PXL_20240103_220434164.jpg
IMG_5107 (resized).jpeg
PXL_20231029_054015295 (resized).jpg
PXL_20231029_053936841 (resized).jpg
PXL_20231029_053945558 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

6 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1614 How to light up the tube Posted by Mudflaps (5 years ago)

Post #1618 Example photo for a lit tube Posted by Mudflaps (5 years ago)

Post #1628 Example photo for a lit tube Posted by gweempose (5 years ago)

Post #3035 Example for using Ice blue LEDs Posted by Crimcyan (10 months ago)

Post #3157 Adding a potentiometer to the aux lamp driver board for chase lights Posted by Redfive05 (7 months ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sparky672.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2628 1 year ago
Quoted from gigasturtz:

Got a Black Hole last week!

Congratulations on your new machine. I am presently looking for a project Black Hole myself.

Quoted from gigasturtz:

.... Big thing I’ll need help with now is what seems to be an all too common problem with this era: sound problems. It was acting as I’d expect for the first few days I had it but recently the sound board flakes out after the game is turned on for a bit. It’ll be fine for a while then it’ll get frozen on a single tone until I turn it off. Any ideas?

Do you have to turn it off? Have you tried starting a new game or hitting the slam switch?

I had a random tone get stuck on power up and power down on my Gottlieb Volcano, which has same sound & speech board as yours. I finally tracked it down and fixed it. Follow the saga here:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-80-sometimes-a-random-continuous-sound-on-boot

Quoted from gigasturtz:

Also one of the headers for the score display is a little flakey (flakey seems like the keyword for this post heh): sometimes it’ll show garbage when I turn it on and is fixed if I poke the wires on the header. Can you replace these old style headers with modern headers that secure the connection better?

You do not have to replace these headers, nor do you have to use the punch-down style connections. All of the single-sided KK-0.156 Molex headers in a Gottlieb System 80 can be re-pinned with crimp-on pins pushed into the original header body.

The Molex pins are part number 08-52-0072 (18-24 AWG) and are readily available at most places including Amazon. Just have to borrow, buy, or make a pin release tool. Also get a good crimper tool that will make the proper double-crimp.

#2633 1 year ago
Quoted from Matthew2015:

i found a fuse cover and a new fuse holder but i don't think the old fuse is wired correctly.
i would assume that the two yellow/purple wires go on one end and the purple/blue wire goes on the other end .
not wired together with a different colored wire on the same side . is this the way to do it.?

The way to do it is how the schematic shows. What is this fuse wired into? Why do you say you don't think it was wired correctly?

There was an old Gottlieb service bulletin that talked about adding fuses to slingshot circuits; is this for that?

#2635 1 year ago
Quoted from Matthew2015:

its the primary fuse , where the power goes though after the filter capacitor. the schematics show one wire on each side of a different color.
there's a wire going from the fuse to the service outlet but no color code for that one.

The schematic shows one wire with color 766 on one side and TWO wires on the other: color 744 and the one going to the service outlet hot side.

If you have two wires on each side, then you'll have to physically trace the extra one.

#2637 1 year ago
Quoted from Matthew2015:

... so it seems it would be best to wire both wires of the same color on the same side.

Yes, otherwise, the fuse would be bypassed. After complete, I would pull the fuse out to verify that it kills power to the machine as intended.

#2643 1 year ago
Quoted from FLASHBALL:

Here's a video of it in action.

Those are controlled by solenoids 1 and 2, if I am reading the manual correctly. They both fire together but not independently, if I understand your description correctly.

I would conclude:

• the Driver board is working since the two solenoids fire at all
• the inputs and matrix are working since each target is scoring properly

We can pretty much rule out the game logic, right? What are the chances the PROM is corrupted but the game still plays?

So I'm thinking it's something screwy in the logic of the Z28 decoder (74LS139).

It's a guess, but it's a cheap guess. If you don't want to randomly swap chips, use your logic probe to examine the inputs and outputs of Z28 when the solenoid is supposed to fire.

Screen Shot 2022-09-01 at 10.05.45 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2022-09-01 at 10.05.45 PM (resized).png

https://www.futurlec.com/74LS/74LS139.shtml

#2647 1 year ago
Quoted from MtnFrost:

is there anything like a separate fuse or anything? I've got the schematics here, but I'm not seeing anything.

I'd power it down and unplug it the connector.

Check for continuity of the ground pin back to ground buss.

Then power up the machine and measure voltages at the connector.

Pin 19 - Ground
Pin 18 - +5 VDC
Pin 17 - +42 VDC
Pin 16 - 3 VAC
Pin 15 - 3 VAC

Screen Shot 2022-09-02 at 8.44.20 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2022-09-02 at 8.44.20 PM (resized).png

1 week later
#2674 1 year ago

From the Black Hole manual:

MPU switch 30 to turn Attract mode on/off

MPU switch 32 for background tone (Sound board only, Sound & Speech, this switch stays off):

Screen Shot 2022-09-12 at 1.10.34 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2022-09-12 at 1.10.34 PM (resized).png

Sound board switches 3 and 4 for attract mode:

Screen Shot 2022-09-12 at 11.26.24 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2022-09-12 at 11.26.24 AM (resized).png

#2686 1 year ago
Quoted from Matthew2015:

it some point the e clip on mine must of slipped off or broke off , causing the wire gate fall off and somehow got lost.
what size of e-clip do i need for this ?

Local hardware store like Ace Hardware would have e-clips in the bins in their nuts/bolts aisle. You can buy them one at a time there for probably something like 25¢ each. It's also a great place to get oddball stuff like bushings, springs, t-nuts, etc.

#2688 1 year ago
Quoted from Matthew2015:

i did have to work on the pop bumpers so i did have to remove the wires from the lamp sockets
could i use a wedge socket as a placement ?, the wires are longer so that would easier to solder them back together from under the playfield. or is a different method i could try ?[quoted image]

But why? What is wrong with the original sockets? I just cleaned mine with a scratch pen and good to go.

#2691 1 year ago
Quoted from Matthew2015:

there is nothing wrong the old sockets but i did have to take them off to completely take apart the pop bumper.

You would still have to completely remove any style of socket to take apart the pop bumper. Nothing gained there.

I guess I don't understand the issue or how having wires would be easier there. Soldering two wires together under the playfield is always more difficult because you need a third hand. Plus you'd need to tape or heat-shrink the exposed wire connections and then deal with that next time.

On my four pop bumpers, I just tinned the ends of the socket leads and the wires with solder ahead of time. I held the wire against the lead and touched them with the hot tip of the soldering iron for a couple seconds. Easy and quick.

