(Topic ID: 328818)

Black Hole Pop Bumper Driver Up In Smoke!

By Magickeith

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by gdonovan
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screen Shot 2023-01-18 at 1.41.29 PM (resized).png
Screen Shot 2023-01-18 at 1.37.53 PM (resized).png
Screen Shot 2023-01-18 at 1.37.23 PM (resized).png
IMG_5179 (resized).JPG
IMG_5178 (resized).JPG
IMG_5180 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider gdonovan.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 1 year ago
Quoted from Magickeith:

The part to the left of the test button was what was smoking (first pic). My questions are as follows.
1. Do aftermarket replacement "all in one" boards need all the ground mods that are talked about with system 80? I figure that would have been corrected in the newer boards.
2. Do the aftermarket pop boards need some mod or special grounding?
3. What do I test before putting in another pop board and burning it up?
4. Can the board that are burnt be salvaged?
5. Also I have one board that has a broken capacitor or something resembling a Motrin tablet? Is that a problem? (see 3rd pic) No idea if that was the good or bad board.

1) Yes- It ties together all the grounds to all the boards and the lower cabinet.
2) Generally no.
3) Check the diode on the pop bumper coil and check the ohms on the coil while the diode is off.
4) That board is easily repaired, so is the factory ones too.
5) Also easy to repair.

I'd look close at the coils and diodes, something is incorrect. Maybe a connector was flipped? When in doubt refer to the wiring diagram.

3 weeks later
#13 1 year ago
Quoted from Magickeith:

Ok...last pop bumper.
I have one final pop not working. I have changed the board to a brand-new board. The red LED light will light up when the button is pressed or when the pop is moved. I have changed the coil to a brand-new coil and it's the same number as the original, it has the diode as well. I soldered it in and when I put a fuse in it instantly blows. I have tried swapping wires on the coil to see if it was backwards, still blows. What am I missing awesome pinball fixer dudes?

Does it pop with no coil hooked up at all?

#15 1 year ago
Quoted from Magickeith:

I have not tried that. I thought the coil made it "pop" though? I'll give it a whirl this weekend.

If the board activates and the fuse does not blow, you know the coil is the problem.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Ottawa, ON
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 83.00
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts

Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider gdonovan.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/black-hole-pop-bumper-driver-up-in-smoke-?tu=gdonovan and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.