(Topic ID: 128432)

Black Hole just bought won't boot. Close?

By flyarlee

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by blownfuse
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
IMG_0312.JPG
IMG_0311.JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Toyguy.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 8 years ago

Mine does not have original Gottlieb boards in it so I have no experience with those. Three balls in the game is correct. When you turn it on, does it take about 5 seconds before the displays come on? Are any of the playfield lights cycling and is the ball gate on the lower right flipping open and closed? If all that is happening, you're probably in attract mode. If not, you've got something going on preventing that.

The 510 000 on the displays is probably the current high score. Do you see that High Score light cycling on the backglass as the displays show that value?

One thing you will need to do ASAP is get that battery off the CPU board. Also check that area for any signs of corrosion. Ground mods will be helpful.

One thing that might prevent a game from starting is if the game does not see all 3 balls. You might check the switches associated with the outhole and trough to make sure they look good. You also want to check all the tilt switches and assemblies.

You should be able to get manuals from Pinball Resource if you don't have them.

#7 8 years ago

OK, so with the 5 second delay before the displays come on it would sound like the MPU is booting to me. The other stuff suggests a bad driver board or something associated with it. On mine, once it's in attract mode, that gate should swing back and forth constantly. I think the culprit being the driver board is supported by the fact that the machine speaks at times, which to me suggests the MPU thinks it's in attract mode but nothing else is being driven. I'd check the connectors to the driver board, voltage at the driver board etc. with a close eye on that area around the old battery.

Is the ground strap from the cabinet hooked to the head? The ground mods may also now be a good thing to do.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Machine - For Sale
Ottawa, ON
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Toyguy.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/black-hole-just-bought-wont-boot-close?tu=Toyguy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.