1 week later
#2726 1 year ago
Quoted from Matthew2015:

how do i repalce the pins in these and what tools do i need?

This is the one with the obsolete pins that are impossible to find. Molex KK series 4366.

Molex 08-03-0304 (singles) or 08-03-0303 (on strips), Qty 66 for these two connector housings.

36d069365ea4496175de8b13f16ff363024184b8 (resized).jpg36d069365ea4496175de8b13f16ff363024184b8 (resized).jpg

1. You can get a kit from Docent Electronics (Order # CAGS5-A1J4-K) that contains all of these wires with pins already crimped on the ends and you simply replace them one by one reusing your plastic housings. Based on the wire colors, it looks like yours was already done using a Docent kit. Maybe do it again just replacing the broken ones and keeping the rest for spares.

https://www.docentelectronics.com/httpdocs/AmusementGames/Pinball/Gottlieb/system%2080.htm

2. There are knockoff Molex pins you can get from just one guy on eBay (equipment99.com). A little less expensive than Docent, but a little more work to crimp them on yourself.

ebay.com link: itm

3. NOS (new old stock) of the obsolete Molex pins from eBay and other vendors. Twice the cost of option 1 and 2 above.

-------------

If you crimp, you'll need a crimper tool that does the double crimp. In any case, you'll need a tiny flat-blade screwdriver, safety pin, or a suitable pin removal tool; whichever works.

See: https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php/General#Pin_Crimping_Tools

I bought this one and it takes a little practice to figure out the size since the numbers on the tool are marked in square mm. If you can convert mm squared to your wire gauge, then you're golden.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08FR38529/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title

#2729 1 year ago
Quoted from Matthew2015:

i found the cpu board my black hole uses.
i just need make sure the switch setting are correct but it does not have all those dip switches like the original board.
it was made in 2005 and it uses a serial port to change setting which my computer is too new to have a serial port. maybe i should get a rottendog mpu ?. it might fix those glitchy displays problems i am having
http://ni-wumpf.com/Legacy/System80CPU.html

If it were me, I'd slow down, refer to PinWiki, get those loose/broken pins replaced first; and then do some logical and methodical troubleshooting before blindly blasting it with part$.

Also, do some Googling and try to locate the "B.H.H.H.C. Black Hole/Haunted House, Gottlieb System 80 Club of America" repair guide by The Pinball Lizard, Joel Cook and Vickie Huisenga. There is a ton of good troubleshooting information in this PDF. Read it cover to cover in addition to referring to PinWiki.

#2731 1 year ago

They're only rated for smaller wire sizes 22-26. The obsolete pins are rated for larger wire sizes 18-24.

Also, I'm not so sure about Molex series 4573 being physically interchangeable with 4366. Otherwise, the rest of us wouldn't be paying more for the Docent kits, OEMs, and knockoffs.

#2734 1 year ago
Quoted from Matthew2015:

... but how could all the display be messed up?

Since all are controlled by MPU, the MPU is probably at the root. But it's just a guess since condition of displays, connectors, etc. are all unknown.

Do you have a logic probe or digital meter? Do you have the schematics? Did you look at the display section of PinWiki?

#2744 1 year ago

I eliminated my power thunk using the same model of reset generator chip that's used to replace the MPU reset section. It was not difficult to do. If you only care about the ball popping out, you would just need to attach the mod to the one driver chip that controls that output. Somewhat simpler and at a later date you can always add jumpers to the other output chips as needed.

https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php/Gottlieb_System_80#Power_on_.22Thunk.22

Quoted from Matthew2015:

where can i get a replacement 24 pin connector housing?

Docent has nearly every single connector housing you could need for System 80. Their style contains the pins permanently in the housing and there are lugs for soldering the wires. I prefer to re-pin the originals, but if that's not possible, Docent has this solution.

https://www.docentelectronics.com/httpdocs/AmusementGames/Pinball/Gottlieb/system%2080.htm

Screen Shot 2022-10-01 at 12.24.03 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2022-10-01 at 12.24.03 PM (resized).png

#2746 1 year ago
Quoted from Matthew2015:

i don't think i can repin the original . looks like someone tried already and did a bad job .
the connectors housing been melted and everything. that why i want to get a new connector housing.

Just wow! That is (or was!) a Docent connector... but looks like a one-armed blind man tried soldering it with a propane torch. Ironically, some of the heat shrink tubing isn't even fully shrunk!

Again, wow!!

I agree... the only option here is clipping it off and starting fresh. A good hot soldering iron with a medium/small tip, quality flux, and decent small diameter solder. Just touching the iron for a second or two should be enough to make the connection. Any smell of melting plastic and you're doing it wrong.

#2749 1 year ago
Quoted from Matthew2015:

... never ordered from docent electronics before. it looks like you can't place an order on their website. i see the parts on there
but there no " add to cart" or anything .

I have ordered from them before. Good people. The owner is retired but answers emails and his daughter fills orders. You email them with a list of parts... they respond with the total price plus shipping. Then you have to send them a USPS money order. They confirm and ship as soon as money order is received.

#2757 1 year ago
Quoted from pin-ball1958:

On a Google search, it says they are closed.

I doubt it. With the Halloween '22 and election messaging, their home page seems pretty up to date and active enough.

Screen Shot 2022-10-03 at 6.41.06 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2022-10-03 at 6.41.06 PM (resized).png

There's also a phone number and ordering instructions.

https://www.docentelectronics.com/httpdocs/Forms%20and%20Info%20pages/shippingandpayment.htm

If you're referring to this, Google relies on crowd-sourcing so that information may not be 100% accurate. Notice the phone number on Google is not correct; and the address does not the match where I sent my last payment. (That may be the founder's location- his daughter took over the business last year)

Screen Shot 2022-10-03 at 6.46.46 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2022-10-03 at 6.46.46 PM (resized).png

#2762 1 year ago
Quoted from pin-ball1958:

Glad you like them!

I was merely responding to false information about them being out of business.

#2765 1 year ago
Quoted from MtnFrost:

Hmmm - moved my BH across a few states, now the ball launcher and lower upkicker aren't working. Has the Pascal board. I'll start reading the manual and do the usual troubleshooting. Posting here in case someone knows the fast answer. Thanks

If you only unplugged everything, etc. to remove the head for the move, then you likely have a dirty connection(s) someplace. You may also have had some bad connections that broke from the vibrations of travel. Gently clean the card edges and inspect the pins in all the plastic housings. Inspect all wiring and solder connections for breakage.

Otherwise, besides connections, there's not much else that trucking vibrations can affect.

