PXL_20240103_220434164.jpg
IMG_5107 (resized).jpeg
PXL_20231029_054015295 (resized).jpg
PXL_20231029_053936841 (resized).jpg
PXL_20231029_053945558 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

6 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1614 How to light up the tube Posted by Mudflaps (5 years ago)

Post #1618 Example photo for a lit tube Posted by Mudflaps (5 years ago)

Post #1628 Example photo for a lit tube Posted by gweempose (5 years ago)

Post #3035 Example for using Ice blue LEDs Posted by Crimcyan (10 months ago)

Post #3157 Adding a potentiometer to the aux lamp driver board for chase lights Posted by Redfive05 (7 months ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider frenchmarky.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1934 3 years ago

Here's my BH, had it since the late 90s I think. Only game I've owned where I decided that 2X-bright warm white LEDs 'worked' for the GI because the pf, plastics and bg are so dark. Plus on this game none of the pf GI bulbs are visibly exposed from the player's perspective. I stuck with the regular flasher bulbs behind the disc, the bg chaser 44s and of course the higher-voltage GI lamps that light up the lower pf from above. And blue LEDs under the blue inserts and some colored ones behind the backglass 'Gottlieb' and the planets. Added one GI socket by the right lower flipper, just seemed like there should've been one there.
There's is simply NOTHING like playing three balls on two playfields, one which is below the other *and* upside down, a truly one-of-a-kind pinball experience. You almost need an extra set of eyeballs

106361898_318312329328208_2967423390904807021_n (resized).jpg106361898_318312329328208_2967423390904807021_n (resized).jpg

#1935 3 years ago

... also a couple of other small lighting mods I forgot about - 1. added wired a top-side GI socket under the astronaut plastic by the exit tube, it looks much better than factory where only the bottom half of him is lit up. 2. I cut out some some small cardboard discs, punched a small hole in the middle and slid them over the white 2X/3X/4X/5X bonus 44s, pushed the sockets back into position and slid the discs up the lamps and all the way up against the playfield, and added three white discs to the three hi-voltage lower pf GI lamp sockets that are there so they mainly shine downward. This keeps the bonus lamps from getting all that yucky stray light when the lower pf is active, those blaringly bright GI lamps can practically make them appear lit when they aren't.

#1937 3 years ago
Quoted from frenchmarky:

... I cut out some some small cardboard discs, punched a small hole in the middle and slid them over the white 2X/3X/4X/5X bonus 44s...... This keeps the bonus lamps from getting all that yucky stray light when the lower pf is active

Note, my pic up there is before I did that mod, so you can see how cruddy those 'unlit' bonus X inserts look without remedying the stray light.

#1939 3 years ago
Quoted from topkat:

The upper most right flipper has connections to some type of transistor.
Does the power go through that component? That is the only flipper (or mech) that doesn’t work. I rebuilt them all, but missed something on that one
Thanks

Looking at my playfield underside in raised position, a red/white wire on the upper right flipper's leftmost flipper lug is connected to the metal frame of the power transistor above it which is for powering some other pf coil, but those transistors are not involved in powering the flippers.
107107279_3251228911621348_5788038916088882976_n (resized).jpg107107279_3251228911621348_5788038916088882976_n (resized).jpg

#1942 3 years ago

No, not even if you cut that wire. Make sure your wiring is correct to the flipper coil, that the diode is good and you don't have an open winding in the coil.

2 weeks later
#1949 3 years ago
Quoted from topkat:

Flipper issue solved. It was the eos switch..
I had rebuilt all the pops, and now 2 of them the rod stops half up after it pops. If another coil fires the vibration causes it to go back up. I turned off the power when it happened as well and it doesn’t make a difference so guessing it’s not an electrical issue. Could it be when I put the coil and plunger back together the angle it sits in the mech isn’t right and that’s causing resistance.

Are you sure they aren't getting stuck basically all the way down and it may only appear they are partially down? If it's the former, I had the problem of them getting stuck down from residual magnetism and fixed it with several layers of adhesive copper foil stuck onto the coil stops where the plungers hit but people have used other things glued to the stop like a non-magnetic washer or slug, or you can buy new pop bumper frames.r I supposed drill out the old stops and put new ones that are for pop bumper applications and that bolt on but not sure that would guarantee a fix since the whole frame can have residual magnetism.

2 weeks later
#1961 3 years ago
Quoted from topkat:

Anyone have advice for adjusting a pop spoon that has one dead spot. I replaced the spoon/switch, moved it back and forth under the skirt, bent the leafs, and I still have one spot that wont activate consistently. When I watch the the spoon and move the skirt by hand, every direction but one causes the leafs to make good contact.
Do you ever want to bend the spoon itself?

If you replaced the spoon I wouldn't think you should need to, but shouldn't be a big deal to slightly tweak it so you get it to register evenly between the registering side and the non-registering side. Before that though, make sure you have the right switch gap, that the the pivot on the skirt is exactly centered on the spoon where if you press up on the spoon you see no movement of the pivot and that the indeed the spoon is slightly pressing up on the pivot at rest and not just floating under it.

#1963 3 years ago
Quoted from topkat:

I get the same issue with the old switch as the new. Must have spent 4 hours tweaking it. It looks to be in the center of the spoon, but when I move the skirt I can see it easily

It's centered if you pull down on the spoon, then release it or even push upward on it, and you don't see the skirt pivot move.

4 months later
#2002 3 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

Well; if you decide to give it a shot; I now sell translucent pointed skirts. Having said that; I'm not sure point skirts would help ... but there has to be a reason someone created it.

The ones with the point are to help prevent a ball from getting hung up on the top of the skirt and needing to be nudged loose. Your test without the spoon even being there sounds like there must be something physically wrong with the skirt or how the pop bumper unit was assembled or something is misaligned, if was me I would pull the whole pop bumper assembly out (the parts above the pf) and check the parts.

#2003 3 years ago
Quoted from frenchmarky:

The ones with the point are to help prevent a ball from getting hung up on the top of the skirt and needing to be nudged loose. Your test without the spoon even being there sounds like there must be something physically wrong with the skirt or how the pop bumper unit was assembled or something is misaligned or there's some crud stuck in there, if was me I would pull the whole pop bumper assembly out (the parts above the pf) and check the parts.

1 month later
#2030 3 years ago
Quoted from REGNE:

Could be 5101 RAM on PCB. or it's socket connection issues.
Also, maybe need to re-pin connector and check/reflow solder at backside of display.

I'd also shine up that display board's male connector pads with a fine scrubber pad and then wipe clean with alcohol-dampened cloth. Same with the board connector pads on CPU board J2 and J3 (two connectors on right side) which are involved with the display data.

#2031 3 years ago

Guess I gotta be a little more careful when trying to pull a sticky dirty worn-out sleeve out of a flipper coil. First time for everything. C-C-CRACK!

141670169_1841714435983837_6780158749633686240_n (resized).jpg141670169_1841714435983837_6780158749633686240_n (resized).jpg
#2033 3 years ago
Quoted from Mad_Dog_Coin_Op:

I wouldn't be that upset. It if was that stuck the coil was likely shot anyway.

I think the old coil was okay, after I cut it out I was able to pull the sleeve out. Happened so quick I'm not sure but I must've slipped while I was pulling on the sleeve and it jerked the coil breaking off the whole set of lugs. Put a new coil in yesterday and all is good.

