IMG_3287 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7439 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240103_220434164.jpg
IMG_5107 (resized).jpeg
PXL_20231029_054015295 (resized).jpg
PXL_20231029_053936841 (resized).jpg
PXL_20231029_053945558 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

6 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 3,291 posts in this topic. You are on page 27 of 66.
#1301 7 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

The MPS-U45 was 2A. Seems odd to step down to a 1A component, rather than to something that is the same or greater.

I'm not real technical but the old one has s metal tab and 3 times bigger. I told steve it was for q15. He knew all the part numbers and was very confident that this was the correct part. When I opened the bag I thought these were for the smaller trans to the right of q15. Or that q15 he sent me was for a diff board

#1302 7 years ago
Quoted from uncle_jose:

Hello to everybody!
After several years I was able to get my own BH! Woohoo! so excited...! But, as expected I'm finding a handsome of odd issues with the machine, maybe you guys can help me on its' behavior...
1. The Game Over light will remain on -all the time- even during "normal" gameplay. Any ideas of where could be the fault?

I *think* I trace down the problem with my game over light been lit all the time... The L10 lamp goes to an "q12 mps-a13" transistor, which might be culprit. Maybe? perhaps?

Screen Shot 2017-04-26 at 11.34.38 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2017-04-26 at 11.34.38 AM (resized).png

Screen Shot 2017-04-26 at 11.38.38 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2017-04-26 at 11.38.38 AM (resized).png

#1303 7 years ago
Quoted from uncle_jose:

I *think* I trace down the problem with my game over light been lit all the time... The L10 lamp goes to an "q12 mps-a13" transistor, which might be culprit. Maybe? perhaps?

Disconnect A3J2, see if it goes out. If it does, then yeah, probably Q12, or maybe Z3.

#1304 7 years ago

I was talking with a friend about the love hate black hole lower playfield. I embrace it,
just go for it. Used to play against it. Such a dark movie when it came out.

I bet it's still dark.

#1305 7 years ago
Quoted from Azmodeus:

I was talking with a friend about the love hate black hole lower playfield. I embrace it,
just go for it.

I've never found it that dangerous. It's not hard to complete a bank. Confused at how people are so mad about being able to lose a ball when it goes between the flippers, when that's exactly how other playfields work. HH's lower playfield was always really boring to me without the danger of draining. Just flip the ball around for a while. Oh, it drained? No problem, no urgency.

#1306 7 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Disconnect A3J2, see if it goes out. If it does, then yeah, probably Q12, or maybe Z3.

Yup, that's how I found out... I'm -really- hoping is not Z3, although the other lights (controlled by Z3) work fine.

Thanks again!

~ja

#1307 7 years ago
Quoted from uncle_jose:

Yup, that's how I found out... I'm -really- hoping is not Z3, although the other lights (controlled by Z3) work fine.
Thanks again!
~ja

It's usually not, but single pins of those latches can fail while the rest work

#1308 6 years ago

Anyone know why someone would run a wire with resistors on the ends between these 2 transistors and the fuse block?

IMG_3699 (resized).JPGIMG_3699 (resized).JPG

IMG_3702 (resized).JPGIMG_3702 (resized).JPG

IMG_3703 (resized).JPGIMG_3703 (resized).JPG

IMG_3700 (resized).JPGIMG_3700 (resized).JPG

IMG_3701 (resized).JPGIMG_3701 (resized).JPG

#1309 6 years ago

Just off the top of my head, I swear there was a "tsb" update that called for adding a resistor to a leg. But not sure why they'd cut the original wire out?

http://arcarc.xmission.com/Pinball/PDF%20Pinball%20Misc/Black-Hole%20and%20Haunted-House%20Repair%20Guide.pdf

page 23. Looks like they may of done it wrong on yours...?

#1310 6 years ago

Would that explain why my 313 lights won't light and my wireform actuator won't move?

#1311 6 years ago

Its installed correctly. They should be there. If by wireform actuator you mean the ball gate on the lower playfield, then that transistor is probably bad.

