PXL_20240103_220434164.jpg
IMG_5107 (resized).jpeg
PXL_20231029_054015295 (resized).jpg
PXL_20231029_053936841 (resized).jpg
PXL_20231029_053945558 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

6 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1614 How to light up the tube Posted by Mudflaps (5 years ago)

Post #1618 Example photo for a lit tube Posted by Mudflaps (5 years ago)

Post #1628 Example photo for a lit tube Posted by gweempose (5 years ago)

Post #3035 Example for using Ice blue LEDs Posted by Crimcyan (9 months ago)

Post #3157 Adding a potentiometer to the aux lamp driver board for chase lights Posted by Redfive05 (7 months ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider CNKay.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#94 10 years ago

Count me in as member or did i miss open enrollment? Hi Steve, blownfuse one of the good ones!

I had upper flippers aligned with ball guides for a long time, one day after cleaning and maintenance I set lower and wow much better. Better shots for capture hole for the lower playfield and well just overall better.

Lower playfield is different I go out of my way just to keep em like they were, and are.

#102 10 years ago

I vote 3 ball.
Well back in the day almost every machine was set to 3 ball anyhow. So just what I am used to.
3 ball on black hole( i think ) is better. The yellow targets stay off from ball to ball. pops score higher. I think that is the only difference.
Also I have noticed that whenever kids play if set to 3 ball they usually finish the game. If set to 5 a lot of times they finish the 3rd ball and move on to another machine. I don't know why just something I noticed.

#104 10 years ago

Oh i see your point, yes 5 ball is harder for sure but most games with multiball you get at least once a game unless you suck. On BH it seems like I get multiball 1 out of 4 with 3 and 1 out of 25 with 5. It is a bit to hard. At least for me.

#107 10 years ago

Yes WOZ that is so true. It is also disappointing when you get up to x3 or x4 and never go to the lower pf. NO Bonus, no nothing. Black Hole really makes you earn every point.

I had a game going yesterday and on the second ball "Hit me with your best shot" came on the radio and my BH seemed to like it. allowing me to start multiball, get 2G and score the special. Well extra ball. Then some other lame o song came on and SDTM, off the Pop and SDTM. Extra ball lasting about 20secs.

I ended up with about 640,000 previous 4 games all in the under 200K range.

#110 10 years ago

That is neat an easy way to do a divide by 10 scoring scheme so that you never have to worry about roll over.

or set like everything to real low old em scoring and see if you can break 1000.

#127 10 years ago
Quoted from Hi-Fi:

I have a strange display problem with my BH. The display for the lower level does not show any "1" digits. What could be causing this? Thanks

isn't 1 a segment issue?? Never mind someone way ahead of me.

#128 10 years ago
Quoted from mof:

Where's the best place to purchase a .01" copper sheet to try out the Steve Young suggestion to prevent magnetized coil brackets?

Oh shit i didn't measure it. PM me your mail address and i'll send ya a pc.

It maybe thicker - thinner i don't know.

#129 10 years ago
Quoted from erichill:

I calibrated my flippers parallel to the biff bars this weekend and I agree, shots feel way better.

Oh so that is what you call em, learn something everyday. sounds much nicer than anti death save bars for sure.

3 weeks later
#137 10 years ago

OK cool, mr pez I guess you are ready for tourney play. Did you dethunk yours as well,seemed pretty quite.

sounds like the dr has got mof. but maybe lower pf not all connectors plugged in or you bumped relay on upper pf out of adjustment?

Had to add something.

hope mof get his chit together soon we don't want to start without him.

#139 10 years ago

check Gerry is in. what do you think 3 or 5 ball?

#143 10 years ago

OK we will have to do 5 first.

Now lets pick a time how is Sat 22 at say 8:30 pm est. / 5:30pm pt

#145 10 years ago

Black Hole Tournament

So taking" roll call " who is all here?

#147 10 years ago

Ok that one at 9:30.

#148 10 years ago

Practice till then and put switch 17 off. 5ball play.

#150 10 years ago

Oh i see how ya are. Time to help people and no time to try kicking ass. I just finished a practice 5 ball and 298510. I always seem to get the four yellow on ball 5 and although i did get multiball and an extra ball i did not fair so well.

Hope you change your mind. I have this Tournament Maker 2.1 program and it just looks like you put in everyones name and such. and it forms brackets with x2 elimination and whatnot. I have yet to really try it.

#151 10 years ago

OK well I guess it is not happening tonight. Should have done it yesterday while more guys on.

#154 10 years ago

Oh thank God i wasn't playing against you. We were in a different bracket.

#156 10 years ago

Dang if you do that on a regular basis you better just be in charge of running it so i can play.

#159 10 years ago

Like I said before, or in one of the threads. I like three ball much better. Try it out. At least you will be able to enjoy multiball a little bit more. As the only difference is pop score change from 100 to 1000 and if you get 3 yellow spot targets down and lose ball you only need to get one more down to light the upper capture as completed spots are remembered. I find usually one out of four games you can achieve multiball. Even a little more often if you play 4 players at once.

When I was very young 5 ball on EM was more standard, but almost all electronic I had ever played were always set to 3 ball. So I just stick with what I am used to.

Waiting to here you rant about getting bonus multiplier up to x5 and never going into the hole. Or getting multiball started and not getting re entry gate opened. One of the worst is getting the both gforce lit and losing ball before going into the hole. Or the live catch attempt that throws your ball through the return gate and gone. Then there are multiple SDTM angles that really suck as you see it coming from a great distance away and usually no hope to save.

The list is really longer. Can't wait for the rant!

#161 10 years ago
Quoted from Gerry:

As much fun as this will be, my BH just turned into a work bench for Hurdy gurdy,

Make sure to use big towel at least on glass. I just recently put large scratch on new glass as I placed my portable soldering station "setup" made from magazine rack on the machine and it slid down the glass. Made large 8" or so scratch that is pretty deep. I will go out of my way now not to use as workbench.