#2038 3 years ago

Which mod? I've seen one that makes it spin only when game is playing, another that only has it spin when ball is on lower playfield.

#2039 3 years ago
Quoted from Bumper:

Yes, it is probably that, but I cannot find in the manual how to change that. I am new with Gottlieb machines from this period.

Press the self test button on inside of door while in attract mode, your three replay levels and HSTD can be set there, credit button will reset each to zero and holding the button will increment it to what you wish.

qwerqwsdfsdfserqert (resized).jpgqwerqwsdfsdfserqert (resized).jpg
2 weeks later
#2047 3 years ago
Quoted from RGarriott:

Also does the tub kick coil fire in either of the coil tests?

The solenoid test does not fire the tube kicker, the manual says it is assigned as solenoid #9 in the test but it's incorrect, #9 is the outhole kicker.

1 week later
#2052 3 years ago

What coil # do you have installed in the upkicker? What ohms does it measure now?

Original coil was gtb a-4893, 22 gauge, 535 turns.
Substitutable is Gtb A-1496 23 gauge, 635 turns, a little bit weaker.
Mine has a Williams G23-600, kick never fails.

Make sure the two little strips are still on the tube that the ball rides along as it is shot, and that ball is not hitting the edge of the tube because of the tube being misaligned.

#2055 3 years ago
Quoted from RGarriott:

A-16570 @ 15 ohms. Pretty sure my manual says this is the correct coil for the tube kicker.
Tabs a on the tube and the mech has smooth operation.

The manual list is a bit ambiguous. A-16570 is specified for 'outhole' and 'hole kicker', i.e. one of the two ball lock holes, not the upkicker.

A-4893 listed as 'ball kicker' is for the upkicker (one that makes most sense in the list anyway and is what everyone seems to use, or they substitute the similar a-1496 which is slightly weaker (it's used for the kicking rubbers), so either of those two would be the ones to use. The a-16570 coils in the lock hole kicker and the outhole would likely be pretty whimpy if used for the upkicker, a-16570 is 15 ohms, a-4893 is only 2.

My Williams coil G-23-600 is similar to the 4893/1496 and it has never failed once in getting the ball up there with ease.

#2057 3 years ago

If you decide to stick with the factory design and a-4893 coil, Piniwiki says a 2.5 amp fuse should be used in that case too, same as used on the pop bumpers. I'd better check mine, probably still has the original 6A one in there.

#2063 3 years ago
Quoted from majorrager:

I'm having a problem with my ball trough gate coil. It is buzzing and seems locked on, but without enough power to pull in the plunger. When the plunger is manually pushed in, it stays in. I have done all mods for the game, and so far have put a new fuse, coil/diode, and transistor that the coil is connected to. I tested the other upper playfield transistor with my DMM and it appeared fine as well. I found the schematics online, but honestly I'm pretty terrible with them and need to be pointed in the right direction for what to test next. Everything else in the game works as it should. Problem started after wires came off one lug of upper right flipper coil and I resoldered them back on. I found someone in this thread five years ago with the same thing which they said was a bad 7404 chip, but not which one.

You mean the lower playfield trough gate, right? What is the 'other upper pf transistor' you were checking? What transistor part nbr. did you replace the one under the lower playfield with?

1 week later
#2070 3 years ago
Quoted from sly:

2- the game does not retain any highscore and I don't know how to display them !!!!

Also look at the settings chart in the cabinet lightbox, shows how to turn high score display on and off with the dip switches, in case yours happens to be turned off.

#2076 3 years ago
Quoted from goingincirclez:

With further research, it seems like "no backbox GI" might indeed be normal with a no-boot scenario? So maybe that's my only problem after all.

All the GI in the backbox should light immediately upon power on including the chaser lights so I don't think that has anything to do with it not booting.

#2080 3 years ago

Hmm. That was my initial suspicion too, but in looking thru threads related to System 80's not botting, "playfield only gi and/or no displays" seems to be mentioned a few times.

They just mean that only the GI (pf and backbox) lights will come on with no boot but the pf feature lights won't.

#2084 3 years ago

I always raise mine all the way up too. I can reach the flippers and stuff way up there without standing on anything but it does make my arms mighty tired.

#2088 3 years ago

<<Need help with up kicker coil not working on my black hole>>

When you do the auto burn-in test (advance to step #16 on credit display, then press credit button) and it starts repeatedly activating all the coils, does the tube kicker fire too? The solenoid test won't fire it but the burn-in test does. If it fires then that at least indicates it may be switch related. If it don't, it probably ain't.

#2090 3 years ago

So do you know what the cause was for the two different times that the coil got fried? Just locking on because of a grounding issue?

#2092 3 years ago
Quoted from BrewNinja:

I know for me, of all the times Ive had issues with the VUK, it was the under playfield transistor

Given that he said its predriver Q15 is working, that seems logical. Except I don't quite understand the part about knowing it was working because it was "engaging sw. 15"? That's the outhole(?) Can you give more detail on exactly how your test showed that Q15 is working?

#2098 3 years ago
Quoted from Ody1:

I manually grounded Q15, which sorry for the confusion I should have said it fires the out hole coil when this is done.

I assume you mean the tube kicker, because if it's the actual 'out hole' coil, that definitely ain't right.

#2100 3 years ago

Both Black Hole and Haunted House should’ve had 7 digit displays.

BH is very tough for me but then I'm not that great of a player to begin with. I have rarely rolled it over on 5 ball in 20 years even while earning multiple extra balls. Pretty sure I've never rolled it twice. So for me the 6 digits is 'right', similar to a typical EM where I can roll it over once in a while but not regularly. The drawback is it only saves 6 digit HSTD so rolled over scores are not saved at all.

#2103 3 years ago
Quoted from Ody1:

It may have been a grounding issue. I can’t get the coil to engage at all anymore, the 3rd coil. With the second coil that fried I changed the playfield transistor and only did the minimum change for the wiring harness that connects the cpu to the driver board. After that I did all the ground mods in the back box, repinned all the bifurcated connectors between the cpu to driver board, and changed f17 to a 2.5 amp sb. On the second, it fired correctly one time and then the second time it fired it locked on.

In solenoid test, is outhole coil activating for test coil assignment #9? Outhole works correctly during game play?
If you ground Q15 (tube kicker) and it fires the outhole, are you sure you didn't make a wire mix up somewhere like on the A3J3 connector regarding Q14 (outhole) and Q15 (tube kicker)? And sure you were grounding Q15, not 14?

162016885_296300238518847_1341951534587759437_n (resized).jpg162016885_296300238518847_1341951534587759437_n (resized).jpg
#2108 3 years ago
Quoted from Ody1:

I have a Ni-wumpf driver board, which I tested what is labeled Q15 and it is triggering the coil show below and not the tube kicker. When the 1st tube kicker coil fried this coil also stuck on but still seems to be working good so I didn't replace it.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Okay so the coil shown in your pic is the upper playfield trough 'ball release' or 'cardholder ball gate', not the outhole. It is also adjacent to the tube kicker pin on A3J3 (pins 22 & 23) so could possibly still be a wire mix-up there or elsewhere.

