New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 209994)

Black Hole Problems Bottom Playfield Burning Lights

By MTPinball

2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by ForceFlow
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 2 years ago

Hi, so i recently got a black hole pinball and its awesome! And i decided to put LEDs in it and i am now running into an issue with the bottom field playfield GI lights that are on the top playfield. with LED lights, they seem to start burning, with smoke, and go from being bright to going to a dim state and then when I put regular halogen bulbs in, when the game shifts from the top playfield to the bottom, the lights spurt on for a blink of a second and then they're all dark and all the halogen bulbs seemed to be ruined cause i'll try and plug them into other sockets of active lights and they won't turn on. I've looked at the relays and the fuses and they seem to be fine. I've looked at other threads and with other people, a problem like this usually also has the flippers not working but they're working just fine and there is electricity going to the sockets.

Also, i've got a slight issue with my multiplier lights where my x5 light, which is LED, won't fully turn off and is Dim the entire time unless you get to the x4 which will then shut off the x5 and the x5 will be bright when you get it in the game.

#2 2 years ago

The light sockets mounted to the bottom of the main playfield which shine down on the lower playfield are supposed to be #313 incandescent bulbs (28 volts). That's the way the circuitry was designed. You're sticking in bulbs rated for 6 volts and operating them at 28 volts. Naturally they are going to burn up.

#3 2 years ago

Ken is 100% correct.
You made an assumption most of us have done... but don't put any LEDs in those sockets.

#4 2 years ago

That makes sense. Thanks!

#5 2 years ago

There is a modification procedure for converting the lower playfield #131 lamps to #44/47 lamps:

http://pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Black_Hole#Replacing_Black_Hole_Lower_Playfield_Illumination_Lamps_with_.2344_Lamps

However, if you're not comfortable making this modification or don't understand aspects of it, I wouldn't advise doing it. Modifying the wiring incorrectly could cause damage.

#6 2 years ago

https://ksarcade.net/313-led-cool-super-bright.html 313 LEDS for Black Hole and Haunted House

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 339.00
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 170.96
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
$ 4.49
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods
$ 22.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 132.00
$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Latenight Weeknight Mods
$ 79.99
Playfield - Decals
FlyLand Designs
$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Mods for your pinballs
$ 30.00
$ 5,899.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro
$ 12.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods
$ 14.95
$ 115.00
Cabinet Parts
Merf's Pins
$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods
€ 8.50
Flipper Parts
Buthamburg
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
$ 30.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
$ 79.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 999.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields
$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Back Alley Creations
$ 18.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Apparel - Men
Great American Pinball
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside