Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Phat_Jay
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

Took a look at a Black Hole today, what do you think a decent deal is for a player's machine BH described below:

Pros:
-Inserts mostly flat
-Drop targets are ok
-Game does start up and play
-All displays appear to work
-Sounds and speech works
-Seller said boards were looked over by professional but didn't look at them myself
-Seller recently replaced rubbers

Cons:
-Some plastics cracked, I would want to buy a new set
-There was some black electrical tape covering about an inch square on the lower playfield, feels like there is a hole under it. I didn't peel it off since it wasn't my game and seller didn't know what was under it. Maybe large spot worn to wood?
-Also there was about a 2-3inch (what appears to be) a crack under mylar in the middle of the lower playfield (mylar was lifting along it)
-Bubbling under mylar (mostly under inserts), both playfields still mylar'd from factory. Would want to remove all mylar, assuming that would be risky.
-Paint worn under mylar for pop bumpers
-Dirty playfield and posts
-Flippers need to be rebuilt and most likely pop bumpers too
-Assuming connectors need to be re-pinned and need to do ground mods
-Cracking of translucent blue on backglass for player 1 display, rest of blackglass ok
-Motor for spinning disc doesn't work
-When I put game into diagnostics, during coil test, main fuse blew, seller said that doesn't happen when game is played. So may or may not be a problem. Seller said boards were looked at.
-Paint on cab head planking/cracking. Also saw a piece of bird poop on back of head. Main body cabinet paint is a little better but large spot of wear to wood on one side.

In my opinion, this game is in player's condition and needs a total shop out. I made a cash offer when I was there in person but he didn't take it. So in your opinion, what's a decent offer for this machine in that condition? I've been wanting this game for quite some time but price needs to be right if I need to put $300-400 into it and plus a ton of time.

Thanks!

#2 9 years ago

Is this the machine for sale in Annville, PA? If it was I emailed about it and seller told me they had done their research and wanted at least $1000 for it.

To me Black Hole is a $1500 to $2000 machine any day of the week (in nice condition) but market on Black Hole machines took a dive about 3 years ago and I have seen nice ones for under $1000 in the past couple years. I sold a project Black Hole last year for $450 and it took me almost a month to get it sold.

The machine you described above sounds like a $750 to $800 machine in my eyes but Black Hole prices are kind of all over the place these days. I know I wouldn't pay a grand for the one you talked about above!

#3 9 years ago

This isn't the one in PA. Seller is asking $1400. I've seen one on Craigslist earlier this year in my area, they were asking $800, was gone next day. Not sure of condition but probably wasn't working. Timing wasn't right for me so didn't see it person or buy it.

#4 9 years ago

taylor34 has one for sale in mfs. Backglass has some flaking but take a look at that playfield. Nice, really nice and he's only asking $600. That bad boy would have been mine but he's a bit too far.

#5 9 years ago

OK - thanks for letting me know. I decided against the one here in PA once she told me at least $1000. I currently own a pretty nice one but figured if I could grab a second one that might be nicer for around $800 or so I would take the plunge. But I know Black Hole can be a tough sale sometimes so I don't want to overpay for one.

Personally I love the machine but with all the talk about new titles coming out and all the good DMD machines on the market earlier machines just are not bringing the prices they did 3 or 4 years ago.

Depending on what area you are from the machine you talked about above is likely in the $800 price range. Maybe $1000 if you really want one and are not concerned about paying a little too much for one.

Hopefully you will get a few more replies. Price point on Black Hole is harder because it is a cool old machine. I was really upset to see them selling for under a grand over the past couple years in pretty nice condition.

#6 9 years ago

At least $800. I went to look at one about a month ago and it was in nowhere near the same condition and that guy was firm at $800.

#7 9 years ago

Paid $1900 for mine. Inserts perfect, factory installed mylar covering most of the PF (no bubbling). Perfect backglass. Cabinet awesome original condition. Not sure if I overpaid but am enjoying every game.

#8 9 years ago

Thanks for your input guys! Seller says there's a couple of interested buyers and if doesn't work out, he'll consider my offer. Basically confirms my suspicion that I offered too much considering condition.

Usually when I'm looking at a project, if I can at least break even after spending the money to fully shop out (not including my time), then I'm happy. I'm not in it to make money, just as hobby and have satisfaction of restoring something. Also, if I'm putting this kind of time and money into it, it's staying for a while!

#9 9 years ago

Also, I think I should mention that he currently has it for sale on Ebay BUT most of the photos on Ebay are NOT of the machine I looked at. He said he had another BH but sold it some days ago. Only the first two photos are of the actual BH for sale, rest are of the one that's gone (and it looks much nicer!). So, just FYI in case if there's any prospective buyers here on Ebay!!!

#10 9 years ago

If you are buying it to play and enjoy I wouldn't worry too much about price under around $1200. To me Black Hole is way under valued and it is a different machine with good art and the unique two level playfield. I don't remember what we paid for ours but I know it was not cheap when we bought it.

It is a shame but earlier SS machines just are not bringing what they should these days. When we got into the hobby about 6 years ago Black Holes were bringing more than they do today? Great machine - why the drop in price is beyond me!

#11 9 years ago

I sold a very nice condition, fully working Black Hole almost a year ago for $1000 and it took me a bit to sell it at that price. I like Black Hole and have owned it more than once but in both cases, I sold it for $1000. I wouldn't pay more than $500 or so for the condition you're describing but that's just me.

I'm sure there will be those who say that my pricing is off but my experience tells me that this is a game that doesn't usually sell for more than around $1,000 or so unless it's in ultra-nice shape.

Dave

3 years later
#12 6 years ago

Bump for current prices

#13 6 years ago

For BH that’s working? $1800-$2200

Awesome game. I’ve had one for several years. Always a non-pinhead favorite... and one of my favorites as well.

#14 6 years ago

Great game, can be a challenge to keep working 100% though, that has some bearing on value as most people don’t like or know how to constantly work on their machines. Awesome game though, plays well, looks great. Early classic.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Ottawa, ON

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/black-hole-price-check and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.