#1312 6 years ago

Upper playfield. Must be the transistor. I think it's q19

#1313 6 years ago

Does anyone have a picture of the upper playfield wireform coil assembly? The one for the re-entry? I have to see if this is wired correctly. Mine has both wires on one lug

#1314 6 years ago

How difficult is a Black Hole to keep up and running? We'd like to get one, but I'm still relatively new to working on pinball machines. I've done flipper rebuilds and other play field work, but that's about all I've done. Would I be out of my element or with a little more knowledge could I keep it up and running?

#1315 6 years ago
Quoted from Mizzou0103:

How difficult is a Black Hole to keep up and running? We'd like to get one, but I'm still relatively new to working on pinball machines. I've done flipper rebuilds and other play field work, but that's about all I've done. Would I be out of my element or with a little more knowledge could I keep it up and running?

Black Hole is a neat game. However, it's mechanical electrical design
is flawed. One has to do major upgrades to the game in order for
the game to function and be stable. I personally added an auxiliary
reset line from the CPU to the output driver board in order to
save the bridge rectifiers/ transistors from the turn on solenoid spikes
that fatigue the game's system.

#1316 6 years ago
Quoted from Mizzou0103:

How difficult is a Black Hole to keep up and running?

it depends if you have a barn find thats never been modded could be very hard to someone new. if you have a machine thats been grounded, pop bumper boards modded, de thunked, new disc motor, nv ram etc you will have no more issue than any other pin out there.

if things arent addressed correctly you will keep fighting with problems. i have had one for many years and no real issues except cleaning, lamps and rings.

#1317 6 years ago
Quoted from CNKay:

it depends if you have a barn find thats never been modded could be very hard to someone new. if you have a machine thats been grounded, pop bumper boards modded, de thunked, new disc motor, nv ram etc you will have no more issue than any other pin out there.
if things arent addressed correctly you will keep fighting with problems. i have had one for many years and no real issues except cleaning, lamps and rings.

Yes, if anyone is looking to sell one in great condition, let me know. Beautiful pin.

#1318 6 years ago

If you add BH to your profile page wishlist you get notified of any marketplace ads associated with that title automatically​.

#1319 6 years ago

Mine is now 99% fixed. The left flippers some times stick Its electrical cause when I power off they drop. I moved pf to right a little so it's not pressing against switch. Any ideas? Guessing it has to be switch blades staying in contact ?

#1320 6 years ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

Mine is now 99% fixed. The left flippers some times stick Its electrical cause when I power off they drop. I moved pf to right a little so it's not pressing against switch. Any ideas? Guessing it has to be switch blades staying in contact ?

Try swapping the cab switches

#1321 6 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Try swapping the cab switches

So just switch and see if prob goes with it ?

#1322 6 years ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

So just switch and see if prob goes with it ?

Yeah. Power has to go through the switch for the flipper to stay up, so pretty much has to be a problem with it. Swapping would confirm.

#1324 6 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Yeah. Power has to go through the switch for the flipper to stay up, so pretty much has to be a problem with it. Swapping would confirm.

ok....problem followed switch. About every 8-9 times I hit right flipper it stays up....contacts sticking..Ill try and look below through coin door.

Other issue is sometimes flippers are giving me 5000 points for hitting either flipper any thoughts to troubleshoot? Need to see what sw is worth 5k so I can see if flipper vibrations are causing it

#1325 6 years ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

ok....problem followed switch. About every 8-9 times I hit right flipper it stays up....contacts sticking..Ill try and look below through coin door.

A good filing might fix it, but probably better to just replace.

#1326 6 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

A good filing might fix it, but probably better to just replace.

Any thoughts on where 5k points coming from ?

#1327 6 years ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

Any thoughts on where 5k points coming from ?