#2771 1 year ago
Quoted from MtnFrost:

I had a little luck reseating for the lower upkicker, but only once. Then reseating them again and it's back to not working

Yep... one or more of the connections is bad.

#2773 1 year ago
Quoted from MtnFrost:

That was my thought. I was looking at the schematics and A1J6 should be a place to start.

I'd work backwards from the solenoid to the Driver board connector, etc...

#2775 1 year ago
Quoted from MtnFrost:

I've got the brand new Pascal board in there, so I don't think I should have to worry about anything on the board.

I'm not talking about anything on the boards. I am talking about wires connected to the pins inside the plastic connectors. Start at the solenoid and work towards the connectors rather than starting at the MPU and working outward.

#2778 1 year ago
Quoted from Matthew2015:

so i ordered the SN58B. anyone have any experience with that one.?

Yep. That's the same one I suggested to you previously.

Quoted from Matthew2015:

is there a easier way to do it?

No. There is no shortcut. You sometimes have to fiddle with it or jiggle the tool a bit. You just need to release the locking tab and it comes right out. If the connector is mangled, look at it under magnification and make sure no part of the pin is bent and catching plastic.

#2783 1 year ago
Quoted from Crimcyan:

Anyone recommend a place to buy a readable physical manual from? Having hard time reading some of the board parts on the digital versions available online

Since Gottlieb controls the copyright, you can only buy from a licensed dealer or used via eBay, etc.

PBR is authorized and sells them for $20.

Part number GM-668

http://www.pbresource.com/Blackhole.html#doc

#2786 1 year ago
Quoted from Matthew2015:

so i assume it is one of pop bumper driver boards that's having a problem.

Don't assume anything. Swap with one of your known working pop bumper boards.

#2788 1 year ago
Quoted from Matthew2015:

is there a common component that fails on these?

Have you read the PinWiki yet? Seriously.

https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php/Gottlieb_System_80#Pop_bumper_problems

These are simple boards that are fairly easy to repair. BigDaddy, when they reopen, sells a rebuild kit which makes it easier.

http://www.bigdaddy-enterprises.com/repairkits/gottlieb_kits.htm#g-pop1

#2791 1 year ago
Quoted from Matthew2015:

so the working pop bumper driver in back is the upper center one which i swapped out with the lower center one but the pop bumper did not work even with the working pop driver board so the problem lies elsewhere.

How are you testing? Are you jumpering between pins 4 & 6 on the driver board to bypass the trigger switch?

#2794 1 year ago
Quoted from Matthew2015:

these connectors are different than the ones on the mpu , how do i change them?

Those are called punch-downs. Those are what the "single sided" connectors on your MPU used to look like.

The crimp-on version of these pins are still obtainable and they will fit inside these same plastic punch-down housings without a problem.

Molex 08-52-0072 (single) or Molex 08-52-0071 (on strips)

I found some on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Molex-08-52-0072-Connector-Position-Straight/dp/B06VVJSKWT/ref=sr_1_1

Using Molex crimp-on pins with the punch-down connector...

IMG_3002 copy (resized).jpgIMG_3002 copy (resized).jpg

#2796 1 year ago
Quoted from Matthew2015:

can 2 wires fit in a crimp connector.?

No. I just spliced the two wires together about an inch back from the crimp and left one longer. Crimped onto longer one. Not a big deal.

#2798 1 year ago

I would not try to jam two wires into one crimp-on; it's asking for problems since the crimp is not large enough.

It's really not a big deal to solder and heat shrink unless soldering & heat shrinking is something you're not familiar with. I had to remove the punchdown for my score 3 ground and do the same...

IMG_3005 copy (resized).pngIMG_3005 copy (resized).png

#2800 1 year ago
Quoted from slochar:

It's the way pinrepair.com does it good enough for me.

Ah yes... the same place where this came from...

from Clay's Guide for System 80from Clay's Guide for System 80

We will agree to disagree.

#2802 1 year ago
Quoted from slochar:

your case for dissing the loads of other respected information that pinrepair has

I simply posted a photo. Do not accuse me of "dissing loads of respected info" when no such thing was ever stated. You obviously drew that conclusion completely on your own.

As far as the original idea. Of course it "works" to crimp two wires into one connector. It also "works" to crimp a connector onto a wire by smashing the barrel end with a hammer, but I wouldn't claim it was done properly.

#2805 1 year ago
Quoted from slochar:

to cast doubt on ALL of the advice that pinrepair.com posts. Why did you post it otherwise?

You're inventing words and ideas I never expressed. We're talking about quality of wiring so the photo speaks for itself regarding that.

Quoted from slochar:

I see. You aren't open to ways of doing things that don't match what you consider the correct, only way.
Noted. Noted as well your sarcastic use of quotes, and adding in a ridiculous example afterwards, again to cast doubt on an alternate method of doing something that you don't like.

You seem to be getting very angry and personal instead of just agreeing to disagree.

#2810 1 year ago
Quoted from slochar:

"molex doesn't recommend crimping 2 wires into one pin" (Which AFAIK they don't).

We agree! Now let's wonder why they don't recommend.

#2817 1 year ago
Quoted from Robotworkshop:

Quick question. Does anyone have the specs for the 4 head bolts used on Black Hole? The look like 3/8" threads but unsure of the length. They were missing on the game I got. Also are flat washers used with these?
Thanks!

Yes, they are standard ⅜"-16 bolts, but unsure of the length because mine are not original. You would only need them long enough to make it all the way through the nuts; anything longer is pointless. The washers are just flat washers, but they are larger diameter than standard flat washers. They are also not as large as fender washers. 1.25" O.D. Honestly, I am unsure if my washers are original but they match what I presume are the original indentations in the wood.

1 week later
#2821 1 year ago

Is Black Hole supposed to have either a single or double playfield prop rod? The game I have doesn’t have one.

This game does not have one.

Todd says "bring a two by four":

#2826 1 year ago

I am going to order a manual shortly...

Sending you a direct message.

2 weeks later
#2828 1 year ago
Quoted from FLASHBALL:

.... the side of the tapped screw hole blew out when I loosened the screw....

Maybe there's enough plastic left to drill and tap one screw size larger?

1 month later
#2832 1 year ago
Quoted from matt_adams:

... game will shut down showing SW-06 Bumper error. I was assuming it may be a faulty pop bumper board...

SW-06 and/or game shutting down has nothing to do with pop bumper boards, because these do not have any connection/communication to the MPU. The pop bumpers are activated "directly" by the ball (ball impact -> switch closes -> corresponding pop bumper board fires power to solenoid). When a pop board fails, the pop bumper simply fail to activate, and the MPU never knows anything about it.