161638491_443357683412501_1663040519126397988_n (resized).jpg161638491_443357683412501_1663040519126397988_n (resized).jpg
#2111 3 years ago

>I put one of the old 2n3791 that I had replaced at one of the other under playfield transistor locations with a MJ2933 that was still working fine in for the tube kicker coil and it is working like a champ>

Still weird about the upper ball release firing in the testing. Well at least it works now. Seen folks in here having a lot of trouble with those pf-mounted driver transistors blowing even right after they replaced them.

#2113 3 years ago

Fortunately I've never had any of those transistors go bad and I've had this game since the 1990s. And I didn't even add the 4.7K pullup resistors to two of the three on the lower playfield until last week. But I did the basic board grounding mods soon after I got the game so none of the transistors/coils has ever gotten locked on and toasted.
Only time I notice a coil may lock up on me is in the solenoid test or the burn-in test. Any coil that was firing at the moment I exit the test might stay locked on and I have to shut the game off and on again. But I'm thinking this is an oversight in the diagnostic code. Don't know for certain.

#2127 3 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

The pop bumper driver boards might need to be rebuilt or the mods applied. Pop coil stops or plungers can get magnetized too.

Could try switching pop boards with each other to see if the fuse blowing moves somewhere else, then that would indicate it's the board. Also check the ohms on the pop coils to be sure none have an internal short. Might want to replace the diodes on any pop coils that are causing fuse blows too since they are only a few cents, they can look okay but still be bad.

The pops magnetized the stops as well as the entire pop bumper frame on my BH. I fixed it with 3 or 4 layers of thick adhesive copper tape (used for fixing circuit board traces etc.) on the end of the coil stops and trimming around them, checked one months later and the copper was holding up to the pounding just fine. Or you can form a U-shaped piece of thicker copper sheet metal around the stop.

#2130 3 years ago

Maybe this is a GTB thing, but it seems like the pop-bumper skirt stake rests a bit "deep" in the switch spoon. In other words, it seems like there's a lot of resistance there compared to all the other games I've worked on - a feather touch gets those going but on this game it seems to need a bit more "oomph" to press the switch - and the resistance to reset is similar (might hold the switch in). The switch stacks are all tight and seem original, and the spoon leaves are all level and straight (not bent), so I'm not inclined to think there's much adjustment here - yet it seems "wrong" to me. Is this just a GTB quirk?

If the spoon is pressing too hard on the stake, why not just adjust the blade a little for lighter pressure? It's going to look the same and just as straight afterwards, it just won't be putting excess pressure on the stake. Somebody could have overadjusted them in the past too.

#2132 3 years ago

It just seemed odd to me that they are ALL that way, apparently from the factory... so I wasn't sure if "extra pressure" was the intent and/or I was perceiving a problem where there isn't any. But yeah, I think for my own preference if nothing else, I'll put a slight dogleg kind in each spoon blade to lower it while maintaining its level.

It's not an issue of lowering it really, just tweaking it so it isn't putting excess pressure on the stem of the skirt, adjusted closest to the switch stack, just like any other switch blade. Adjust as light as possible where the stem touches and bottoms out in the center of the spoon. Also adjusting the switch mount in all directions in respect to the stem if it needs it (by loosening the two screws that attach the switch mount to the playfield) is important so the spoon and stem are centered to begin with and you get even switch closure from the ball at any point around the skirt.

#2137 3 years ago

Adjust so the actuated switch blade puts very little pressure on the relay armature at rest, and adjust the outer switch blade that lights the insert lamp with a decent gap. You want the least amount of spring load on the armature that you can get away with. Or could try a little bit weaker spring on the relay.

#2140 3 years ago

I finally did the 'disable the lower gate clicking in attract mode' mod today, pretty easy plus I had plenty of scrapped Gtb EM relays around here to pull the required extra relay switch from. I'm not doing any spinning disc motor mods though since I'd already put in a new motor and I love it running in attract mode, and compared to the 'on' time the game had in the arcades, home use 'on' time is practically nothing. It's a pure player-drawing attract feature and would just look wrong to me only working when a game is in progress and not running in attract.

#2142 3 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

I thought about disabling the gate but I'm paranoid and if I don't hear it clicking in attract, I assume the game has locked up.

The other relay that turns the lower playfield GI on and off in attract still clicks though, not as loud as the gate but you can still hear it. If you took the rubber bushings off the relay and mounted it directly to the pf it would be a little louder still. And/or can set the attract speech for every 10 seconds but it kinda gets on my nerves especially with the volume on high so I have it set to every 4 minutes.

#2149 3 years ago

Another weird thing during the display test, is the characters walk across the P2 display before P1. But in gameplay, the proper displays are the ones that function. Maybe this is normal but it seems "backwards".

That is normal, display test digit will begin running across pl 2 and pl 4 first. Have you tried reseating the two connectors on the right side of the MPU (control) board? That's where the display data comes from for the displays. As with the displays, only do this with the game powered off. Though if that was it I'd think you'd get something more than all zeroes.

1 week later
#2166 3 years ago

That is the slam switch. Jumper it closed and things should work. I see this is your first Gottlieb. If this were a Bally that switch would be open. Gottlieb did the exact opposite a lot of the time.

If the display zeroes are also doing a horrible fast strobing it definitely sounds like the slam switch. If they are solidly lit, could be something else.

#2167 3 years ago
Quoted from matt_adams:

You know those "weird place your ball got stuck" threads you can't be bothered to post in......never had this happen to any machine before!

I love that one because it's the only place that could happen. And you couldn't recreate it manually even if you tried, it would simply have to happen... and it almost never would. Never happened on mine in 20+ years.

#2171 3 years ago

Here's how mine is set with speech enabled and background sound 'on'. Sw 1,2,7 & 8 should be off. 3 & 4 are for different time interval for attract speech, off/off disables it. 5 is background enabled, 6 is all speech enabled.

176168478_220514063207893_482200177179092304_n (resized).jpg176168478_220514063207893_482200177179092304_n (resized).jpg
1 week later
#2184 2 years ago

So even when game is stone-ass cold, powering up and immediately running the solenoid test doesn't do anything goofy when the target bank(s) fire?

When you turn it on cold does the 'coin up' sound work, and the 'start' sound works when you start a game (before it resets to attract mode)?

#2186 2 years ago
Quoted from Timmo:

Yep. Stone-ass cold the solenoid test completes as expected. Wait the 60 seconds for the game to recycle into attract mode and insert a coin, and the 'coin up' sound works. Press the start button, and the 'start' sound works....and then the game resets right before firing solenoid 2.

Are your power supply board voltages all excellent?
Maybe one of the two lower playfield banks are involved? Each fires at what looks to be in perfect unison with one of the two banks on top when game is started. Diagonally... 5 bank resets at same time as 3 bank below, and the 4 above with the four below. Perhaps whatever it is is only showing up with the power draw from two banks firing simultaneously which happens at game start but not in the solenoid test. And doesn't show up when you disconnect the 5 bank first because of the reduced draw during game start reset(?) Maybe the 3 bank or its circuit has an issue. And maybe the speech board disconnected is reducing the power drain just enough to let the cold game start 'get away with it' for those first 5 minutes. I mean the whole thing seems to be just on the borderline till it warms up a little bit. I dunno, I'm just throwing something out to see if it sticks.

