PXL_20240103_220434164.jpg
IMG_5107 (resized).jpeg
PXL_20231029_054015295 (resized).jpg
PXL_20231029_053936841 (resized).jpg
PXL_20231029_053945558 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

6 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1614 How to light up the tube Posted by Mudflaps (5 years ago)

Post #1618 Example photo for a lit tube Posted by Mudflaps (5 years ago)

Post #1628 Example photo for a lit tube Posted by gweempose (5 years ago)

Post #3035 Example for using Ice blue LEDs Posted by Crimcyan (9 months ago)

Post #3157 Adding a potentiometer to the aux lamp driver board for chase lights Posted by Redfive05 (7 months ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Pinball_Postal.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2857 1 year ago

Great information. Thanks so much. Now if I can only find an inner back glass for BH.

4 months later
#2964 11 months ago
Quoted from Deadlander:

So I just joined another club and picked up a nice Black Hole project that is missing 4 pop bumper driver boards. Was hoping to find some used instead of buying repos at $45 a board. Anyone have some lying around collecting dust?
Thanks,
Al

Get some new ones. These work well and get 4 of them for less than $70 or so shipped.
https://nvram.weebly.com

Go to the Gottlieb page.

3 weeks later
#2984 10 months ago

That must be the wrong motor. Also the ground mods are pretty much mandatory for these Gottlieb system 80's.

Pinwiki has information about replacing the spinning disk motor and the ground modifications.

#3001 10 months ago
Quoted from DaveTheTrain:

How would it behave with LEDs? I'm thinking comet sunlight or cool white (might work with the blues) but noticed there's a few different bulbs I've never encountered before.

My experience is leds are fine because the bulbs aren't in a matrix, they are driven directly. I used ghost buster leds because that's what I had but they were probably not necessary.

Those bulbs located around the playfield window on the bottom are 313 bulbs. I think they are 12 volt and will immediately burn a 44 bulb.

They light up when the ball is on the lower playfield. I left those as stock.

6 months later
#3228 3 months ago
Quoted from kinggroucho:

Hey all. So I just bought a Black Hole about a month ago. My takeaway so far is that it's so punishingly hard that it's not all that much fun to play. I'm a pretty good player, and I have a really hard time on it. I suppose that would make it good for competition, but it's so hard that I don't see how a new player would want to play it a second time. Obviously it looks amazing and has incredible gimmicks, but I felt like the fun factor was lacking.
I've since dealt with 2 of the things that I found most taxing, so I thought I'd share. I'm not sure if it's genius or heretic, but I can tell you it's a hell of a lot more fun to play. Yes they increase play time but setting to 3 balls and having it set up more fairly feels like the best way to go.
1. I added a center post on the lower playfield. I didn't feel bad about it because it's easily removed and no one would ever see the hole since that part of the playfield is not visible. Losing the ball on that lower playfield before qualifying a save was maddening. If I was a new player and I just got into the coolest part of this machine (the lower playfield), only to lose the ball for real, I feel like I'd be so annoyed that I'd never play again. The center post increases playtime in the lower playfield enough to qualify the save more often. It feels like it's more my fault than the game's now.
2. I fashioned a one-way gate on the right "outlane" using some old lamp sockets and some wire. The most frustrating thing about this game was having the ball bounce over to the right side of the playfield (via the pop usually), past the flippers, and pushing the gate open. If I was lucky, all it would do is disqualify the lower playfield ball save, but if I was unlucky, the ball would push the gate open, then the gate would close behind it, losing the ball.  Both scenarios filled me with rage that only a one-way gate could dispel. I also don't feel bad about this because it's also easily removable.
Was kinda just curious if others felt the same about this game? It's so highly reviewed that I felt like I've been missing something.
[quoted image]

I am a poor player. I must be real lucky because I have rolled mine a few times. I have it set up pretty steep with rear legs up almost all the way. It is a fun game. I still have some low score games on it, because it can be mean.

1 week later
#3240 88 days ago
Quoted from matt_adams:

Switched my black hole on tonight and noticed that the infinity lights in the back glass are really dim, probably half the brightness they usually are.
I've reseated all the connectors that seem to be related to these lights but with no change. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what would cause this?

Those lamps are driven by the auxiliary lamp driver board A11. Look at the connectors on A11. These signals also go through one of the large molex connectors before going into the frame that holds the infinity lights.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Pinball_Postal.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/black-hole-club-members-only?tu=Pinball_Postal and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.