However, the scoring switches on the pop bumpers connect to the MPU.

(pop bumper activates -> scoring switch closes -> MPU adds points)

"SW-06" represents the scoring switches for all four pop bumpers on the top playfield. Make sure all of these switches are properly adjusted and none are stuck closed. Look for wire colors 855 (slate/green/green) and 666 (blue/blue/blue) to properly identify the scoring switch contacts.

Screen Shot 2023-01-08 at 1.06.23 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2023-01-08 at 1.06.23 PM (resized).png

#2836 1 year ago
Quoted from petebest:

27"
crome
non-ribbed

AFAIK, all Gottlieb System 80 games have these same legs, right?

#2840 1 year ago

I seem to recall that Haunted House has longer legs in the rear.

Ok, thanks. So I dug into this further...

Quoted from CubeSnake:

Does anyone here know what the proper legs should be for this pin? Black,chrome? Size? TIA!

FWIW, according to this post, Black Hole has the same legs as Haunted House, which are 27" front and 31" rear.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/haunted-house-5#post-6913543

#2847 1 year ago
Quoted from PinballDr:

Black Hole should have four 27 inch legs and Haunted House has two 27 in front and 2 31 in back.

Thank you for sorting that out.

#2867 1 year ago
Quoted from matt_adams:

sparky672 Thanks again dude, turns out one of the pop bumper rings was occasionally sticking down and keeping the scoring switch closed long enough for the machine to think there was a fault. Never would have understood it without your concise description.

Sure thing. Any time.

1 week later
#2888 1 year ago
Quoted from catboxer:

... triggers the tilt sounds, "Tilt,tilt,tilt" but continues to play normally. Tilt relay is not engaged ...

As sysprog suggested, this seems to be a clue. Everything plays normal except you're hearing a sound that you shouldn't. I suspect that you're getting a trigger from perhaps a bad connection. Otherwise, if it had anything to do with actual tilt circuits, you'd get a game stoppage.

Quoted from sysprog:

... check the connector pins on the sound board. I’ve had mine go into tilt,tilt,…. During a game like that and it was that connector.

Yes. I agree with @sysprog. The sound signals are triggered by the Driver board. Check every connection/connector from the Sound & Speech board to the Driver board. Sound signals 1, 2, 4, and 8 are pins 6, 5, 1, and 7 in A3J5; and Sound 16 is pin 9 in A3J2.

Quoted from catboxer:

... I'm thinking this may be a PROM socket issue? ...

Check the basic stuff first. Wires/connectors.

#2892 1 year ago
Quoted from Crimcyan:

Would anyone happen to have the 7 digit rom? I am starting to do the conversation to 7 digits but cant find the rom anywhere online

GameTronik website?

2 weeks later
#2908 1 year ago
Quoted from sbmania:

the game played, but several sounds and speech were missing. Others were present and played at the appropriate times.

Have you performed the Sound and Speech board test procedure that is shown on page 18?

Since the speech is generated electronically and some phrases are working, I suspect that your S & S board is perfectly good but the sound triggers are not reliably coming over from the Driver board.

The SC-01 chip contains the ability to generate 64 different phonemes, and the game's phrases are generated by combining these electronic sounds as per the EPROM. The MPU sends a signal to the Driver board, then the Driver board fires its transistors and sends one or more sound triggers, "S1", "S2", "S4", "S8", "S16", and "S32", out to the S & S board, where the EPROM tells SC-01 how to generate the phrase.

Without the appropriate triggers, the sound will not be generated.

Quoted from sbmania:

After the game has been on for a couple of hours, I lose some speech. Mostly the re-entry and captive ball call outs. Shut the game off, wait for a few hours, and they all come back.

You are correct that you have something that is being affected by heat. Since it's only certain sounds, you may want to focus efforts on your Driver board and connectors. The sound triggers come from the Driver. You can get a logic probe and check outputs next time it fails. Do you have the schematics?

Do not neglect the fact that your connector pins can also be sensitive to heat. Have you re-pinned any connectors? Cleaning will not accomplish much if the metal pins are not springy enough to maintain contact. If they are not maintaining solid contact, temperature can have a huge effect. Not only that, a loose connection will get hot, which then makes the problem worse.

IMHO, I am betting the root problem is in the connector pin(s), especially if your S & S board passes the test on page 18.

3 weeks later
#2921 1 year ago
Quoted from Mad_Dog_Coin_Op:

Coos has them for sale.

Are they really for sale? FWIW, I checked the Coos website and it has Black Hole, but it says:

"The (pinball) backglasses shown on the pictures are not for sale but already used for private restoration projects, pictures for showing purpose only."

https://www.coos.net/bingo_e/Backglasses.html

#2923 1 year ago

I don't need one, but was curious on price.

Since you said they were for sale, but the website says they are not, I was hoping you knew something more.

2 weeks later
#2928 1 year ago
Quoted from codered9394:

I have player 2 display pulling the 42v and 60v down to nothing on my power supply. I noticed this when I turned power on and noticed that all the displays were out. With display 2 unplugged from harness all the other displays come back when powered on. Anybody know if this is fixable on the display board or could I have another issue? I have not removed another display to try in player 2 yet do to not knowing if the problem is related to something else. Looking for a spare display at the moment but was hoping to possibly fix the display if possible if it's the problem.

It's likely the display, but you don't need a spare to test. Just move a known good display from another spot into the Player 2 spot; and if it works, you'll know it's the display.

There is very little that can go wrong on these displays. If the glass is good, the chips and other components can be replaced as needed. If the glass is bad, it can also be changed or you can just salvage the good chips from the board. I have spare boards with no glass, I have spare glass and chips... all still fairly easy to obtain thanks to eBay.

The display driver chips can easily be tested as per this procedure:

https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php/Gottlieb_System_80#/media/File:TestingUDN6118AndUDN7180.jpg

#2933 1 year ago
Quoted from pacman11:

it says error like 5 times and no back ground music

Does this machine have a Gottlieb S&S board with a standard Black Hole sound ROM?

Gottlieb System 80 Sound & Speech cards can not say "error" unless it's part of the game. Black Hole does not say "error"...

Screen Shot 2023-04-09 at 10.03.18 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2023-04-09 at 10.03.18 PM (resized).png

It also does not say "error" in the S&S test routine...

Screen Shot 2023-04-09 at 10.03.59 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2023-04-09 at 10.03.59 PM (resized).png

#2935 1 year ago
Quoted from pacman11:

It sounds like error, error, error, error, error, etc. but maybe it's something else it's saying. It's says it like several times with no background music, but I can still play the game.

