PXL_20240103_220434164.jpg
IMG_5107 (resized).jpeg
PXL_20231029_054015295 (resized).jpg
PXL_20231029_053936841 (resized).jpg
PXL_20231029_053945558 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

6 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1614 How to light up the tube Posted by Mudflaps (5 years ago)

Post #1618 Example photo for a lit tube Posted by Mudflaps (5 years ago)

Post #1628 Example photo for a lit tube Posted by gweempose (5 years ago)

Post #3035 Example for using Ice blue LEDs Posted by Crimcyan (9 months ago)

Post #3157 Adding a potentiometer to the aux lamp driver board for chase lights Posted by Redfive05 (7 months ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider flashball.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2471 1 year ago

Havent started digging through this thread much, hope to have more time tonight. But I have some odd behavior and I was hoping someone with more experience can point me in the right direction.

Machine powers up and boots just fine. Game starts, ball kicks out and upper playfield works flawless. As far as I can tell. The lower playfield is not so fortunate. The flippers are not working at all down below, and the solenoid that brings a ball back to the top keeps firing over and over every couple seconds. I can see a few wires with electrical tape on the board right next to the kicker but havent dug deep enough to see if that has anything to do with the solenoid im diagnosing.

Thoughts and or pics of underneath the lower playfield would be appreciated. Specifically around that pop bumper board right next to the kicker solenoid.

1 month later
#2480 1 year ago

Does anyone have a switch listing that shows each switch number with the switch location?
My manual does not have it.

Thanks

1 week later
#2487 1 year ago
Quoted from Matthew2015:

cool white looks good . same for the bottom playfield too right? , it uses the 28v 313 type of bulb , right?

I used the 2smd sunlight for the under playfield lights. But first I did the pinwiki modification to be able to use the traditional #44 bayonet lamps.

Here's a link to this quick easy mod.
https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php/Black_Hole#Replacing_Black_Hole_Lower_Playfield_Illumination_Lamps_with_.2344_Lamps

And a photo of my Black Hole with the sunlights under playfield.

20220619_154115 (resized).jpg20220619_154115 (resized).jpg
#2488 1 year ago
Quoted from John_I:

Since then Comet has made "indicator lamps" which have domes that are the same color as the LEDs. I would think that these would look good too as chase lights.

I like the look of these. I think ill order some and try them out.

#2489 1 year ago

My current issue with black hole is a tilt being caused by certain coils.

When the coil fires to put a ball into the shooter lane, it causes the tilt sound.

Game continues to play properly.

Also, when I hit the top pop bumper on the lower playfield it causes the game to make the tilt sound.

My sleuthing so far has not returned many clues.

Thoughts?

#2491 1 year ago

I found a bad sound chip (z13) on the driver board using the pinwiki diode test method. Pulled the chip socketed and replaced it.

But same thing is still happening. I love the Tilt callout on Black Hole but its beginning to get annoying.

#2496 1 year ago

Cool video Duffy! Hey quick question, in your video I noticed your machine shows 99 credits. I only see a maximum setting of 25 credits in the manual. Can you tell us how you did this?

Thanks,
Flash

#2504 1 year ago
Quoted from slochar:

What part of the video is that in? I saw where it showed zero but I was skipping around in the video.
I thought he might have had a pascal or niwumpf in it, but looked like GTB original.

My mistake, I seen the original boards but I was jumping around between videos. I think I seen it on a different video while jumping around. The other guy was running a Pascal board.

#2509 1 year ago
Quoted from MtnFrost:

I posted this in restoration, but I wanted to check with fellow BH owners here. What's the solution? Light sand and re-tin each strip? I've already tried eraser, and I did treat the area with vinegar, just in case. Testing each contact strip, most don't show continuity between the strip and the other end of each trace.
[quoted image]

I use a fiberglass pencil on mine. Just the right amount of abrasiveness to polish them to a nice shine.

3 weeks later
#2544 1 year ago

Well, I've made lots of progress on the Black Hole I'm working on. It boots, starts a game, sounds work fine. Upper Playfield solenoids all seem to work properly. But when I shoot the spinner and go down below, the re-entry coil begins firing randomly on its own. Then the MPU locks up until I power cycle.

My re-entry coil has been wired to drive with a pop bumper driver board. I believe it is all wired appropriately. But it seems like it's detecting noise in the circuit and is firing prematurely. Ive read about adding a 1uf capacitor to the PBDB to help with that. As I've also had a similar problem with my Gottlieb Victory. But in that case the MPU never locked up alongside the extra coil hits.

