You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

blackhole-(1) (resized).jpg
Screen Shot 2016-10-06 at 1.12.45 AM (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
20160901_080659 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider thedefog.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#5 7 years ago

You could logic probe them and see which gates are stuck. There is even a spare gate on the digit strobe section if it is just one bad one.

#16 7 years ago
Quoted from eabundy:

Replaced both z23 and z22 no change.

How does your clock signal look on pin 9 of z22?

#20 7 years ago
Quoted from eabundy:

I don't have the tools to test that.

You can see if it is moving with just a meter. Set it to DCv and probe that pin on Z22, make sure it isn't stuck high or low. It should look like it is not settling on one voltage.

#24 7 years ago
Quoted from eabundy:

I was wrong I think the clock was pulsing. I was testing the wrong pin before.

Well that at least rules out the incoming clock signal. The only way to really debug this now without shotgunning a lot more stuff further upstream at this point would be with a scope or logic tester to see what the actual data being sent to the strobe decoder and flip-flops it doing. You could try probing it the same way with a meter, but no guarantee you'll see anything because it is moving too quickly. But you really want to eliminate guess work if you can.

Something like this would be cheaper than a scope to rule stuff out. Goes up to 20mhz
https://www.amazon.com/Elenco-Electronics-LP-560-Logic-Probe/dp/B000Z9HAP4/ref=sr_1_2

Since RIOT chips are so difficult to source and pricey, it might not be a bad idea to have another tool available to mitigate growing costs of parts.

I'd also go back to the simpler stuff like the physical wiring & connection to that display. Since the other stuff is working and that is the only remote display (minus the apron), there is a good chance it is something really simple like an internal wire break that you just can't see. Have you messed with continuity testing over the connector cable at all?

#28 7 years ago
Quoted from eabundy:

Will do, I think Marco has the riot chip for 16.00.

If you're gonna shotgun anything next, that is the part to replace.

#30 7 years ago

Hopefully that takes care of this. I'm emotionally invested in this one now, ha! I love vintage computing because you can actually make sense of what is going on in real time.

#36 7 years ago

Time for a logic probe purchase!

1 week later
#43 7 years ago
Quoted from eabundy:

New Ni-Wumpf getting installed either tonight or tomorrow.

Excellent. That'll solve the connector question for sure.

#47 7 years ago
Quoted from eabundy:

So... New CPU board installed, and .. Same problem. You called it defog. Connector issue. I checked every connector last night and found one connector unplugged A10-J10 It's something like a 4 pin IDC connector, I have no idea where that goes or if it's related to that problem. Other than that every connection looks good.

This is one of those situations where I wish I weren't right for your sake. There should be info in the schematics regarding that connector. If I had a copy, I'd look through it for you. That could also just be a service connector. I don't know a ton about Gottlieb stuff admittedly. I got to work on a Black Hole once a few years back for like an hour or so. That is the extent of my experience with it.

#49 7 years ago

And this is why this forum is awesome. That was quick.

#52 7 years ago

You sure you don't have the special version of this game bundy?

blackhole-(1) (resized).jpgblackhole-(1) (resized).jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 83.00
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts

$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider thedefog.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/black-hole-playfield-displays-locked?tu=thedefog and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.