#162 10 years ago

Yeah I can remember a long time ago that once or twice the ball draining from right tube shot would swing all the way around and get back in play from the left side. Has not happened in a long time but was a pretty good wow moment when it happened. Also the rare ball screaming around and jumping over your flipper will get ya mad as hell.

#166 10 years ago

Nice score, now i know another guy whom cheats or has loose legs and loose tilt.

From my memory F14 was a super fast machine. I have not played in forever but remember tuff even when younger.

#175 10 years ago

I just mentioned it in last order. Funny about a week ago he had em and i just dragged feet a little bit. Send me the parts Ed I'll put it together myself.

#177 10 years ago

I would love to! I may not get much work done though as it seems you have a bunch of games that I have never played.

#180 10 years ago

No, Ed saw the need, spent the time and had the boards made. I would just rather support him a little than making something on proto board. Yeah, fairly easy to do but would likely take a few hours or more to solder and look well still like Sh$T in the end. I can wait.

Quoted from erichill:

Has anyone tried to make one with perf board?

To answer your question I am sure ED has.

#182 10 years ago

I knew what you meant. Fun, nope don't see it. Maybe goofing with blinky leds or adding sound calls but an adapter board for an IC. That would be self inflicted pain in the arse. I would not even want to do for solder practice. But maybe wire wrap practice? I take all that back, I am going to make one.

1 week later
#197 10 years ago

Well I know that it is much easier to level and stay leveled if the Tnuts are installed very tight, maybe even anchored with another screw. I tiny amount of loc tight for the window screws wouldn't hurt either.

Quoted from blownfuse:

"small mini post rubber"

there was no trimming involved? Not a lot of "backpressure"? it seems like i tried it at one time and just thought o damn i am going to break this plastic. I think i tried a couple different IC foams i did not like either.

I always though it would have been better if they did not use mounting holes from top at all and just had a thicker piece lying atop of adjustment bolts. Maybe a locking slot from underside.

#214 10 years ago

Well maybe your back short heavy barrel spring is a bit collapsed from age, all manufactures used same size but new may give you a little more space.
No pin has a washer by the shooter rod in your picture.

I bet if everyone posted a picture of the shooter tip placement they would all be the same. I don't know what your issue is?

#220 10 years ago

nice steve

Now turn score card over inquiring minds want to know.

#221 10 years ago

Yeah back in the mega arcade days it seems like most places gave just one extra ball chance. Usually close to factory recommended. I used to love when you would walk up to a machine like Flash that had 100K 300K 500K.

#225 10 years ago

Oh I guess that is not the score card to turn over. Did not read it careful enough. LOL

Please Explain the Note on bottom of card.

#227 10 years ago

Oh right, got it. thank you

#228 10 years ago

i was testing my displays today. DSC00143.JPGDSC00143.JPG
I know the arcade guys shoot for it.
Does this count in pinball too?

#231 10 years ago

Awe Steve ya gave it away to fast.

Yeah thanks Steve it is way to cool!! now to find a display or two. Someday.

Here is my new highscore since the change.
DSC00144.JPGDSC00144.JPG

and it only took me this many balls.
DSC00145.JPGDSC00145.JPG

Hey Steve ! just thought of this.

#239 10 years ago

That is really good, especially if you have the 5ball setting. But 5 plus 2 for replay scores and maybe you earn one playing now your up to 8 balls or more. Playing at a party with 4 people that game would take over an hour and a half. *figure a 3min ball time and 4 descent players*

I still think you should be giving 3 ball a try. LOL

So ya closed the 80hour shop job. Good thread Btw. now it is "Bally" never had an electronic Bally. Good luck

Steve if I keep my eye out for one or two displays what would i expect to pay for each one? There was an ebay with NOS just glass 20 a piece the guy had 4.

1 week later
#244 10 years ago

So after Mof asked about replay score adjusting, i got to thinking, i had never had a extra ball due to score ever. ??
i decided to look into and try it out. I tried everything nothing seemed to work.
Well guess what. switch 21 was dead all other switches fine. So yes i could win a free game setting 300K or whatever but had never one free ball from score in over 10years. Replaced switch bank and now this machine owes me a freebie once in a while. so my machine was 99.9% working all these years.

#249 10 years ago

yes 313 bulbs for the lower lighting they run at 24V. Easy way to change look for it in pinwiki. pretty sure it shows exactly what you need to do to change to the 6V circuit.

#253 10 years ago
Quoted from mof:

I removed all of mine, and rely on the plastic GI, and imo looks MUCH better.
-mof

Well that is even easier. Have to give it a try.

Steve, not sure I would used 1/4watt resistors.
24V supply minus say 2.2Vdiode voltage would be 21.8 across the resistor. P=VI 21.8(.020)=.436 W or 1000 x .020sq=.400 W
you may have meant 1/2 watt. Typo?

#256 10 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

I converted mine to 6v and stuck slow color-changers

Yeah i saw that did not care for i don't think, hard to tell from video i guess. If they all changed color at the same time maybe but even then i don't know if i would care for that look. it would seem to me that the tinted window would muddy the effect also.

Steve, I thought about your mod and unless you put in something like 12V leds or something else. wouldn't it be much more work/cost/parts/time than the other way?? I don't know, but isn't the other way real easy? change to 6V and buy the led(s).

Anyone, What LED do you guys put in for pop bumpers? I have seen some that have 5 surface mount led or more.

Which may be to bright for pops but a good option for the 313 replacements.

