(Topic ID: 206382)

Black Hole: Was it Licensed from Disney?

By Lawlor_and_Order

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 18 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by o-din
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider noflip95.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from Biffbar:

Gottlieb was part of "Columbia Pictures Company" in the early 80's, if that means anything.

YES , remember:
The Black Hole movie has been produced in 1979 by the "Walt Disney Production".
At this time, the David Gottlieb & Co. was part of "Columbia Picture Company" since 1977 (some archives here : http://www.nytimes.com/1976/12/07/archives/columbia-pictures-moves-to-take-over-d-gottlieb.html ).

I also have a novelty written later by Alan Dean Foster, and it's clearly written on the first page of this book, that is was from the scenario of Jef Rosebrook & Gerry Day, with a "copyright Walt Disney Production 1979". On the Gottlieb's Black Hole flyer, there is no mention of that The theme is indeed the same, but the graphics are differents... so, for sure it was not licensed.

Note also that there is a BIG difference : the title of the film is "THE BLACK HOLE" and the name of the pinball is "BLACK HOLE".

About the game price : I don't know if it was the first, but I remember that (in France) the plays on this pinball are much more expensive than on the others.
My experience is that the black hole marked a turning point in the pinball machine, with its multi-levels, but also with the increase in the price of the games. A little earlier, we also had MARS GOW and it seems to me that prices were still normal.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
Flipper parts
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
3,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Salinas, CA
$ 83.00
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts
Electronics
Machine - For Sale
Bellefonte, PA
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Machine - For Sale
West Point, UT
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball
Other

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider noflip95.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/black-hole-was-it-licensed-from-disney?tu=noflip95 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.