PXL_20240103_220434164.jpg
IMG_5107 (resized).jpeg
PXL_20231029_054015295 (resized).jpg
PXL_20231029_053936841 (resized).jpg
PXL_20231029_053945558 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

6 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1614 How to light up the tube Posted by Mudflaps (5 years ago)

Post #1618 Example photo for a lit tube Posted by Mudflaps (5 years ago)

Post #1628 Example photo for a lit tube Posted by gweempose (5 years ago)

Post #3035 Example for using Ice blue LEDs Posted by Crimcyan (10 months ago)

Post #3157 Adding a potentiometer to the aux lamp driver board for chase lights Posted by Redfive05 (7 months ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider davebart5.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#781 8 years ago

Hey guys, I'll be the proud owner of a BH as of this weekend. I'm very excited and will be joining the club here once I do. Putting it right next to my Haunted House.

Does anyone have the dimensions for the body of the game? Could I assume its exactly the same size as my HH (55"L x 25"W)? I'm planning out the vehicle to use for this pickup.

I did a quick look on google, as well as Pinside and didn't find anything definitive.

#783 8 years ago

Fantastic. Thank you for the info Steve!

#800 8 years ago

Anyone have an extra one of these BH key rings they would be willing to part with? They come up on eBay from time to time, but I haven't seen one since the summer. I'm getting my BH this weekend and would love one of these keychains for my lock. Pictured below is the one I have for my HH and it would be cool to have matching sets.

Thanks. Can't wait to have my re-entry hang in the balance game after game!

IMG_0125.JPGIMG_0125.JPG

#804 8 years ago
Quoted from Insane:

I don't know if he is taking new orders again yet, but here is where I got some arcade ones, i'm sure he does pinball as well.
http://arcadekeychains.com/
You can shoot him an email and find out.

Thanks man, I shot him an email just now and will report back if it's a go or not. But this is exactly what I was looking for, if he does pinball versions.

#805 8 years ago

Actually, he just got back to me that he is no longer making or selling keychains.

Oh well, thanks anyways for the potential lead!

#807 8 years ago
Quoted from hootowls:

Keychains...FWIW
I bought a bag keychain fobs on eBay and grabbed a few images to print. I find that a sheet of laminate over the paper before putting it in the fob looks nice; clear packing tape works too.
IMG_0121.jpg

Great idea. Thanks man. I might actually just try that.

#809 8 years ago
Quoted from blownfuse:

I just key all my games alike, I don't need to carry keys for 100 games, one key will get me into any of them.
Steve

When I'm on your level of a collection, I too would have a master key.

3 weeks later
#816 8 years ago

Hey guys, quick question about gameplay. I think I know the answer, because this is what's happening when I play, but I just wanted to be sure it's normal.

When I have two or more players, and someone captures a ball in the lower level black hole, that ball stays captured for every other player after that until one of the players gets a multi-ball.

I also play exclusively on 3 ball. Is this normal behavior overall, and is this the same for 5 ball games?

Thanks!

#818 8 years ago

And while I'm at it... Can someone please tell me what this number in the 'ball in play' display represents when a game is over? I see a random number pop up and never know what means.

Thanks!

IMG_0282.JPGIMG_0282.JPG

#820 8 years ago

Mine does show the 1, 2, or 3 for which ball I'm on when i'm in the middle of a game, but when a game is over I get one of these random numbers. I often see this in other machines where it randomly throws you a random round number like this, but I never knew what it means.

#822 8 years ago
Quoted from catboxer:

That's right and I believe it does not change between 3 and 5 ball. Although I have mine on 3 ball too.

Quoted from Slim64:

That's your "match" number

Thank you guys! Loving my Black Hole. As I'm learning more about game in general, and the angles I can take to attack the key shots of the game, I'm getting more consistent reaching multi-ball. This game is a lot of fun.

3 weeks later
#841 8 years ago

Hey guys, quick question regarding the BH spinning disk and I apologize if this has been covered several times over in this thread.

My game has two screws in the face of the disk, just like the picture attached, taken from the Pinwiki BH repair site.

Can someone tell me if this is the way it's always been from factory? There is a hole in the middle of those screws as if it was intentionally to be fixed to a single rod.

Also, since mine has the screws, I think it would look better if they were black. Does anyone have a resource to find the right size screws in black to hide them within the art better?

Thank you!

660px-BlackHoleReplacementMotorSpinningDisk_(resized).jpg660px-BlackHoleReplacementMotorSpinningDisk_(resized).jpg

#845 8 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

The first BH I had came with a single rod in the center. Don't know if the two screws were a mod later possibly for stability of the wheel. My second and the one I have now I wrapped with masking tape and sprayed the heads of the screws with gloss black.

Quoted from blownfuse:

All the BH's I've ever owned had black flat head screws holding the disc, not silver roundhead screws. They should be flush with the disc too.
Steve

Thanks guys. If I can't find black flat head screws to go in there, I will go with Colson's route. Great idea.

#854 8 years ago

Does anyone have a spare BH spinning disk they would be willing to part with? Mine has some imperfections, wear & tear, etc.

Feel free to PM if you do.

Thank you!

#856 8 years ago
Quoted from pinster68:

I have a nice one for you. PM sent.
Brian

Thank you Brian! This problem is officially solved thanks to you.

This is just another example of how awesome the pin community is and truly looks out for each other.

I am very thankful.

#857 8 years ago

Hey guys, so I'm curious about what BH's were like originally coming off the assembly line. Just so when I see a game out there for sale saying it's an all original, which I happen to personally like, I know what to look for.

I've seen some games out there with chrome legs and some with black legs. I've also seen games with the chrome acorn speed nuts holding down plastics and some with the white rubber tops (I believe the bottom PF always had the whites and tops had chrome).

I know we said the spinning disks originally had flush black flat-head screws holding it on, and others with a single rod.

What did a factory BH look like? The official flyers only show so much and usually the legs are below the frame.

Any insight is much appreciated here.

#861 8 years ago
Quoted from CNKay:

That stuff imo means nothing. And a lot of flyers not correct as proto machine picture in flyer. Like flash flyer shows red drops i believe and never seen a machine with red. Always blue. My BH machine has chrome legs with all chrome speed nuts. All boards original with matching serial numbers as well. Which is what some may look for but I don't think it matters much. A circuit is a circuit. Now aftermarket board that is a different story.

I think you're right about the flyers and it being proto machines featured. I just personally like it and when pursuing a game, I would want a machine for sale that much more if it were all original parts, matching serial numbers, etc. I can't really explain the reason other than the fascination that the game was able to stay together for it's life. With how much abuse these games go through over the years, especially older titles released before it was common to own your own machine and have it be HUO, seeing a game in a preserved state is almost like it's frozen in time untouched.

Now, having a game be all together with original parts doesn't always mean no wear and tear. The HH I found in '15, it was literally stored in a basement since '87, and so it was like a time capsule, but it did have the usual wear on the drop points. And with that comes the catch that none of the bulletproofing was done to it and the battery leaked a little, but overall I would buy it all over again and now that I have the guts of it updated, the playfield parts are literally the ones put on from the factory, except for rubbers and the clear window. Those needed replacing of course.

But for the record, I wouldn't expect someone to pay more for my game because it was all original. Just personal preference.

Quoted from pezpunk:

For what it's worth, I'm pretty sure it came with stainless steel acorn nuts and legs. Black legs would probably look awesome though -- they'd match the trim on the head.

Here is a photo of what I believe is the factory legs for system 80s, or at least BH/HH. Not sure but I believe a long time pinhead once told me these legs have these extra support indents to make them beefier to handle the weight of these monsterous games, but I could be wrong on what he meant.

IMG_0374_(resized).JPGIMG_0374_(resized).JPG

#864 8 years ago

Does anyone have a spare BH spinning backglass disc they would be willing to part with? Mine has some imperfections, wear & tear, etc.

Feel free to PM if you do.

Thank you!

Gottlieb_1981_Black_Hole_Scan_of_Spinning_Disc_200dpi__(resized).jpgGottlieb_1981_Black_Hole_Scan_of_Spinning_Disc_200dpi__(resized).jpg

#867 8 years ago
Quoted from blownfuse:

All of my System 80/80A/80B games have smooth legs, if a System 80/80A/80B game shows up here with the wrong legs, I toss them in the can and get the correct one's. Actually, I don't even mess with old legs anymore, I just buy new one's now with new bolts. IIRC, the rib style legs were on System 3 games.
Steve

Awesome! Glad to finally know what style the original legs are. Doesn't matter to some, but to me I like to get these as original as possible. Will look for some smooth system 80 legs at my next show (Allentown) or see what shipping from PBR will run me. I have to place an order with them anyways.

#869 8 years ago
Quoted from blownfuse:

IIRC shipping is cheaper if you spend $100 or more so I usually add legs & bolts to my restocking orders when I do them. Remember that they are 27" for most of the games and use 31" on the backs of MGoW, HH, Spirit & Caveman. The exception to the 27" rule for the front legs is MGoW, the 28 1/2" legs work better there because of the leg position error.
Steve

Yeah, I think my order will be over $100, especially tacking on these legs. You get 10% off too with orders over $100. I'll ask if the shipping discounts are available too.

I can look at the manual, but just to confirm while we're here and on the topic, all four legs on the BH are 27", right?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Ottawa, ON
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 83.00
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider davebart5.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/black-hole-club-members-only?tu=davebart5 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.