Topic Stats

• 2,069 posts
  • 211 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 day ago by Mad_Dog_Coin_Op
  • Topic is favorited by 109 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 435 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

80F91605-DC6F-40FF-BFC3-CEA9283AB8D3 (resized).jpeg
196A7B0D-0C87-41B1-B321-ACD540D2588D (resized).jpeg
ballgate (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
qwerqwsdfsdfserqert (resized).jpg
Spinner Mod (resized).png
Screen Shot 2021-01-31 at 12.51.53 PM (resized).png
141670169_1841714435983837_6780158749633686240_n (resized).jpg
8C1C1922-EFDD-4F0B-8D5A-0290129655E8 (resized).jpeg
20201120_123220_1.gif
20201023_185335 (resized).jpg
6D33C1B4-99D5-4DCC-A5F6-107ABF478A48 (resized).png
3128F18E-AC99-4F98-8E61-237F77895930 (resized).jpeg
107107279_3251228911621348_5788038916088882976_n (resized).jpg
IMG_20200418_170635 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200418_170708 (resized).jpg

There are 2069 posts in this topic. You are on page 42 of 42.
#2051 9 days ago

Hey guys, finally got the tube kicker working. Had to replace the 2N transistor and had a bad diode on the coil. `Now the issue is that the ball only goes half way up the tube. I checked the voltage and I have 24v at the coil. Any suggestions?

#2052 9 days ago

What coil # do you have installed in the upkicker? What ohms does it measure now?

Original coil was gtb a-4893, 22 gauge, 535 turns.
Substitutable is Gtb A-1496 23 gauge, 635 turns, a little bit weaker.
Mine has a Williams G23-600, kick never fails.

Make sure the two little strips are still on the tube that the ball rides along as it is shot, and that ball is not hitting the edge of the tube because of the tube being misaligned.

#2053 8 days ago

A-16570 @ 15 ohms. Pretty sure my manual says this is the correct coil for the tube kicker.

Tabs on the tube and the mech has smooth operation.

#2054 8 days ago

I realize there's numerous solutions to the tube-kicker problem...in my case i bought an end of stroke switch bracket from Cliffy that's designed for this application. It allows you to install a flipper coil instead of a regular coil there, and you can adjust the strength of the coil using the end of stroke switch (open sooner for weaker, open later for stronger). It took a bit of tinkering to get it just right, but it's been good ever since. Might be worth considering if the other suggestions don't pan out.

#2055 8 days ago
Quoted from RGarriott:

A-16570 @ 15 ohms. Pretty sure my manual says this is the correct coil for the tube kicker.
Tabs a on the tube and the mech has smooth operation.

The manual list is a bit ambiguous. A-16570 is specified for 'outhole' and 'hole kicker', i.e. one of the two ball lock holes, not the upkicker.

A-4893 listed as 'ball kicker' is for the upkicker (one that makes most sense in the list anyway and is what everyone seems to use, or they substitute the similar a-1496 which is slightly weaker (it's used for the kicking rubbers), so either of those two would be the ones to use. The a-16570 coils in the lock hole kicker and the outhole would likely be pretty whimpy if used for the upkicker, a-16570 is 15 ohms, a-4893 is only 2.

My Williams coil G-23-600 is similar to the 4893/1496 and it has never failed once in getting the ball up there with ease.

#2056 8 days ago
Quoted from frunch:

I realize there's numerous solutions to the tube-kicker problem...in my case i bought an end of stroke switch bracket from Cliffy that's designed for this application. It allows you to install a flipper coil instead of a regular coil there, and you can adjust the strength of the coil using the end of stroke switch (open sooner for weaker, open later for stronger). It took a bit of tinkering to get it just right, but it's been good ever since. Might be worth considering if the other suggestions don't pan out.

This is truly a great solution and may very well help extend the life of the drive transistors... or at the very least prevent lasting damage in a dangerous coil locked-on scenario. And no way should you be running a 6A fuse as the manual states. With a flipper coil you can run 2A.

https://pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Black_Hole#Black_Hole_Ball_Lift_Kicker_Mod

#2057 8 days ago

If you decide to stick with the factory design and a-4893 coil, Piniwiki says a 2.5 amp fuse should be used in that case too, same as used on the pop bumpers. I'd better check mine, probably still has the original 6A one in there.

#2058 8 days ago
Quoted from frenchmarky:

The manual list is a bit ambiguous. A-16570 is specified for 'outhole' and 'hole kicker', i.e. one of the two ball lock holes, not the upkicker.

The manual list isn't ambiguous, you're looking at the wrong list. That list at the beginning is just a generic list of coils in case you need to do a quick swap or something. The exact coil list is given on the playfield schematics: pasted_image (resized).png

#2059 8 days ago

Lots of great info, Thanks guys. Im wondering if someone had replaced this coil before, or had just put a spare in. When I bought a new coil for it I was just replacing what was in there. Thanks again and Ill report back end results.

#2060 8 days ago

My Black Hole has never failed kicking the ball up with the recommended A-4893 coil.
And yes, change to a 2.5A fuse.

#2061 7 days ago

I am officially up and going. While I wait for the correct Gottlieb coil, I pulled a sling coil from my project F14 to give it a try and Boom I'm in business. Thanks again for all the pointers and help.

