PXL_20240103_220434164.jpg
IMG_5107 (resized).jpeg
PXL_20231029_054015295 (resized).jpg
PXL_20231029_053936841 (resized).jpg
PXL_20231029_053945558 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

6 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1614 How to light up the tube Posted by Mudflaps (5 years ago)

Post #1618 Example photo for a lit tube Posted by Mudflaps (5 years ago)

Post #1628 Example photo for a lit tube Posted by gweempose (5 years ago)

Post #3035 Example for using Ice blue LEDs Posted by Crimcyan (10 months ago)

Post #3157 Adding a potentiometer to the aux lamp driver board for chase lights Posted by Redfive05 (7 months ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider topkat.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1554 5 years ago

does this sling give any points. Mine kicks but doesn’t give me nada?

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#1556 5 years ago

Thanks for checking. Was surprised that something you hit gives a goose egg. But more glad nothin needs fixing

#1558 5 years ago

What do you think of leds in the infinity lights ( the ones around the edge). I was told it makes a bad reflection on playfield?

#1560 5 years ago

Does it give you any issues with the reflection off glass? Are they frosted ?
Thanks

1 year later
#1894 4 years ago

Has anyone else had trouble replacing the window? The repro I got isn’t close to fitting. Spent hour plus sanding
Didn’t expect it to be such a headache

#1896 4 years ago
Quoted from radial_head:

From what I've heard this is a pretty common problem. HEP posted about it when he did a shopout of a Black Hole. It's said that the windows are correct, but the play fields aren't. People say that the factory dremmeled hole varied greatly, but I have no expertise one way or another.

Thanks you. I will look for that thread
I lined the two on each other and they definitely are different. Not a ton but it enough that it’s a headache.

#1898 4 years ago

I spent hours sanding. Finally got it in.
Bummer when I saw I had scratched it some. But still way clearer than the one I had before.
Thanks for responses..
F55BDA71-B982-4640-B242-8301CF26C804 (resized).jpegF55BDA71-B982-4640-B242-8301CF26C804 (resized).jpeg

3 weeks later
#1911 4 years ago

While shopping my bh I carelessly sparked the left transformer. Of course everything went dead.
I took out the line fuse and display fuse.
I get all laMps now, sound but no power to any solenoid. Could that have caused a board problem by doing that as well?

#1914 4 years ago
Quoted from tonytenace1974:

Anyone have the problem where when playing on the lower field, when the ball passes through the flippers it just sits there. Game is hungup. Is there a fuse for that one solenoid before the kick up solenoid?

Not sure if it but there is this

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
2 months later
#1938 3 years ago

The upper most right flipper has connections to some type of transistor.
Does the power go through that component? That is the only flipper (or mech) that doesn’t work. I rebuilt them all, but missed something on that one
Thanks

#1941 3 years ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

The jumper is to supply the ground to the transistor and that is it.

I checked I have voltage to the lugs
If that transistor is bad , would the flipper be dead?

#1944 3 years ago

Thanks for the responses
It is just the upper right flipper. The lower and all others work.( all worked prior to rebuild too)
The upper moves freely and does not stay up when held and the button pressed

It seems that either the coil is bad, diode bad, no continuity eos, Incorrect wiring on lugs.

1 week later
#1945 3 years ago

Flipper issue solved. It was the eos switch..

I had rebuilt all the pops, and now 2 of them the rod stops half up after it pops. If another coil fires the vibration causes it to go back up. I turned off the power when it happened as well and it doesn’t make a difference so guessing it’s not an electrical issue.
Could it be when I put the coil and plunger back together the angle it sits in the mech isn’t right and that’s causing resistance.

1 week later
#1950 3 years ago
Quoted from frenchmarky:

Are you sure they aren't getting stuck basically all the way down and it may only appear they are partially down? If it's the former, I had the problem of them getting stuck down from residual magnetism and fixed it with several layers of adhesive copper foil stuck onto the coil stops where the plungers hit but people have used other things glued to the stop like a non-magnetic washer or slug, or you can buy new pop bumper frames.r I supposed drill out the old stops and put new ones that are for pop bumper applications and that bolt on but not sure that would guarantee a fix since the whole frame can have residual magnetism.

You are correct. My thinking that it was Partially stuck was bc I mentally pictured the ring being lower at full activation. It must be a magnetic issue because I switched out a new plunger and it fixed one.
Thanks.

1 week later
#1960 3 years ago

Anyone have advice for adjusting a pop spoon that has one dead spot. I replaced the spoon/switch, moved it back and forth under the skirt, bent the leafs, and I still have one spot that wont activate consistently. When I watch the the spoon and move the skirt by hand, every direction but one causes the leafs to make good contact.
Do you ever want to bend the spoon itself?

1 week later
#1962 3 years ago

I get the same issue with the old switch as the new. Must have spent 4 hours tweaking it. It looks to be in the center of the spoon, but when I move the skirt I can see it easily
Activates in most directions, but there are a few degrees where it barley moves the spoon. The gap is so minimal, if I reduce it further it will go off on vibrations.
I even tried a new skirt...

1 month later
#1975 3 years ago

So the upper pf ball lock will sometimes lock the ball out when not supposed to
It seems like it’s a vibration vs a specific other switch being active. Is that just not enough contact on that leaf switch. If the contacts sep with a ball locked it will eject I tvink ?

