PXL_20240103_220434164.jpg
IMG_5107 (resized).jpeg
PXL_20231029_054015295 (resized).jpg
PXL_20231029_053936841 (resized).jpg
PXL_20231029_053945558 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

6 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1614 How to light up the tube Posted by Mudflaps (5 years ago)

Post #1618 Example photo for a lit tube Posted by Mudflaps (5 years ago)

Post #1628 Example photo for a lit tube Posted by gweempose (5 years ago)

Post #3035 Example for using Ice blue LEDs Posted by Crimcyan (10 months ago)

Post #3157 Adding a potentiometer to the aux lamp driver board for chase lights Posted by Redfive05 (7 months ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider regne.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#511 9 years ago

Ok. Sorry to just jump in. Newest member of the club here. However, I feel like I know many of you already. Purchased my Black Hole last Saturday from The_Gorilla (2/7/2015)

Playing tonight started out like usual. Less than 50K,or an occasional 100K, until my second multi ball experience on BH landed me 340K. Then my daughter loaded up 25 credits. We played a bit prior to the kids' bedtime. At one point our four players' score (her 2 and my 2) added up to around 130K. Pathetic. I thought, Man, I pissed this thing off.
After the kids were put to bed, I decided to get back after it. One credit after another the BH seemed to be cursed. Definitely, a mind of its own. I can't tell you what seemed like the fastest games of pinball ever played. Many ended less than 30K. I can't believe the #of SDTM, the #of f-ing right flipper trap fails (through the gate), or the #of moonwalks off the left, or the bastard pop in the bottom corner draining me. I thought about filming the massacre, or the comedy, however you want to look at it, to share with all of you. With all the credits gone, I thought about giving the newest member of the family (the Black Hole) shaken baby syndrome. I just couldn't give up. After a while, the sounds at plunger pull sounded like "It" was laughing at me. I decided to put credits on one at a time as to fool the machine or something, so it couldn't plan my demise. I was planning my rant to post.
A few more games came and went. Until… The game of my life, so far. I don't know or remember exactly what all happened. It all happened so fast. Blur! I know I did well in the basement with one G-force lit and 3x at one point. Got Multiball and an extra ball on ball 3. After the drain, I saw the score run over 950K and thought, "I'm going to get the high score" (which is 975570.). Shoot, maybe even >1M. Could be possible? With the extra ball I proceeded to get a second Multiball! No f-ing way. All said and done. All tallied up. Carry the 1.

Ended the night on a good note. However, 975570 still stands as the "high". You'll have to take my word for it. I don't think I'm going to run out and get a seven digit conversion just yet. I also, for some reason, feel I owe Gerry an apology. Over 1M within five days of owning. Yes. The glass was on!

What an excellent pin. Just when you feel like flipping it over on its side, "It" decides to let you get some points and have a great game once in a while. So begins the love-hate. Nice to be part of the club. image.jpgimage.jpg

#512 9 years ago

BTW. My new avatar is the "bastard pop" in the bottom corner.

Respect the pop.

#515 9 years ago

My 2 year old son, when playing and drains, already has the low grumble and glass slap down perfectly.

1 week later
#518 9 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

are you me posting via time tunnel from a year ago?
» YouTube video

Yes. I believe so. I don't know where he learned this.

1 year later
#1077 7 years ago

The red and ?white? captive hole targets look out of place as well. All 4 should be yellow. hootowls link to PBR has them listed.

3 months later
#1269 7 years ago
Quoted from MrArt2u:

So, what do I check on the displays?

Check traces. Needed to do this on one of my Spiderman displays.. I guess I could have went straight to the other solder point and skipped the trace all together Good luck.

IMG_6655 (resized).JPGIMG_6655 (resized).JPG

3 weeks later
#1329 6 years ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

Need to see what sw is worth 5k so I can see if flipper vibrations are causing it

Absolutely! I had a "10 point" on my MGOW that would run up the score with flipper action. Happened after a strip and clean. I needed to find the switch and adjust it... So look for that 5K switch.