Maybe the orbit gate? I usually just go around hitting every switch till I find one with the same scoring+sound

#1328 6 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Maybe the orbit gate? I usually just go around hitting every switch till I find one with the same scoring+sound

Good idea

#1329 6 years ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

Need to see what sw is worth 5k so I can see if flipper vibrations are causing it

Absolutely! I had a "10 point" on my MGOW that would run up the score with flipper action. Happened after a strip and clean. I needed to find the switch and adjust it... So look for that 5K switch.

#1330 6 years ago

Can anyone snap a pic of the area between the small transformer and the bridge rectifiers? I have a 100uf/25v blue electrolytic cap that came disconnected on it's + side, and I just want to confirm it's correct position so I can solder it back into place. I've attached a pic showing the location I'm talking about: IMAG2842 (resized).jpgIMAG2842 (resized).jpg

Thanks!

#1331 6 years ago

The schematic, page 47, shows a single capacitor there: C3, 100uF, 25V.

Could be the original cap went bad & was replaced, if so, you would want to leave that 2nd cap disconnected (is it even good?).

#1332 6 years ago

Thanks! Looks like the blue cap had started leaking and the tech decided to just disconnect it and install another one next to it. I removed them both and popped in a 100uf/100v replacement. Also got rid of the orange 6800uf capacitor (!), and replaced all 4 bridge rectifiers while in there too. Can't wait to get this game working!

Thanks again!

tmp_28425-IMAG2853328160877.jpgtmp_28425-IMAG2853328160877.jpg

#1333 6 years ago

I'm looking for tips, on what I should be prepared for, when my black hole arrives later this week.

The seller gave me this description
----------------------------------------
Working gottlieb black hole. Dumped alot of time and money into this one. Replaced driver board, power supply, mpu (I have the original boards if you want to repair or sell them - pretty sure they still work though because the games state didn't change until I tightened up some connections, even after the new boards were installed... so in short, the old boards might work too), few of the pop bumper boards, bridge rectifiers, filter cap, rubbers, LED'd, added extra ground wire to harness per TNT recommendation. Motor for back glass needs replaced (like 12 bucks on ebay), a couple segments out on a couple displays which im confident is a loose connection somehwere because they came back when i jiggled the harness. New boards from rottendog.

It looks like someone repinned some of it by splicing in some new wires. Haven't experienced any grounding issues.

------------------------------------------

I have purchased the motor on eBay for the back glass.

Is the segment issue, going to be a disaster to repair?

Any tips on parts that I should be ordering or repair procedures I should be researching, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

IMG_2799 (resized).JPGIMG_2799 (resized).JPG

IMG_2800 (resized).JPGIMG_2800 (resized).JPG

IMG_2801 (resized).JPGIMG_2801 (resized).JPG

#1334 6 years ago

While I've only​ begun working on mine recently, here's a few things I'd start off doing: there's a number of other ground mods beside the one he did on the cpu to driver board connector. Check them on pinwiki or Clay's guide. Also, i imagine they changed the tall, skinny, orange 6800uf cap, but if they didn't--change it. Another thing: Don't unplug or plug in any of the display connectors while the game is on! Lots of damage can result if you do! Another thing: the lights that point down at the lower playfield from the upper playfield are actually 24v, and use 313-type bulbs. There's an easy way to change it over to 6v, documented in this thread and elsewhere. By doing that conversion, you can use 44 or 47-type bulbs. The pop bumper driver boards can all be upgraded if they haven't already been, as well. (Again, documented in detail at various places online)

This thread has a lot of good advice, and pinwiki and Clay's guides also have tons of good info/bulletproofing suggestions. Just take your time, and do the ground mods. You might be spinning your wheels for a while chasing odd problems if you don't do them first. Good luck! I'm just getting started working on my newly acquired Black Hole. If you need any pics for reference, let me know!

