Topic Stats

• 1,784 posts
  • 180 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 15 days ago by woz
  • Topic is favorited by 90 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 383 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_20190926_113456918 (resized).jpg
C905_Colors_m (resized).JPG
Tripi BH (resized).JPG
86BC3228-E0FD-477B-9C8F-95EF77CEFC46 (resized).jpeg
20190819_171858 (resized).jpg
20190819_171429 (resized).jpg
hb dims (resized).jpeg
upper field (resized).jpg
lower field (resized).jpg
boards (resized).jpg
coin door (resized).jpg
back glass (resized).jpg
measurements (resized).jpg
20190629_131731 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190523_022514 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190325_135509_resized_20190325_053730289 (resized).jpg

There are 1784 posts in this topic. You are on page 36 of 36.
#1751 5 months ago

Can anyone confirm that clearance that have between the disc and the backglass, and disc to insert board?

I bought the servo city motor and parts per pinwiki, but when I mounted the motor, even with the disc as far on the shaft as it can go, it's still touching the backglass. Can't figure out anything to do besides grinding off some of the shaft. Tried mounting the motor on the inside instead of the outside, and then the shaft wasn't long enough to clear the lamps.

Seems like there's barely any room for the disc regardless, almost tempted to get some dome-less Leds

#1752 5 months ago

I used the servo city parts, and it just barely cleared the incandescents. I was switching to some led flashers anyway, so it didn't really matter in the end.

The backglass had some indications of disc wear, so it's safe to say there is not much clearance in either direction.

#1753 5 months ago

I bought a replacement from @gbgemen and it worked perfect with no added parts. Even came with instructions.

3 weeks later
#1754 4 months ago

If anyone needs a lower playfield, I'm putting one up for sale. Pm me.

20190629_131731 (resized).jpg
#1755 4 months ago

I have two drop in replacement spinning disc motors left. These will probably be my last two that I put together.

Easy installation. Instructions included.

Independence Day Sale Price: $90 Shipped to USA.

As always, $5.00 donation to pinside with each sale.

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/80109

EDIT: One left.

Added 141 days ago:

EDIT: BOTH SOLD!

#1756 4 months ago

On the stock lower playfield up kick setup, is there any way to adjust to coil strength? I installed a new stock coil, and now the ball hits the glass on every up kick, and then jumps the gate.

#1757 4 months ago
Quoted from uncivil_engineer:

On the stock lower playfield up kick setup, is there any way to adjust to coil strength? I installed a new stock coil, and now the ball hits the glass on every up kick, and then jumps the gate.

http://www.pinwiki.com//wiki/index.php?title=Black_Hole

2 weeks later
#1758 4 months ago

I have a favor to ask of you my fellow fans of the Black Hole . Like you I want to save as many of these gems as possible. The machine I have was being smashed in to smaller bits so it could better fit in the trash receptacle. It was saved by a fellow member just after they had smashed the base cabinet. The other sections, both play fields and back box had only received minor damage by comparison (I also have the coin door and plunger). I have been looking for a replacement cabinet and all the bits that are found in the cabinet for sometime now. I am now going down a different path to achieve my goal of restoration. I am going to build a cabinet. I have some measurements because I have the Back Box, adjoining neck and coin box with the surrounding wood. The rest of the measurements are needed for this to happen. I have attached a graphic showing the measurements I believe I need. Would you be willing to take down some measurements so this restoration can continue?
Thanks in advance, Tom

measurements (resized).jpgback glass (resized).jpgboards (resized).jpgcoin door (resized).jpglower field (resized).jpgupper field (resized).jpg
#1759 4 months ago

As requested...

You can't really measure the front support to the lower playfield, as the bottom of the cabinet there is raised to support the power supply, so I gave the dimension to the top of the cabinet.

Also from my experience, you don't really want to drill the flipper holes until you test fit the rails, the holes need to match the rails.

hb dims (resized).jpeg

1 week later
#1760 3 months ago

Deeply grateful for you responce. I hope this information will help others as well with the same desire to restore this great game and the two of so others with the same base. Thank you for your kindness.

