(Topic ID: 276840)

Black Hole Speech cuts out all other sounds

By toberlindacher

3 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 3 years ago

All sounds work except speech. When a speech sound is triggered it sounds like the speech wants to start but doesn't and then all other sounds stop working until I reboot. I have recapped the sound board and have a logic probe.

Pin 8 of the speech chip (U14) stays hi
Pin 7 stays low
Pin 5 produces garbled speech when probed
Pin 4 has no reading.

#2 3 years ago
Quoted from toberlindacher:

All sounds work except speech. When a speech sound is triggered it sounds like the speech wants to start but doesn't and then all other sounds stop working until I reboot. I have recapped the sound board and have a logic probe.
Pin 8 of the speech chip (U14) stays hi
Pin 7 stays low
Pin 5 produces garbled speech when probed
Pin 4 has no reading.

Problem with the speech chip or speech circuit.

If there is a call for speech, the sound board will not play a sound till the speech chip sends a "done speaking" signal. Odds are if you have good voltage and ground to the Votrax chip, the chip might be bad. Just went through that with my Black Hole before selling.

#3 3 years ago

And it’s doing fine, let me say!

#4 3 years ago

Lol

1 month later
#5 3 years ago

This ended up being a 6532 chip on the sound board

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Machine - For Sale
Ottawa, ON
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/black-hole-speech-cuts-out-all-other-sounds and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.