(Topic ID: 307317)

New to SS. 25v one side of BH kicker solenoid, 11v at other?

By 4Max

2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by 4Max
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

thumbnail_IMG_0351 (resized).jpg
thumbnail_IMG_0350 (resized).jpg

#1 2 years ago

Hi folks.

Usually an EM guy, I could do with some help with this SS I have acquired. Worried I am using EM tricks for an SS

The problem is well documented - Black Hole kicker solenoid on lower playfield. It was missing, I suspected it stuck on for previous owner and he removed it.

To test, I used my light bulbs tester (2 x 12v bulbs in series) connected to the kicker wires, and sure enough, at power on, the bulbs were "super" bright.

From other Pinsiders I read I had to test the Q5 under playfield transistor and the Q15 on driver board.

The Q5 indeed had failed, so I replaced it with a MJ2955 (it had a 2n3791, like the one to the right).

thumbnail_IMG_0351 (resized).jpgthumbnail_IMG_0351 (resized).jpg

Both now test ok (DMM in diode mode, red lead on Collector/casing, black on E reads .59, on B reads .49, on both). Also I removed and checked all fuses as ok.

(I'm thinking that right hand side transistor should also have its own 4.7K pull-up resistor, plus maybe replace the tranny anyway with a new 2955?)

When I powered on, my test bulbs still stayed on, but much dimmer. I removed bulb tester and checked voltage (machine in attract mode) and the 24v lug (orange, yellow) does indeed read 25v, but the other lug (red, green) reads 11v ?

So, on to the Q15, but it Q15 tests ok. In fact the board is quite recent (2014), as are all the boards, so I'm thinking its fine. Everything else seems to power up ok.

thumbnail_IMG_0350 (resized).jpgthumbnail_IMG_0350 (resized).jpg

Lots of pretty leds, not sure if they help?

Also, when I run test 16 (lamp driver test), the bulb tester connected to the kicker wires does indeed go super bright, then back to dim - each time it tests.

My first question is - can I use the bulb tester - or does that cause its own issues...should I just wire in a new coil & diode?

Should I just replace the other older transistor on the right to be sure, and add a pull-up resistor?

(Once we fix this then on to the Wireform Ball Gate solenoid (upper playfield - lets ball into play) is also permanently energized).

Thanks, in advance!

#2 2 years ago

Not sure if it applies with a Swemmer repro board, but in my black hole with a Ni-Wumpf, I had endless problems with the kicker until I replaced both the under playfield transistor and the one on the board at the same time. Usually I'd play the game, and then one would die. I'd replace it, but then soon one would die again. Others tested 'good' but I think the other dying must have been stressing them out or something.

Not sure how to read the leds on the board...

#3 2 years ago

Thanks Zacaj.

I have now replaced all the old under playfield transistors with MJ2955's and added pull-up resistors to all.

Still getting a low voltage to the kicker, and I think also to the upper playfield Ball Gate (as it works, but stays locked in after first use until i gently pull it out).

Also, there is no power to the lower playfield kicker when I remove the (A3J3) connector from the driver board.

I am assuming (!) this behavior could be caused by faulty transistors on the driver board - so I have ordered a bunch of MJE800s as that's what is used on the Swemmer board. Will await their arrival.

1 week later
#4 2 years ago

I replaced Q15, no change, so I replaced the corresponding LED next to it on the Swemmer driver board, and kicker now fixed! How annoying the (additional to original design) LEDs can cause the issue.

Thinking this would be the reason for my other issue, I then replaced the transistor (Q16) and corresponding LED for the ball release to shooter lane solenoid, but still that gets a low voltage that keeps it locked on after it fires - will start a new thread for that.

#5 2 years ago

Can you post a section of the schematic that you showed me earlier, with source and load for the swemmer board?

#6 2 years ago

Hi @pinballdaveh, I started a new thread with the schematics, etc here:

pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/any-ideas-why-my-solenoid-is-constantly-getting-a-low-voltage#post-6715949

thanks!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
3,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Salinas, CA
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 83.00
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts
Electronics
Machine - For Sale
Bellefonte, PA
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball
Other
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
Flipper parts
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/black-hole-help-for-an-em-guy-kicker-coil- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.