#2189 2 years ago
Quoted from Timmo:

I didn't replace the regulator chip. If I freeze this chip after the game warms up I can re-introduce the problem. So I'm going to order a new chip and I'll let you know how it goes.

Yay! That's gotta be it.

#2196 2 years ago
Quoted from Bospins:

Boots up but won’t start a game with the coin door button. It’s set to free play.

So it goes into attract mode after power up?

Does coining up with the coin switches work? Then will it start a game? If not, does the credit button register? Start diagnostic test with the inner door button, then press the credit button - that should advance the diag test display # to '16', showing that button is at least registering.

#2210 2 years ago

As per the Pinwiki recommendation that the tube upkicker 6 & 1/4 fuse be changed to 2 & 1/2, I made that change a couple of weeks ago and today it blew. Though I do have a Williams coil in mine that by the coil windings is only slightly more powerful than the original Gtb one, I've never had any issue with the kicker before in 20 years. Have never even blown any fuse in the game before. So just a note that 2 1/2 might be borderline if using the original coil or little bit stronger one. On the copy of the schematics I downloaded, whoever had scribbled things on it here and there seemed like perhaps they had the same issue. Original '6 1/4' is crossed out and they wrote '2 1/2', then crossed that out and made it '5'. I've replaced the blown one with a 4 amp to split the difference. I didn't have any 3 amp fuses but maybe one of those would "make it".

Perhaps it is related to which under-pf driver transistor is installed. Gottlieb recommended changing 2N5875s to 2N5879s for early-run BHs but with no explanation. All three of my under pf transistors are MJ15016s and my serial number is within their range where it would have the 2N5875s. But I've never had to replace any of them and can't really find what the equivalency is between the 2Ns and the MJ.

183243055_477361359982264_4319987891811559207_n (resized).png183243055_477361359982264_4319987891811559207_n (resized).png

#2214 2 years ago

It was originally built with white rings made out of regular rubber so that's what I put on mine. I'm weird that way.

#2220 2 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

I've seen someone who hooked up blue and red lights to shine along the tube and illuminate it, tied on to the gate relay so it'd be red if you were gonna drain

I've seen the lit tubes before but never heard about having it change colors for status, good idea. But I'd go with green and red. Does the light have to shine into the edge of the bottom of the tube for it to work?

#2222 2 years ago

You could just add the lamp wires for the two colored LEDs to the switch lugs on the gate relay as mentioned, it already alternates the two yellow arrow lamps down there. I'm thinking you might need to mount the two LEDs on the lower playfield to point at the bottom of the tube for the fiberoptic effect, but maybe just mounting the LEDs under the main playfield close by the gate there at a high angle towards the top of the tube might work? If it did it would save running the long wires down below.

#2226 2 years ago
Quoted from radial_head:

I would avoid doing any color rubbers. The orange ones that most people install looks cheesy as all get out

If there was a poll for "What color looks the most ridiculous and out of place on Black Hole?" I would definitely vote for Cheetos Orange. If I put those on my game the MPU board would try to commit suicide.

#2229 2 years ago

Satanic Red could work for color if only because this game is pure evil - especially when the right gate flicks your ball out toward its death.

I hate when that happens. Somebody could probably come up with a 'fix' that would lock the gate when it's activated. Boost up the relay magnet as much as one could given it's powered by a lamp circuit, or something else.. but it wouldn't be the same. XD

#2232 2 years ago

If the wireform gate were only about 1/4" longer, the ball could still push it open but it wouldn't be able to slip between it and the tube exit gate. So that would be a fix, solder a little extension onto the end of the gate. Or removing the right screw on the tube exit gate and rotating that end down the side rail about a half inch, or repositioning the whole gate down a half inch, that would stop it too.
Or since the tube exit gate is just a single piece of wire and it would be pretty easy to make one, make a new longer one that extends another 1/2" down the channel, bent upward a little where it rests at the bracket so the end where the the balls hit it is still at the correct height.
That is if somebody just can't live with it, but I can. Even if Gottlieb didn't do this on purpose it's fun to think they did

cc5a94f074dfeb9a36dbd547b4daeecb23d3406d (resized).jpgcc5a94f074dfeb9a36dbd547b4daeecb23d3406d (resized).jpg
#2237 2 years ago
Quoted from REGNE:

I'm more frustrated when I've earned that gate open (& when coming back up from the lower field) I get a gate jumper that drains.I also get some that jump when the gate is closed...so...I guess I can't complain.

Make sure you have the correct coil on the kicker, or at least one that is not wound stronger. You can tweak the bracket with the rubber stop on it forward a little too or put a taller rubber stop on it to reduce the stroke a little. Mine is strong and makes it up 100% of the time but has never hopped the gate.

1 week later
#2243 2 years ago
Quoted from Clintonian:

The lower Playfield flippers and lower Playfield GI lights

If the rollover switch at the back of the spinner lane doesn't register, the ball will just drop down there without activating the lower flippers or lower lights and will be kicked back up, as you are seeing. Try activating that switch by hand and see if it is working or just needs cleaning. However the persistent sound and relay clicking sound strange so maybe that isn't the problem. There will be various things clicking between when the ball drains into the lower pf trough and is eventually kicked back up.

What does the 'persistent sound' actually sound like, the background sound or the lower pf 'blowing wind' sound or (?)

When ball enters lower pf, do the upper playfield lights turn off like they are supposed to?

1 month later
#2266 2 years ago

I'm old school and stuck with white rings, but clear ones do sound like a good idea for letting more light out from under the plastics on this particularly dark playfield. Even with extra bright LEDs it's still pretty dark!

#2271 2 years ago

<<< I’m thinking these are end of stroke switches for the coils? It seems they are open at baseline and close as the coil fires. Isn’t this backwards from how an EOS switch usually works?>>

That's a scoring switch, not an EOS. So make sure NOT to file it.

<<<will the bastard Bally coil be ok here or should I find a Gottlieb one?>>>

It's just the saucer kicker and that Bally coil is appx. the same power as the Gtb hole kicker coil(s) for BH, no biggie, I'd keep it.

#2272 2 years ago

Question about missing pull-up resistors: Pinwiki details how early BH's lower playfields may not have pull-up resistors on the three transistors down there, so I added those. BUT in the old 'Pinball Lizard' BH/HH documentation it states that my game's serial number "would require the resistor additions" and they were talking about all five transistors, no distinction between upper or lower depending on when the game was built. And the two upper pf transistors on mine have NO resistors nor an extra wire connected to them.

Can anybody verify that I indeed need to add resistors to these upper two? I'm assuming I just run the two wires to the common +24V point at fuses F14/15/16, similar to how the lower pf ones are done?

Thanks!

#2276 2 years ago

Okay I'll add the two upper pf pull-up resistors, thanks.

#2277 2 years ago
Quoted from PantherCityPins:

Question on lower playfield 1 3/16” posts. Per prior posts on this thread there are two tall posts at the gate and one behind the kicker target on the right. With the plastic installed the tall post is too tall? Is this really supposed to be a tall post? Is it to keep the ball from getting caught under the plastic?[quoted image]

Mine is a tall one there and I've never messed with it, it is probably to assure the plastic at that spot stays at same height as the shorter ones (but which are taller if you include the top of the acorn post) to, as you suggest, make sure the ball can't rub or get stuck under there. With everything assembled on mine it seems fine, plastic is not not being flexed and looks level.

