IMG_3287 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7439 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240103_220434164.jpg
IMG_5107 (resized).jpeg
PXL_20231029_054015295 (resized).jpg
PXL_20231029_053936841 (resized).jpg
PXL_20231029_053945558 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

6 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 3,291 posts in this topic. You are on page 45 of 66.
#2201 2 years ago
Quoted from Mad_Dog_Coin_Op:

I’m pretty good with OEM Gottlieb stuff. Inserting the aftermarket board pretty much takes me out of the game. The LISY board seems to have a very simplistic design. Maybe the kill switch on the door or playfield is still an issue. Have you tried to jumped them closed. OEM boards won’t start a game if those two switches are open.

What kill switch? say more!

#2202 2 years ago

I believe the LISY free play is not as you would intuitively think. You have to press and hold the start button for a few seconds. It's then supposed to add a credit then start a game, or something like that.
Its not just "free play" and go.

Jeff

#2203 2 years ago

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/diy-lisy-a-replacement-mpu-for-gottlieb-bally-amp-stern/page/10#post-6260869 is the active lisy thread.

They also have a dip switch to disable the slam switches which you should probably have on just in case.

The easiest way to debug this would be to get on the lisy wifi and then use its web switch test to make sure your switched all work

#2204 2 years ago
Quoted from Bospins:

What kill switch? say more!

On the coin door there is a slam switch. Gottlieb’s need to be closed while others do open. Jumper that closed and see if that helps.

#2205 2 years ago

thanks for the help guys. I've done all you've said already after reading the LISY docs, but have not yet set up the web based diag tool yet. i'll do that tonight and see if that provides any insight.

#2206 2 years ago

I am working on my sound board and want to make a backup of my ROMs before messing with it. I have a ROM burner and extra chips (have burned ROMs before) Does anyone know a procedure to get the data off the original ROMs? Or is there an easier way? Seems no downloads are available due to copyright.

#2207 2 years ago

Just for reference: in a recent post I made about the lower pf randomly "shutting down" mid-game. Adjusting the gap for the lower outhole and trough switches a bit wider indeed seems to have fixed it (they were apparently vibrating closed intermittenly, making the game think the ball had drained). I'm glad it was that simple after all!

#2208 2 years ago

Parts - For Sale
Used, good condition - “For sale: BH lower playfield. Not sure of the history, but it’s in excellent shape. Someone cleared it... has a nice, glassy, surface. Not perfect, but excellent condition. A...”
2021-05-06
Gaithersburg, MD
210 (OBO)
Archived after: 136 days
Viewed: 332 times

#2209 2 years ago

I'm driving from DC to Richmond, VA this afternoon... if anyone is interested in this playfield, could meet along the route.

#2210 2 years ago

As per the Pinwiki recommendation that the tube upkicker 6 & 1/4 fuse be changed to 2 & 1/2, I made that change a couple of weeks ago and today it blew. Though I do have a Williams coil in mine that by the coil windings is only slightly more powerful than the original Gtb one, I've never had any issue with the kicker before in 20 years. Have never even blown any fuse in the game before. So just a note that 2 1/2 might be borderline if using the original coil or little bit stronger one. On the copy of the schematics I downloaded, whoever had scribbled things on it here and there seemed like perhaps they had the same issue. Original '6 1/4' is crossed out and they wrote '2 1/2', then crossed that out and made it '5'. I've replaced the blown one with a 4 amp to split the difference. I didn't have any 3 amp fuses but maybe one of those would "make it".

Perhaps it is related to which under-pf driver transistor is installed. Gottlieb recommended changing 2N5875s to 2N5879s for early-run BHs but with no explanation. All three of my under pf transistors are MJ15016s and my serial number is within their range where it would have the 2N5875s. But I've never had to replace any of them and can't really find what the equivalency is between the 2Ns and the MJ.

183243055_477361359982264_4319987891811559207_n (resized).png183243055_477361359982264_4319987891811559207_n (resized).png

#2211 2 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

Parts - For Sale

FS: Black Hole Lower Playfield

Used, good condition “For sale: BH lower playfield. Not sure of the history, but it’s in excellent shape. Someone cleared it... has a nice, glassy, surface. Not perfect, but excellent condition.

A...”