#266 10 years ago

As far a the dip switches. Yeah they do go bad. you will need to remove the board as the easiest way to test is with a meter on back side. I would mark all switch setting on paper first then move all switches off and test make sure all open, then turn all switches on and make sure all working. I just had switch dead and on would not work (the more likely fail mode) but because i could never earn an extra ball by reaching replay score level only extra credit had it like that for 10years and never knew it.

Do you know what Rom version you are running? I had version 2 never had a problem i recently put in 4 still no problem but that capture ball thing may have been an issue fixed with a different version.
You are saying that due to un reliable kick out that if you drain with ball in capture that if not kicked out on the first attempt that it just sits there and makes you open up or power cycle the game. I will check with my game never seen that issue.

Good luck with sound/speach board. The audio stuff is a bit harder than other boards. I could offer you info on a guy that sells newly made board for that .

#272 10 years ago

yeah the blue are nice. i see you like cw rotation as well ; )

#274 10 years ago

Wow, please take your shoes off before entering the club. Oh pic 4 looks much better. Welcome.

Still a work in progress? Game booting? pic 4 showing only GI.

#279 10 years ago

Oh my that is one of the saddest pins(in general) I have ever seen. I have seen BH on ebay parted out in much better shape. But one guy posted pictures of an F14 with like an inch of mold under PF and it cleaned up ok so it can be done.
Really the game looks to have been in a flood. Boards I could rework maybe if edge connectors are not rust. But it looks like all lamp sockets are going to be problems, you will probably have major connector problems and well dang that is going to be one huge project.

How are the backglasses?

Yeah I have been told those replacement boards from Pascal are real nice.

#286 10 years ago

No doubt I give kudos to anyone willing to try and save a game like BH. Yes my Panthera board had way to much acid damage and has been running strong for a few years now. Those boards can be reworked for sure. But if all the lamp sockets and other things need to be replaced due to rust and water damage i am seeing some big money being spent. To me it would not make financial sense.

#289 9 years ago
Quoted from Slinger:

my displays continue to go south after a few months

Not sure what you mean here.

Quoted from Slinger:

I assume I can just call Steve at PBR and say I need Black Hole display connector pins and he'll know the part number and how many he has in the bin off the top of his head.

he may just send you idc type. Ed at GPE has the ones you need i believe. You need crimpers no soldering.
I would order say 20x6 and you'll have some extras you are bound to mess up a couple or dump em and lose a couple.

try 20 off 21 on 22 off 23 off 24 on.

then go to test mode adjust 11 to 300,000 12 to 600,000 and 13 to 000,000.

you should get extra ball if you light extra ball or hit 300K and or 600K.

I just fixed my switch 21 was dead would not go on so never got an extra ball for score ever.

#292 9 years ago

Yes the inside of the dip switch is neat i should have took a picture. Easy to see after so many years that they do go bad. It is just a little piece of bent metal, almost like a ultra tiny edge connector and moving the switch to on presses it down. Yours just had maybe a tiny spec of oxidation and then after turning on a playing some games finally cleaned itself from vibrations. My switch I saw nothing real obvious but to open and look was destructive so just replaced.

#295 9 years ago
Quoted from Slinger:

Hey thanks CNKay!!! Good call on the software settings affecting my extra ball play. I was assuming the issue was on the playfield and the problem was once I turned extra ball on in the dip switches, the software had Level 1 at 30,000 and Level 2 at 60,000. No wonder I was getting an extra ball almost immediately. It is now working exactly like I wanted it to.

Steve thought me all about this. For 10years I did not even realize that it was an option. LOL my switch was broke.

Oh and the switch that failed was i believe a slider like lower picture.

1 week later
#299 9 years ago

the LS is fine for that.

Sounds like you are making great progress.

#302 9 years ago

Next time i am in my machine i will look and see if i can think of anything. Where did you get this trick from? Never heard of it. Do you have an aftermarket driver board? If you do, contact him if it has never worked correctly, there may be a problem with board.

Oh yeah the diagnostics are pretty sucky.

#305 9 years ago

very sweet, yes it is for that one really good game you have every once it a while that makes it so worth it. i still need to stumble upon a couple 7 digit displays. someday, the deal will come along, no hurry.

well that almost 1mil more than my high nice game.

#317 9 years ago

if you don't have the spinning disk it is an export version. Good call pez! if it has the spinning disk SC01.

#323 9 years ago

Nice find that is a pretty rare piece i would think. oh Steve was this the purpose of this display item?
He would know.

#326 9 years ago

DSC00187.JPGDSC00187.JPGthis is one of the thicknesses i use. the thicker you can fit the better.
DSC00188.JPGDSC00188.JPGbolt is to represent the coil stop, you get the idea. just cut a strip form around and trim as needed.

i had tried do demagnetize with no lasting luck, and if the stop is not really beat then no need to purchase a whole new bracket. it does work well.

2 months later
#352 9 years ago

There is only one rubber on Siamese post it is "I" ring gottlieb number A17493 pages 41 and 42 in manual.
Gottlieb numbers chart to inches may be on pinwiki. If you order from Steve Young he likes his part numbers.

Quoted from xrayman:

No shoot again timer?

If you mean losing your ball 10 secs after shooting into play. NOPE Black Hole has no "awe poor baby" ball save timer, your tough luck.

#354 9 years ago
Quoted from xrayman:

and set that timer to zero

????? timer ????? pascal board set???? or other?

#357 9 years ago
Quoted from xrayman:

I've got a top center pop bumper with a stiff spring that often will not fire.

Well give your self a good 2hr block of time and take it apart, remove the sandpaper "floating mylar" ring if there and install a new lamp socket and spring while you are into it. Spring may be broken, binding, or spoon switch just gummed up.

The machine gunning sound like a pop bumper driver board issue. You could swap with another pop board and see if problem follows. That is only a five minute deal.

Figured it was on wiki thanks for the link. So 7/16" for the double post.