Very strange. I don't know what it's saying, but it cannot say "error" even once, let alone five times. (maybe it's possible some MPU or Driver problem is triggering random phonemes that sound like "error"?)

Please take a video of this and post it here. After taking the video, shut down machine and reseat the S&S board connector... then power up and try again.

Also, did you try doing the Sound & Speech test as per page 18 of the manual that I posted above? Follow each step as written.

Quoted from pacman11:

Yes, it's the standard black hole boards in it and rom.

Sound & Speech board, not the "Sound only" board? Which version? There are three that are compatible with System 80. The part number will be on the board.

Does your board have an original Votrax SC-01 chip?

Please post high-res photos of the board.

#2937 1 year ago
Quoted from pacman11:

[quoted image] It might be saying tilt, tilt, tilt, tilt, etc but the tilt light doesn't come on and I can still play the game.

Whether it's saying "tilt" or "error" is a big difference. This is why I was hoping you could post a video so we can hear it.

And that's not a high-res photo of the sound & speech board.

Screen Shot 2023-04-10 at 3.15.38 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2023-04-10 at 3.15.38 PM (resized).png

I'm really trying to help you.

• Can you post a video of the sound so we can hear?
• Did you re-seat the connector to the S & S board yet?
• Did you try doing the S & S test as per page 18 of the manual?
• Which version of S & S board? The part number will be on the S & S board.
• Does your board have a Votrax SC-01 chip?
• Can you post high-res photos of the front & back of the S & S board.

Quoted from sparky672:

Please take a video of this and post it here. After taking the video, shut down machine and reseat the S&S board connector... then power up and try again.
Also, did you try doing the Sound & Speech test as per page 18 of the manual that I posted above? Follow each step as written.

Sound & Speech board, not the "Sound only" board? Which version? There are three that are compatible with System 80. The part number will be on the board.
Does your board have an original Votrax SC-01 chip?
Please post high-res photos of the board.

#2940 1 year ago
Quoted from Redfive05:

I'm going to throw out a guess here.... but I think your sound/speech board is stuck in test mode, and its saying "Four, Four, Four, Four"

Interesting idea. To get the board to say "four" one time, during Game Over, you first have to go through the entire sound test and then jumper pin 11 to ground. Turning machine on/off removes it from the sound test mode.

I wonder what would happen if the sound test button is stuck closed while having a ground on pin 11? Can you get to the end of the flowchart without touching the DIP switches? With a persistent ground on pin 11 does it repeat the sound or just say it once? But it's still not in Game Over when you first turn it on.

#2945 1 year ago
Quoted from pacman11:

Sorry I was trying to upload the video to YouTube and it was taking forever. Here’s video I took earlier.

Absolutely, without a doubt, that's saying: "Tilt, tilt, tilt, tilt.. tilt... tilt.... tilt..... tilt....... tilt"

9 times, not 5, starting fast and each one progressively spoken slower.

#2946 1 year ago
Quoted from pacman11:

Alright turn it on after resetting the connector and it’s working now. I checked the tilt switches but everything looks okay. Weird

Sounds are triggered by a combination of input signals coming through the various sound board connector wires. You had a loose connection(s) that just happened to reproduce the address calling for the tilt sound. You were still able to play because the tilt did not come from a tilt switch and the MPU did not trigger it.

#2951 1 year ago
Quoted from pacman11:

after resetting the connector and it’s working now.

Quoted from pacman11:

Thanks everyone! Hopefully this game well work for sometime now.

You're welcome. Sounds like it would be a good idea to re-pin these connections.

#2954 1 year ago
Quoted from codered9394:

Anybody have any working backbox displays they want to get rid of? Need one for my BH that took a dump. Tried repairing but made it worse I believe. I only need one

All Gottlieb System 1 and System 80 games use the same 6-digit displays for score and 4-digit for credit. They are very repairable and readily available on eBay... both working and non-working for parts.

ebay.com link: itm

What was wrong with it? The glass or the chips? Aside from breaking the glass or the filaments in the glass, it's almost impossible to mess these up. Depending on overall condition, I might be interested in buying your broken display. PM me.

3 weeks later
#2960 11 months ago
Quoted from swamprat96:

If I meter the physical switches they are showing closed- even though none of them are. Its Switch 34 on the matrix and I would be surpised if its the RIOT but I guess it could be?

How can it be the RIOT or anything else on the MPU if you "metered the physical switches" and "they are showing closed"?

Where are you taking this reading? Unplug in the MPU and meter the switches again. You can also read A1-J6 from pin 4 to 14 to see if it's open or closed (pay attention to your meter polarity as you're reading through a diode).

I would disconnect the wires to the switches in question and read the switches and wires separately. It sounds like a short in this circuit someplace. You may have a short in the switch stack so it's electrically closed when it appears visually open.

Also SW34 represents five switches in parallel. Did you locate and test all five of them?

Screen Shot 2023-05-08 at 9.18.31 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2023-05-08 at 9.18.31 PM (resized).png

1 week later
#2965 11 months ago
Quoted from Deadlander:

So I just joined another club and picked up a nice Black Hole project

If I may ask... what did the machine cost you?

#2974 11 months ago
Quoted from ROMM:

Any experience with that seller?

I have no idea about the seller or the machine. Buyer beware, as always.

2 weeks later
#2993 10 months ago
Quoted from KoP:

I've been told (don't know if it's true) that Black Holes exported to Germany, had the spinning disk but no speech. I bought my BH in Germany and it has the spinning disk. I put in the sound/speech board and US roms and now it speaks.

Yes, I believe this to be true. The System 80 Gottliebs with speech that were manufactured for overseas customers, were shipped with plain sound cards, no speech.

#3000 10 months ago
Quoted from DaveTheTrain:

How does one diagnose non working feature lamps on a Gottlieb?

By looking at the schematics.

Screen Shot 2023-06-11 at 8.17.49 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2023-06-11 at 8.17.49 PM (resized).png

I am guessing it's L19, since L37 is the Captive Hole itself.

Assuming the MPU is outputting the signal, I would check every connection pin between the socket and MPU.

Screen Shot 2023-06-11 at 8.23.59 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2023-06-11 at 8.23.59 PM (resized).png

#3003 10 months ago

New to Gottliebs, is that board easily available? Part number or link please

This System 80 Sound & Speech board might be readily available, but the Votrax SC-01 speech chip is hard to find and typically sells for several hundred dollars on eBay. The LM379S amplifier chip is also becoming rare. There's been talk by one or two pinball sellers about a clone of the SC-01, but so far nothing has been produced.