#2279 2 years ago

I may try installing a short post there and see how it does. I watched a TNT video last night on Black Hole and it looks like their plastic at that location is flexed as well. My old plastic is flexed at that spot too.

Are you using brand new plastics? Mine are original so any flex in that particular plastic if it was there is probably broken in and not tight anymore. In any case it's a very small amount of flex, no big deal. The tall post could have been taking into account heat possibly causing that plastic to warp downward but really they probably just didn't want to take a chance about the ball clearance there.

#2290 2 years ago

One interesting thing about that material is they don't really seem to be on board with the Sys80 "add ground wires to all the boards" mod. They focus in detail about the poor design and assembly of the boards and meticulously fixing all the little things. But I did the ground wire adds if for nothing else than to add insurance against coils getting stuck on and cooked and have never had a coil lock on since nor any other grounding issue. Would be different if a bad ground connection ONLY resulted in the game not working correctly and didn't fry coils. The ground wires mod maybe isn't the most by-the-book fix of various issues that could cause the problem but it bypasses a lot of those causes without needing to fix them.

#2293 2 years ago

Can someone tell me what the function of this bracket is? Looks like there is this one on the cabinet and another matching one on the main playfield. I’ve been doing a restoration on my machine and the one for the playfield has gone missing somehow. Do I need to buy a replacement? Looks like some sort of lockdown mech for the main playfield?[quoted image]

On mine it's the one on the cabinet that's missing. I never even noticed that nor the bracket on the playfield until now. Probably for shipping purposes -- securing the upper pf with a bolt and nut thru it. And perhaps to help keep the lower pf from flopping forward/out, but they don't look like they would help with that much and it already has its own shipping bolt holes anyway. Nothing in the manual about these brackets as far as setting the game up. I'm guessing somebody removed the one in my cabinet to get it out of the way for raising the lower playfield, or it was jamming up with the pf bracket when lowering the upper pf. But they don't look like they are necessary once the game is set up.

#2294 2 years ago

For the heck of it I moved the bracket to the cabinet position to check things out, and it's actually a potential pain in the butt. If I slide the lower pf all the way up against it, the bracket's mounting screws jamb the pf so I can't lift it. Now I know why someone yanked that sucker.

1 week later
#2300 2 years ago

No menu buttons, you just use the test button in conjunction with the credit button.

All those coin door switches and the credit switch are tied to return 7 so since they all are dead you might try reseating the two connectors that come off it, laying under the tilt mech in the cabinet. Return 7 may have a broken connection in the wire bundle where it's attached to the door too, takes a lot of flexing. Check for continuity with meter of return 7 from the connector(s) to any of those switches. Just another thing to check first since you are stuck there. Try reseating A1J5 at the MPU board too for same issue.

225572841_144086054525861_3960588477680768695_n (resized).png225572841_144086054525861_3960588477680768695_n (resized).png

#2302 2 years ago

Figured that was a good place to check because I have two iffy coin door wires on my own BH, to the coin slot lamps and the coin reject relay. Open the door just so and they can cut out but they both 'work' with the door closed. Someday I'll have to replace them, the insulation is fine but the wires have broken internally from flexing via the door opening and closing.

1 month later
#2314 2 years ago

<<Right now I have a A-4893 and the ball comes up the tube so fast that it flies into the plastic and gets stuck>>

Which plastic, and gets stuck where?

5 & 1/2 or 6 degree pitch sounds good.

I have a Wms coil that is very close to the original coil, never fails with perfect delivery, I'm at slightly less than 5 & 1/2 degrees. You could also try tweaking the bracket with the rubber stop just a little or use a rubber stop that sticks out further to shorten the stroke of the kicker arm a tad. Funny that without the coil stop you got a slower, better kick... I woulda guessed it would be the opposite.

#2327 2 years ago

If the warp always comes back after the oven method, it would be great if could use two sheets of glass that had just tiny bit of curve in them to make the disc go past the warp in the opposite direction, but when it cooled it might end up flat. When Piniwiki said it doesn't work who knows if that meant it has no effect, or just not enough because the warp always springs back a little bit.

1 week later
#2344 2 years ago

Had mine on 5 ball forever, then finally changed to 3 ball and I'm keeping it this way, I like it. It eases up a bit on the rules like the higher scores on the pops and how the yellow standup targets' status is kept from ball to ball to make multiball a little easier.

4 months later
#2386 2 years ago
Quoted from Zigzagzag:

Does the front glass for the US version of Black hole have some sort of mask or print on it ?
It looks that way in these Ebay pictures : ebay.com link: itm
I don't mean the mirrored backglass, but the one in front of it.

It has grey transparent shading screened on it that accentuates the artwork on the main backglass.

4 weeks later
#2405 2 years ago

I didn't see it on PBR, it's the lower ball gate wireform. Could have sworn I saw pics somewhere where someone had made a homemade wireform replacement but can't find it.

#2433 2 years ago

I was doing some upgrades and lifting the playfield a lot, so I decided to put a thin strip of clear mylar tape along the top edge of that tall lower rail just to make it smoother and less likely to hang up on the wire bundle or to wear on the wire insulation.

3 weeks later
#2450 2 years ago

I've temporarily modded that gate area on mine by moving the right side of the tube exit gate down about 1/4 inch and holding it down with a bracket. I can undo it as it uses the original screw hole in the rail. Then the ball cannot squeak between that gate and the lower gate. The ball getting thru there just pisses me off but someday I'll undo it.

2 weeks later
#2452 2 years ago

The pinwiki mod of changing the 313 lamps to 44s or 47s seems like bunk to me as written. “313s are slightly brighter than 44s”? I looked at a chart and they have nearly *4X* the candlepower and wattage of a 44 and *7X* that of a 47. They needed 313s with that tinted pf window and the lower pf down there in the dark, that’s why Gottlieb used them. Seems to me one would HAVE to use brighter LEDs otherwise it’s a factory downgrade. Now if you put LEDs in there that are *brighter* than 313s, then it makes sense.

#2454 2 years ago

Doing that tweak makes no sense to me either. I was able to track down 28vdc LED bulbs and very pleased with the results.

I was considering doing it until I looked that stuff up. So I bought a box of 313s for $5 on ebay, a couple of my lamps were a little toasty looking. But after 25+ years with this game I don't think I ever actually had to replace a burned out one.

#2457 2 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

What do you mean by looked that stuff up? The brightness?

Found this list:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-lamps-1

#2459 2 years ago

And the pinwiki 'auto spin disc mod'... makes sense to me if you have an original motor and you want to preserve it or it's getting noisy and worn out. I put in a new slower-spinning one so I'm not going to do it for a low-use home machine. I already did the wonderful 'gate chatter' mod so if I did do this one too, I'd do it the same more direct way and run a 2-wire cable with a disconnect at the motor thru pf wire bundles and connect those two wires at another added Q relay switch. But really I dislike like the idea of taking one of the best attract features ever... and turning it off in attract.

2 weeks later
#2468 2 years ago
Quoted from topkat:

Every so often when the ball drops one of the black or hole drops, the game thinks the ball is in the lower pf. I’ve tried knocking the drops down repeatedly with my finger and it doesn’t happen. Seems only during game. Could it be the switch for the lower pf being activated by vibration.