2 months later
#442 9 years ago
Quoted from bitCurrier:

Also, when I lift the playfield, there's an awful screech sound as the wood scrapes against the metal rails.

Yeah what is the cure Dr?

#446 9 years ago

Hootowls i was kinda thinking Blownfuse would reply with some like:

BH it makes a very distinct sound when servicing sir!

thinking of Heartbreak Ridge, the AK47 line.

2 weeks later
#448 9 years ago

Sure looks like a couple of fixes ? done on mpu. I don't see the CPU to Driver A1-J4 to A3-J1. As having the doubled up ground and power wires. That is a must! You will definitely want to do all the ground mods. First then start working out other issues. Pinwiki read and do.

1 week later
#462 9 years ago
Quoted from Toyguy:

could really use a photo of what a ball sitting in the Captive hole looks like.

well here is your pictures ? i really think you just need to clean your switch with some IPA and adjust. must be making very little contact.

DSC00218.JPGDSC00218.JPGDSC00217.JPGDSC00217.JPG

#464 9 years ago

oh yeah the loose switch is even more likely than dirty. happy hunting.

#467 9 years ago

If you start to raise pf, you will see two large metal brackets those can rest on the coin door / lock bar area, and you can still open the backbox to get to the boards. I really can't tell you the last time i opened up my machine to fix anything it has been so good to me for several years. I kinda have to look for trouble. oh and change a bulb now and then. As far as the rubber not sure i can picture which one you are having trouble with the one with the white lane guide and the 10pt switch?

#469 9 years ago

Yeah that is the one i thought you meant. Are you sure it is 1". You can semi pre stretch the ring that helps. You gotta eat your Wheaties.

#471 9 years ago

yeah like Dr. blownfuse suggested get used to using your test button 18 for the switches, but before that let the solenoids go through there thing a few times to get all the ball out easily. the more you play with the diagnostics the easier it is to solve a problem when you really need it. just make sure you turn the power off before doing any under playfield work *trust me* i did a no no many years ago.

Oh and while you are over in that area anyhow if you have extra switch i can show you a somewhat easy way to add a 10pt switch to the left kicker the one that makes no sound when hit.

#474 9 years ago

Well sounds like a lot of errors. I know that B L A C K has to be done in sequence. It lights the lower accelerator. left side for black and right for hole and when both lower accelerators lit then special will light.

number 1 i would need to check but it just sounds like the right rollover is lighting when it shouldn't but is scoring ok. Not sure.

#476 9 years ago
Quoted from Toyguy:

I'm just not sure if knocking the banks down out of sequence still lights the Gravity Tunnel and 10K rollover lamps.

yes it does. it is correct. out of order black lights the 1k and hole out of order does the 10K rollover.

2 months later
#502 9 years ago

TNT states many times that only mod needed is to add one ground wire on the inter connect cable.
What do you think Steve ?

I still have original coil for kick up never a problem. And TNT also claims there was a service bulletin to put something different in ???? Stronger coil . I have never needed. I have never seen it not shoot a ball up the tube.

#513 9 years ago

Yes that sounds all to familiar. I always seem to have many games under 300k till you get a good game that is why the title is so good!

2 weeks later
#521 9 years ago

There was one pascal video of game play I saw which was nice but.i would be more interested in the diagnostic features and anything not the same as original boards

3 weeks later
#522 9 years ago

Ok BH owners here is something you can try.

Start up a game with glass off. Now take the ball in the shooter lane and drain it making sure you score no points. Now do this repeatedly and keep count. The fifth or sixth time something interesting happens. We can keep it our little secret.

#524 9 years ago

how old is the large filter cap by the 12V rectifier? Check wires going to that cap from the bridge.

#526 9 years ago

if they are orange change it.

#530 9 years ago

Sounds like you know where all the serial numbers are.
Don't think you missed a spot. Paper pencil transfer should work just fine.
I registered my serial number with maybe Peter Hall 's site which I think is now gone.
He had a real nice site. I often wonder how many BH units are left.

Spinning disc? Well when I first got game I thought it looked like the cosmonauts where coming out not going in so I switched it. I believe I have mine going opposite the chase lights so anticlockwise.

If your disc is spinning all the time I would suggest going to flippers.com website and doing john's mod.
So that the disc only spins during game play. I still have original motor thanks to Peter and John.

I think blownfuse will give me crap. But here goes.
I suggest setting up to three ball play. It is what all electronic games were set for back in the day.
And the upside and only real difference is that the yellow spot targets stay accomplished from ball to ball so you do not have to get them all down in one ball to activate the capture.

Enjoy it, a great game!

#533 9 years ago

Not looking At the schematic but I think 12v bridge goes to the power board then gets converted to the 5v for logic and controlled lamps.

I am guessing you have checked the bridges with a meter in diode check mode with power off?

I would be Almost tempted to disconnect that extra circuit and see if things change.
I have a millionaire machine with the large filter cap wire broke off so all controlled lamps were flickering a bit but the game played perfect otherwise.

Yes your cAps are not the original have been changed and look fine.

3 weeks later
#548 8 years ago

Those pull ups may already be on your machine. What were they 4.7k?? Don't remember.
But they were factory installed on my machine.

Never had a problem with my uptube kicker. I would just go with stock.

The mini post rubbers are a great idea. Another problem I noticed besides the spongy washers losing spring is tha the t nuts on the underside are often loose this makes adjusting more tricky.
The window wear is almost unavoidable I had some wear I touch up a little no extra protection. It has been lasting much longer than I tought it would. I put the sticky Mylar rings around the pops the loose ones were just a plain stupid idea.

1 week later
#553 8 years ago

Good question. No it doesn't Mine does. I added it as it should missing the sound on there is so wrong. Pm me if interested and I ll try to post a video on what I did. It has been working great for a long time.