The Sound & Speech board is a B-20887-x, where x denotes 1, 2, or 3. They are all the same board but with minor revisions. In other words, you could get a rev 1 board and make the simple modifications to bring it up to revision 3.

Also check out Pinwiki for this type of information: https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php/Gottlieb_System_80

#3007 10 months ago
Quoted from Crimcyan:

I got curious about the prices for the speach chip and found this speach chip emulator while googling and it lists black hole
https://www.thegeekpub.com/product/sc-01-speech-chip-emulator-votrax/
Wonder if anyone has any experience with installing in thier game

A fellow Pinsider developed this product. If I recall, he was in the EU and worked out a distribution deal with US vendors. At $89, it's less expensive than I remember. AFAIK, it works well enough if you cannot get a Votrax chip, but there were discussions about a couple of slight variations in the sounds.

#3016 10 months ago

Ground mod, I'll have to look that up to confirm. There's a green wire hooked up to a screw on the power board in the backbox. The connector between mpu and driver has what looks like ground pins.

Sounds like you already have this modification. IMO, once you fix the harness between the MPU and Driver by adding a redundant ground and power, the other ground modifications are superfluous.

#3018 10 months ago
Quoted from swamprat96:

question- the wheel in the backbox. I have mine currently set to revolve anti-clockwise based on videos I've seen online. Is this correct?

Yes. Into the hole. CCW...

#3021 10 months ago

.... One thing I don't understand is the four yellow inserts on the lower playfield.
They illuminate when you hit the yellow standups on the right of the main playfield.
But dropping the drops in the lower playfield doesn't seem to do anything to the yellow inserts down there.
At first I thought there was an issue with the game but after watching a few videos it seems to be as intended
Can anyone explain?

Get yourself a copy of the manual. You're going to need it for the schematics anyway.

Pages 6-9 explain game play in detail.

#3026 10 months ago

Does anyone know how game serial numbers work?
Ours has the US backbox, but an export sound board, plus we're in the UK.
The backbox serial is different to the cab.
Is this proof it was originally an export BH but with a US backbox? It would be nice to know if both are BH serials or if the game has been bastardised in more ways.
(I submitted the backbox one to the serial number database before I found the cab one,hoping I'd learn something)

I have a Gottlieb Volcano and my serial number, which is on the backbox matches the S/N on my cabinet and coin door. It also matches the S/N on some of my displays and power supply. My Driver board is missing its sticker, my MPU is from a different Volcano, and my Sound & Speech board is from a Caveman. I hope this provides some insight.

The backbox serial is different to the cab. Is this proof it was originally an export BH but with a US backbox?

It's only proof that your backbox and cabinet came from two different games.

#3033 10 months ago
Quoted from swamprat96:

I ended up using warm white throughout to try and keep the machine looking as original as possible.

2 weeks later
#3044 9 months ago

Slightly twisting the tool in both directions, while very gently pulling, helps too. Twisting or rotating pushes the edge of the flat a little more into the tang.

I never needed to use pliers to pull these wires. Force is not required once the tang is released; and pulling the wire harder only puts that much more force on the tang making it even harder to release.

2 weeks later
#3053 9 months ago

If I start multiball but the gate is closed when both balls drain, the first ball comes up the tube and drains but as the second one comes up the tube and the gate opens saving the ball.

4th bullet point in the manual says both balls should be lost, if I am understanding your question.

Screen Shot 2023-07-26 at 1.49.41 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2023-07-26 at 1.49.41 PM (resized).png

#3055 9 months ago

I wonder what would cause this behaviour.

A switch gap is too close, bounces, and registers twice for one ball?

#3058 9 months ago

Can you explain your thinking here?
One ball fires up, then what switch would open the gate?

Look for switches that detect ball's location... rollover switches are one example. There's also one called "Ball Tube Kicker" switch.

#3069 9 months ago

I've emailed Pascal about the gate as surely it's a bug?

Then everyone with this Pascal board would be experiencing the same.

It happens on both boards, which aren't original. Maybe it's a repro board thing?

The likely-hood that the same bug affects two different brands of boards is about zero.

I can't see how it would be mechanical issue or switch causing it.

Why not? You've already tried two different boards and get the same result.

#3076 9 months ago

The mechanisms and switches are working

100% verified or this is an assumption? Have you physically tested the MPU is getting the signal from every switch in the matrix? Even without a switch matrix test rig, you can put game into switch test mode and manually trip all of the switches to see if all inputs are reliably registered by the MPU.

#3079 9 months ago

So I'd assume every switch is working.

If Pascal comes back to you and says there is no bug in his board, then making these kinds of assumptions is not going to solve your issue.

The board would let me know if a switch is stuck closed

Sure... but it can never let you know if a switch is stuck "open".

Maybe there's a broken wire, maybe a connector pin is dirty/broken, maybe a switch contact is dirty or misaligned, maybe a switch is bent too far open and never makes contact... none of these conditions can be automatically tested, and some are not visually detectable. You would need to put it into switch-test mode and manually close every switch to see if the MPU picks it up.

The MPU depends on every single one of the various input signals. If it's not an MPU bug, then it's not getting all the proper feedback from the playfield.

#3082 9 months ago

... I don't see how a random switch somewhere stuck open has any influence...

How exactly would the MPU know what to activate if not for the switch inputs?

Unplug A1-J6 (while powered down of course), and then try playing a game without the switch matrix connected.

So it's not an original Gottlieb BH ROM? I might be wrong.

Correct. His website says that he wrote the software. However, surely others would be reporting the same issue if a bug.

#3085 9 months ago

You know what I meant, surely.

Obviously not.

It makes no sense.

None of this makes any sense.

Therefore, I am only suggesting that you take nothing for granted, make no assumptions, and simply perform logical definitive testing to rule other things out. Instead, you'd rather argue that it has to be a software bug. You win, and I'll wait to hear about Pascal's forthcoming fix.

#3087 9 months ago

To be fair I did say it worked fine on the other board, which would eliminate a switch issue.

Yes, but in my defense, you also said this...

It happens on both boards, which aren't original. Maybe it's a repro board thing?

Looking back, I realize now was perhaps a different context, but that was not entirely clear at the time.

#3100 9 months ago
Quoted from Crimcyan:

Would anyone know if there is a generic coinbox that will fit in a blackhole?

Generic? It's just a metal box. There's a cover with three holes, but maybe you don't care about the cover? What exactly are you trying to do? Are you putting machine into service and want to keep the coins locked away from your service staff? Or are you just wanting something for your own use?