210 (OBO)

Mark sale pending
Edit ad
End ad listing

Price drop

#2212 2 years ago

Hey guys I recently picked up a BH and wanted some feedback on rubber colours. I’m thinking of either blue or black. Does anyone have pics of their BH’s with different colour rubbers? Thanks

#2213 2 years ago
Quoted from Clintonian:

Hey guys I recently picked up a BH and wanted some feedback on rubber colours. I’m thinking of either blue or black. Does anyone have pics of their BH’s with different colour rubbers? Thanks

I would avoid doing any color rubbers. The orange ones that most people install looks cheesy as all get out, and there is already enough blue on the playfield to warrant blue rubbers. Black ones are great, but even black Titans still get the PF dirtier than it needs.

I highly recommend the clear Titan rubbers for this theme. They look great, help out with the general GI of the game (as they are slightly translucent) and then go crazy with your flipper rubber color as an accent.

Just my two cents from someone who has a BFA with a speciality in color science (albeit in light and not pigment but you get the gist).

#2214 2 years ago

It was originally built with white rings made out of regular rubber so that's what I put on mine. I'm weird that way.

#2215 2 years ago

Nothing weird about that at all. Currently that's what I have on my Black Hole because I'm waiting to get the rest of my PF parts in line before I do another re-shop of it now that I know what I'm doing.

#2216 2 years ago

Having seen a lot of black holes, white or transparent look best imo

#2217 2 years ago
Quoted from frenchmarky:

It was originally built with white rings made out of regular rubber so that's what I put on mine. I'm weird that way.

And at the time it was made the only colors available were white or black and only regular rubber....

Doesn't mean they wouldn't have if they could have. Ive been thinking about experimenting with the glow rubbers and some UV bulbs. Think it might look cool.

#2218 2 years ago

What about other cosmetic mods? Specifically, I’d like to make something happen lightwise with the tube when the ball is coming up from the lower playfield. Anybody do anything like that?

#2219 2 years ago
Quoted from Xtraball:

What about other cosmetic mods? Specifically, I’d like to make something happen lightwise with the tube when the ball is coming up from the lower playfield. Anybody do anything like that?

I've seen someone who hooked up blue and red lights to shine along the tube and illuminate it, tied on to the gate relay so it'd be red if you were gonna drain

#2220 2 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

I've seen someone who hooked up blue and red lights to shine along the tube and illuminate it, tied on to the gate relay so it'd be red if you were gonna drain

I've seen the lit tubes before but never heard about having it change colors for status, good idea. But I'd go with green and red. Does the light have to shine into the edge of the bottom of the tube for it to work?

#2221 2 years ago

Ok I’m in! What’s needed, where do I get the supplies and how do you do it?

#2222 2 years ago

You could just add the lamp wires for the two colored LEDs to the switch lugs on the gate relay as mentioned, it already alternates the two yellow arrow lamps down there. I'm thinking you might need to mount the two LEDs on the lower playfield to point at the bottom of the tube for the fiberoptic effect, but maybe just mounting the LEDs under the main playfield close by the gate there at a high angle towards the top of the tube might work? If it did it would save running the long wires down below.

#2223 2 years ago
Quoted from radial_head:

I would avoid doing any color rubbers. The orange ones that most people install looks cheesy as all get out, and there is already enough blue on the playfield to warrant blue rubbers. Black ones are great, but even black Titans still get the PF dirtier than it needs.
I highly recommend the clear Titan rubbers for this theme. They look great, help out with the general GI of the game (as they are slightly translucent) and then go crazy with your flipper rubber color as an accent.
Just my two cents from someone who has a BFA with a speciality in color science (albeit in light and not pigment but you get the gist).

Thanks for the advice! Never even thought about doing clear. I’m sure I’ll try out some different varieties before I find my favourite

#2224 2 years ago

I have white on mine. With black silicone acorn nuts holding plastics on.

#2225 2 years ago
Quoted from BrewNinja:

And at the time it was made the only colors available were white or black and only regular rubber....
Doesn't mean they wouldn't have if they could have. Ive been thinking about experimenting with the glow rubbers and some UV bulbs. Think it might look cool.

And now we do have color rubbers available and what do 98% of games that come off the line with?

White or black.