1 week later
#1335 6 years ago

BH noob question. How do I remove the backglass to get to the infinity lights? I don't want to damage it and it's not a lift channel that I can see

#1336 6 years ago
Quoted from jboner1058:

BH noob question. How do I remove the backglass to get to the infinity lights? I don't want to damage it and it's not a lift channel that I can see

There's screws along the outside edge to remove the side trim, then it slides out

#1337 6 years ago

Thanks! Any good reason to leave the shipping bracket on the top of the lamp board? Just wanting a more even light on the word"Hole" and the bracket runs right in the middle of it

2 weeks later
#1338 6 years ago

Well, my Black Hole is finally operational! Just a couple minor issues to work out at this point.

One issue I'm trying to work out right now is that when the ball gets kicked up the long plastic tube from the lower playfield to the upper playfield, 50% of the time if the re-entry gate is closed, the ball will jump over the gate (from right to left) and back into play when it was supposed to go down the drain. Any adjustments i can make to prevent that from happening?

Thanks!

#1339 6 years ago
Quoted from frunch:

Well, my Black Hole is finally operational! Just a couple minor issues to work out at this point.
One issue I'm trying to work out right now is that when the ball gets kicked up the long plastic tube from the lower playfield to the upper playfield, 50% of the time if the re-entry gate is closed, the ball will jump over the gate (from right to left) and back into play when it was supposed to go down the drain. Any adjustments i can make to prevent that from happening?
Thanks!

If you get the EOS mod you can use it to adjust the kicker strength

#1340 6 years ago

Yeah, you can get that mod from cliffy, also there should be a mmmm wire form "gate" that kind of slows it down? Before the reentry gate. I think.....

#1341 6 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

Yeah, you can get that mod from cliffy, also there should be a mmmm wire form "gate" that kind of slows it down? Before the reentry gate. I think.....

The gate is there on mine. I'm starting to suspect the plastic tube may be sitting a tad lower than it should, causing the ball to catch the edge of the playfield as it exits the tube... I'll see if i can raise the tube a bit and test it out. I'll report back with my findings...

#1342 6 years ago
Quoted from frunch:

The gate is there on mine. I'm starting to suspect the plastic tube may be sitting a tad lower than it should, causing the ball to catch the edge of the playfield as it exits the tube... I'll see if i can raise the tube a bit and test it out. I'll report back with my findings...

I haven't played mine much, waiting for a couple games to sell so I have room to tear down, but here is mine and when I tested it I think it worked fine

IMG_3279 (resized).JPGIMG_3279 (resized).JPG

IMG_3281 (resized).JPGIMG_3281 (resized).JPG

IMG_3280 (resized).JPGIMG_3280 (resized).JPG

#1343 6 years ago
Quoted from frunch:

Mine would actually fly over the gate before I modded it

#1344 6 years ago

Thanks for the pics and help, guys! I'll let you know how it goes.

2 weeks later
#1345 6 years ago

Is there any place to buy or print the spinning disk? Just looking for something to fill the empty void, it does not have to be pretty...

#1346 6 years ago
Quoted from futurepinhead:

Is there any place to buy or print the spinning disk? Just looking for something to fill the empty void, it does not have to be pretty...

I think I remember PBR having repros at one point

#1347 6 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

I think I remember PBR having repros at one point

I tried calling him but his phone has been busy a couple times today. I'll try again tomorrow. Its not on his website, but I know that his website only shows a fraction of what he has in inventory.

#1348 6 years ago

I can scan the plastic, and it could be printed on plexi?

#1349 6 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

I can scan the plastic, and it could be printed on plexi?

That would be amazing! I'm looking for just a cheap place holder for now. There is a picture of it online but it won't allow me to print it. I'll PM you.

#1350 6 years ago
Quoted from futurepinhead:

That would be amazing! I'm looking for just a cheap place holder for now. There is a picture of it online but it won't allow me to print it. I'll PM you.

Rock on, I will have time this weekend. As I have to open the head door to get that spinner out.

Are you handy with photoshop or gimp? It's big enough you may have to stitch together or I can bring it to work and try our big scanner

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Ottawa, ON
There are 3,291 posts in this topic. You are on page 27 of 66.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/black-hole-club-members-only/page/27?hl=uncle_jose and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.