2 months later
#1386 6 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

Finally tearing mine down. When you guys put yours back together did you use plastic acorns or new metal ones to hold the plastics down?

I need to tear mine down finally as well. I hope to get to it this year. I'm going with metal acorns.

For the other System 1 and System 80s I've got & done, I've gone back to metal acorns. My Close Encounters had rubber ones. Got rid of them. IMOO the metal acorns look the best. I just don't tighten them down all the way. Make sure your plastics can still move a bit. Especially, if you don't have protectors. Helps to avoid cracking from the ball.

#1390 6 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

Also is there a "map" or guide that shows where which kind of post goes where?
Looking for:
Where is the 7th 1" 3/16 post?
where are all the siamese 1" posts
Where is the GTB-A9394W roll over guide?
Are all the post screws capped by a acorn nut? I have a handful of white rubber caps on some....

I opened the hood last night for you.
See the excerpts from the manual also. I color coded and corrected a numbering error I found.

- BLUE: shows 1 3/16" post locations (4 upper and 3 lower)
* "7th location" is under the plastic. It bows up a bit, but maybe Gottlieb had trouble with the ball smacking the plastic.
- RED: shows 1" Siamese posts (5 upper)
- GREEN: I did not see a A-9394, but according to the manual there is one White A-9393.
- PURPLE: shows metal acorn nut. 39 locations. (23 upper & 16 lower)
* My upper playfield re-entry gate has one on left hand side of the gate.
* also above the RH PB on lower playfield there is no hole in plastics, so no nut required.

lower playfield map1 (resized).pnglower playfield map1 (resized).png

upper playfield map (resized).pngupper playfield map (resized).png

#1392 6 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

What page in the manual?

Page 39 for lower
Page 41 for upper
Doesn't really show detail for the tall/short or split posts though.

5 months later
#1434 6 years ago

I've got a good player transforming into a great player.. In the middle of a teardown. I'm in need. Thought I would check here.

- Blue Plexi for credit & ball in play on apron
- "B" drop target
- Top PF: LH lower playfield - small triangle
- Top PF: RH lower playfield - below RH flippers

Also, does anybody have water transfers already done for the pop bumper areas?
This image is my cleaned up and waxed state. Not sure if I want to paint (newb). Also a newb to water transfer.
I'm considering just installing new GTB mylar disks and call it a day, but I am interested in transfers.

IMG_3425[1] (resized).JPGIMG_3425[1] (resized).JPG

1 month later
#1442 6 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

I looked in my Instruction Manual and didn't see this part list or rubber list. Where is it?

It's in the instruction manual...
Page 39 shows lower playfield
Page 41 shows upper playfield

2 weeks later
#1471 6 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

So this is odd, putting the game back together and the upper pf coil is resting/hitting this “wall” on the lower pf.

Is one of these walls shorter or is this flipped?

I had the same exact issue not less than a month ago. ((I didn't reference my teardown pictures prior. attached.)) The lower playfield metal at the side should be flipped the other way. 3 screws to the inside. I believe the metal side walls to be the same part number. (QTY 3)

IMG_3480 (resized).JPGIMG_3480 (resized).JPG

#1479 6 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

OH quick question. The posts rubbers. A-10217 should I get 3/16 or 5/16? Not sure what came stock as PBR lists both sizes under that p/n.

I asked Jimmy over at PBResourse specifically for the 3/8” post rings. Just a bit more expensive, but I believe they are closer to original. (I forgot to get them for the Touchdown, but the other 4 pins have them)

I also want to say I needed to use an old one on the post under the flipper on the lower playfield.

1 week later
#1486 6 years ago

Ok. I thought I read bout this before... Why are my lights rotating CCW. Drop some science please.

7 months later
#1610 5 years ago
Quoted from NicToria:

All of these don't register when hit or rolled over. Left top rollover, middle pop bumper, B,C,H targets and a few other things. I looked it up in the manual and found all of them to be on strobe 0 (or maybe 1) but I could not find it on the board diagram. It seems like it is a simple fix since they are all related.

