(Topic ID: 128432)

Black Hole just bought won't boot. Close?

By flyarlee

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by blownfuse
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image.jpg
IMG_0312.JPG
IMG_0311.JPG

#1 4 years ago

Hey all I just picked up a black hole which I've been wanting for quite a while. It looks pretty clean I really want to get her working. (I don't see a reset board and I don't see a ground mod. (check pictures)

-When I turn it on the lights swirl the robot talks every once in a while (dare to the enter the black hole etc.) the displays light up. and thats about it.
-The displays shows 000 000 then switch to 510 000. (check picture) -Is this an EPROM error code?
- I can add credits but start won't work
- I added 3 balls I don't know if this is correct.
-When I add credits all displays go black except left top and it displays 0.
-In my trying to test I press the credit button lots and then sometimes the game will cycle all solenoids but I don't know how to put in test mode or reset the system.
I removed all connectors except for the bottom connector on the power supply board and tested all the test points and power showed spot on (10% over per pinwiki).
-I re-seated all the edge connectors twice
-All fuses were good (both blocks of them and the main power supply fuse too)

-Any help is appreciated!

FLYUSMC

IMG_0311.JPG
IMG_0312.JPG

#2 4 years ago

Mine does not have original Gottlieb boards in it so I have no experience with those. Three balls in the game is correct. When you turn it on, does it take about 5 seconds before the displays come on? Are any of the playfield lights cycling and is the ball gate on the lower right flipping open and closed? If all that is happening, you're probably in attract mode. If not, you've got something going on preventing that.

The 510 000 on the displays is probably the current high score. Do you see that High Score light cycling on the backglass as the displays show that value?

One thing you will need to do ASAP is get that battery off the CPU board. Also check that area for any signs of corrosion. Ground mods will be helpful.

One thing that might prevent a game from starting is if the game does not see all 3 balls. You might check the switches associated with the outhole and trough to make sure they look good. You also want to check all the tilt switches and assemblies.

You should be able to get manuals from Pinball Resource if you don't have them.

#3 4 years ago

Sounds like it started a game, but did not kick out a ball in the shooter lane. Check that coil for broken wires or burned coil windings. I can't remember if that coil has a transistor mounted under the P/F, if it does it maybe bad.

#4 4 years ago

Thanks guys..I don't think its in a game..when I add credit pressing the start does nothing, flippers don't work/bumpers etc. When I power on it takes ~5 seconds for the display to show. No gates flip back and forth and playfield lights stay on.

#5 4 years ago

Another thing to be aware of is the connectors on sys80 boards are problematic. I repinned every single connector in my Haunted House and it was the best thing I did.

Nice find. Looks pretty clean.

#7 4 years ago

OK, so with the 5 second delay before the displays come on it would sound like the MPU is booting to me. The other stuff suggests a bad driver board or something associated with it. On mine, once it's in attract mode, that gate should swing back and forth constantly. I think the culprit being the driver board is supported by the fact that the machine speaks at times, which to me suggests the MPU thinks it's in attract mode but nothing else is being driven. I'd check the connectors to the driver board, voltage at the driver board etc. with a close eye on that area around the old battery.

Is the ground strap from the cabinet hooked to the head? The ground mods may also now be a good thing to do.

#8 4 years ago

Thanks guys for the advice/links. I will focus around the driver board now. It is cleaning up well btw. Of course loud spinner motor so I disconnected that.

image.jpg
#9 4 years ago

Radium...I'm getting dead links to http://www.rogtronics.net/files/datasheets/gottliebrepair/ says the site is gone when I click on the links..perhaps I'm missing something.

#10 4 years ago

That's because those guides have been hunted down where ever they are stored and removed. No matter, you don't need them, it sounds like your game is booting to attract mode which is great, less to figure out now. I'm thinking you still have a switch matrix issue of some kind, the game should be able to tell you what's wrong with it from there. With the balls removed and all drop targets set to standing positions, what numbers do you see in the credit window when you go into the audits and put it in switch test 18?

Steve
System 80, not just a job, it's an adventure

Quoted from flyarlee:

Radium...I'm getting dead links to http://www.rogtronics.net/files/datasheets/gottliebrepair/ says the site is gone when I click on the links..perhaps I'm missing something.

#11 4 years ago

Hey, Woot woot! Cleaned mpu to driver board connectors and working 100% yay! Thanks! Video soon!

#12 4 years ago

Well now the game does not recognize the ball needing to be kicked up from the lower playfield. That should be easier for me

#13 4 years ago

Crap, I was going to have you check the switch connections at the CPU board next. The problem was going to show itself eventually to someone. I don't like peeing on anyone's cornflakes but .... one thing to keep in mind, if it's a connector issue related to A1J4, it will probably come back unless corrected. Re-tinning of the pads and new crimps usually solve/correct the problem for a very long time in home use, they get old and lose their grip on the board. Sometimes they can transfer alkaline to a clean board. Here's the big problem, nobody has those bifurcated crimp contacts for sale anymore.

Steve
System 80, not just a job, it's an adventure

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 14.99
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
St Joseph, MI
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
€ 8.40
$ 1,099.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Gulf Coast Pinball, LLC
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 999.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
$ 18.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 234.99
$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Nitro Pinball Shop
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 159.99

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside