Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Toyguy
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

Although it isn't all working quite yet, mainly the lower right pop bumper needs fixing, I haven't been able to resist playing it more than I am fixing it

I have noticed one issue I'd love some advice on. I have some ideas but I'd love some feedback too.

When playing, a fast moving ball into the 2 lower center flippers is, more often than not, climbing the flippers and either banging off the glass quite hard, or in some cases actually jumping the flipper and/or ball guides into the drain. This only happens on really fast movers. Average speed balls are fine. Of course, with BH a lot of the balls are fast movers!

I casually checked the window when I was waxing and cleaning and it seemed to be sitting pretty well flush but I haven't measured the 1/64" the manual calls for. I also got to wondering if it was just that the flippers are too low, though they clear the playfield quite well.

Anyone else have this problem and solve it?

Thanks!
Dave

#2 9 years ago

Black Hole typically has a lot of "smack the glass" when the ball is travelling fast and hits the flippers hard. It's part of the game.

But - check the rubber rings on the flippers. Gottlieb flippers need the narrow rubbers to fit inside the groove on the flipper bat, and if you put regular ones on there (which happens quite a bit) it can cause ball jumps and other such nonsense as they don't seat evenly over the groove. If the narrow bands are in there, be sure they're properly seated.

#3 9 years ago

That's my favorite part of any game. Tap that glass!!!

#4 9 years ago

Me too, but this is a LOT more than a tap. It's quite frightening and then the ball just hopping right over the flipper into the drain lane is a bit unfair to the player on an already difficult game.

I have all new rubber coming from PBR so we'll see if that makes a difference. I have noticed in looking at a bunch of online photos that the machines all seem to have standard red rubber on the flippers. The factory flyer shows them that way. Mine has some sort of funky blue rubber. It looks nice, but maybe that's my problem right there.

Thanks for the tips!

#5 9 years ago

yeah i had to look too i was going to suggest but just could not remember if my bats have thinner rubbers nor grooves, they do. i have had it happen but very very rarely.

#6 9 years ago

Yeah, it seems to be happening most on the lowest right flipper. The left lower will do it now and then, and I can live with that, but this other one is almost unusable.

On an unrelated note, when you lock a ball in the upper playfield capture hole, does it tend to sit high, and can you easily knock it loose if you send another one up there? It almost seems to me that it is sitting too high but other than that it scores and ejects when it should at the loss of a ball.

#7 9 years ago

No issue with knocking ball out of upper left capture ever. Sound like who ever you got the machine from maybe did not put things back correctly or maybe screws came loose or needs a cleaning. Maybe there is a piece of foreign material lying in there. Yeah if you can not a ball out easy there is something wrong.

#8 9 years ago

When I look at the upper left captive hole, there is a nylon plate under the playfield cutout. It has a slot in the center where the kickout arm protrudes and then 2 nylon ridges that stick up on either side of the slot. When the ball gets in the hole, it is sitting on these 2 nylon ridges. I'm beginning to wonder if the nylon plate isn't upside down.

#9 9 years ago

i get a lot of glass action also, but im not to concerned about it.

#10 9 years ago

i don't like to see to much of it as air balls are what break plastics. wrong size flipper rubbers, window adjusted properly, maybe extra pad behind the yellow targets and you should have very few air balls.

#11 9 years ago

I was looking at the air ball problem today, having the day off for Veteran's Day

The lower edge of the window was sitting too low, in fact a rare slow moving ball actually got stuck at the edge and wouldn't fall to the flipper. So I went and got started taking the window off. Of course, one of the previous owners had cross-threaded one of the hex head screws so as I went to remove it, it stripped the T-Nut. I'll have to figure out what to do about that now - I guess I could just put a nut on it from the bottom as a temporary fix. I went out and got some thin foam weatherstripping until I can get the proper foam washers. I'll put that in a bit later as I'm spending some time cleaning down there - it was a mess.

#12 9 years ago

Happy to report the air ball problem has been fixed. Raising the lower edge of the window until it sat just a whisker higher than the playfield, as detailed in the manual, resolved the issue. I guess what might have been happening was the ball was getting slightly airborne hopping the ledge, just enough to then hop the flipper. I had to replace the stripped T-Nut with a 6-32 so that's a bother as I'll need to keep track of one screw separately but it worked well enough. I used some rubber washers in the absence of foam, so I will revisit this once I get those parts in. I'll probably get a new window too, as they're cheap enough.

Glad to have that one done - she's much more playable now.

#13 9 years ago

Glad to see you're making progress with it and playing it...

She needed to be in a home where she would get the proper love!

#14 9 years ago

Hey Greg - yeah, it's doing well. Had a bunch of guys from work yesterday for our usual "Pinball Wednesday" lunch and they got suitably introduced, and humiliated

I really only have 3 issues left to resolve - the one rollover lamp on the upper right is out and it's not the bulb. The lower left pop has a broken coil with the lugs snapped off. Lastly, the upper captive hole lets the ball go if another ball goes up and hits it. Other than that, working nicely and, as desired, a real challenge!

The playfield cleaned up nicely, upper and lower. I'm replacing the spinning disc motor with a different one that can be powered directly off the original connections, rather than being patched back to the little display driver board. I may eventually go for a set of Swemmer boards - the Ni-Wumpf is nice, but I'm not sure I like the idea that it's really running an emulation. I'd rather run the real Gottlieb EPROMS. That's a long-term minor thing though.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Machine - For Sale
Bellefonte, PA
$ 83.00
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts
Electronics
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball
Other
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
3,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Salinas, CA
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
Flipper parts
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/black-hole-flying-pinballs and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.