Yes. All of the switches that you list are on strobe 0.
(SW00) Left top rollover
(SW06) middle pop bumper, However, all pops are on SW06. If stobe 0 is out... there should be no pop 'scoring'.
(SW03) B
(SW04) C
(SW02) H

1) Make sure your harness has continuity. yellow-black-black wire. A1J6-1 to switches.
2) Then make sure when your harness is attached at A1J6 you have continuity at A1J6-1 on CPU to the switches. Confirms the edge connector pin.
3) If connections are all good... Strobe 0 traces to Z12 pins 1&2 on the A1 CPU board. It's a 7404, probably bad. You can check by using a multimeter on diode test. Reference Pinwiki for test procedure.
4) If chip tests bad, remove Z12, add socket to A1, and replace with new 7404. (Z12 is dead center on A1 board)

Hope this helps your friend out.

#1612 5 years ago
Quoted from NicToria:

Thanks a ton...We will check this for sure...This weekend..NT

Also, if you haven't already... check all the 1N270 germanium diodes on the diode strips/banks. Those are the diodes in the switch matrix.
Diode test by using a multimeter. pretty straight forward. Reference pinwiki.

1 year later
#1910 4 years ago
Quoted from JerryM:

Perhaps there is an issue with my board?

Replace those old electrolytic caps.

I had similar issue with no sound on Caveman.
I replaced caps on the S/S power board and the S/S board. (those orange ones definitely have to go)

9 months later
#2029 3 years ago
Quoted from TronGuy:

The display on the lower playfield, and on the credit # and ball # sometimes comes up as garbled lines.

Could be 5101 RAM on PCB. or it's socket connection issues.
Also, maybe need to re-pin connector and check/reflow solder at backside of display.

1 month later
#2085 3 years ago
Quoted from goingincirclez:

Minimal alkaline damage was previously repaired; the clock and reset section is working and CPU is getting good clock and ready signals.

Sounds to me like MPU is not booting.
1) Don't trust that alkaline damage was fully repaired.
2) Do you have activity off of the CPU?
3) U2 or U3 hot to touch? how about U4/5/6? and the game ROMs?
4) need to re-pin edge connectors

2 months later
#2231 2 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

At least when it happens you learn to not hold the flipper up like that again.

Sadly...It seems I cannot learn this... always forgetting or hoping for a different outcome. insanity.

#2235 2 years ago

I'm more frustrated when I've earned that gate open (& when coming back up from the lower field) I get a gate jumper that drains.
I also get some that jump when the gate is closed...so...I guess I can't complain.

1 year later
#2490 1 year ago
Quoted from FLASHBALL:

causes the tilt sound

Tilt sound only? No actual tilt?
Coil could be causing another switch to close…but not a tilt since that’s not happening. Point switch.
Look into the sound lines combined with the switch matrix. Some chip that does double duty may be at fault. Then use the diode check on pinwiki.

Basically, find what sound line the tilt sound is on and work out the schematics from there.

#2510 1 year ago
Quoted from MtnFrost:

What's the solution? Light sand and re-tin each strip?

Yeah. So. I does look rough. I’d first try the fiberglass pen (+1). Next, step up to 2000 or 1000 grit. Re-tin all the bare copper with tin solder. Be sure to wipe it off as you re-tin to keep it thin.

10 months later
#2978 11 months ago
Quoted from ROMM:

Any experience with that seller?

Looks like Mike Cavalieri of Pinball Past here in Omaha.
I've been to his shop a couple of times and have met him.

5 months later
#3201 5 months ago
Quoted from firefighter:

does just a little fade in and out

Sounds like a power supply rebuild is in your future.

1 week later
#3206 5 months ago
Quoted from firefighter:

New board put in and all is well.

send the old PS my way

1 month later
#3217 3 months ago
Quoted from swamprat96:

There's really not much else on this board to go wrong. I have done some rudimentary trace checking.. any suggestions?

You could have a broken leg right where they go into the display glass.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Ottawa, ON
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 8.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider regne.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/black-hole-club-members-only?tu=regne and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.