Yes check the gap on the switch, under the upper playfield right before it drops down the hole. So it is doing it only by dropping targets, not by the targets resetting? Try banging on the playfield near there with your fist and see if you can get it to do it.
But if it is only vibration from targets dropping I'd think you'd have the same problems from the pop bumpers firing up there.

3 weeks later
#2474 1 year ago

Is should do a "Ohhhhh" voice sound effect when the ball triggers the lower playfield. Do the other voice and sound effects all work correctly? A relay will activate the lights on the lower playfield. which sounds like it's working.

#2475 1 year ago

Also is it only missing the voice effect when it's falsely triggered? Or it's *always* missing?

That rollover switch is on the same column or row as some of the drop targets, might want to check switch diodes. But it's not on any of the rows/columns for the upper pop bumpers, sw 06, so uhhh I dunno.

#2477 1 year ago
Quoted from topkat:

So when the ball goes down the spiral drop, the voice is there and everything is normal
When there is an issue with something else triggering, it just suddenly cuts power to top and goes to the lower. No sound effects prior

When whatever "it" is is falsely triggered, do the lower pf lights come on and the lower flippers become active, like they normally would when the ball goes down there? Or is it only partially doing that stuff or not at all?

1 month later
#2499 1 year ago

It shows 99 at the end of both the switch test (none closed) and if memory test passes okay.

#2507 1 year ago

I didn't take the original battery out of mine until last year and was amazed there wasn't a speck of corrosion or leakage anywhere and the battery still looked new, had never failed to hold memory even for weeks. Kinda felt bad throwing him out, he was a good soldier.

2 weeks later
#2531 1 year ago

Is that one of the upper kicker coils? They are powered thru the T and Q relays, and then directly by the kicker playfield switches. Maybe the diode is bad. And make sure those pf switches are not stuck closed. Was this kicker stuck on before the smoke?

4 weeks later
#2586 1 year ago
Quoted from sysprog:

I’ll try here too (cross posted to TSS):
My #blackhole was refurbished and all grounding mods done over 10 years ago, it’s been solid and trouble free ever since. Last week while playing a game, the upper drops failed to reset. I did a little checking and the fuse was blown, so I replaced it. Machine boots properly, and now when starting a game, the initial sound plays, but the second sound doesn’t play and the ball is not kicked out. Exactly the symptoms if there aren’t three balls in the trough. But with three balls in it, switch test shows switch 25 registering correctly. Is there anything else that would prevent a game from starting?

Do the other diagnostic tests work okay? Maybe try shorting sw 25 with an alligator clip just to make sure it's not the switch itself acting flakey.

2 weeks later
#2608 1 year ago

I had one bad window so I scraped the remaining blue off with a razor (carefully) and put in one of those Gottlieb blue windows that attaches over the display tube itself. But I'm sure others know how you could attach a blue cello film over that somehow.

#2620 1 year ago
Quoted from Grangeomatic:

It’s been a while on mine, but I thought the light was triggered by the gate. On mine if the gate didn’t move, the light didn’t change, as I recall…

Correct. If you do the trick to disable the gate opening and closing in attract, the light will just stay on solid in attract.

#2624 1 year ago
Quoted from Chalkey:

Is there evidence that this wasn't done on purpose to illustrate the fact that you need to open the gate during attract mode?

On Pinwiki it only says something about how they forgot that the gate was powered by a lamp driver. I dunno, that seems a little far-fetched. I mean if they didn't intend it to click on and off, that noise would have stuck out like a sore thumb. I disabled it anyway just because it gets to be annoying after 20 years.

#2627 1 year ago
Quoted from Chalkey:

maybe the mech will get wear but on the other hand unless there was a service bulletin or something 99% of these games sat on location with that thing clicking on and off all day without issue. And it does help show that the gate is there.

Mechanically it's so simple it's hard to see it wearing out, just a regular old relay armature moving the gate. Maybe clean the nylon bushing once every 50 years.

#2630 1 year ago
Quoted from Matthew2015:

can someone confirm if the red dot on the top this capacitor is the positive? .
someone changed the wires on these at one point so they don't match the colors listed in the schematics.
i am about to change the capacitor .
[quoted image]

You have the same green and yellow wires mine does. Green wire coming from the bridge rectifier (the lug with another green wire attached) goes to cap negative.

#2640 1 year ago

When you score it with the glass off, if you hit each BLACK target one by one, does each one score? And if so they still don't reset?

#2644 1 year ago

As another test - with some or all of the BLACK & HOLE targets already down, start up a game. The HOLE bank should reset about a half second before BLACK does. Are yours doing that, or firing at exactly the same time?

4 months later
#2842 1 year ago
Quoted from Robotworkshop:

I thought Black Hole uses all 27” legs

Mine came with four 27" legs. Front levelers are all the way in, rears are only halfway up and I'm at almost 6 degrees and both main and lower playfields plays fast. 31" in back would seem like overkill on my game based on this. Both HH and BH manuals just say "bolt on the legs" but not sure if that indicates all four would/should be the same length or if that was just a standard instruction for all their manuals.

Also take into account that if you are cranking up the level on the main pf, you're slowing *down* the lower pf just as much.

#2850 1 year ago

When it is 'locking up', are the displays strobing as you would normally see if the slam switch was open?

#2852 1 year ago
Quoted from jasonbar:

Is there a way to change the speed of the backbox chase lights? Swap a resistor or something to that effect? Or even put in a potentiometer to make it adjustable on the fly?
Thanks,
-Jason

The Pinwiki page for System 80 lists the different R13 resistor values on the lamp chase board used on different games that have different speeds, you just change that resistor for a different speed.

#2856 1 year ago
Quoted from jasonbar:

Thank you! I did see that...but I don't have a feel for what speed each game has...and I bet that lots of games have had their boards switched or resistors switched over time.
I guess the succinct follow-up question to ask is:
Does a higher resistance make the lights go faster or slower?
Thanks!
-Jason

Here ya go, from the old BHHHC repair guide. BH's lights are 4X faster than Haunted House. So increasing R13's value slows down the lamps.

322766244_1798689053836474_8884041035021690134_n (resized).png322766244_1798689053836474_8884041035021690134_n (resized).png
#2864 1 year ago
Quoted from Crimcyan:

Whats slope is most people running? I've tried a few and the best feeling I can get is 6.5 on the upper playfield but the lower playfield feels to slow.
Also are there any fixes for the balls getting stuck on the lower playfield in the gate before the transfer tube. Its mostly in multiball the 2nd ball usually gets stuck at the gate

Mine is at 5.7, plenty fast for me on both playfields. I could probably live with 6. Yes shimming up the lower would compensate if you're accustomed to 6.5 or 7 on your games.

Is your track switch #53 clean and adjusted correctly? Is the gate release coil pulling in okay but the ball is still not clearing it, or (?) Or does the ball just sit there on the switch and nothing happens? I suppose if your lower playfield slant was WAY too low after really cranking up the upper pf, it could mess with the ball being released by the gate cleanly, or cause the ball to barely get hung up by the switch sometimes.

#2876 1 year ago
Quoted from Lithium:

Keep the 313s, it's one of the things that make Black Hole unique and quirky. I do run LEDs in the GI strings, but run traditional 313s on that high voltage string. That's my two cents.