Thoughts?

2 weeks later
#2592 1 year ago
Quoted from gigasturtz:

doesn't sit flush with the rest of the play field and sometimes the ball will do some wonky things traveling over it. any advice for improving that?

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/A-21219

Take the old foam washers out and replace them with new. Tighten the screws until flush then stop.

2 weeks later
#2612 1 year ago

Finally got the project Black Hole Ive been working on mostly operational. I have only found one flaw. The re-entry gate is always open. So the ball always comes into the inlane. Guess I shouldnt complain much!

I'll have to figure out why that small relay coil never energizes.

received_3530849377143372 (resized).jpegreceived_3530849377143372 (resized).jpeg
#2614 1 year ago
Quoted from Grangeomatic:

Any chance the gate (or gate mechanism) is physically stuck?
Or maybe just a little resistant to moving?
Just an idea….I had mine that was sometimes NEVER open, and just needed a little adjustment.
Jeff

Nah, it moves very easily. The coil just never pulls the back plate in. I think I seen a wiring hack in the backbox so that could be it. Ill have to pull the manual and trace wires.

Come to think of it, the disc motor is super noisy too. Probably should replace it. I've heard the replacement is super quiet.

#2617 1 year ago
Quoted from MtnFrost:

In attract mode, does that gate / light switch? I have the Pascal board, but I seem to remember this should be the normal attract behavior?

The light clickson and off. But the gate just stays in the open position.

#2638 1 year ago

On my machine the BLACK drop targets won't reset until the HOLE targets are all down also. It's this correct operation? Or should they each reset individually after the bank is complete?

Thanks
Flash

#2641 1 year ago
Quoted from frenchmarky:

When you score it with the glass off, if you hit each BLACK target one by one, does each one score? And if so they still don't reset?

Correct. They each score, they each have a sound effect, and the arrows each light up. But they don't reset regardless of the order they were knocked down.

However, they will reset after HOLE is all knocked down.

#2642 1 year ago

Here's a video of it in action.

#2654 1 year ago
Quoted from gigasturtz:

Well, my rotation motor started making the grinding sound tonight.

https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php/Black_Hole#Replacing_the_Black_Hole_.22Spinning_Disk.22_Motor

It's right around $50 to replace everything.

Screenshot_20220906_231816 (resized).jpgScreenshot_20220906_231816 (resized).jpg
#2662 1 year ago
Quoted from Chalkey:

Check the wiring to make sure the signal side of the coil hasn't been bridged from the hole targets?

This is exactly what is going on. For some reason. Someone has bridged the signal side of the coils. I'll dig into why later. But now I know why it is happening. Im guessing an operator lost signal to the BLACK side and chose this as a way to fix the problem quickly.

1 week later
#2699 1 year ago

I always use these. I like how they mount with the two screws. Never noticed an issue with height, but I always put LEDs back in.

SmartSelect_20220917_195848_Chrome (resized).jpgSmartSelect_20220917_195848_Chrome (resized).jpg
1 month later
#2827 1 year ago

Note to future owners, dont try to disassemble the noisy spinning disc motor and clean unless you're ready to purchase another one. Not only are the plastic cogs likely broken or worn down, but the case it was assembled in is made of a soft material and the side of the tapped screw hole blew out when I loosened the screw.

My disc is in great shape, I just need to replace the motor assembly now. At least the new one should be much quieter.

received_598952531862158 (resized).jpegreceived_598952531862158 (resized).jpegreceived_778942730090516 (resized).jpegreceived_778942730090516 (resized).jpeg
1 month later
#2846 1 year ago
Quoted from PinballDr:

I'm looking for a playfield glass for either BH or HH. If someone in the St. Louis area has one they can spare let me know. TIA

Marco has both the blue and green windows in stock.

1 week later
#2875 1 year ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

Convert it to 6 volt ac and use regular GI leds.

I second this. If for no other reason but to simplify the bulbs for the next person someday down the road. Switching them takes 10 minutes.

Here's an easy to use guide from Pinwiki

https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php/Black_Hole#Replacing_Black_Hole_Lower_Playfield_Illumination_Lamps_with_.2344_Lamps

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

$ 83.00
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider flashball.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/black-hole-club-members-only?tu=flashball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.