I never saw any reproductions or generics. I found my original on eBay several years ago. Try calling Steve at Pinball Resource.

If you don't care about finding an original and don't need the lid, then why not just use any kind of box or container? If you are looking for something with a better fit and a locking lid, anyone you know with some basic tin working tools and a sheet-metal brake could make one.

#3102 8 months ago
Quoted from Crimcyan:

Im just looking for something that fits and wont slide around since its going on location. Dont need a lid or anything just the tray, cant find any that are for sale atm

Maybe you'll get lucky and find a loaf pan or some other square tray that fits. Otherwise, have a sheet metal shop bend one up for you.

#3112 8 months ago
Quoted from jasonbar:

Repair possible?
Or replace?
If replace, what's a good source for these?

They are super simple to repair... only a few parts. Otherwise, if you need to replace the glass, used displays are on eBay. Even the ones I've acquired that were listed as "untested" have worked or been easy to repair. Just be aware, zoom in on the photos and inspect the glass closely. Two things are a game-stopper:

• White dot in one or more corners of the glass means the vacuum has been compromised. Glass is trash.
• One or more of the horizontal filament wires are broken. It may work but portions will be dim and its life shortened.

(even so, the chips might be worth taking a chance if you can get the display for $10 or so)

Otherwise, the chips can be DMM tested as per the PinWiki procedure and swapped out. Also, check for cracked or broken legs on the glass, which could be soldered.

#3114 8 months ago
Quoted from swamprat96:

no background sounds at all. I'm hoping that's not the sc01 chip

Background sounds have nothing to do with the SC-01, which is only used for speech.

See: https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php/Gottlieb_System_80#Sound_and_Speech_Board_Operation

Have you tried the sound/speech board test procedure on page 18 of the manual?

#3119 8 months ago
Quoted from swamprat96:

the fact it happened mid game after been on for 8 hours means I'm still looking at the 40 year old amp overheating.

That's probably your issue. In addition to caps, don't overlook that 40-yr-old logic gates on the S & S board can also cause weird things to happen...

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-80-sometimes-a-random-continuous-sound-on-boot

#3122 8 months ago
Quoted from swamprat96:

One of your quotes was part of an article I contributed to years ago!

Which quote?

2 weeks later
#3135 8 months ago
Quoted from petebest:

When I press the test button, I get one loud tone, if I press it again I get “completed”.
Any thoughts on this?

You should get another tone, not skip to the end. Maybe the test button is dirty and registers twice/multiples?

You're exactly following the instructions on page 18?

EDIT: Failed to mention he has a Pascal all-in-one board.

#3141 8 months ago
Quoted from petebest:

the game has a pascal all in 1 board

You should have mentioned that first.

#3144 8 months ago
Quoted from petebest:

I have the manual, looked at it.
I don’t even have an understanding of how to complete the test process.
Once I press the test button, then what? Am I just supposed to wait? Following the chart downward, I simply don’t understand.
Thx
Pete

I thought the "all-in-one" included the sound board?

Otherwise, what part of page 18 or the flow-chart has you confused?

Must be in Game Over mode. Press button and get a tone. If it passes the RAM and EPROM tests, then if all the DIP switches are OFF, it will say "off". Otherwise, if all DIP switches are ON, it will say "on". If you press the test button on this step, then it's skipped and you will get another tone. Then turn OFF DIP switch 1 and proceed to the jumper tests in the box below.

4 weeks later
#3168 7 months ago
Quoted from frenchmarky:

I think I will try removing the gangly old ground mod wires I'd added to the mpu and driver boards decades ago since the driver now has doubled-up ground and 5V connections

I did that too. No regrets.

1 week later
#3180 6 months ago
Quoted from HobbyGuy:

why are Black Holes so cheap, given their awesome appearance and game play? The average seems to be about 3.1K

The law of supply & demand which is mostly driven by emotion. And although I love this hobby, prices seem to be really crazy.

Therefore, I would not consider that "cheap" for a 42-yr-old System 80 machine that is most likely in a condition where it's not fully reliable until every flaky connection and component is located and replaced. An enormous amount of work that you would "do it yourself", otherwise you're financially under water when complete.

When I recently searched for a Black Hole "project" machine, I came across people asking $2,000 - $3,000 for machines that needed a full rebuild, parts missing, hacked up wiring, or similar. The nice ones, supposedly "fully shopped", seem to be in $4,000 to $5,000 range.

#3183 6 months ago
Quoted from HobbyGuy:

... if that were holding true Addams Family would be really cheap?

I'm not sure what part of my other post led you to that conclusion. I made zero claims, aside from the accepted reality that 40-yr-old Gottlieb SS machines need some attention to be reliable.

Quoted from HobbyGuy:

"Cheap" is a completely subjective and relative term. What's cheap for one might be expensive for another. You may think $3,000 for an older machine that is going to need work is "cheap" and I may disagree. This is only my subjective opinion.

Quoted from HobbyGuy:

Aside from the market forces of "supply/demand", there are no rules to any of this, which was my only point. Some machines are hotter than others. Some prices go up over time and some come down. Older machines from the 50's, 60's and 70's are generally less expensive than machines from the 80's, which runs counter to age or rarity making things more valuable. Overall today, in my opinion, prices are nuts in general... but if they're in demand, lots of people want and are willing to pay, so prices go up.

At one point in history, beanie babies were worth thousands. Now most (not all) are pretty much worthless.

And these Gottlieb System 80 machines were a lot less expensive only a few years ago (for funzies, check out the old Pinside Market ads for Black Hole just 5 years ago). This may have to do with the various plug & play aftermarket boards that eliminate difficult/expensive board-level repairs?

Quoted from HobbyGuy:

I hadn't seen that - I was just looking at the average here

I wasn't referring to a recent Pinside market search, but an actual quest where I talked to folks who sent me photos and a asking price. It was nuts considering that I was literally looking for a broken machine that needed a lot of work, so I was not expecting prices nearly as high as the so-called working machines.

#3185 6 months ago
Quoted from HobbyGuy:

Sorry, I was just thinking about the supply and demand side of this you mentioned. Didn't mean to come off offending.

You did not. No apologies required. I was just clarifying that supply & demand is governed by emotion (demand), so therefore, the "if this, then what about that?" are not fair comparisons.

Quoted from HobbyGuy:

believe me, I'm all interested in hearing that BH machines have gone for more.

And less... I missed a non-working BH in good condition for $600 last year in WI by only a couple of weeks... followed by one in not-so-good non-working dirty-basement condition in MN for $1000. I would have taken either/both had I been following FB Marketplace more closely.

