtip - no change. Any other suggestions? There is a direct correlation to me pushing on the connector to the credit button and coin drop switches registering.

#3 6 years ago

Examine your switch matrix chart. Note that switch #17 is the right ball ramp, #18 is the center ball ramp target and #19 is the left ball ramp.

For the game to start you need switches 41, 42, and 43 to indicated closed.

Reset all drop targets. Remove all of the balls. If you see switches indicated as closed then examine and adjust these switches so that they indicate open and when manually closed they indicate closed.

Clean switches sliding a business card between manually held closed switch contacts. The contacts are flashed with a gold coating that will be destroyed by any more abrasive means of cleaning the contacts. You can add some alcohol to the card to help the cleaning process. I would start with the ball trough switches, 41 42 43.

BK SW Matrix.jpg

#4 6 years ago

I think this diagram makes a little more sense...
BK Playfield Switch Locations_Chart.jpg

#5 6 years ago

If pushing on these two connectors (2J2 and 2J3) fixes the problem, replace the headers and connectors and be done with it. Or can try just reflowing the solder on the headers and see if that is enough.

Be warned to not take the two boards apart (CPU and DRIVER) unless you intend to replace the interboard connectors. Probably a good idea to do that if it has originals. If you don't want to do that, pull it out as one piece.

#6 6 years ago

Replace those connectors! I had the same issue with my BK. Once the pins and plugs were switched, it worked just fine.

#7 6 years ago

Just to close the loop on this, I ended up pulling both boards off (in a married state) and reflowed the 2J2 and 2J3 pins. All works now with the credits button as well as the coin drop switches. Thank you all for the help!

2 months later
#8 6 years ago

That's so ironic.. I currently have the exact same problem.. My machine is in free play mode, and the first problem I noticed was just that I couldn't start a game SOMETIMES.. Then, I notice that I can't adjust the items in the config mode, but hey.. I'm no expert, maybe i'm doing it wrong, but then I did the switch test, and found that it's the whole 2J2-9 column.. Tilt not working, credit switches, etc..
I think I've noticed (or it's my imagination) that the pin 9 on that connector is actually a little taller than the others, so I was going to pull the board off and reflow the pin on the back of the board. I expect this will work because my meter shows the wire is good, even when it's not working for gameplay.. Interesting that someone else had the exact same pin bad...

2 years later
#9 4 years ago

I know this was years ago, but it just helped me lol. Thanks guys!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com
$ 125.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball
Machine - For Sale
Reno, NV
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 959.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
$ 1,059.00
Tools
Pincoder Store

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, become a Pinside+ member!