• Latest reply 5 years ago by flip78
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

62344891-FD12-40F5-95CC-49050C742E09 (resized).jpeg
#1 11 years ago

I recently been playing a bunch of Black Hole on IPAD version they released and really enjoy it and now I want to buy an 80's game to go in my collection. I love the lower playfield and was curious which machine you would pick up. Haunted House or Black Hole. They both seem similar with the lower playfield idea. I have never played Haunted House though.

Any input would help!

Thanks!

#2 11 years ago

From a nostalgic stance, I'd want Haunted House. From a game-play stance, I'd want Black Hole....

Both are really fun games to me, however...

#3 11 years ago

Black Hole is a terrific game. Had HH for a while but found it lacking-possibly vastly improved with a Pascal multi ball upgrade, but I suspect still lacking compared to BH. I've also got spirit, again much better than HH but not as fun as BH.

#4 11 years ago

Thanks for the input, I fond a Black Hole in my area for around $1,100. Suppose to be in great condition but haven't seen it yet.

#5 11 years ago

Black hole has my vote.

#6 11 years ago
Quoted from vegemite_nick:

Black Hole is a terrific game. Had HH for a while but found it lacking-possibly vastly improved with a Pascal multi ball upgrade, but I suspect still lacking compared to BH. I've also got spirit, again much better than HH but not as fun as BH.

I would take a Spirit over both. But for his options, I would choose H.H.

#7 11 years ago

I have both, it would be a tough call if I was forced to sell one, but I suspect BH would be the one to go. HH is actually really fun, and has an interesting ruleset once you really get into it, BH is beautiful, but not as intriguing to play IMO.

I'll have to look into this multiball upgrade, that could be a real game changer

#8 11 years ago
Quoted from Schusler:

I would take a Spirit over both. But for his options, I would choose H.H.

I like the look of Spirit as well. Seems llike a tough one to find though.

#9 11 years ago

Black Hole is a better pin IMHO.

#10 11 years ago

I believe Spirit goes for quite a bit more money, but game play is not on par with Black Hole.

#11 11 years ago

Does 1100 seem fair for Black Hole?

#12 11 years ago

depends on condition.. if it's worn i'd say high. rock solid no wear it's low.
also pop bumper boards and ground mods are a hassle that should be taken care of for that price.

#13 11 years ago

eBay avg according to the Boston pinball repair listing is avg $850. I usually subtract 10% from any eBay sale due to eBay overhead.

Then again depends on your neck of the woods, and condition. Might be hard to find one in your neighborhood.

#14 11 years ago

I've got both and never play HH, infact I think the only reason its still here is because I got it so cheap. BH on the other hand I went out and found one for $450 and its a great game, infact its in my top 5 of all time. VERY hard to master. I've got another playfield for it that I had touched up and cleared by Neo years ago and still havn't gotten around to putting it in but someday I hope too. I've thought about selling off the HH for the space but so many people seem to think its the greatest game ever, probably because its so easy and ball times last forever. Plus they think with the three playfields it must be better then BH, but I think true players know the real answer to the question. BH all the way......

BTW: I think $1100 is too much for the game unless your not wanting to do any of the work yourself to one. Otherwise they can still be found for $500 ish.
Just my two cents worth.

John P. Dayhuff
Battle Creek, Mi.
269-979-3836

#15 11 years ago

Black Hole is better than HH.

#16 11 years ago

BH gets my vote, but I too am nostalgic about HH. Own both at some point and decide for yourself.

Brian

#17 11 years ago

BH hole gets my vote because first it has a multiball, and second HH has had some really short ball times every time I've played one. But on the other hand BH is a pain in the butt sometimes because it breaks down so much.

#18 11 years ago

What seems to break down a lot on black hole?

#19 11 years ago

Nothing once the ground mods, pop boards, and VUK transistor upgrades are done. I've got easily 500 games on mine with no problems. HH looks cooler, but BH has Multiball with the possibility to get balls going on 2 levels batted opposite directions. Paid 1k, mostly working but perfect cabinet and A quality playfield.

#20 11 years ago

No one escapes the Black Hole!

#21 11 years ago

"Reentry attempt has failed"... is the most frustrating quote on BH (when losing your ball on the lower PF). May be that's the reason I love that pin. The lower PF is risky...
In terms of game play, BH main PF is wide open, as opposed to HH in which the upper PF occupies too much space.
Both are beauties.
Both are legends.

I did not which virtual version of BH you played, but the one I have on my mac is very wrong... Rules may be accurate, but overall feeling is not even close to the real thing.

#22 11 years ago

Backglass to HH is just beautiful.

#23 11 years ago
Quoted from jlm33:

"Reentry attempt has failed"... is the most frustrating quote on BH (when losing your ball on the lower PF). May be that's the reason I love that pin. The lower PF is risky...
In terms of game play, BH main PF is wide open, as opposed to HH in which the upper PF occupies too much space.
Both are beauties.
Both are legends.
I did not which virtual version of BH you played, but the one I have on my mac is very wrong... Rules may be accurate, but overall feeling is not even close to the real thing.

The one I have you can buy on PS3 or Xbox360 as well. From videos I am checking out the real one seems a lot faster. Is that the big difference from the Emulated one?

#24 11 years ago

i like HH all the way around

#25 11 years ago
Quoted from jeffgoldstein2:

The one I have you can buy on PS3 or Xbox360 as well. From videos I am checking out the real one seems a lot faster. Is that the big difference from the Emulated one?

I'd agree with you there. The emulated is too slow. My BH is very fast with lots of pop action. Pf is cc'd so that might help a little. Love the risk/reward of the lower pf.