1 month later
#1989 3 years ago

Anyone have ideas on this. My middle top pop has a dead area when the ball comes from the lanes. I’ve put all new parts in, adjusted the new spoon switch countless times. The gap is so close that it will go off at times from the top right bumper, but I can’t get that say 45 degrees from the top to activate in game. It almosrbseems like skirt should be higher off the plAyfield ( looks fine) to allow more movement of the spoon tip. ?It just doesn’t seem to move the spoon much from that direction.
Thanks

#1991 3 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

Would a pointed Skirt help?

I dont know, maybe? it so strange when I watch the skirt, as i activate it on the pf, even with no spoon there it has allot of movement in 270 degrees of activating, but the upper side facing the lanes when I push on it the tip doesnt move as much at all .

#1994 3 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Is the actuator centered on the spoon?

yes..I have had it in the center, then I even tried other positions to increase the movement. Its almost like it needs to be further from the playfield in the one area to allow more of a pivot..

3 months later
#2104 3 years ago

Can someone point where to look. Everything had been working 100%. Started a game and it made start noise twice. I assumed I hit two credits but I hadn’t. There was no longer any background sound and most of of switches are now playing the wrong sounds. For example the spinner says fail fail, but it score correctly. I have a niwumpf mpu.. strange out of the blue..or black I guess

#2106 3 years ago
Quoted from Mad_Dog_Coin_Op:

Mostly likely the pins are shot on the wire harness that connects to the bottom of the MPU board. I would start there.[quoted image]

Thanks I will check..The last owner had repinned all the connectors ( 2.5 years ago) but I will look carefully at them

1 week later
#2143 3 years ago

Can one remove the pins on the single edge connectors? They look like they are idc and built into the connectors..thought there was a way to reuse the edge connector

#2146 3 years ago

Once you detach the wire are you pushing it out the wire side end? Sorry they just look like they don’t come out easy either way. But I have only looked, not attempted

Thanks

#2158 3 years ago

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0ipEwBSs9zi9EFgp1mH5dYPiA#Los_Altos
I am trying to figure if these are still the wrong sounds. It seems there is one sound it plays often and I don’t remember it being there.

1 year later
#2467 2 years ago

Every so often when the ball drops one of the black or hole drops, the game thinks the ball is in the lower pf. I’ve tried knocking the drops down repeatedly with my finger and it doesn’t happen. Seems only during game. Could it be the switch for the lower pf being activated by vibration.

#2469 2 years ago
Quoted from frenchmarky:

Yes check the gap on the switch, under the upper playfield right before it drops down the hole. So it is doing it only by dropping targets, not by the targets resetting? Try banging on the playfield near there with your fist and see if you can get it to do it.
But if it is only vibration from targets dropping I'd think you'd have the same problems from the pop bumpers firing up there.

I tried banging and nothing. It’s odd bc it will go games and be fine. You are right I don’t think it’s the switch. The boards have been serviced ,would a failing game rom possibly cause that?

2 weeks later
#2473 1 year ago
Quoted from frenchmarky:

Yes check the gap on the switch, under the upper playfield right before it drops down the hole. So it is doing it only by dropping targets, not by the targets resetting? Try banging on the playfield near there with your fist and see if you can get it to do it.
But if it is only vibration from targets dropping I'd think you'd have the same problems from the pop bumpers firing up there.

Had a chance to investigate more, I can get it to switch to the lower pf by one of the pops firing as well.
Not sure if its the switch where it drops down, bc it doesnt make any sound effects it just cuts power from the upper and starts the lower.
Is there a relay that controls that? Was thinking if there is, that the relay might be effected by the vibration?

#2476 1 year ago
Quoted from frenchmarky:

Also is it only missing the voice effect when it's falsely triggered? Or it's *always* missing?
That rollover switch is on the same column or row as some of the drop targets, might want to check switch diodes. But it's not on any of the rows/columns for the upper pop bumpers, sw 06, so uhhh I dunno.

So when the ball goes down the spiral drop, the voice is there and everything is normal

When there is an issue with something else triggering, it just suddenly cuts power to top and goes to the lower. No sound effects prior

#2478 1 year ago
Quoted from frenchmarky:

When whatever "it" is is falsely triggered, do the lower pf lights come on and the lower flippers become active, like they normally would when the ball goes down there? Or is it only partially doing that stuff or not at all?

Yes, when its triggered the upper flippers go dead and the lower powers up normally..
It acts like the ball has dropped down the spiral, just no sound effect prior, just immediately powers the lower..

1 month later
#2497 1 year ago
Quoted from FLASHBALL:

My current issue with black hole is a tilt being caused by certain coils.
When the coil fires to put a ball into the shooter lane, it causes the tilt sound.
Game continues to play properly.
Also, when I hit the top pop bumper on the lower playfield it causes the game to make the tilt sound.
My sleuthing so far has not returned many clues.
Thoughts?

Did you do the sound board test? where you check each wire and it has a certain response?

9 months later
#2930 1 year ago

I noticed that sometimes the lower playfield orbit that awards an additional multiplier will give one x more and sometimes it gives two. My thinking Is the gap in the gate switch needs adjusting.
I just want to be sure there is not a time the game is supposed to award 2 extra multipliers for one orbit?
Thanks

11 months later
#3279 29 days ago

Curious what a good or avg spinner rip is for people?
I get 10-15.
It seems
Like the the mounting bracket for the spinner on the of can be turned some as well to change the angle

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Ottawa, ON
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 83.00
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts

$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider topkat.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/black-hole-club-members-only?tu=topkat and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.