PXL_20240103_220434164.jpg
IMG_5107 (resized).jpeg
PXL_20231029_054015295 (resized).jpg
PXL_20231029_053936841 (resized).jpg
PXL_20231029_053945558 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

6 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1614 How to light up the tube Posted by Mudflaps (5 years ago)

Post #1618 Example photo for a lit tube Posted by Mudflaps (5 years ago)

Post #1628 Example photo for a lit tube Posted by gweempose (5 years ago)

Post #3035 Example for using Ice blue LEDs Posted by Crimcyan (10 months ago)

Post #3157 Adding a potentiometer to the aux lamp driver board for chase lights Posted by Redfive05 (7 months ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider onion.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#753 8 years ago

I'm in the club! Picked up my Black Hole yesterday. Having an issue with the machine kicking all the balls out into the plunger after draining the first ball. After this it tilts out. I'm not much up on pinball machine repair. Can anyone offer a suggestion on where to start with this issue?

#755 8 years ago
Quoted from blownfuse:

Start by checking all your tilt switches to be sure they're operating correctly, also check the ball through switch to be sure it opens. Also, since the game is booting to attract mode, I'd suggest going into the switch test and see if you can find anything out of place. Look for switches closed and then check them to be sure the CPU and the switch are both the same. If you have all drop targets in their up position and all balls removed from the game, you should see a "99" in the credit window. Then you can test the switches to be sure the CPU "sees" them when they close. Check for switches that the CPU assigns a wrong number to them too, this can lock up your CPU and mean you have a IC short in your switch matrix.
Steve
System 80, not just a job, it's an adventure.

Okay. Well I tried the easy parts first. Took all the balls out - targets are up. Turned on machine. Boots to attract mode. No number 99. Where does that put me? Thank you SO much for the reply! Hope to have this baby running ASAP!

#757 8 years ago

Ok. One more thing. When I reboot it comes up with the number 24 in the credit window. Is this significant? I'm a noob . . .

Quoted from blownfuse:

You need to go into the audits using the switch on the inside of the coin door and into test 18, this is the switch matrix test. If you have it set up correctly, you should see a "99" in the credit window after you go into that test. If a bunch of numbers come up other than 99, write them down and report back here with the list.
Steve
System 80, not just a job, it's an adventure

#759 8 years ago

Ok. Did the test on the 18. I assume I did this correctly. I toggled to 18 then hit the play button. I got these numbers: 51, 60 & then it stays on 70.

#761 8 years ago

Put the drop targets all up. Ran test again. 99!

#763 8 years ago

After the fist test 06 shows up

#766 8 years ago

Steve! You are the MAN! thank you so much! I'll start working on this list.

#773 8 years ago

Hi Guys,

After talking with Steve last night and going over his steps we hit a small snag. I had no way to test a fuse due to my meter not working . . . Then, Slim64 mentioned that he put a few fuses in the coin box. 2.5 slow blows.

Steve had tracked the issue down to the #15 fuse earlier. So, after looking here (http://stevekulpa.net/pinball/bh_fuses.htm) to determine the type of fuse needed I pulled out the #15 fuse. It was a 2.5 slow now. Now, Steves page shows that it needs only a 1 amp slow blow. Throwing caution to the wind I put a new 2.5 into #15. Big! Kickoff hole now working.

But, now we have blown fuses on F12: 2-1/2 Amp slow-blow, Upper Center Pop Bumper and
F13: 2-1/2 Amp slow-blow, Lower Center Pop Bumper.

We played BH for a short time without the pop bumpers but by then it was late in the AM hours.

That is where we are at. I will try and get to the store today and pick up some more fuses. Do it best hardware has a great fuse selection. If they don't have what I need I will have to order some.

Question A: Did putting in the 2.5 into #15 cause the pop bumpers F12 & F13 to blow?

Question B: What is causing 15 to blow?

You know what they say. If it ain't broke. It ain't pinball…

Thank you again for all of the help guys!

#775 8 years ago

It's just strange because the pops worked before. Only the ball kick didn't work.

#777 8 years ago

After a quick trip down to the Do It Best hardware store. The Black Hole is alive and play great! Hope it lasts. Thank you Blownfuse for all of the help.

You were right from the get-go. Blown #15.

Thank you Slim64 for an amazing game!

IMG_1360.jpgIMG_1360.jpg

#779 8 years ago

Hold on . . . The pop bumpers have blown the two 2.5 Slow blows again. I must admit I used another 2.5 in the #15 (should be a 1 amp)

Thoughts?

#784 8 years ago

Ok. So that would mean taking a pop bumper board from one of the working pops in the machine and puting it in a non working pop bumper. Yes? That's why I would mark the initial "faulty Pop board" . . . yes?

The logic being that if the other (new) pop board that I know was not blowing fuses does not blow fuses in the new pop number. The it must be the coils.

Correct?

#789 8 years ago

Sounds like a plan. How do I determine which boards go to witch pops? It may sound like a sill question but the are not directly next to any pops.

Thank you guys!!

#790 8 years ago

Witch . . . . lol

#793 8 years ago

Ok. Getting late. Must sleep. To be continued.

I will check and able the boards tomorrow.

Thank you again.

O

#795 8 years ago

Is there a better way of telling which boards go to what pop number? My eyes are not what they used to be. A schematic should tell you what boards go to what pop number? yes? Or should I just reflow all four boards? I really don't want to mess with the two that are working. It's the bottom and the center that are blowing the fuses.

Quoted from Slim64:

They were pulled from a 80b parts machine I had. I don't recall if I had checked the header pins, so that's my bad.
Onion: The boards can be ID'd by looking at the wiring colors (if I remember correctly) of the activation switch at the pop to the connection.

#796 8 years ago

Ok. I have one of the boards out. Is this board actually updated? It looks different than the updated board on pinwiki. Mainly they have a jumper wire and mine has a diode. Among other differences. Do I need to do these mods like pinkie states or are my boards ok and just may need a reflow. See pics.

IMG_1361.jpgIMG_1361.jpg

800px-Gottlieb-ModifiedPBDBPartsExplanation.jpg800px-Gottlieb-ModifiedPBDBPartsExplanation.jpg

#799 8 years ago

New boards ordered and on the way thanks to Slim64. What a stand-up guy. Very, very happy.

#813 8 years ago

Now that the machine is up and running without any hi-ups. New high score!

IMG_1382.jpgIMG_1382.jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

Machine - For Sale
Ottawa, ON
$ 83.00
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider onion.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/black-hole-club-members-only?tu=onion and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.