IMG_3287 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7439 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240103_220434164.jpg
IMG_5107 (resized).jpeg
PXL_20231029_054015295 (resized).jpg
PXL_20231029_053936841 (resized).jpg
PXL_20231029_053945558 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

6 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 3,291 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 66.
#151 10 years ago

OK well I guess it is not happening tonight. Should have done it yesterday while more guys on.

#154 10 years ago

Oh thank God i wasn't playing against you. We were in a different bracket.

#155 10 years ago

Nope, glass on. Like I said before, rolling the game over was the main reason I had to convert it to 7 digit.

Steve

#156 10 years ago

Dang if you do that on a regular basis you better just be in charge of running it so i can play.

#157 10 years ago

As much fun as this will be, my BH just turned into a work bench for Hurdy gurdy, then i will have to pull it out from its spot to change it to 5 ball.. i just cant do that right now, but looking forward to seeing the results...

Blownfuse will win hands down, he constantly rolls that game over... LOL

He's a Black Hole shark..

#158 10 years ago

Now I'm officially in the club: here's my high score for the evening. 5-ball

I got a multi-ball on my 15th game since getting the game working well. It was worth the wait. Such a brutally fast game. I feel like a cat watching a laser-light, I rarely know where the ball is... It makes me think this is what pinball is all about -- a very fast "shell game" where you shouldn't be too confident that you always know where the ball is, or will be in a few seconds...

Black Hole is the ultimate shell game. It wears you out and wins in the end.

201402-23-HS-400k.jpg201402-23-HS-400k.jpg

#159 10 years ago

Like I said before, or in one of the threads. I like three ball much better. Try it out. At least you will be able to enjoy multiball a little bit more. As the only difference is pop score change from 100 to 1000 and if you get 3 yellow spot targets down and lose ball you only need to get one more down to light the upper capture as completed spots are remembered. I find usually one out of four games you can achieve multiball. Even a little more often if you play 4 players at once.

When I was very young 5 ball on EM was more standard, but almost all electronic I had ever played were always set to 3 ball. So I just stick with what I am used to.

Waiting to here you rant about getting bonus multiplier up to x5 and never going into the hole. Or getting multiball started and not getting re entry gate opened. One of the worst is getting the both gforce lit and losing ball before going into the hole. Or the live catch attempt that throws your ball through the return gate and gone. Then there are multiple SDTM angles that really suck as you see it coming from a great distance away and usually no hope to save.

The list is really longer. Can't wait for the rant!

#160 10 years ago

Black Hole -- a rant will be coming some day -- there is no safe place to hide, no safe "mode" to get into, no "breaks" to be caught.

I had one "lucky break" last night in about 15 games -- a ball flew hard into the lower-left drain, and bounced out, I almost cried tears of joy.

-mof

#161 10 years ago
Quoted from Gerry:

As much fun as this will be, my BH just turned into a work bench for Hurdy gurdy,

Make sure to use big towel at least on glass. I just recently put large scratch on new glass as I placed my portable soldering station "setup" made from magazine rack on the machine and it slid down the glass. Made large 8" or so scratch that is pretty deep. I will go out of my way now not to use as workbench.

#162 10 years ago

Yeah I can remember a long time ago that once or twice the ball draining from right tube shot would swing all the way around and get back in play from the left side. Has not happened in a long time but was a pretty good wow moment when it happened. Also the rare ball screaming around and jumping over your flipper will get ya mad as hell.

#163 10 years ago
Quoted from CNKay:

Yeah I can remember a long time ago that once or twice the ball draining from right tube shot would swing all the way around and get back in play from the left side.

haha yeah, mine does this about once every 500 times -- often enough to make me feel like a fool for standing there hoping for it to happen the other 499 times!

#164 10 years ago
Quoted from CNKay:

Make sure to use big towel at least on glass. I just recently put large scratch on new glass as I placed my portable soldering station "setup" made from magazine rack on the machine and it slid down the glass. Made large 8" or so scratch that is pretty deep. I will go out of my way now not to use as workbench.

Done, before i started...

i always do that..

#165 10 years ago

Just had a great game on my beloved BH 2.4Million on 3 ball setting and only a million of my high score. I keep my high score sheet in the game and as I was looking for it I found a hard drive I had stashed away for safe keeping that I thought I had lost

BH is the fastest game I have ever played. Mine seems to be getting faster with old age... or is it me getting slower?

#166 10 years ago

Nice score, now i know another guy whom cheats or has loose legs and loose tilt.

From my memory F14 was a super fast machine. I have not played in forever but remember tuff even when younger.

#167 10 years ago

Getting closer to a real score...
-mof
20140302_012139.jpg20140302_012139.jpg

#168 10 years ago

Knew you would. Knowledge is a wonderful motivator. Pretty soon, we'll have to convert your game to 7 digit so I can put a score on it for you to shoot for. The first time you roll the score, you'll be sad that you didn't convert it sooner.

