5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 4 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by robm
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider robm.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

Hi All,

Just picked up a Black Hole - it was 90% working, a couple of switches needed adjusting and some mechanical coil issues sorted. Played a few games last night and it was all good. This morning on Christmas Day, thought we would have a few games with the kids and it would occasionally spit out 2 balls - this normally occurred on ball 3, but sometimes ball 2, never ball 1.

But then it seems to throw the game into a spin - if you were on a single player game and it spat out 2 balls, it would add a 2nd and sometimes 3rd player, (these displays were previously unlit when i started the 1 player game) - and i also noticed that when the game eventually finished, it seemed stuck in a bonus countdown/countup sequence - what i mean by that, is that even if you didn't get the ball in the lower playfield, and the end of the game of the last player, it would display a score on the lower playfield score and make the countdown sound - but it would never stop - the lower playfield display appearred to very quickly change from (for example) 8700 to 8800 back to 8700 - so there was just a flicker on the 100's digit - almost like it was building up and counting down at the same time, but stuck between 8700 and 8800.

So i wondered if it was a trough switch issue, pulled the apron off and observed things, but couldn't replicate the problem - balls appear to shoot cleanly up and out of the trough and the holding pin seems to work well. So put the apron back on.

Just played a 3 player game now, and on ball 3, same issue - spat 2 balls out, added a 4th player and wouldn't complete the bonus countdown (even though player 4 (who didn't exist) never got it down the lower playfield. Power cycled the machine, then played 5 single player games and it didn't occur again.

Any idea where to look - no idea as ive not worked on System 80 games before (quite comfortable with Classic Bally and Sterns and WPC machines though), whether its wiring, board or switch issue?

#3 5 years ago
Quoted from RWH:

Power off and remove and reconnect all of your connectors, power on and after it boots go to your diagnostics and see if all switches are open etc. and then try a game again.

Yep, tried that - also nudged the machine around a bit during switch test (after reseating connectors) and couldn't get anything to activate that way.

#4 5 years ago

Issue resolved. I finally got it to occur when i had the apron removed. What was happening, is the ball would shoot up from the outhole, and the switch past the one way gate was adjust a tad too high, and was pushing the occasional ball back and it was balanced under the one way gate - so the machine couldn't work out what was going on as neither of the outhole or trough switches were activated (at least in my mind thats how it is?) - adjusted the trough switch so it didn't stick up so much, and have had 20 games since with no issue.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 83.00
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts

$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider robm.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/black-hole-ejecting-multiple-balls-occasionally?tu=robm and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.