1 week later
#1761 3 months ago

Just an FYI for visitors, I have put my Black Hole up for sale. PM if interested.

1 week later
#1762 3 months ago

Hi Black Hole friends. I recently acquired this BH project:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/for-sale-black-hole-and-volcano-projects-

I have the game up and flipping now....in an actual Black Hole cabinet....powered by a Haunted House tranformer panel. I was able to piece together most of it from extra parts I had on hand. I am now in need of some playfield plastics to complete the topside. I was wondering if a good soul in here may have some used plastics left over from a restoration that would be good enough for this Frankensteined players condition black hole that has been saved from the scrap pile. If so, please pm me, as anything would be better than nothing and this game is not worthy of brand new. My goal is to make it complete and playable. Thanks!

Added 90 days ago:

Update: plastics found thanks to PinZig! Thanks man!

#1763 3 months ago
Quoted from Gotpins:

I was wondering if a good soul in here may have some used plastics left over from a restoration that would be good enough for this Frankensteined players condition black hole that has been saved from the scrap pile. If so, please pm me, as anything would be better than nothing and this game is not worthy of brand new. My goal is to make it complete and playable. Thanks!

I have most of the upper playfield plastics in fair shape if you still need them. Missing the left side sling plastic, but should have it somewhere. They're yellowed, dirty, scratched and one has a decent sized crack. No lower plastics since they were in decent shape and I'll be reusing them. Lmk if you're interested

20190819_171429 (resized).jpg20190819_171858 (resized).jpg
#1764 3 months ago

Any quick clues to why the sound board would be making this noise?

#1765 3 months ago
Quoted from wm6929:

Any quick clues to why the sound board would be making this noise?

Does the sound work ok otherwise?
I’m wondering if one of the sound inputs is stuck low. There is a test button on the sound board, if press it once you should hear a single tone. If you then press it again, you will hear one of two things: the board will say ‘complete’, or if one of the sound inputs is low (or grounded), you will hear it say a number (like ‘8’’8’’8’) over and over. This is used to test the inputs of the board, but you can also use this test to detect a bad input from the driver board.

#1766 3 months ago
Quoted from uncivil_engineer:

Does the sound work ok otherwise?
I’m wondering if one of the sound inputs is stuck low. There is a test button on the sound board, if press it once you should hear a single tone. If you then press it again, you will hear one of two things: the board will say ‘complete’, or if one of the sound inputs is low (or grounded), you will hear it say a number (like ‘8’’8’’8’) over and over. This is used to test the inputs of the board, but you can also use this test to detect a bad input from the driver board.

There is a constant sound and nothing else. It almost sounds like it is saying "eighteighteighteight." I will try the test button again. I want to say that I have pushed the test button and I got nothing, but that was two weeks ago and my memory is terrible.

Need to mention:
-I have added Pascall's all in one board and that I have added LEDs to the other boards. All of the LEDs light up when you turn on the game.
-I pulled the fuses for the pop bumpers and I am waiting on replacements.
-I have not re-pinned any of the connectors.

#1767 3 months ago

Got home

Hit the test button
-no change

1 week later
#1768 80 days ago

Well I wasn’t expecting this, but I recently made a deal & now I’m in the Black Hole club. Damn this game is just awesome. 1981 rules! First System 80 for me as well. Luckily this game is working well & in great shape. Also has the PI-80 pascal board. I’m just trying to read through this thread & the PI-80 manual. 2 quick questions...

1). I want to put #44 6v LEDs in the lower playfield GI illumination. Do you still have to perform Blownfuse’s simple mod to change the string from 28v to 6v, even though that Pascal’s PI-80 board is installed? I’m guessing even if the pascal board is installed that power circuit needs to be modified anyway. From what I’m reading 6v LED bulbs will work everywhere except on the lower playfield illumination.