Steve

Quoted from mof:

Getting closer to a real score...
-mof

#169 10 years ago

Great score, somehow, I missed your post (until now). If you convert your game to 7 digit scoring, you won't have to keep looking for that score sheet. Here's the conversion thread:

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/converting-any-system-80-6-digit-gottlieb-to-80a-7-digit

Step it up to the next level and play it in 5 ball mode.

Steve

Quoted from woz:

Just had a great game on my beloved BH 2.4Million on 3 ball setting and only a million of my high score. I keep my high score sheet in the game and as I was looking for it I found a hard drive I had stashed away for safe keeping that I thought I had lost
BH is the fastest game I have ever played. Mine seems to be getting faster with old age... or is it me getting slower?

#170 10 years ago

Hot on your tail, Steve -- 1.2mil !
-mof

rolled it on ball 5!
201403-BH-first-rollover-ever.jpg201403-BH-first-rollover-ever.jpg

201403-BH-1pt2mil.jpg201403-BH-1pt2mil.jpg

#171 10 years ago

HA, all I see there is 221,610, you are no threat to my high score. A prediction for mof ... I see a 7 digit conversion in your future.

Steve

#172 10 years ago

haha i want one so bad but i'm both lazy and scared. my high score is pushing 2 million now on 5-ball.

#173 10 years ago

It's really not that hard to do the conversion (you don't really need the displays ... but it looks better), it's more time consuming than anything else re-working the display connectors. And, a ROM needs to be burned (PM for more info). The bummer for this right now is that I just talked with Ed at GPE and he said he's out of the U2/3 modules at the moment and he's been real busy so he hasn't made more. I told him that when he gets them back it stock, I'm ordering 3. If others contact him and get in line, he may get on it sooner.

Steve

Quoted from pezpunk:

haha i want one so bad but i'm both lazy and scared. my high score is pushing 2 million now on 5-ball.

#174 10 years ago
Quoted from blownfuse:

If others contact him and get in line, he may get on it sooner.

Would love to convert mine to 7-digit. I'll send Ed an email and let him know I'm interested in the EPROM adapter.

#175 10 years ago

I just mentioned it in last order. Funny about a week ago he had em and i just dragged feet a little bit. Send me the parts Ed I'll put it together myself.

#176 10 years ago
Quoted from CNKay:

I just mentioned it in last order. Funny about a week ago he had em and i just dragged feet a little bit. Send me the parts Ed I'll put it together myself.

CNKay, i will pay ya to come do my conversion...

cause i am getting burned out, working on these shitboxes.. LOL

#177 10 years ago

I would love to! I may not get much work done though as it seems you have a bunch of games that I have never played.

#178 10 years ago

we can turn it into a multi weekend project.. LOL

#179 10 years ago

There aren't many components on that adapter. Has anyone tried to make one with perf board?

#180 10 years ago

No, Ed saw the need, spent the time and had the boards made. I would just rather support him a little than making something on proto board. Yeah, fairly easy to do but would likely take a few hours or more to solder and look well still like Sh$T in the end. I can wait.

Quoted from erichill:

Has anyone tried to make one with perf board?

To answer your question I am sure ED has.

#181 10 years ago

Sorry, not trying to undercut Ed or his business in the slightest. Just thought it would be a fun evening project to put one together.

#182 10 years ago

I knew what you meant. Fun, nope don't see it. Maybe goofing with blinky leds or adding sound calls but an adapter board for an IC. That would be self inflicted pain in the arse. I would not even want to do for solder practice. But maybe wire wrap practice? I take all that back, I am going to make one.

#183 10 years ago

Had a bunch of adapters made up in December... sold the last one this past Monday. Since that time, I have been flooded with requests for these!
I'll be making more - hopefully this coming weekend. They're not terribly complicated but kind of a time consuming to build for such a small board -- solder one side, clean them, wait for them to dry - solder 2nd side, reclean them, wait for them to dry again and then stuff them. I have about 200 boards remaining if I remember right. I considered selling them as a kit but haven't had time to look into that, either (stinking day job!).

#184 10 years ago

Thanks Ed, forgot you frequent this site. Didn't mean to overload you ... well, maybe a little.

Steve

Quoted from G-P-E:

Had a bunch of adapters made up in December... sold the last one this past Monday. Since that time, I have been flooded with requests for these!
I'll be making more - hopefully this coming weekend. They're not terribly complicated but kind of a time consuming to build for such a small board -- solder one side, clean them, wait for them to dry - solder 2nd side, reclean them, wait for them to dry again and then stuff them. I have about 200 boards remaining if I remember right. I considered selling them as a kit but haven't had time to look into that, either (stinking day job!).

#185 10 years ago

Steve,

I installed a blue light per your instructions for my tube. I love how it shines on your shoulder while playing... VERY eerie. It is good UI, cause it lets you know when you've accomplished the goal.

Questions:

1. Can you take a photo of where your bulb is placed?
2. I think a newer tube means thicker plastic, which means more reflective material for the blue... is this thinking correct? I feel like mine is more dim than yours.
3. Have you ever thought of putting in a red light when it's NOT open?

thanks!
-mof

#186 10 years ago

Yep, here ya go.

tn[3].jpgtn[3].jpg

As far as tube thickness goes, my replacement tube is the same thickness as original, had to special order it. If you need a new tube, I have a few extras made up that I sometimes sell at PAGG. PM me if you're interested in one.

Never thought of putting a red LED there, didn't even come into my mind.

Steve

#187 10 years ago
Quoted from blownfuse:

Never thought of putting a red LED there, didn't even come into my mind.
tn[3].jpg 17 KB

Would red just be wired into the "other" yellow insert? Is one on, or the other? I forget the matrix.
-mof

#188 10 years ago

My best first ball ever!

#189 10 years ago
Quoted from Solder_Splash:

My best first ball ever!
» YouTube video

nice ball. I had one like that last night, 700K first, then 10k, 10k, 10k, 10k and finished 740k. Hilarious.
-mof

#190 10 years ago
Quoted from mof:

nice ball. I had one like that last night, 700K first, then 10k, 10k, 10k, 10k and finished 740k. Hilarious.
-mof

can't tell you how many times that has happened to me! when i'm by myself i tend to play 4-player games so i can steal the lower playfield lock from myself ... so many times player 3 (or whoever) will have a 5000 point first ball only to put it all together at the end and lap the field.

#191 10 years ago
Quoted from mof:

-mof

I had the first two balls locked when I handed my buddy my phone and told him to start recording.
I thought for sure I'd choke. I obtain multiball once in about 20 games or so.
I won an extra ball and was so pumped from having just played miltiball that I forgot and my buddy played thinking it was his turned. He promptly drained and then of course I saw he had just played my ball.
Oh well! I didn't want to score over 999,999 anyways since I'd have nothing to show for it if I did.

#192 10 years ago

That was alot of fun to watch... very cool !

#193 10 years ago

Anyone got any tips on leveling the blue acrylic ? I have a pack of new grommets from Steve, I just tried adjusting one, and realize I don't get the secret...

thanks!
-mof

#194 10 years ago
Quoted from mof:

Anyone got any tips on leveling the blue acrylic ?

I replaced the grommets on mine to level it. The old ones had deteriorated before I got it, causing the acrylic window to be recessed. Not sure if there is a trick other than to go slow with the allen wrench and adjust slightly as needed. I did read somewhere that you basically can't get it perfect, so don't try. You can get it very close, but not perfect. Keep the upper edge slightly below the playfield and the lower edge slightly above, so the ball rolls naturally on the down slope. Mine plays much more naturally now that the ball does not "detour" along the window edge.

#195 10 years ago

M very excited about getting my new black hole back after undergoing a major overhaul/ playfield resto. I saw it the other day and it looks gorgeous.

#196 10 years ago

(BHTFT) Black Hole tip for today: I was just telling mof last night that I went to replace the foam grommets (a couple of days ago) on the Black Hole and a Spirit I have in the shop/gameroom. I thought I had bought a bunch of them from The Pinball Resource a while back but I couldn't for the life of me find them anywhere. So ... I improvised and used some black "small mini post rubber" instead figuring I could replace them later if the rubber didn't work or hold up. I was surprised as to how well they worked at leveling out the plastic. I liked using them so much for leveling the plastic that I'm never going to use the foam grommets again. I'm sure that if someone else tries it, they'd say the same thing

Steve

Quoted from RCA1:

I replaced the grommets on mine to level it. The old ones had deteriorated before I got it, causing the acrylic window to be recessed. Not sure if there is a trick other than to go slow with the allen wrench and adjust slightly as needed. I did read somewhere that you basically can't get it perfect, so don't try. You can get it very close, but not perfect. Keep the upper edge slightly below the playfield and the lower edge slightly above, so the ball rolls naturally on the down slope. Mine plays much more naturally now that the ball does not "detour" along the window edge.

#197 10 years ago

Well I know that it is much easier to level and stay leveled if the Tnuts are installed very tight, maybe even anchored with another screw. I tiny amount of loc tight for the window screws wouldn't hurt either.

Quoted from blownfuse:

"small mini post rubber"

there was no trimming involved? Not a lot of "backpressure"? it seems like i tried it at one time and just thought o damn i am going to break this plastic. I think i tried a couple different IC foams i did not like either.

I always though it would have been better if they did not use mounting holes from top at all and just had a thicker piece lying atop of adjustment bolts. Maybe a locking slot from underside.

#198 10 years ago

I used some small rubber washers that I had on hand and they worked out perfectly.

#199 10 years ago

The rubber crushed down real easy. Because it was more stiff than the foam, I was able to get the plastic/playfield adjustment real close to perfect and the screws are flush to the plastic.

Steve

Quoted from CNKay:

there was no trimming involved? Not a lot of "backpressure"?

#200 10 years ago
Quoted from erichill:

Would love to convert mine to 7-digit. I'll send Ed an email and let him know I'm interested in the EPROM adapter.

OK - another batch has been made. Most have been claimed but still have five remaining and posted them to my website.

Ed

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 83.00
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts

Machine - For Sale
Ottawa, ON
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 3,291 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 66.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/black-hole-club-members-only/page/4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.