#2062 3 days ago

I'm having a problem with my ball trough gate coil. It is buzzing and seems locked on, but without enough power to pull in the plunger. When the plunger is manually pushed in, it stays in. I have done all mods for the game, and so far have put a new fuse, coil/diode, and transistor that the coil is connected to. I tested the other upper playfield transistor with my DMM and it appeared fine as well. I found the schematics online, but honestly I'm pretty terrible with them and need to be pointed in the right direction for what to test next. Everything else in the game works as it should. Problem started after wires came off one lug of upper right flipper coil and I resoldered them back on. I found someone in this thread five years ago with the same thing which they said was a bad 7404 chip, but not which one.

#2063 2 days ago
Quoted from majorrager:

I'm having a problem with my ball trough gate coil. It is buzzing and seems locked on, but without enough power to pull in the plunger. When the plunger is manually pushed in, it stays in. I have done all mods for the game, and so far have put a new fuse, coil/diode, and transistor that the coil is connected to. I tested the other upper playfield transistor with my DMM and it appeared fine as well. I found the schematics online, but honestly I'm pretty terrible with them and need to be pointed in the right direction for what to test next. Everything else in the game works as it should. Problem started after wires came off one lug of upper right flipper coil and I resoldered them back on. I found someone in this thread five years ago with the same thing which they said was a bad 7404 chip, but not which one.

You mean the lower playfield trough gate, right? What is the 'other upper pf transistor' you were checking? What transistor part nbr. did you replace the one under the lower playfield with?

#2064 2 days ago
Quoted from frenchmarky:

You mean the lower playfield trough gate, right? What is the 'other upper pf transistor' you were checking? What transistor part nbr. did you replace the one under the lower playfield with?

I meant the upper playfield. Maybe the one referred to as "outhole"? I replaced the remote transistor in the front of upper playfield with a new MJ2955, and checked the other remote transistor located near the back. I also reseated all the connectors and lightly cleaned card edge contacts hoping I had a bad connection.

#2065 2 days ago
Quoted from majorrager:

I meant the upper playfield. Maybe the one referred to as "outhole"? I replaced the remote transistor in the front of upper playfield with a new MJ2955, and checked the other remote transistor located near the back. I also reseated all the connectors and lightly cleaned card edge contacts hoping I had a bad connection.

I believe you are referring to what is listed in the schematics as "Ball Gate (Cardholder)", which is pre-driven by a lamp (L15) transistor and boosted by the under playfield 2N5875 (or MJ2955 replacement). The next transistor to check is Q16 on the driver board which drives lamp L15.

ballgate (resized).png
#2066 1 day ago

Hi guys!

i'm new to the club and i'm happy!
I have 2 questions for Black Hole regulars. I hope my questions will be clear because I usually speak French
1- What should I do so that when I catch my ball in the hole on the left of the playfield, that it does not fall when I lose my ball in court (I don't know if I am expressing myself well!?! ?!?)
2- the game does not retain any highscore and I don't know how to display them !!!!

also: is it normal that I never put credit ??? the counter writes that there are always 23 credits?!?!
Thank you for your answers!!!

196A7B0D-0C87-41B1-B321-ACD540D2588D (resized).jpeg
#2067 1 day ago
Quoted from sly:

1- What should I do so that when I catch my ball in the hole on the left of the playfield, that it does not fall when I lose my ball in court (I don't know if I am expressing myself well!?! ?!?)
2- the game does not retain any highscore and I don't know how to display them !!!!

also: is it normal that I never put credit ??? the counter writes that there are always 23 credits?!?!

Assuming you have the original mpu board in it, likely you have no batteries installed or the rechargeable battery is dead. This could also be why you always get 23 credits, there's random garbage in the ram and that's how it's being interpretted.

For the main playfield capture hole, when you complete the 4 standups on the right it lights to capture. You must earn the lower playfield multiball to release it into play by having a ball in the lower playfield capture, with the 4 standups complete and the upper hole filled, then go to the lower playfield. The 2 balls on the lower playfield will be in play, one from the lower playfield capture, and one from the corkscrew entry. Once you drain both those balls, the upper capture will release that ball onto the main playfield.

If you do not start the multiball, at the end of the normal single ball play, the flippers should turn off and the upper capture will eject that ball to the drain.

#2068 1 day ago
Quoted from slochar:

Assuming you have the original mpu board in it, likely you have no batteries installed or the rechargeable battery is dead. This could also be why you always get 23 credits, there's random garbage in the ram and that's how it's being interpretted.
For the main playfield capture hole, when you complete the 4 standups on the right it lights to capture. You must earn the lower playfield multiball to release it into play by having a ball in the lower playfield capture, with the 4 standups complete and the upper hole filled, then go to the lower playfield. The 2 balls on the lower playfield will be in play, one from the lower playfield capture, and one from the corkscrew entry. Once you drain both those balls, the upper capture will release that ball onto the main playfield.
If you do not start the multiball, at the end of the normal single ball play, the flippers should turn off and the upper capture will eject that ball to the drain.

Is that it???

80F91605-DC6F-40FF-BFC3-CEA9283AB8D3 (resized).jpeg
#2069 1 day ago
Quoted from sly:

Is that it???[quoted image]

That is a memory capacitor which is actually a pretty good battery replacement if installed correctly. You do need to operate the game monthly to maintain it's charge. If not, the game acts like it has had a battery failure. High scores and credits will be lost.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 1,099.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
$ 279.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
$ 339.00
$ 25.00
Magazines/books
Just Pinball [SOLD OUT]
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 50.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Trade
Sale Pending!
Egg Harbor Township, NJ
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Youngstown, OH
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 349.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
$ 259.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
There are 2069 posts in this topic. You are on page 42 of 42.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside