(Topic ID: 297418)

Black Hole F4 fuse blowing and does not boot

By PantherCityPins

2 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 2 years ago

I hooked up and powered on my Black Hole restoration for the first time today. The game was not working when I got it, prior owner said it would go into attract mode but would not start a game. I did not verify that before I took it apart (rookie mistake I know). It has a Rottendog 80 MPU and a replacement power supply board as well.

When I powered it on for the first time I got a knock from the coils (which I understand is normal) but also a flash from all the GI (which I don’t think is normal). The MPU appeared to be booting up and I got zeros on the displays. After a few seconds the displays would flash 700,000 then back to zero. It did not go into attract mode. MPU had 5 volt LED lit solid and the reset LED was flashing when I glanced at it.

I turned it off because I thought (maybe just anxiety) that I smelled a burning smell. I did not see any evidence of damage to the boards and did not hear any coils drop out when I turned it off.

F4 fuse blew on the first power up, I replaced it with a new fuse and it blew again on power up (this time the coils pulsed but no GI flash). With F4 fuse holder empty Gi lights up fine, rottendog MPU has reset LED solidly lit, 5V LED 1 is lit, displays show zeroes and then show 700,000 every 5 seconds. Game will not go into self test mode. I don’t think it’s in attract mode but I’ve never seen attract mode in this game, I don’t see insert lights flashing around the playfield though.

Ok, so from what I’ve read the 38 volt rectifier might be bad, I could have a locked on coil (although I didn’t see one locked up and I didn’t hear a coil drop out when I powered down) or I could have a short at a solenoid. I checked all my solenoids visually and I didn’t see an obvious wiring issue.

Questions:

How do I go about testing the 38 volt rectifier?

Is it possible I fried the MPU? That initial GI flash has me a little concerned. Not sure why it’s not going into test mode at all?

Thanks in advance.

#2 2 years ago

Update: I found a video on testing bridge rectifiers and pulled the 38 volt one out of the machine. From what i can tell it’s testing ok, I get between 480-600 testing both positive and negative terminals to each AC.

#3 2 years ago

A little more info. I reinstalled the rectifier since it tested ok and unplugged all the pop driver boards. Now F4 does not blow and I get the re-entry lane cycling but no insert lights for attract mode and still does not enter test mode.

So, it seems one or more of my pop boards is bad, I can plug them in one at a time to see which one. I do have a new one that I bought as a spare just in case.

I’m still not sure why it’s not booting into attract mode though?

#4 2 years ago

Ok, if the displays are cycling 000000 to 700000, then the MPU is booting. That is normal behavior as it displays the last score, and the default high score. The lamps in system 80 games are not matrixed. They are all powered off +6v dc power that goes through the tilt relay. I’d check to see if you are getting 6v at the light, and if not check the contacts on the tilt relay.

#5 2 years ago

I will check relays tomorrow.

I went ahead and replaced all the fuses with new ones of the correct type just in case. I did find several that were the wrong amperage.

I also went through and plugged back in the pop driver boards one by one. No change in behavior, I got to the last board and decided to replace it with my spare because the fuse was definitely blowing with all the pop boards plugged in before.

I’m also not getting the solenoid pulse when I turn the machine on but it does go into attract mode. Not sure what’s up with that.

Thanks for the help, I’ll post more info as I work through the issues.

#6 2 years ago

Likely your failure to boot problem is the kill switch on the coin door. Make sure it is closed. The behavior your describing sounds like the switch is open.

#7 2 years ago

I did check that switch and it is closed. I have also cleaned the contacts there. I will double check it.

#8 2 years ago

Cleaned the tilt and reset relays today, no change in the behavior. One interesting thing, the controlled lamps will light correctly in attract mode with the F4 fuse out but if you put the F4 fuse in you don’t get the controlled lamps anymore. The F4 fuse is not blown, I checked with a multimeter.

I do not get a solenoid pulse when I turn on the machine. Are you still supposed to get one with the Rottendog board?

#9 2 years ago
Quoted from PantherCityPins:

Cleaned the tilt and reset relays today, no change in the behavior. One interesting thing, the controlled lamps will light correctly in attract mode with the F4 fuse out but if you put the F4 fuse in you don’t get the controlled lamps anymore. The F4 fuse is not blown, I checked with a multimeter.I do not get a solenoid pulse when I turn on the machine. Are you still supposed to get one with the Rottendog board?

When you put F4 in, is the Tilt relay locking on? That relay would kill all the feature lamps (except Game Over on the backglass). But it would also kill all the pf GI so don't know if that is happening with yours too.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/black-hole-f4-fuse-blowing-and-does-not-boot and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.