#560 8 years ago
Quoted from Jappie:

I'm interested, absolutely. And I think that I'm not the only one in this topic. Please show us what you did!

This short video shows the way i added the switch, the easy way as that area is a mess. Enjoy!

I added the rear view mirror mod too as a bonus!
just attached with three pieces of 3M double sided sticky pads.

#562 8 years ago

Nothing a higher wattage is fine. the wattage rating is for the amount of current it can comfortably handle. 1/2 being more robust but also more expensive.

1 week later
#565 8 years ago

What happened to the rating?? I saw on the top 100 list that BH was always very even with HH yet HH was always rated higher. I never could understand ghat one. But as of a look yesterday it wasn't ever close. It isn't even in the top 100 anymore. I realize that with a lot of newer titles and LE/ pro also now taking up multiple slots. But really for years it has been in the 80ish range and HH still is but BH isn't.
Something seems wrong. Thoughts??

#572 8 years ago

As with that extra 10pt switch added to the left some 10 years ago. I have seen that extra switch as well on some of the sims. I am pretty sure the Xbox pinball hall of fame has it with that switch by the left captive. Which is NOT original. A lot of the sims also have the flippers flipping all the time on lower play field which is wrong and of the lower play field lights blinking on and off during attract. Not on the original. The sims are fun and some of the physics pretty good but they just are not the real deal.
I will say though that I had never played Totan live but knew the game halfway ok by playing sim. Well I got 2nd high or 2nd grand champion the first game I ever played on a real machine. I thought that was a grail machine but now realize it is to easy. But I still love the bonus count down.

3 weeks later
#575 8 years ago

Sys 2.5 ? Factory 7 digit wow , lucky you.
I have had a couple games that rolled the score but not many. I haven't gotten a million in a while now.

2 months later
#649 8 years ago
Quoted from erichill:

Does anyone have a good solution to pitching the incline of the lower playfield independent of the upper playfield? I love the way BH plays with the back legs jacked up high, but when the ball goes downstairs the gameplay is super slow and floaty. Any ideas?

Yeah set it up correct jacking up back high is not how game was designed. Fast does not equal better.

#652 8 years ago

Yes the gate opens and closes during attract.
If you have a lot of buzzing noise you can take apart clean and deburr it. It should be very quiet.

#655 8 years ago

I would give you a pat Steve you don't have to give em to yourself.

#657 8 years ago

I have the original set up for lower kick upI never had a problem
I never did the fancy mod.
Sometimes if it ain't broke don't fix it.

#659 8 years ago

Did you go into switch test?

Q15 on driver board thru Q5 2n5879 on lower pf

Check switch es first then q15 then q5

#660 8 years ago

Ball release is q16. Mpsu45 same as q15. You may just have a few driver board transistors out. That drives q2 on upper pf.

Did you check for proper 4.7k pull up resistors? I think some machine had 10k put in ( an error).

#663 8 years ago

Honestly three system 80 machines and only one self inflicted problem in like 10 years. Once the bugs are worked out I think they are tanks. I like the gottlieb flipper feel too.

It is still bugging me that HH is ahead in the rankings. You got to be kidding me. Come on guys start entering some ratings. My theory is that HH just changes hands more often.

#664 8 years ago

So I had to look as I couldn't remember solenoid test does not test the up kicker. But test 16 lamps test does. Ya got to give it a few seconds as it tests the under playfield relays and coin lockout it then goes and fires the both lower to upper pf and the ball serve.

Solenoid tests only do a few which are wrong in manual and I think a lot where coin counters???

The Gottlieb test modes pretty much suck.

One reason I would love to one of you guys with the Pascal boards show off the goodness!!!

#668 8 years ago

If coil burns up it had nothing to do with diode on coil. Don't know what you thought you read. If the diode on coil had failed open the back emf could cause upstream damage. If coil diode fails shorted your fuse for that coil should immediately pop as it is a dead short and coil will not even be harmed.

1N4004-1N4007 any of those will work fine for coils.

A coil burning up is almost always due to an upstream driver that failed causing coil to be on forever. Or circuit over fused or a switch stuck closed telling coil to keep on firing.

2 weeks later
#674 8 years ago

Very nice button. I just recently saw bally translucent buttons not sure if the same as Gottlieb but a bunch of colors.

2 weeks later
#684 8 years ago

Sounds like ball search. You need to have three balls in machine.

2 weeks later
#692 8 years ago
Quoted from blownfuse:

Black Hole doesn't have ball search that I'm aware of.

Oh yeah. well I feel dum! At least I got the three balls correct.

1 week later
1 week later
#708 8 years ago

Man the Pascal board sounds freaking fantastic reporting errors like that. He should really make a YouTube video showing off all the wild features he has built in them. Did you get a manual ?? Or any documents with boards? Schematic??

Quoted from northvibe:

Displays are funky though, I tried to recharge them, maybe it wasn't long enough was it was only 12v for 10 seconds.

you can try again no problem a couple times. I was using an adjustable power supply in the dark and watching that I was not over stressing filaments. I did all mine for more like 15 secs with positive on left then redid them all with positive on the right. After you get them bright it helps to power them up often. I have only noticed a dimming if off for several months. So make an effort to fire it up every week. Another reason I kind of liked the momory cap idea instead of batteries.

#711 8 years ago

There are a few large pf mounted transistors. I would test those. 2N5879 which are PNP transistors. Start by checking them with meter. Not sure about the 13 or 43 the numbers do not seem correct to me.

There are two coils of importance on lower level. A ball gate that keeps only one ball in the tube area and the tube kicker itself.

But all of mounted transistors are 2n5879 PNP.

#715 8 years ago

Yeah those are a fine substitute. Beefier.