I did exactly that too. 313s are readily available and cheap, I bought a couple of boxes just in case that will last long after I'm dead, but none of mine have actually ever burned out. The 6V mod is the way to go if you really prefer LEDs there, and in colors, and ones that are even brighter than 313s if you want.

#2878 1 year ago

Never had a spoon gunked up or sticking like *that* before, blech. I always clean everything and then smear a tiny speck of white coin machine lube on the spoon with a Q-tip or toothpick.

1 week later
#2898 1 year ago

So you get the 'reentry accomplished/failed' speech even when it doesn't kick the ball out?

There are two power transistors under the lower playfield right next to the cutout under the tube kicker coil. Doublecheck the soldered connections on the left one.

3 weeks later
#2912 1 year ago
Quoted from jasonbar:

I know the ball was triggering the upkicker switch per my tests...perhaps, when the pitch is way off, ball just momentarily closes that switch & then the ball shifts, opening the switch again. Maybe the game won't fire that coil if it sees just a momentary switch closure? I can't think what else might make coil-firing performance be so sensitive to a few degrees of pitch change...

Mine was acting up like that and sometimes not firing even though it seemed as though the switch was adjusted well, so I decided oh well, put in a new switch... but it kept happening occasionally. Figured out that while the switch seemed to be closing when eyeballing it with the pf raised and holding a ball in there, in play it wasn't closing with enough switch travel. Needed to adjust the wireform and put very little gap on the points to finally nix the issue.

1 month later
#2948 1 year ago
Quoted from pin-ball1958:

It would be a good idea also to replace all those old orange capacitors on the board. They're dried out after 40 years.

Also note that if you decide to do that, heat up and straighten out the capacitors' leads and snip off any excess before pulling the caps out, those thru holes are very tight. Otherwise it can rip up the circuit traces (been there done that!)

3 weeks later
#2957 11 months ago

I as well have spent the last 30 years gradually upgrading my BH here and there... 2X brightness LEDs on the GI only (I'm not a GI fanatic but this dark game needs them!), new disc motor, new ps board, the ground mods, and recapping the speech board and power supply and cleaning the boards' male connector pads. The ps board is the only non-original board in it. First thing I did way way back was the ground mods and that basically made it bulletproof. I didn't even add the pull-up resistors to the remote transistors until last year, I just didn't know about that fix before then. Someday I'll get around to adding the two extra ground and 5v wires to the unused MPU/driver connector slots.

1 month later
#3020 10 months ago
Quoted from DaveTheTrain:

Still awaiting parts and new boards for our Black Hole project.. still even with it a mess and dried out rubbers I keep playing it.One thing I don't understand is the four yellow inserts on the lower playfield.
They illuminate when you hit the yellow standups on the right of the main playfield.
But dropping the drops in the lower playfield doesn't seem to do anything to the yellow inserts down there.
At first I thought there was an issue with the game but after watching a few videos it seems to be as intended
Can anyone explain?

The upper pf yellow spot targets turn on the lamps at the lower yellow drop targets. The yellow drops do not affect or control those lamps at all, the lower lamps are just indicators of which upper spot targets were hit. But a yellow drop target that is lit scores a lot more, and if all four are lit and the bank is completed it will light Extra Ball on the upper pf lock hole (which will be awarded immediately if a ball is already locked there).

4 weeks later
#3048 9 months ago

I find dead bounces fail every time on the lower flippers. Is this a Gottlieb flipper mech thing or do they need a rebuild?
The ball hits the left flipper and dies, which makes this game even more brutal as it's already near impossible to gain control of the ball

Dead bounces work fine on mine and I have regular ol' generic rubbers on the flippers and elsewhere. Make sure the return springs are not damaged and that all the screws are tight (ones that hold the flipper parts together, ones that mount the mechs to the playfield and the hex screws on the flipper shafts.)

1 week later
#3057 9 months ago

When the two balls are shot up from the lower playfield, does the game say 'Reentry attempt has failed' twice, as it should? (Once for each ball.)

#3059 9 months ago

Oh it sounds like you don't have speech installed in your game as of yet so never mind about the 'reentry attempt has failed'.

Possible switch closure issue - when multiball starts, the green 'opens gate' rollover will be flashing since you haven't opened it already. If that rollover switch is gapped extremely close, the vibration from the first ball slamming up from the tube right next to it could be vibrating that switch closed. The gate will then open before the second ball shoots up. But this seems like a long shot.

#3062 9 months ago

Okay you do have speech, sounds like it is saying 'reentry attempt has failed' both times, right?

Should be a much longer delay between the two lower balls being kicked out. Yours is so quick it is cutting off the first 'attempt has failed'. Can you verify that your lower playfield trough ball gate is functioning correctly? It is what creates the longer delay, it holds the second ball back while the first is dropping into the upkicker and being shot up, then after first ball is shot it releases the second ball to the upkicker.

Does it do exactly the same thing if you prevent any balls from draining into the outhole while this is going on?

#3064 9 months ago

Hmm with the original board it only said 'reentry failed' for the second ball...

On my game there is about a 2-second delay between the first ball shooting out and the second ball being released to the upkicker. On yours they occur almost simultaneously. And mine has a delay between the balls hitting the rollover switch and the first one being released. Yours hits the switch and boom it's immediately released. Yours is faster with either board.

#3072 9 months ago

If it fires the ball up twice in quick succession the second time the gate opens. I can replicate it by holding the wire gate closed so the ball has to be fired again, see the second time the gate opens.
Doesn't seem right at all

Noticed that on your upkicker video, as soon as ball 1 is shot out, ball 2 is immediately released by the gate.

On mine there is a delay there, so that if the first ball shot out doesn't make it and falls back down the tube (or I block it from getting out) it will keep retrying to shoot out ball one. Ball 2 will remain held by the gate until ball 1 has successfully made it out (apparently determined by the fact that the upkicker switch has not reclosed within a certain amount of time.) Don't see the delay in your video... is your second ball being released even if you block ball 1 from exiting the tube?

Do both or your boards do exactly the same thing as far as the timing and sequence of the ball gate and upkicker?

#3074 9 months ago

Mine works on timing, I don't need to hit any scoring switches (I have factory Gottlieb boards in it). I figured the delay was to prevent two balls from ending up in the upkicker, which is definitely bad since then both balls are much less likely to make it out of the tube and it will keep firing forever (hence the upkicker coils getting melted on a lot of BHs though this also can happen just because one ball can keep failing to get out from a weak coil etc.). From the video it looks like yours could easily end up with two in the upkicker since there is no delay before ball 2 is released by the gate.

#3078 9 months ago

Here's a vid of my BH showing the time delays in the firing of the ball gate. (Short delay before first ball is released and longer delay before second ball is released.)

#3081 9 months ago

Wow, mine is much faster, Thankyou for sharing! What mpu do you have? An original?

Yes, original factory board. It's possible the Pascal board just has different timing that still works right but isn't related to your issue with the outlane gate. Maybe somebody else with a Pascal board can verify the timing thing.

#3084 9 months ago

Just in case - when testing stuff like this, make sure that with each ball served to the shooter you score one of the top rollovers first before picking up the served ball and placing it here or there to run a test. That's a known BH bug that can cause really goofy and unpredictable glitches.

