PXL_20240103_220434164.jpg
IMG_5107 (resized).jpeg
PXL_20231029_054015295 (resized).jpg
PXL_20231029_053936841 (resized).jpg
PXL_20231029_053945558 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

6 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1614 How to light up the tube Posted by Mudflaps (5 years ago)

Post #1618 Example photo for a lit tube Posted by Mudflaps (5 years ago)

Post #1628 Example photo for a lit tube Posted by gweempose (5 years ago)

Post #3035 Example for using Ice blue LEDs Posted by Crimcyan (9 months ago)

Post #3157 Adding a potentiometer to the aux lamp driver board for chase lights Posted by Redfive05 (7 months ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider gerry.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#7 10 years ago
Quoted from RCA1:

First!
"NO ONE ESCAPES THE BLACK HOLE"

You can always escape the Black Hole, you just need a pricey divorce attorney..

#9 10 years ago

Why did that just give me WOOD ? !

#33 10 years ago
Quoted from tjsynkral:

The annoying gate is the re-entry gate. Most of my history with BH is in Pinball Arcade, where the gate only opens when the machine opens it. I played BH in real life and discovered this nasty surprise.
I wonder if there is supposed to be more spring tension there maybe?

Nope no more tension, it is meant to divert the ball when you earn your drops down below, but NOT meant to keep your ball in the inlane for a trap on the right upper flipper...

It is designed to hose you, and let the ball pass to the outlane on and agressivley moving trap...

That is one of the many hells of BH..

#38 10 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

I bent that "W" shape into it so that it catches the ball and stops it from slamming into the glass when it shoots up the tube. i'd be interested to see what you guys have in that spot.

bh ball gate 2.jpgbh ball gate 2.jpgbh ball gate.jpgbh ball gate.jpg

#39 10 years ago

Its really not meant to bat the ball down to the PF as it exits the tube, its to keep the ball from bouncing off the return lane gate and getting stuck between the PF and the tube, and just sitting there...

Mine pictured works perfect, and i guess it does have some slight effect on the ball coming out of the tube, cause the ball hits it, but for the most part i think the effect is little to none...

// Error: Image 177891 not found // // Error: Image 177892 not found //
#41 10 years ago

i think it was the tube rubbing on it for years from being out of adjustment, the ball comes nowhere near the PF as it sits..

#47 10 years ago

I adjust all my gottliebs to line up with the inlane guides, i dont like the way some Gotts look droopy..

It has not affected any gameplay at all, and make drop catches a bit easier as well, still not a gimmie, but a bit better..

I also adjusted the lower bats on my BH too...

I think it has made the multiplier shot down there a bit harder, as well as the capture shot...

more challenge = more fun.. both shots are still makable though, they are not impossible..

#51 10 years ago
Quoted from erichill:

Some games are designed to have their bats aligned otherwise. I'll take droopy over not hitting shots any day!

Theres not a shot i cant hit on any of my SYS80, with the bats lined up to the inlane guides, that was kinda my point, and trapping is a bit easier as well....

I have has B/W's games come in with the bats hanging down, or misadjusted by previous wanna be pin mechanics..

all bats should have a smooth transtion from the guides IMO...

#55 10 years ago

There is no end of ball bonus if you drain from the upper PF..actually there is NO bonus at all actually from the upper PF after a drain...

The only bonus scoring available comes from the lower PF..

Now if you complete all of the drops in order (BLACK) and (HOLE) in the Upper PF,you light the G-Force accelerators, the first one lit is double scoring, and the second lit for completing a second bank of targets, is triple scoring.. meaning each switch scores accordingly to the G-force that is lit... ie. double scoring or triple scoring from each switch hit..

completeing the upper 3 rollovers will give you 2x,3x, and so on, but if you drain up top it awards nothing other than the points scored during regular play / earned before you drain... ( as single switch scores)

Say you light 3X by finishing the upper rollovers twice, then go to the basement..without either G-Force lit..what ever you score, will be multiplied by 3x accordingly... if both G-forces are lit (trplie scoring) for each switch hit on the lower your bonus builds thre times quicker, and then at bonus countdown that is multiplied by your X factor...

you can add to or accumulate 2x, 3x, etc by shooting the advanced multiplyer loop on the lower PF too.. untill you max out at 5x...

The key is, if you can, take what ever x multiliers you can, and complete the Black and hole banks to light the 2 G-forces up top,.. then go to the lower, and concentrate on dropping the white 3 bank of drops right away, to ensure re-entry, then hammer away at points to build bonus, and or till you lock down there, rinse and repeat...

During MB, i dont worry much about the upper ball at all, i just try to keep the lower 2 going, as long as possible, cause the upper doesnt kick out till you drain down below, once all 3 are up top, its drop target fest as much as you can, once drained to 1 balls then try for the lower again, to rack up the triple G-Force as much as possible...

very fun, and it takes quite a bit of set up to get all this where you want to get a good score...

Devils Dare requires alot of set up as well to get it all working together for a maximum scoring opprotunity...

BH, and DD, both are like stacking rules rather than stacking modes.. but it is the same premis..

wicked addicting

Hope this wansn't too redundant.. but thats it..

#57 10 years ago

Pez is on !... It took me a bit to figure out how i was lighting the lock up top, i thought for a while it was completeing the BH drops in order twice or something of that nature...

When i figured it out it was then there was even more tactical planing in the game...

#58 10 years ago

Really, there is alot to do on BH, to get a real good score... Lots to staging and getting ready type stuff..