Brian

#26 11 years ago
Quoted from jeffgoldstein2:

I recently been playing a bunch of Black Hole on IPAD version they released and really enjoy it and now I want to buy an 80's game to go in my collection. I love the lower playfield and was curious which machine you would pick up. Haunted House or Black Hole. They both seem similar with the lower playfield idea. I have never played Haunted House though.
Any input would help!
Thanks!

If I were you I'd try to play both machine for real before making any hasty decisions. I've played virtual titles only to find that out later that I didn't like the flow of the actual game. As jlm33 nmentioned the actual feel of the game isn't 100% accurate when it's emulated.
I happen to be a fan of both titles so in my opinion you can't go wrong with either title. I know it's been said before but the fact that BH has multiball makes the replay value greater. I have BH in my collection now and hope to find a nice HH to put right next to it!

#27 11 years ago

black hole all the way for game play - looks would be haunted house - game play it's not even close

thanks ed

4 years later
#28 6 years ago

Black hole all the way, just because it's not listed on flea bay or pinside (in order to track value on pinside), doesn't mean black hole isn't seeing greater appreciation in value than haunted house. Black hole is gaining in value every day now; because, it's the better machine. To me, black hole is a players game and haunted house is like vampire, looks cool but plays like crap. Black hole hands down!

#29 6 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

Backglass to HH is just beautiful.

The BH backglass is no slouch either.

#30 6 years ago

Black Hole was one of my first machines, and I still dig it. Ice blue lighting kicks butt in it. Takes time to master, but once you do, easy to kick lesser players ass. Love the dudes voice. So 1980.

#31 6 years ago

BH is better looking and has a better backglass but HH is the better pin, it's a harder pin and the scoring on it is awesome. I'd say spend a lot of time on each. HH has really grown on me lately. Why not have both for the price of a new stern pro?

#32 6 years ago
Quoted from Bud:

BH is better looking and has a better backglass but HH is the better pin, it's a harder pin and the scoring on it is awesome. I'd say spend a lot of time on each. HH has really grown on me lately. Why not have both for the price of a new stern pro?

my opinion is 100% opposite. Haunted House backglass looks cool, but the game kinda plays like garbage. too many pointless flippers, no multiball, no speech, and no risk associated with the lower playfield.

Black Hole is a very underrated player. getting multiball is a big challenge, and the lower playfield represents a compelling risk-reward decision. build up the multipliers, and you can potentially roll the scoreboard over down there. screw up, and it will cost you your ball.

#33 6 years ago

Black Hole for me. More challenging, like the lower pf better. Got a real nice one. Definitely a keeper for me, tough game while fun. Sold my HH. Looks nice next to my Spirit.

#34 6 years ago

Owned both, reluctantly sold both. Can't go wrong either way. BH is better game, but hh is beautiful and sounds great. I miss both tremendously.

#35 6 years ago

Nothing like bumping up a 4 year old post.

Black Hole for the win, but neither is in the OPs history.

#36 6 years ago

4 years later! This is random. It's not even close. Black Hole by a mile!

#38 6 years ago

Love both themes, and generally a fan of both these awesome titles. That said, I opt for Black Hole for the same reasons pezpunk mentioned. The challenge makes BH a winner.

#39 6 years ago

My answer is both... And if can possibly fulfill my conversion project I will join a Krull (in 5 years?) next to them...

#40 6 years ago

Black Hole, no brainer. Love the challenge associated with the lower playfield in this one. It's a tough game, but the again, that's probably why I love it.

#41 6 years ago

Unless you have both then you want the other one, as I have a HH and occasionally crave some BH. Neither is at the top of heap for game play but both are among the best of that era with beautiful artwork and multi levels!

#42 6 years ago

Played both a lot back in the day. Both look impressive and are fun... but once you master the centre "down-to-the- cellar" shot, which you definitely will on a home game, it poses zero challeng as you can't lose the ball from there. The poor operator must have earned practically nothing on the one we played.

#43 6 years ago

Just traded off my haunted house a couple weeks ago, hope I get it back someday

62344891-FD12-40F5-95CC-49050C742E09 (resized).jpeg62344891-FD12-40F5-95CC-49050C742E09 (resized).jpeg

5 months later
#44 6 years ago

I have had all "three" of this group - BH, HH and Spirit.

Still have BH, and a beautifully restored playfield just about ready to go in. Exceptional player for its day, far ahead of most games, super fast when the slings and kickers get going.

HH went to a local, and no regrets - a great looking and sounding pin but average gameplay.

Spirit was sold to a fellow in the US and shipped back few years ago, do not miss it either, aside from the long left shot that I loved, there was little else that impressed me, other than the cool sounds.

1 month later
#45 5 years ago

I have HH and BH US.

Modifications / custom :

On both :

- Converted them in TRUE SYS80A system for 7 digits support. BH is now exactly as 2.5 prototype.

- New effects like tube illumination when ball come from lower playfield to normal playfield. (Green for HH, Blue for BH).

Added voice on HH, and new sound board for better quality (True 2.1 system inside, added mediums and tweeters behind backglass).

Added lane change on BH to get more chance of multiplyu bonus.

And more ....

So no chance to sell them ... Many time to finalize them, and hard to find another.

My prefered ?

HH because of design, but BH is fine also.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Machine - For Sale
Ottawa, ON
3,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Centerport, NY
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

2,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Shakopee, MN
$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Toast-Mach1 Mods Shop

Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/black-hole-or-haunted-house?hl=pinslot and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.