I remember there being a service bulletin about pull up resistor value. Make sure to check. If memory correct 4.7k is what you want not 10k. When I checked mine you follow wire from transistor to diode/resistor boards. And mine was already factory correct. But definitely something to check. Measure with meter to make sure its value is good. Within 10-20% your fine.

Have fun working on the bottom pf kind of sucks. Definitely lean upper pf against head and watch where the tube rests so you don't scratch it all up.

#717 8 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

I have the gottlieb paperwork that says to update to 2N5879's and put a resister on one of the legs of the transistor.

But the resistor is on the board right so it is already done. Don't follow the picture if the resistor is on the nearby component board.

Sounds like your all good there.

I don't remember but are there any fuses mounted on lower pf. Did you check them??

#720 8 years ago

Non working switches just check wire solder connection at switch and make sure switch stack is tight. Clean with strip of 1/4" business card soaked in ipa. Just pinch and pull.

I edited above post is there lower pf mounted fuses?? Check them make sure the are good with meter.

#723 8 years ago

Yes good ole black hole HH club of America. I think most is all good stuff the star tech journal info i would not trust. ? Memory.

So if pf trans OK and pull up checked new coil and diode. Diode by the way is just a back emf voltage spike preventer. If you put on wrong as a lot of guys do it will instantly cause your fuse to blow. Banded side should always go toward the power + side so current has to travel through the coil.

So last thing just check with meter collector to ground is good. Ohm meter power off. Then power on and measure voltage across collector and coil you should have 24v.

Pascal board you still have the gottlieb driver? As that is what Q13 lamp driver board transistor drives (turns on) the lower pf transistor that you just checked. So that Q13 mpsu45 on driver board is the next part to test. Which makes sense that it is reporting that number.

#725 8 years ago

Okay I am confused I thought you still had a problem with up kicker. ?? Then you start talking making headway and lower flippers.

Try to ask for help one issue at a time. And work out only one issue at a time. Better to find problem part and replace rather than throwing all sorts of new parts at several areas. Plus you are confusing an old guy.

Ball hits switch on upper pf right before going down the metal spiral form this triggers lower pf lights and flipper power to be active. Relay L. I think??
Did that happen?
If you replaced a coil (any coil ) with diode across spade terminals. It is important which wires go where. ???

#727 8 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

Ok so up kicker.
Band is facing the orange and yellow stripe.

On schematics, it shows unbanded side goes to 233 (which is a white wire w/ red,orange,orange striping) to emitter.
Banded side 344 goes to fuse F17. White wire w/orange, yellow, yellow stripping.

It sounds like your good there.

Quoted from northvibe:

Fuse 17 still looks good.

God I hate seeing this. fuse should always be measured with ohm meter (power off) or volt meter power with power on. Very low ohms ic good or no volts. Very high ohm or high viltage if bad.
Fuses are either good or bad they don't (look,seem) OK. Thinking of Yoda now.

You have voltage from coil to ground?

#731 8 years ago

Well I just don't know ?? Issue with Pascal board I guess. Did that board ever work? I don't have any more ideas you are all good up to the cpu.

#733 8 years ago

Oh I see. Yeah put in stock first you may have issue with the new board. You can do a quick test on driver board transistors prior to power just to be on safe side. Focus on Q13. Then put all original s in lift upper pf and power up. You will get the "thunk" totally normal. But no coils should stay fired.

#738 8 years ago

Good feeling! Right on. You are on your way to rolling for sure. The trick is to be able to get multiball more often and the bonus x higher. All of which is pretty brutal to do on a regular basis. I had a little post it note with rollover scores written on it for a few years. It got old not being able to see your actual hgtd.

#739 8 years ago

Now back to northvibe. I am having a hard time thinking what could be your issue. You have ball gate and tube kicker so your ball gate switch is hit the cpu allows gate coil to fire allowing single ball into kick up tube. Kick up tube switch is hit and cpu fires a lamp driver transistor that turns on the pf mounted transistor which fires the coil.

I guess you have to put your machine in switch test mode and be 100% positive that both of those two switches report.

If they both report then some wiring issue as both original boards and Pascal are not working.

Dang, if I get a chance I'll open mine up and see if I can think of something else and take a couple pics for you.

#742 8 years ago

Nothing . you will not notice anything. Either the electronics work or they don't. The large filter caps are changed as a maintenance item to ensure AC ripple is kept as low as possible. The pop bumper driver boards TSB is to fix design flaws making them more reliable. The grounding to make things more reliable. None of it will be noticable to you. But your machine will love you for it. Once you get working 100% and do the suggested extra stuff you will likely have extremely few issues. I have really only changed rubbers twice and replaced bulbs and general cleaning in over 10 years.

Noticed in your list transistors. That is a it works or it don't item. Like a diode. It may go bad sometime and is nice to have a spare or two just in case you ever need but you may never need.

I don't mind trying to help you get it going. As long as you arent trying to flip it. That would bug me. But either way I would rather see it played than parted out. Like most guys do. And when I got mine long ago. The guys helped me out and I am always grateful so just passing on the favour.

#743 8 years ago

Oh speaking of one of the GREAT ones!!

3 weeks later
#812 8 years ago

Seems like it would have 5 large displays and one small for ball credit. It would not make sense to just replace the four player scores only. And thus still need the HV sections.

1 month later
#837 8 years ago

But you still have them on??

One of of the first things I did.
remove leaky NiCad and those damn rings.
If you are careful with exacto knife you don't even need to take pop out. But I would just to clean easier.

2 weeks later
#850 8 years ago

??? Luck. I don't think so at all. But I have moved flipper position at few times. A 1/8" either way can make a huge difference and make shots easier or harder. This is upper currently.