It's all very hard to accomplish at times, being it's a game that can give you a speed of light drain at any given moment, SDTM or down the left outlane...

I'm there playing away, and the next second ...bang, ball gone!

#60 10 years ago

Yeah, but your a dick ! So !

#62 10 years ago

My current score 796,120, and that was with the glass off, trying to fix a switch... LOL

#64 10 years ago
Quoted from mof:

Pssh, I've already gotten that on my machine, only I don't have that meaningless 3 on the left there to distract me...-mof

LOL

#66 10 years ago
Quoted from woz:

Another reason to get the upper right standup targets is that they light the lower yellow drop targets for 3000 (3 Ball). Now if you have both gforce lamps lit (for 3x scoring) lit and 5x multiplier lit each yellow drop target is worth 3000 x 3 x 5 = 45,000
My gameplay strategy is this:
Get at least one gforce lit on lower pf by completing either upper drop target bank.Complete all four (or at least 3) yellow standups to light lower yellow dropsAvoid going to lower pf until the above two tasks have been completed as the bonus you earn will be minimal.When you do get to the lower pf, complete 3 bank ASAP to open return gate at tube.Whack away at the yellow drops and increase bonus multiplier by completing lower loop.
I don't usually try and setup for multiball but when I do get it it really can be an amazing pinball experience. I can get into an almost zen like state looking through pf window not really focusing on any ball in particular just trying to react to action on top and bottom pfs simultaneously. You'll understand when you get there....

Nice, i didnt know tht the 4 yellow stand ups up top lit the yellow drops down under for that kind of scoring, i have been just kinda winging it to figuring out how the scoring works.. Very cool, now i have a new set of goals.

Thanks for the info !

#70 10 years ago
Quoted from mof:

1. 3-ball or 5-ball?2. are there settings for making the "special" reward a free ball?
-mof

3 or 5 ball

dip switch 20 to off= normal game mode... and so switch 21 is not over ridden

dip 21 on = extra ball for special, and off = replay

#71 10 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

mine is set to five ... i keep meaning to set it to three but forget.
for the upper playfield special, yes. for the lower playfield special, i don't think so.

in the manual it does not differentiate between upper special, and lower spec.

#79 10 years ago

My Force II is in dire need of 7 digits...

I think tht is gonna be the first one i attempt doing...

I think at some point i will do them all, we will see..

Thanks for sharing that with all of us Steve...

1 week later
#99 10 years ago

The center pop is evil, as is the diverter gate on a fast moving trap...

i hate losing the ball down below with only one drop to go...

#101 10 years ago
Quoted from Gerry:

The funny thing about all this magnitized bracket stuff is, that BH is the ONLY SYS80-80B i have ever had a sticky pop bumper on...
I was able to disassemble rebuild,and reassemble making sure everything is lined up and working smoothly to solve the problems..
the lowe center pop in the upper PF had the wrong bracket on it... the mounting positon for the coil itself was off center, thus making the plunger assembly bind...

My game was in a basket when the guy i bought it from got it..

he had piles of blown out spare PF's aroung from other gottlieb titles, and apparently used the incorrect bracket...

visually it looked the same when in the game but when pulled it became obvious it was wrong...
swapped out with the right one, and bang problem solved...

#122 10 years ago

Filing or grinding a bit off the end of the coil stop, and gluing a very thin rubber pad, or something along those lines would also shield the plunger and stop from each other.

I have seen plungers from other manufacturers, that have a nylon tip on the end of the plunger ans well...

if you have some nylon around, you could trim the stop to half its original height, and top it with nylon for that matter, problem solved..

There are definatley ways around this problem...

3 weeks later
#138 10 years ago

Dude, count me in on this whole tourney thing on the Black hole..

I am DOWN and ready to rumbleeeeeeeeeeeee.........................

#141 10 years ago

I was gonna say 3 ball.... . It is a solid state

#157 10 years ago

As much fun as this will be, my BH just turned into a work bench for Hurdy gurdy, then i will have to pull it out from its spot to change it to 5 ball.. i just cant do that right now, but looking forward to seeing the results...

Blownfuse will win hands down, he constantly rolls that game over... LOL

He's a Black Hole shark..

#164 10 years ago
Quoted from CNKay:

Make sure to use big towel at least on glass. I just recently put large scratch on new glass as I placed my portable soldering station "setup" made from magazine rack on the machine and it slid down the glass. Made large 8" or so scratch that is pretty deep. I will go out of my way now not to use as workbench.

Done, before i started...

i always do that..

1 week later
#176 10 years ago
Quoted from CNKay:

I just mentioned it in last order. Funny about a week ago he had em and i just dragged feet a little bit. Send me the parts Ed I'll put it together myself.

CNKay, i will pay ya to come do my conversion...

cause i am getting burned out, working on these shitboxes.. LOL

#178 10 years ago

we can turn it into a multi weekend project.. LOL

#192 10 years ago

That was alot of fun to watch... very cool !

1 week later
#204 10 years ago

My MGOW is nasty !

Volcano can be a dirty Bast#$D too..

if your talking about sys 80's anyway...

There are alot of difficult games out there, but not alot of them are harder in that time period than BH...

1 week later
#229 10 years ago

Add another 9 and ya got somethin !

2 weeks later
#246 10 years ago

It really is a fun, and fast game...

#252 10 years ago

Steve has the answers for everything....

If its SYS80 he has been there and fixed that..

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider gerry.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/black-hole-club-members-only?tu=gerry and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.