PXL_20240103_220434164.jpg
IMG_5107 (resized).jpeg
PXL_20231029_054015295 (resized).jpg
PXL_20231029_053936841 (resized).jpg
PXL_20231029_053945558 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

6 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1614 How to light up the tube Posted by Mudflaps (5 years ago)

Post #1618 Example photo for a lit tube Posted by Mudflaps (5 years ago)

Post #1628 Example photo for a lit tube Posted by gweempose (5 years ago)

Post #3035 Example for using Ice blue LEDs Posted by Crimcyan (9 months ago)

Post #3157 Adding a potentiometer to the aux lamp driver board for chase lights Posted by Redfive05 (7 months ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinkitten.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1785 4 years ago

Joined the club today! I’ve been hoping to add a sys80 pin for awhile, and considered a few games like HH and BH. I read good things about BH, the difficulty, the rules and theme integration. I’m already working on restoring this to as nice a game as I can make it. Replacing all drop targets and rusty legs. The main mpu board is really dirty and dusty, but the game plays fine. No reason to drop $175 for a new Rottendog board if it’s just dirty. I saw videos that you can actually detach and wash circuit boards, just be sure they are dry before powering back up. I was surprised to learn that. But I’m going to try it! Looking forward to cleaning this classic pin up!

Are there any adjustable settings on Black Hole, such as free play?

#1795 4 years ago

Thanks for the tips! I did discover the settings you can change with the 24 dip switches on the main mpu board in the head. It allows up to 25 credits saved, I think, so each time I play it I just open the coin door and manually add 20-25 credits. Free play for hours after that. Do most people play BH with 3 balls per game, or 5? That’s another setting in the dip switches. I’m guessing 3, but it’s such a hard game at first, maybe 5 is more reasonable for average players?

#1804 4 years ago

I was shocked at how heavy this table is! They don’t build them like that anymore. I disconnected all the wires and removed the head, and the head alone is massive and heavy. So solid. We were able to get the main cabinet up the stairs with a very small dolly (I forgot my hand-truck at home), but it wasn’t easy. Can’t wait to get it all inside and set up.

#1806 4 years ago

Was able to get mb for the first time last night. Had to play about 15 games to start one mb. It’s a real challenge to lock balls up and down, then start mb and be able to return both balls up for 3-ball. I like how difficult that is. On some recent releases, you can start multiball modes with a few shots without trying very hard or even knowing why you qualified it. You are highly unlikely to accidentally start mb on The Black Hole.

Question, are the BLACK HOLE drop targets important? Are they simply to qualify higher scoring? I know the stand ups qualify the upper ball lock. I assume the BH drops would be important.

#1813 4 years ago

Replaced all 16 drop targets with new tonight. One was broken off, making it impossible to complete that bank. Others just worn out. Raising both playfields was daunting at first, but it was easier than I expected. Once I did, it was incredible to see how these were built, like tanks. No way any pinball co would attempt a game like this today. Lower playfields aren’t uncommon now (Congo, ACDC, Munsters) but none of those are as elaborate as Black Hole’s inverted half playfield. Plenty to do down there. Impressive engineering, and Gottlieb Sys80 hasn’t been that bad to work on so far. Knock on wood!

I need to replace the backbox 3rpm motor tho. It’s prob original and does work, but isn’t smooth and is noisy. Anyone have good luck recently updating their rotating backbox motor? Suggestions?

#1834 4 years ago

Looks fantastic! Good price for the motor.

How difficult is it to install? I'm sure it's not just plug and play with the existing 2-prong connector, but requires rewiring? Did you need a new control board for the motor, or just the motor?

Thanks!

2 weeks later
#1846 4 years ago
Quoted from jibmums:

What is a decent condition, fully working BH going for these days?

Recently paid $2600 for a decent condition, fully working example. Needed shop job, and new motor for spinning backglass mech. I replaced that, and put all new drop targets in and attached new chrome legs. Very cool, challenging pin!

1 month later
#1868 4 years ago

I bought a new motor for the spinning display, but it's a different size and shape and will require a different bracket or retrofit. Any suggestions on a bracket that might work? I don't have the ability or tools to drill holes in metal. Any ideas are appreciated!

#1871 4 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

What motor did you buy?

This one, plus a small bracket that fits this motor. But I would need to drill new holes in the original metal plate that mounts the motor to the backbox. Then I have to mount the spinning wheel onto the rotating motor.

I asked someone with a more powerful drill to help, I’ll post pics if we have success.

3F0734DA-4FFA-445F-BF49-D07F4BF381C4 (resized).png3F0734DA-4FFA-445F-BF49-D07F4BF381C4 (resized).png
#1873 4 years ago

This one doesn’t line up with the mounting plate on my machine. But I have a friend with a heavy duty drill and can retrofit a bracket.

1 week later
#1882 4 years ago

So sorry man. That stinks. When I bought my BH and removed the head for transport, I was very worried about this. It’s easy to do. Not all of my connectors were still clearly marked after 40 years. I took a bunch of pictures of the wiring configuration before disconnecting them, which I relied on heavily later. But this can happen easily.

#1884 4 years ago

I’ll be very interested to know what the electrical experts here have to say. When I added my BH, I was very encouraged to see that virtually every board is still produced, by Rottendog or others. I replaced my power supply with new. I noted that the speech and other boards were available. Expensive, but available.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

$ 83.00
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts

$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinkitten.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/black-hole-club-members-only?tu=pinkitten and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.