IMG_20160117_131249343_(resized).jpgIMG_20160117_131249343_(resized).jpg

#853 8 years ago

Agree with Steve's game play strategy. I only wish like a ton of the early games that extra balls earned were banked. As I seem to get an extra ball with score during the same extra ball via pf rollunder. Win two extra balls only counting as one then quickly drain. I still can't constantly score that great. Lots of near million games but still plenty of 200k or less. I just took out my super cap and put in NVram. So my 2.2mil is gone from the memory. So time to get something descent on there again. Oh and if I remember correctly I had about 1400 games on it since putting in memory cap a couple years back. I am getting my money's worth out of this title for sure!!

#858 8 years ago

That stuff imo means nothing. And a lot of flyers not correct as proto machine picture in flyer. Like flash flyer shows red drops i believe and never seen a machine with red. Always blue. My BH machine has chrome legs with all chrome speed nuts. All boards original with matching serial numbers as well. Which is what some may look for but I don't think it matters much. A circuit is a circuit. Now aftermarket board that is a different story.

#862 8 years ago

i deleted do to mistake, thank you blondetall for the help.

#863 8 years ago

my black hole and panthera both have smooth legs. BH2 (big house) has ribbed and so does my Big Guns. So in my mind a later improved style leg?? Leg bolts are always acorn heads. Stronger with ribbed sounds logically correct to me. Correct for BH i don't know either but mine are smooth.

3 weeks later
#892 8 years ago

I hope Dave from wolfpac makes them. He is way more reasonable on price. I did request. He made the Bally display at over half of what other crooks charge.

I have been finding the 7 digit displays not super easy to find and then when you do pretty price for used parts.

2 weeks later
#932 8 years ago

Warlok you stream too? Oh man tonight there were like 5 plus Pinball streams going on:
Buffalopinball, Stashkid13,paulyb18, deadflip.
Post on here your channel name so I can check it out as well.

Steve I gotcha covered with BOS98. Always busy with PAGG. Anything special planned this year?

#935 8 years ago

PM me email I think I can help you.

#944 8 years ago
Quoted from pinster68:

Solved m :thinking:y ball hang up issues on the lower playfield by modifying a Cliffy

I have seen modded Cliffy on BH somewhere before?

1 month later
#989 8 years ago

So I could have had the greatest game ever I guess I will never know.

Yesterday had a game of 1.22million. I was happy, since putting in NVram my new highest.

Today I went to play a few games while watching the PAPA finals.
On my first few games OK but nothing special and no multiball. Then I pull up a stool and start playing. By the end of first ball 871k with two multiballs played and two extra balls earned (of course only one counts) but anyhow 871k at start of 2nd ball and just about to flip... to start another multiball and the flipper died games goes dark and ball drains.

Scratching my head?? Wtf???

Yup my knee bumped the start button.
The ball drained and new game started.
Oh well, i will never to know what that final score would be.

1 month later
#1033 7 years ago

Just played a couple times today. Nice when you crack the million mark.
I ended with 1,020,710

High with new NV ram is 1,225,910.

Only one multiball but it lasted a while with x5 bonus. Party on!!

1 month later
#1042 7 years ago

I couldn't make out the score and you had a great game going. Then you cliff hanger the final score not nice.

Love the 360 cams set ups myself. A great way to watch this game.

1 month later
#1044 7 years ago

I finally made a trade for some 7 digit displays! The boards where pretty nasty hope it works out. But if your interested I will be showing the change over on you tube.

The first videos are of re tining edge connector pads. It may be worth your time. If it is give me the ol thumbs up!

3 weeks later
#1052 7 years ago

Sorry can't help one of the downsides of the aftermarket boards.

1 week later
#1054 7 years ago

I have not tried it yet but some smart phones have color grab app to generate the Pantone color. May be worth a shot.

3 weeks later
#1062 7 years ago

How should I answer this? He didn't even care Black Hole was talking way more.

It's my mod I created PM me if you would like one. Although I don't think I have any pre made at this time. I wish I got more support when I was first trying to sell these and thought it was great!

Or you can make your own using.
https://www.adafruit.com/product/1463

I know one of the early ones I sold at a loss never even got put into a machine.

1 week later
#1065 7 years ago

You can compare to a simulation game like the pinball arcade or take a video of multiball and post it here. Congtats on getting it going one of the harder multiballs to start for sure. My one brother in law has never gotten it.
Oh and in 5 ball yellow spot targets are not remembered and in 3 ball made yellow spots are remembered. So in 3 ball you have a little bit more of a chance.

3 months later
#1154 7 years ago
Quoted from MrArt2u:

Once I find a small transformer to replace the one someone scavenged off of my game I'll be able to properly decide how far I want to fall into this rabbit, er, BLACK HOLE!

Welcome to the gang! I have noticed over the years way to many machines getting parted out on eBay. Sound like your transformer was grabbed to save a different machine.

I would try TNT amusements or other larger guys like LTG they may have a transformer.

I just finished board work for another pinsider free play and NVram so if you need any work done let me know.

I did the seven digit mod a nice long evening project. Need some courage for that one.

#1155 7 years ago

I sure could use plastics I want a new set for my birthday but ....Many of mine are now chipped

3 weeks later
#1242 7 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

Doesn't really make sense that the speech works in attract, tho...

I am pretty sure that attract mode speech will still come on even with no mpu in game.

I would check the two connections left of the 40 pin innerconnect. Along the bottom of CPU.

3 weeks later
#1264 7 years ago

Issue 1 sounds like the relay is not being engaged. Not sure which one it is off hand but in applies power to flippers and lights. I believe sometimes the relay if bumped can become seized. Check the relays move easily and inspect wiring.
Remember the stadium lights are 313 type much higher voltage than any normal pf 44/47 lamp.

2. Edge connector s so no cold solder joints. Do not remove player 4 or any display connector with power on you will damage mpu.

