PXL_20240103_220434164.jpg
IMG_5107 (resized).jpeg
PXL_20231029_054015295 (resized).jpg
PXL_20231029_053936841 (resized).jpg
PXL_20231029_053945558 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

6 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1614 How to light up the tube Posted by Mudflaps (5 years ago)

Post #1618 Example photo for a lit tube Posted by Mudflaps (5 years ago)

Post #1628 Example photo for a lit tube Posted by gweempose (5 years ago)

Post #3035 Example for using Ice blue LEDs Posted by Crimcyan (9 months ago)

Post #3157 Adding a potentiometer to the aux lamp driver board for chase lights Posted by Redfive05 (7 months ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider GRUMPY.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#481 9 years ago

A question for system 80 experts. Sometimes player 2 display will light extra bright on all segments on two of the six numbers during boot up. Game boots fine and works fine but player 2 will show extra bright numbers. If I reboot it it shows correctly and plays fine. The game works 100% and has ground mods done, reset mod done and a new spinning disc motor. Is this a display harness going bad or is the display going bad? Thanks for any help, Don.

3 months later
#569 8 years ago
Quoted from blownfuse:

where you score all the big bonus if you have both G-Forces lit while in multi-ball. Every time you go into the saucer if set up this way, you get 12K in added bonus.

No wonder my scores suck, my high score to date 809700.

4 years later
#1789 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinkitten:

Are there any adjustable settings on Black Hole, such as free play?

No but you can add a jumper across the switch diodes. Then it will add a credit and start a game at the same time.

#1793 4 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Again, no need if you set the credit targets low enough.
You will always earn more credits than you use starting a game till the max credit is hit.

I suck at playing pinball, I need the jumper.

1 year later
#2116 3 years ago
Quoted from goingincirclez:

ALL of the remote transistor boards are removed (on bench, waiting on components to rebuild them)

These boards that you are referring to are for the pop bumpers, not for the up kicker. The single transistor mounted to an L bracket is for the up kicker.

#2119 3 years ago
Quoted from goingincirclez:

But I guess my confusion would be why this *one* coil was actively "live" moreso than the others? And if that's just a fluke/steady-state/wear indicator then why it wasn't it live the next time I turned the game on.

Some games did not come with pull-up resistors on the remote under play field transistors. By not having this the base terminal voltage of the transistor can drain down and start passing current to the coil causing it to melt. Once the factory realized there mistake they add this resistor to bring the base terminal voltage to 24 volts thus forcing the transistor off. I would check to see if you have pull-up resistors on all of the remote transistors and add them if you don't.

#2125 3 years ago
Quoted from Snowtrooper:

It is found in the Pin Lizard Black Hole / Haunted House Owner’s Club literature.

Read this many years ago when I first got my Black Hole. Lots of good stuff in there for sure.

1 year later
#2458 2 years ago
Quoted from frenchmarky:

Seems to me one would HAVE to use brighter LEDs otherwise it’s a factory downgrade.

I did the light mod for the convenience of using a standard bulb. I have a large selection of different #44 led bulb types, colors and brightness on hand to try until I found what I liked. Mine is about the same level of brightness, but more even coverage and colored. I think it looks better than factory and didn't take much time and no cost other then the led bulbs.

So if anyone wants my old 313 bulbs I can send them to you, as they are of no use to me.

4 months later
4 months later
#2854 1 year ago
Quoted from jasonbar:

Is there a way to change the speed of the backbox chase lights?

I added a pot resistor to mine because I put blue LEDs in the chaser lights. I didn't like the on/off duration either and changed that timing too.

#2855 1 year ago
Quoted from jasonbar:

Thank you! I did see that...but I don't have a feel for what speed each game has...and I bet that lots of games have had their boards switched or resistors switched over time.
I guess the succinct follow-up question to ask is:
Does a higher resistance make the lights go faster or slower?
Thanks!
-Jason

If my memory is intact, l replaced R-12, R-13 and C-1. I don't remember which resistors changes the speed and which changes the on/off duration.

IMG_20230112_012941 (resized).jpgIMG_20230112_012941 (resized).jpg
#2861 1 year ago

https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/bourns-inc/3362P-1-105LF/1088414?s=N4IgTCBcDaIMxwGxgA4FoCMmAMBWANgGZoB2AJiALoC%2BQA

You can use this. It will adjust from @ 55 pulses to well over 300 pulses. You only need to use 2 of the 3 leads, but you need to test it with an omh meter first to know which 2. No problem adjusting while the game is on. Best to have someone adjust it for you while you watch.

#2862 1 year ago
Quoted from Crimcyan:

Whats slope is most people running? I've tried a few and the best feeling I can get is 6.5 on the upper playfield but the lower playfield feels to slow.
Also are there any fixes for the balls getting stuck on the lower playfield in the gate before the transfer tube. Its mostly in multiball the 2nd ball usually gets stuck at the gate

Add shims/washers under the lower play field where the locking screws hold it down. The screws will hold the washers in place to keep them from falling out. You get the best play on both

#2871 1 year ago
Quoted from jasonbar:

Does anybody have recommendations for 28V LED bulbs to replace the incandescent 313 bulbs that illuminate the lower PF?
My first searches reveal LEDs costing $4-5 each. Eeek!
Thanks,
-Jason

Convert it to 6 volt ac and use regular GI leds.

4 months later
#2981 11 months ago
Quoted from pacman11:

Where can I find a replacement motor for the backglass?

Servo city.

3 months later
#3159 7 months ago
Quoted from petebest:

Hi all.
I got my BH operating 100%. Really excited! I need to make a modification.
The chaser lights around the backbox are dizzying. Has anyone added a Potentiometer to adjust the “chase” speed?
If so - please share details on where you added it. Pics would be great
Thx!!

At work presently but I can when I get home.

#3162 7 months ago

I changed the cap and the resistors. I have LEDs installed so I wanted to change the on duration and the speed of the chase

IMG_20230916_234425 (resized).jpgIMG_20230916_234425 (resized).jpg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider GRUMPY.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/black-hole-club-members-only?tu=GRUMPY and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.