2) The motor in the backglass only comes on when the ball is on the lower playfield. Is there a setting in the menus to change when the motor comes on, or different speeds? Mine doesn’t come on during attract mode either. I just read the PI-80 manual & stepped through the game menus & I can’t find a setting adjustment for this.

I’ll keep reading tho.

86BC3228-E0FD-477B-9C8F-95EF77CEFC46 (resized).jpeg
#1769 79 days ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

Well I wasn’t expecting this, but I recently made a deal & now I’m in the Black Hole club. Damn this game is just awesome. 1981 rules! First System 80 for me as well. Luckily this game is working well & in great shape. Also has the PI-80 pascal board. I’m just trying to read through this thread & the PI-80 manual. 2 quick questions...
1). I want to put #44 6v LEDs in the lower playfield GI illumination. Do you still have to perform Blownfuse’s simple mod to change the string from 28v to 6v, even though that Pascal’s PI-80 board is installed? I’m guessing even if the pascal board is installed that power circuit needs to be modified anyway. From what I’m reading 6v LED bulbs will work everywhere except on the lower playfield illumination.
2) The motor in the backglass only comes on when the ball is on the lower playfield. Is there a setting in the menus to change when the motor comes on, or different speeds? Mine doesn’t come on during attract mode either. I just read the PI-80 manual & stepped through the game menus & I can’t find a setting adjustment for this.
I’ll keep reading tho.[quoted image]

Welcome to the club!
This should help you with both
http://pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Black_Hole

#1770 79 days ago

Pascal has nothing to do with the lower playfield lights. They'll need to be converted

Disc is usually on all the time. Someone probably modded it.

1 week later
#1771 67 days ago

New member - and I just want to say hello! I've had my Black Hole for about 2 weeks now, and have already gone way down the (wait for it) black hole of restoring it. This was my childhood pinball. My father had bought one in 1982, and we grew up with it in our basement. I learned to dismantle it and put it back together before I was even 10 years old. Spent the past few years trying to find one of my own, and was lucky enough to buy one from a collector 15 minutes from my house. It's now a permanent fixture (and excellent distraction) in my music studio. Spinning motor is rebuilt, bumper caps replaced, lights all working, rubbers updated, few LEDs added (the galaxy bumpers!), and a bunch of other cleaning/restorations. It's freaking incredible that there is a group of people with this same machine, and as much enthusiasm as I have!

Has anyone every tried getting the BriteButtons from BriteMod to work as flipper buttons? They look amazing, but I was told they do not work on Gottlieb machines because of the retaining plate.

https://www.pinballlife.com/britemods-store.html

Greg

Tripi BH (resized).JPG
#1772 67 days ago

Congrats, and welcome to the club!

You have exquisite taste!

Very cool place for a pin, too! Enjoy!

#1773 66 days ago
Quoted from TRIPI:

Has anyone every tried getting the BriteButtons from BriteMod to work as flipper buttons? They look amazing, but I was told they do not work on Gottlieb machines because of the retaining plate.

Do they sell clear flipper buttons for Gottliebs? If so, it's easy to make your own lit buttons.

#1774 66 days ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Do they sell clear flipper buttons for Gottliebs? If so, it's easy to make your own lit buttons.

PBR sells clear retaining plates

#1775 66 days ago

Thanks for the idea. I did find the clear strap retainer on PBR. I think using a bendable LED in there might work, but I'm not certain about where to draw the power from. Big learning curve for me. If there was a kit that could just plug in to the Aux power outlet in the body, that would be ideal.

#1776 66 days ago
Quoted from TRIPI:

Thanks for the idea. I did find the clear strap retainer on PBR. I think using a bendable LED in there might work, but I'm not certain about where to draw the power from. Big learning curve for me. If there was a kit that could just plug in to the Aux power outlet in the body, that would be ideal.

If you're not comfortable wiring that sort of thing up yourself, the Comet Matrix system makes it really easy to add additional lights to virtually any game ...

https://www.cometpinball.com/collections/matrix

#1777 66 days ago
Quoted from TRIPI:

If you know what voltage you need we can probably point you in the right direction. Usually I think these mods just use regular pinball LEDS though, which work fine powered off GI voltage like in the coin door

#1778 65 days ago

Guys, you don't need to go looking for these buttons... I've had gottlieb compatible buttons and housing for years:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/button-patentcopyright-owner

Vid did a review (and how-to) of them here:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/classic-bally-stern-clear-buttons-vids-review

C905_Colors_m (resized).JPG

A direct link to my product page is here:
http://pinball-mods.com/url/pm_btns

#1779 64 days ago

Those mod buttons look great, but I’ve already ordered some parts to make my own. The Comet Matrix looks promising also. First things first, I need to finish my grounding update and get my credit/ball display to stay on. I’m also looking for a way to get some shine back in to the metal parts of my play field, if anyone has a suggestion. Thanx!

1 week later
#1780 53 days ago

For the love of God.....does anyone understand WHY someone would have done this?

I'm actually thinking this is repairable with quikwood, a (water slide) decal and mylar.....anyone have any other ideas?

IMG_20190926_113456918 (resized).jpg
#1781 53 days ago
Quoted from cmack750:

For the love of God.....does anyone understand WHY someone would have done this?
I'm actually thinking this is repairable with quikwood, a (water slide) decal and mylar.....anyone have any other ideas?[quoted image]

Now that is just bizarre. Yeah, a decal and mylar would be your best bet. I would make up your decal to include the entire spaceman, and airbrush the whole spaceman area white, and apply the decal over it. You could do something similar with the shoot again graphic.

#1782 53 days ago
Quoted from cmack750:

does anyone understand WHY someone would have done this?

Is it a new gobble hole to make sure it the lower playfield got some love and action?
That said... if the game was working properly; they'd be playing a dead stick with no light.
Weird.

3 weeks later
#1783 30 days ago

I recently decided to try out the modification outlined on pinwiki to eliminate the click-click noise in attract mode here: http://pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Black_Hole#Stopping_that_Gate_Chatter_in_Attract_Mode

Ran into an odd discovery along the way though. The modification worked as intended, it stops the re-entry gate from clicking on and off during attract mode but also allows the gate to work properly in gameplay. However, I'm still getting a click-click during attract mode! It took a while to track it down, but i found the solenoid-activated ball gate leading to the outhole on the lower playfield is *also* activating at the same rhythm as the re-entry gate had been. Is that normal? If not, any ideas where i should start looking for the solution? Should i just add another switch to the game over relay to disable that one in attract mode as well?

2 weeks later
#1784 15 days ago
Quoted from frunch:

I recently decided to try out the modification outlined on pinwiki to eliminate the click-click noise in attract mode here: http://pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Black_Hole#Stopping_that_Gate_Chatter_in_Attract_Mode
Ran into an odd discovery along the way though. The modification worked as intended, it stops the re-entry gate from clicking on and off during attract mode but also allows the gate to work properly in gameplay. However, I'm still getting a click-click during attract mode! It took a while to track it down, but i found the solenoid-activated ball gate leading to the outhole on the lower playfield is *also* activating at the same rhythm as the re-entry gate had been. Is that normal? If not, any ideas where i should start looking for the solution? Should i just add another switch to the game over relay to disable that one in attract mode as well?

frunch I did this mod to my Black Hole last night.... That gate clicking during attract mode has been bugging me for years.... but not any more lol.

The clicking you're still hearing is the L relay on the lower playfield which controls the lower playfield GI during attract mode.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
€ 8.40
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 1,099.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
$ 159.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
$ 14.99
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
Sale Pending!
St Joseph, MI
2,700 (OBO)
Sale Pending!
Rochester, MI
$ 259.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
$ 50.00
$ 36.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Doc's Pinball Shop
$ 99.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Sales
There are 1784 posts in this topic. You are on page 36 of 36.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside