You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20200324_165418 (resized).jpg
20200321_133139 (resized).jpg
20200321_133148 (resized).jpg
#1 4 years ago

Really digging into some projects this week.

Picked up a Black Hole at show last year nonworking. When powered on coils lock on and blows F4 fuse and sometimes if that dont blow the under main playfield fueses blows if left on.

I unplugged the driver board and coils still lock. Checked all 4 bridges in cabinet and the all measure fine. Took measures at fuses in cab and all measure 36 to 39 volts

Read pinwiki: recommends to use eraser on metal tabs for connectors. Then repin. This will take some time.

Couple questions. Best tool for the job to extract pins from both types of connectors. And best pins to buy for the repin. I am not familiar with these pins.

Anything else to check or trouble shoot before my tools and pins show up?

Thank you in advance

#2 4 years ago

What coils? Some are driven by the driver board, some have dedicated drivers

#3 4 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

What coils? Some are driven by the driver board, some have dedicated drivers

All coils. I checked individual boards under PF and they all test good. Unplugged all connections to driver and checked bottle cap transistors on board. All measure accurate.
Even with driver out of game coils lock and fuse blow.

#4 4 years ago

All four drops, both kickout holes, the upkicker, both ball releases, all six pop bumpers, 3 slingshots, and kicker target *all* lock on?

#5 4 years ago

I have unplugged all the self dedicated pop bumper boards under the PF. When I plug any one of them in they lock on. This happens when the Driver board is not plugged in.

Thank you for responding

#6 4 years ago

The pop bumpers aren't related to the driver board. I think they are enabled via one of the switch matrix connectors, though they shouldn't ever lock on by design unless the transistors on the pop bumper boards are bad. Can you test the pop boards in another game?

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

The pop bumpers aren't related to the driver board. I think they are enabled via one of the switch matrix connectors, though they shouldn't ever lock on by design unless the transistors on the pop bumper boards are bad. Can you test the pop boards in another game?

I rebuilt one of the pop bumpers and same result.

Thank you

20200321_133139 (resized).jpg20200321_133139 (resized).jpg20200321_133148 (resized).jpg20200321_133148 (resized).jpg
#8 4 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Problem was on the mpu.
Made sure voltages on power board were good then poped in new MPU. Game plays with minor errors except NO SOUND.

Looking at pinwiki to trouble shoot. Any addition help would be much appreciated. Thank you!

20200324_165418 (resized).jpg20200324_165418 (resized).jpg

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/black-hole-project-coils-locking and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.