#3088 9 months ago

The only new thing I noticed was if the gate is open normally, It takes specific switches up top to close it again, otherwise it stays open.

It will close the open gate if any score is made on rubber ring switches or on the pop bumpers. You could watch to make sure you don't score any spurious points when a ball is shot out of the tube but who knows how the game would react to one of those switches being closed if you've already qualified the gate to stay open by completing a lower pf target bank.

#3091 9 months ago
Quoted from Crimcyan:

Just replace the rubbers on my black hole now this issue came up. When in the lower playfield sometimes it would act like I drained the ball in the lower playfield when I didn't. So mid game the flippers would cut off, lower GI goes out and the game says re-enterance success/failed and would force me to to drain.Any idea what this could be?

Check the gap and connection lugs on the lower pf upkicker switch, if it closes long enough even without a ball there like from vibration because it is gapped too close, it will see this as a drain. If this is what is happening it would also fire the kicker.

#3095 9 months ago
Quoted from frunch:

slochar is right--the game is designed that you can get a "free re-entry" if the ball is shot back to the lower pf before hitting certain switches--i always thought it was just the pop bumpers, but it would appear it's also the 10 point switches. Pretty neat rule, imo.

Correct, it's the pops and any rubber ring that scores points. Had my game for 30 years and I never even noticed this, I just found out by testing it out yesterday. Ugh, boy am I observant. I'm a very casual player so I guess I was too busy playing the rest of the game, of which there is plenty.

#3108 8 months ago
Quoted from TheSpeeder:

I have always considered that a software bug. It's on my todo list...

Quoted from frunch:

Yes, I've observed the same behavior on my game. I figured they leave the lower pf lit just in case your 3rd ball is down there when the other 2 drain.

But at that point the game would 'know' the third ball is down there (or not), since it would have registered going down there but not yet registered as draining and being shot back up, so the lights would have no reason to be turned off. In any case if it's a bug it's a sort of a good one, I like seeing both playfields being lit up for a little extra time and with only one ball left to deal with on the upper pf, you can really marvel at it.

#3121 8 months ago

Yeah that's fair, it does feel odd seeing it lit up with one ball up top

Yeah you'd think when the other two drain it would kill the lower pf, even if a ball is down there.

I don't see the sense in that. If multiball ends and I'm down to one ball again, and it's down there, I should be able to keep playing it the same as if it was on the upper playfield. Why get penalized just because multiball ended? The only bug is that it isn't turning the lower pf lights off if multiball ends and there's no ball down there.

1 month later
#3153 7 months ago
Quoted from Matt08:

Hi Black Hole Fans,
about these 10 points 5 switches number 34, I just noticed one of these 5 is not present on mine :
The one on the main playfield, up left, near the captive hole .
Under playfield is not enough free space to mount the switch on the kicking coil, due to the system guiding the ball to lower playfield.
I think it was definitely never mounted, because I don't find any wires black -yellow -yellow and blue -yellow -yellow around this area and no empty screw holes in the wood.
Do you have the same lack or is it mounted on yours?
[quoted image][quoted image]

The fifth 10 point switch is actually on the right slingshot, not the left. So all five switches are there, it's just that the playfield switch location diagram in the manual is incorrect.

#3154 7 months ago
Quoted from sullivcd40:

Thanks! Also, what coil do you use for the lowe playfield ball kicker? Pinwiki says use a flipper coil with an Eos switch but that seems excessive.

Supposed to be a 4893, same as a pop bumper. The EOS switch mod is not an absolute must but it's not excessive, plus it gives you adjustability to dial in the kick power for your particular machine and with how you like the playfield angle set and protects against the coil getting melted from transistor lock-on or if something causes the ball kick to repeatedly fail to get out of the tube. You can also do the pop bumper board mod by itself which avoids lock-ons.

Somebody replaced mine with a Williams coil which I think is slightly stronger than a 4893 but it has never failed to kick it out with just the perfect amount of kick and I have no lock-on issues and is in home use so I've stuck with it, but again it will differ from machine to machine and pf angle so I'm not saying hey put that coil in there.

#3155 7 months ago

I was watching the video link at the bottom of the Pinwiki BH page where all the sounds were tested out one by one, but I didn't hear the particular sound that comes right after the game start sound when the ball is served and the pf lights all do a lot of flashing. Sounds sort of like a fast laser machine gun that trails off at the end. I guess you'd call it the 'ball served' sound. It's somewhat like sound 6 but a little different and much faster. Anybody know where/how that sound is being generated? That's the only one where I just didn't hear it and it's buggin' me! Maybe it's just the beginning of another sound but it is just being activated repeatedly very fast?

1 week later
#3167 7 months ago

Now that I have a little bit of experience with repinning connectors I finally decided to tackle the mpu-to-driver interconnect harness on my BH. The old pins weren't causing any problems but they looked dull and gray and a little bit 'sprung' compared to the mirror-shiny new ones. Also added the recommended extra ground and 5V wires to the two unoccupied slots. I think I will try removing the gangly old ground mod wires I'd added to the mpu and driver boards decades ago since the driver now has doubled-up ground and 5V connections just like the mpu already did, plus all new pins. There's already a new power supply board in there that has an extra screw-on lug for ground so I'm keeping the wire I added from it to the cabinet ground so I know it's 100% solid.

#3169 7 months ago
Quoted from sullivcd40:

My lower ball gate coil is locked on. I replaced the lower playfield transistors and the driver board transistor for that coil tested fine. Any idea where I should look next?

Does the playfield transistor have the pull-down resistor installed? One lug on the transistor would have an extra wire on it, coming from the resistor. On early run BHs, the factory didn't put those in on the lower playfield. No resistor wouldn't necessarily cause it to lock on but it can help prevent it depending on the circumstances.

Does it lock on immediately when game is powered up?

#3172 7 months ago
Quoted from sullivcd40:

Yeah, immediately locks on. It has the pull down resistor installed. PO spliced one of the wires. [quoted image]

If you haven't tried this yet, is there any diff if you pull off and reseat the connector between the mpu and driver board, and all the other connectors on the driver board?

#3174 7 months ago

Here's the cheap-ass tool I used to extract the pins from my mpu/driver interconnect connecter, it's just two staples I pried off the end of a strip made for a desk stapler. Just slid one end in under each pin and they all came out easy as pie on the first pull. Except one wire, both pins on it refused to come out even when I put pressure on the staples while pulling the wire and tried bending the staples a bit to put more pressure on the locking ears. Since the old pins weren't causing problems before, I left that one in there for now.

384203358_1012570713281252_5640299045038552330_n (resized).jpg384203358_1012570713281252_5640299045038552330_n (resized).jpg

1 month later
#3197 5 months ago
Quoted from Robotworkshop:

Does anyone have a map of which bulbs in the backbox of Black Hole are supposed to be 455 blinking bulbs? Are they just behind the spinning disk?

Yes, only behind the disk. Except on mine I didn't use a blinker on the lamp at the very top of the disk which is just at the edge of the disk 'cause it lights up some of the backglass and doesn't really show much on the disk.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

$ 83.00
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts

Machine - For Sale
Ottawa, ON
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider frenchmarky.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/black-hole-club-members-only?tu=frenchmarky and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.