#2226 2 years ago
Quoted from radial_head:

I would avoid doing any color rubbers. The orange ones that most people install looks cheesy as all get out

If there was a poll for "What color looks the most ridiculous and out of place on Black Hole?" I would definitely vote for Cheetos Orange. If I put those on my game the MPU board would try to commit suicide.

#2227 2 years ago
Quoted from frenchmarky:

If I put those on my game the MPU board would try to commit suicide.

Might do that regardless of what color rubbers you put on it.

#2228 2 years ago

Satanic Red could work for color if only because this game is pure evil - especially when the right gate flicks your ball out toward its death.

#2229 2 years ago
Quoted from goingincirclez:

Satanic Red could work for color if only because this game is pure evil - especially when the right gate flicks your ball out toward its death.

I hate when that happens. Somebody could probably come up with a 'fix' that would lock the gate when it's activated. Boost up the relay magnet as much as one could given it's powered by a lamp circuit, or something else.. but it wouldn't be the same. XD

#2230 2 years ago
Quoted from frenchmarky:

Somebody could probably come up with a 'fix' that would lock the gate when it's activated.

You'd need a way to sense that the gate was closed and then was opened. At least when it happens you learn to not hold the flipper up like that again.

There are unused switches that could be wired in to sense this and the software changed - could activate it on a timer and then close it again. Heck probably don't even need to mod the software, could come up with a pop bumper driver board mod to do it, gate opens itself, pop bumper 'fires' the gate solenoid for whatever time you hardwire onto it, then kills the alternate ground provided by the pbdb. If the gate is supposed to be open it wouldn't make a bit of difference since the pbdb is a one-shot deal, and the gate solenoid wouldn't burn out anyway.

Not sure how the game open gate activation would affect it though, since it's driven by the lamp driver instead of the killed solenoid circuit on the game over relay.

#2231 2 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

At least when it happens you learn to not hold the flipper up like that again.

Sadly...It seems I cannot learn this... always forgetting or hoping for a different outcome. insanity.

#2232 2 years ago

If the wireform gate were only about 1/4" longer, the ball could still push it open but it wouldn't be able to slip between it and the tube exit gate. So that would be a fix, solder a little extension onto the end of the gate. Or removing the right screw on the tube exit gate and rotating that end down the side rail about a half inch, or repositioning the whole gate down a half inch, that would stop it too.
Or since the tube exit gate is just a single piece of wire and it would be pretty easy to make one, make a new longer one that extends another 1/2" down the channel, bent upward a little where it rests at the bracket so the end where the the balls hit it is still at the correct height.
That is if somebody just can't live with it, but I can. Even if Gottlieb didn't do this on purpose it's fun to think they did

cc5a94f074dfeb9a36dbd547b4daeecb23d3406d (resized).jpgcc5a94f074dfeb9a36dbd547b4daeecb23d3406d (resized).jpg
#2233 2 years ago
Quoted from frenchmarky:

If the wireform gate were only about 1/4" longer, the ball could still push it open but it wouldn't be able to slip between it and the tube exit gate.

Clever!

#2234 2 years ago

I dunno, I always assumed it was purposely designed that way. Seems bad juju to even think about taking it out

#2235 2 years ago

I'm more frustrated when I've earned that gate open (& when coming back up from the lower field) I get a gate jumper that drains.
I also get some that jump when the gate is closed...so...I guess I can't complain.

#2236 2 years ago
Quoted from REGNE:

I'm more frustrated when I've earned that gate open (& when coming back up from the lower field) I get a gate jumper that drains.
I also get some that jump when the gate is closed...so...I guess I can't complain.

Sounds like your getting too much of a kick. The flipper coil + EOS kicker modification solves that issue nicely.

(Or your tube might be sitting a tad low and the ball jumps up on the lip of the playfield.)

#2237 2 years ago
Quoted from REGNE:

I'm more frustrated when I've earned that gate open (& when coming back up from the lower field) I get a gate jumper that drains.I also get some that jump when the gate is closed...so...I guess I can't complain.

Make sure you have the correct coil on the kicker, or at least one that is not wound stronger. You can tweak the bracket with the rubber stop on it forward a little too or put a taller rubber stop on it to reduce the stroke a little. Mine is strong and makes it up 100% of the time but has never hopped the gate.

#2238 2 years ago
Quoted from REGNE:

Email cliffy and ask for Steve's Black hole kicker bracket. It's not on the website, but he makes them. It adds an EOS switch and you add a regular flipper coil to it so you can adjust the strength. Mine used to do the same thing till I added taht.

#2239 2 years ago

Has anyone made some custom rule cards and free play cards for Black Hole?

#2240 2 years ago

Hey guys just checking to see if anyone has had this issue before. When the ball goes to the lower Playfield the flippers are dead, lights are out, there’s a strange persistent sound, and the relay under the lower Playfield clicks like 3 or 4 times. The ball gets sent back up to the top Playfield and all is well again.

#2241 2 years ago
Quoted from Clintonian:

Hey guys just checking to see if anyone has had this issue before. When the ball goes to the lower Playfield the flippers are dead, lights are out, there’s a strange persistent sound, and the relay under the lower Playfield clicks like 3 or 4 times. The ball gets sent back up to the top Playfield and all is well again.

Which flippers are dead - the top or bottom ones ?
And is it the bottom lights or top lights that are out ?

#2242 2 years ago
Quoted from Zigzagzag:

Which flippers are dead - the top or bottom ones ?
And is it the bottom lights or top lights that are out ?

The lower Playfield flippers and lower Playfield GI lights

#2243 2 years ago
Quoted from Clintonian:

The lower Playfield flippers and lower Playfield GI lights

If the rollover switch at the back of the spinner lane doesn't register, the ball will just drop down there without activating the lower flippers or lower lights and will be kicked back up, as you are seeing. Try activating that switch by hand and see if it is working or just needs cleaning. However the persistent sound and relay clicking sound strange so maybe that isn't the problem. There will be various things clicking between when the ball drains into the lower pf trough and is eventually kicked back up.

What does the 'persistent sound' actually sound like, the background sound or the lower pf 'blowing wind' sound or (?)

When ball enters lower pf, do the upper playfield lights turn off like they are supposed to?

#2244 2 years ago

Finally got her working pretty well.

20210529_135459 (resized).jpg20210529_135459 (resized).jpg
#2245 2 years ago
Quoted from frenchmarky:

If the rollover switch at the back of the spinner lane doesn't register, the ball will just drop down there without activating the lower flippers or lower lights and will be kicked back up, as you are seeing. Try activating that switch by hand and see if it is working or just needs cleaning. However the persistent sound and relay clicking sound strange so maybe that isn't the problem. There will be various things clicking between when the ball drains into the lower pf trough and is eventually kicked back up.
What does the 'persistent sound' actually sound like, the background sound or the lower pf 'blowing wind' sound or (?)
When ball enters lower pf, do the upper playfield lights turn off like they are supposed to?

The sound starts as almost static then changes to another sound shortly after. I’ve removed the lower Playfield and it still occurs.

#2246 2 years ago
Quoted from Clintonian:

The sound starts as almost static then changes to another sound shortly after. I’ve removed the lower Playfield and it still occurs.

So I cleaned and adjusted the L relay again and now the lower Playfield lights cycle on and off as they should in attract mode. When the ball goes downstairs the same strange noise occurs, and only one flipper works...getting closer.

#2247 2 years ago
Quoted from Clintonian:

So I cleaned and adjusted the L relay again and now the lower Playfield lights cycle on and off as they should in attract mode. When the ball goes downstairs the same strange noise occurs, and only one flipper works...getting closer.

As far as sounds go...have you tried cleaning & reseating the connector on the sound board? I recently had a similar issue on Haunted House where it suddenly began playing the wrong sounds and it was just a dirty connector.

#2248 2 years ago

If there are removable eproms on the board. Take them out & clean the legs.

#2249 2 years ago

has Anyone here sent their BH to HEP for a restore?

#2250 2 years ago
Quoted from DuffysArcade:

As far as sounds go...have you tried cleaning & reseating the connector on the sound board? I recently had a similar issue on Haunted House where it suddenly began playing the wrong sounds and it was just a dirty connector.

Yeah I’ve re-pinned the connectors and cleaned the contacts. Everything works now minus the strange sound that occurs.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 3,291 posts in this topic. You are on page 45 of 66.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/black-hole-club-members-only/page/45?hl=clintonian and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.