1 month later
#3204 5 months ago
Quoted from firefighter:

... so I’m just going to order a new board as the old one is a little toasty.

Save, sell, or give away the old one. It's very easy to rebuild (rock solid once done) and some other hobbyist may want an original.

1 month later
#3208 3 months ago
Quoted from swamprat96:

I've picked up a spare sys 80 display but it's currently dead. The display has the black dots so looks intact. The filaments light up with clays old 24 volt trick and both udn6118s test ok using the continuity test from pinwiki/clay. There's really not much else on this board to go wrong. I have done some rudimentary trace checking.. any suggestions? I just want a spare test display as I've never managed to repin the display plugs being idc

24 volts seems like way more than needed and a risk to burning out the filaments. I use a 12 volt DC power supply for about 30 seconds. Other people use a 9 volt battery, but that never worked for me.

If you're sure the two chips test good and the display looks good visually, then examine the solder joints under very high magnification looking for cracks. Also, did you check the resistor value? And the caps for shorts? You tested it in several positions to rule out the connection pins?

#3218 3 months ago
Quoted from REGNE:

You could have a broken leg right where they go into the display glass.

Exactly. In addition to broken traces, solder joints, etc. Examine carefully under high magnification. There's not much else.

#3220 3 months ago
Quoted from swamprat96:

and as you say not too bad to crimp two wires together

Not me. I am a proponent of solder splicing the two wires into a Y so you only have to crimp one wire into the connector as designed.

1 week later
#3235 3 months ago

I don't even know how you'd be able to make a working 1:6 scale pinball machine. Seems like quite a technical challenge.

They also sell a mini soda machine, cigarette machine, money changer, etc. Interesting concept if you're building a 1:6 scale model of an arcade.

#3239 3 months ago
Quoted from matt_adams:

Switched my black hole on tonight and noticed that the infinity lights in the back glass are really dim, probably half the brightness they usually are.
I've reseated all the connectors that seem to be related to these lights but with no change. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what would cause this?

Have you measured the voltage at a socket yet? It looks like these are fed by 6.3 VAC coming through connector A12 at pins 7 & 8. Unplug it here and check AC voltage at pins 7 & 8 on the side that goes down to the main cabinet.

Have you checked the fuse? I think it might be F7 according to the manual. Try reading AC voltage across the fuse... it should read zero unless the connection is bad or flaky.

There's not much to this circuit... 6.3 VAC output from transformer, through a fuse, then into connector A12, and then up to lamp sockets. Also verify 6.3 VAC coming out of the transformer lugs.

Do you have the wiring diagrams?

EDIT: as pointed out in a subsequent comment, you may be talking about lamps driven by the Aux Lamp Board. Same advice, refer to the wiring diagrams and check voltages at the relevant connector pins. Unplug and reseat the connectors on the Aux Lamp Board to see if it makes any difference. If so, then you'll need to fix these connector pins.

1 week later
#3248 82 days ago
Quoted from EntityClay:

Heh that's what I figured. I'll report back once it is removed!

I'd assume, that you'd assume, that it might be threaded and to try twisting first rather than pulling.

1 week later
#3258 72 days ago
Quoted from Lithium:

PBR should have the entire set in stock here: https://www.pbresource.com/Blackhole.html

I would suggest inspecting them carefully upon receipt. They're licensed reproductions, which is fine. But the drops I bought from PBR for my Volcano were lower quality than the originals. The ink was smeared badly on a few of them, and the ones without smeared ink had incomplete image transfers. IMO, there's no good reason these cannot be manufactured with good images like the originals. Just an FYI.

#3261 69 days ago
Quoted from bluespin:

I’m sure he’ll offer to send you replacements.

For sure. Whenever there have been issues with PBR, they've sent replacements. However, when I got my drop targets from PBR many years ago, I was not really into this hobby yet and my machine was very rough, so I was just glad to get targets that were intact and never complained - I thought the smeared graphics were "good enough" at the time. Now that I have become more familiar with pinball thanks to Pinside, I realize I should have said something and had them exchanged for better.

#3263 68 days ago
Quoted from swamprat96:

I've had a bit of a random startup issue on bh for years now which always clears itself once I turn it off and on a few times. It doesn't boot and will lock the controlled lights on sometimes or coils or both or none and makes a 10 point sound. Two or three reboots and it sorts itself out....

Quoted from swamprat96:

... I suspect the reset section of the board but it's damage free and looks original.

My System 80 game did the same until I replaced the MPU reset section. Even though I couldn't see any alkaline battery damage, it became very apparent as I was removing parts. Many were cracked and disintegrating in unseen areas... for example, a few resistor leads just fell right out of their resistor bodies.

#3265 68 days ago
Quoted from swamprat96:

Ahh ok time for a closer look. Many thanks

Sure thing.

Be aware that I experienced damage that could never be seen until the component was removed. A transistor looked perfect but when I desoldered it, it came apart; and I consider myself very competent and able to remove good IC chips intact and working.

1 week later
#3271 57 days ago
Quoted from dung:

I need to order a replacement test switch, but I can't seem to find any info. Can anyone tell me what I need to order?

Functionally/electrically, it's just a single pole, N.O. (normally open), momentary contact, push-button style, panel-mount switch. Anything that you can secure into the hole would work. You should have no concern about its power rating since it's for a low voltage MPU signal; any switch that fits into that hole would be way over-rated electrically.

For cosmetics/restoration, call Steve at PBR. I cannot find the item/number in my 1982 Gottlieb Parts Catalog.

3 weeks later
#3278 36 days ago
Quoted from swamprat96:

Beware the solenoid test in the manual is wrong

Yes. Also, solenoids are listed in two places in the manual. One is wrong and the other is correct.

1 week later
#3284 28 days ago

Check all the pop bumper boards to see if they are updated.

Not only updated, but with new headers and connector pins. Mine were so worn out and flaky.

#3290 24 days ago
Quoted from coming2u:

Assuming there's not supposed to be a nail...

I made that assumption on a different System 80 machine and removed them. Big mistake. These are factory and put there to protect things. On my Volcano, they keep the ball from pushing the slingshots in too far and deforming the switches.

Quoted from coming2u:

... maybe there's a different rubber ring needed?

Check the manual - page 39. Looks correct.

Screen Shot 2024-04-01 at 10.05.33 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2024-04-01 at 10.05.33 AM (resized).png

Screen Shot 2024-04-01 at 10.05.19 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2024-04-01 at 10.05.19 AM (resized).png

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Ottawa, ON
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sparky672.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/black-hole-club-members-only?tu=sparky672 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.