3. Rebuild unless you don't feel comfortable doing so or don't mind spending the money.
Side note if you get new ones I'll be happy to take them.

4. I'll be doing mine in a month or so. But several guys recently have done so they can report. I saw one I think TNT video ?? But the disc was spinning pretty damn fast. I don't know how I feel about that.

#1282 7 years ago

The resistor mod if you look closely is just a change in value. Some early units shipped with wrong value. So follow the base wire over to nearby resistor board if it's 4.7k yellow violet red your All done. If it's 10k change to the above value. The offical technical bulletin shows adding a resistor value in line with base wire which is misleading as you are not increasing the value but decreasing it.

3 weeks later
#1316 6 years ago
Quoted from Mizzou0103:

How difficult is a Black Hole to keep up and running?

it depends if you have a barn find thats never been modded could be very hard to someone new. if you have a machine thats been grounded, pop bumper boards modded, de thunked, new disc motor, nv ram etc you will have no more issue than any other pin out there.

if things arent addressed correctly you will keep fighting with problems. i have had one for many years and no real issues except cleaning, lamps and rings.

#1318 6 years ago

If you add BH to your profile page wishlist you get notified of any marketplace ads associated with that title automatically​.

1 month later
#1354 6 years ago

Looks like a flood victim and then some. Ouch
Not sure what to think with that transformer.

#1366 6 years ago

Nicely done! And you have it spinning the way I like it. Chase lamps CW, spinning disc CCW.

I guess it's been a debate for years.

3 months later
#1411 6 years ago

On the left kicker does it have sound effects or score any points?

I have noticed on some simulations that they do, original does not have it, so i don't know if that score counts.

5 months later
#1468 6 years ago

I would check and make sure the lower pf is pushed all the way back into it's proper position. You may need to lift back of lower pf s tiny bit while pushing it toward the rear.

I am guessing your gravity tunnel feed spring is hitting .

#1472 6 years ago

Oh I can't remember those metal rails. Good call, and as Per mentioned it's like that gravity spring feed tube.

Deoxit is wonderful stuff but it is so expensive I usually don't use on switches. I do use on the Williams horseshoe drops however.
But it leaves an oily flim that doesn't evaporate so I my mind it's just going to attract more solenoid dust and get crappy quicker.

I just use qtips, strips of business card and IPA.

Soak a 1/4 " piece of card in IPA for a couple seconds insert between contacts press together lightly and pull the card out. Qtips dry after to buff the contact and or wet to clean the whole length of the blade.

Deoxit is really good for things like the mating connectors with the round molex pins. And I actually ran a test on a couple funky lamp sockets. Ohm meter hooked up and reading high K ohms sprayed some D5 and actually watch ohm reading fall fairly quickly down to a low ohms reading of single digits. So yeah good stuff.

Glad to here another BH back in action.

It's so weird it's been so long ago that I picked my 100% dead BH project up and it is still my favorite game, and having very few issues.

#1476 6 years ago

If in doubt just order both, I ordered from PBR and the kit seemed perfect. I also ordered from titan and that kit was fine from what I remember.

#1478 6 years ago

Oh I see, I'll pm you.

#1485 6 years ago

For the display issues check and clean j2 j3 on mpu. Burnish pcb pads and inspection of connector leafs.

Check pinwiki for the correct ic for segment issue on mpu.

6 months later
#1594 5 years ago

A must watch top ten list.

Screw the haters!

3 months later
#1659 5 years ago

There are two pots on upper right area of sound board. One is for the speech volume.

Turn up your main volume pot near coin door first (fairly loud) then adjust the sound and speech to your liking and no distortion.

The two 10 turn sealed pots on lower right area are for voice frequency and ?? Don't remember. You may have to adjust if it sounds drunk and slow or like Mickey mouse.

An oscilloscope on adjustments does help. But your ear can do the basic ones just fine.

1 month later
#1688 5 years ago

I saw a guy streaming the other day with a powerball type ball he called a speed ball. He was playing a joker poker. After playing a few games I asked him to swap it out and use a normal steel ball, he definitely said steel ball was slower or not as much fun as his speed ball. Which got me thinkin... From our chat it seemed like he ordered from mezel mods flouresent glo balls?? He wasn't sure but he said it sounded right. So I would like to know if anyone has tried in Black Hole or any other multiball game. I may try one out in my panthera single widebody is a tad slow. I know my BH isn't slow but faster maybe even better. Thoughts?

1 month later
#1722 5 years ago

Original motor is 6.5 rpm

My buddy just made me a 3D printed plastic coupler for newer more common ones with larger shaft. Yeah a hardware store really Frigged mine up. Anyhow i mentioned making clear so light able to get to entire disc so I will be trying that out sometime soon.

3 weeks later
#1726 5 years ago

Power supply board? Pi-80 is that replacing mpu and driver ?
6 boards is what I remember
Power for 5v logic, and display HV
MPU
driver
Sound
Sound power
And auxiliary lamp chase

#1728 5 years ago

Have you talked to Pascal ? There may be an all in one board, if my memory is correct.

I am thinking all but the chase board.

7 months later
#1807 4 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

WHAT??? No, no, no, no... this is a three ball game. Don't put on training wheels!

Two upvotes?? I don't get it??

5 ball is definitely harder

And back in the day this particular game was usually set to five as it was taking 50¢ from you. Of course 5 balls for 50¢ seems better than 3 balls right? LOL it just wasn't so

#1812 4 years ago

I always wondered what the large hole was for, and yes that corner not being lit was a big mistake in my opinion.
Good modification now as most guys are switching to LED and don't have to worry much about the extra current draw with adding lamps.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 83.00
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts

$ 8.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider CNKay.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/black-hole-club-members-only?tu=CNKay and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.