PXL_20231029_053936841 (resized).jpg
PXL_20231029_053945558 (resized).jpg
PXL_20231029_053803807 (resized).jpg
IMG_3922 (resized).jpeg
Sys80 Coin Box Bracket (resized).JPG
IMG_9041 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9045 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

6 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 3,285 posts in this topic. You are on page 26 of 66.
#1251 7 years ago

Got her all finished finally!! Ton of time and work in this but at least she's beautiful now. She plays fast, very fast and is brutal at times but a blast to play. I cleared both fields, replaced all of the plastics including the posts, high polished allot of the metal to a semi chrome finish, Full Titan rubbers, new spinner motor, to much to list honestly. Big thanks again to Chris - aka CNKay for the stellar board work and upgrades!!!

Here are some before and after pics..

received_10154419674757314 (resized).jpegreceived_10154419674757314 (resized).jpeg

received_10154318742482314 (resized).jpegreceived_10154318742482314 (resized).jpeg

received_10154318743142314 (resized).jpegreceived_10154318743142314 (resized).jpeg

received_10154316888617314 (resized).jpegreceived_10154316888617314 (resized).jpeg

20170219_150100 (resized).jpg20170219_150100 (resized).jpg

20170212_234610 (resized).jpg20170212_234610 (resized).jpg

20170212_234552 (resized).jpg20170212_234552 (resized).jpg

#1252 7 years ago

Those pf's just look stupid gorgeous

#1253 7 years ago

Gee, EVERY fuse in my Black Hole has been replaced with a higher rated fuse. Wonderful! Finding this out *after* I received my GPE order... SUPERWONDERFUL! Oh, well.. I had enough fuses in stock to replace them all but now I'm out of a couple of values.

I've got the replacement transformer in, all bridges and coils tested, new ni-wumpf mpu and driver boards on the bench, power supply rebuilt and about to wrap up all recommended ground mods. Waiting patiently for my mpu/driver board harness rebuild kit from Docent Electronics to see if this baby fires up. If it does than I may test play it for a bit then take her apart to touch up and clearcoat the upper playfield before we start playing the heck out of it.

#1254 7 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

Those pf's just look stupid gorgeous

Thank you sir!!

#1255 6 years ago

Hoping to finish game this week. Little issue I'm having is that little wire re entry gate that opens and closes every few seconds in attract mode seems very week. It moves very easily by hand so thinking something electrical going on. Any Ideas?

#1256 6 years ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

Hoping to finish game this week. Little issue I'm having is that little wire re entry gate that opens and closes every few seconds in attract mode seems very week. It moves very easily by hand so thinking something electrical going on. Any Ideas?

if you look at the mech below the PF, it is just a simple wire on a rotating peg...See how it turns, maybe it is bent or the spinning action needs to get cleaned up

#1257 6 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

if you look at the mech below the PF, it is just a simple wire on a rotating peg...See how it turns, maybe it is bent or the spinning action needs to get cleaned up

It moves like butter by hand. It's a simple little coil plunger. Not sure what's up. Seems there is not enough travel or weak coil

#1258 6 years ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

Why does it seem weak? is it not moving far enough?

#1259 6 years ago

Instead of opening and closing it goes about 1/2 inch slowly then back. Seems like it dying

#1260 6 years ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

Instead of opening and closing it goes about 1/2 inch slowly then back. Seems like it dying

Does it go all the way if you ground it?

#1261 6 years ago

I'll have to try thst Do it in attract mode ? Which lug to ground ? Thx

#1262 6 years ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

I'll have to try thst Do it in attract mode ? Which lug to ground ? Thx

Mode shouldn't matter. In game might be easier so it's not going on and off itself at the same time. Probably the brown-blue-blue wire, if I'm reading the schematics right

#1263 6 years ago

IT'S ALIVE!!!

FINALLY got my package from Docent Electronics and rebuilt that cpu-driver board connector and installed those beautiful Ni-Wumpf boards. As of this evening, I have a working Black Hole! With some issues, of course, but I played my first games on it!

Issues:

1. When the ball enters the bottom playfield, the flippers don't activate and the "overhead" ( I call them Stadium Lights) don't turn on down there. I get a different sound effect (whoosh?) when it's there but the ball just rolls past the dead flippers, drains and kicks back upstairs. (And it says re-entry failed or something) What activates the lower playfield? The spinner before the entry hole registers, as does the rollover switch just before the hole. What am I missing? Where do those signals go??

2. Player 4 display cuts in and out. Like on for a while. Then off for a while. Not flickering. Probably a connector or cold solder joint, I figure.

3. A couple of the pop bumpers are flaky so...rebuild pop bumper boards with mandatory upgrades (if not present?) or buy 6 new board$$??

4. Oh yeah, the backbox spinning motor has a stripped gearbox. The motor spins but the wheel doesn't. What's the current best fix for this?

A few little things but, most importantly, IT'S ALIVE!!!

#1264 6 years ago

Issue 1 sounds like the relay is not being engaged. Not sure which one it is off hand but in applies power to flippers and lights. I believe sometimes the relay if bumped can become seized. Check the relays move easily and inspect wiring.
Remember the stadium lights are 313 type much higher voltage than any normal pf 44/47 lamp.

2. Edge connector s so no cold solder joints. Do not remove player 4 or any display connector with power on you will damage mpu.

3. Rebuild unless you don't feel comfortable doing so or don't mind spending the money.
Side note if you get new ones I'll be happy to take them.

4. I'll be doing mine in a month or so. But several guys recently have done so they can report. I saw one I think TNT video ?? But the disc was spinning pretty damn fast. I don't know how I feel about that.

#1265 6 years ago
Quoted from MrArt2u:

4. Oh yeah, the backbox spinning motor has a stripped gearbox. The motor spins but the wheel doesn't. What's the current best fix for this?

I bought this motor for mine and completely ditched the stock gear box. It functions at the correct speed at 2RPM. All you have to do is drill the hole bigger for the shaft to fit into the round disc mount with the set screw in the side, then bolt it all back together. Done!

ebay.com link: itm

#1266 6 years ago
Quoted from sohchx:

I bought this motor for mine and completely ditched the stock gear box. It functions at the correct speed at 2RPM. All you have to do is drill the hole bigger for the shaft to fit into the round disc mount with the set screw in the side, then bolt it all back together. Done!
ebay.com link

How'd you mount it?

#1267 6 years ago

Good question. Does that motor mount right up??

Going back to my item 1, no lower playfield illumination or flippers. I checked out the L relay, cleaned all contacts, confirmed it was getting 24 volts and buzzed the connection all the way to the driver board. I swapped driver boards with the one in my Punk and the game played as it should. So the problem is on the board.

Item 2, the sporadically dead but often alive player 4 display. It's the display. I moved it to player 3 and the problems followed. So, what do I check on the displays?

3. Pop bumper boards. I'll likely use the kits from Big daddy. I used them on my Punk and all was good.

4. The spinning wheel motor. I'm investigating the eBay link that Sohchx posted.

So, now that I know this game works, do I have time to touch up, clearcoat (and cure to my liking) this upper playfield before Pin a Go Go and the Steve Charland tribute lineup? I've got a ton of projects going already. I need to decide fast!

#1268 6 years ago
Quoted from MrArt2u:

So the problem is on the board.

Probably just the transistor

Quoted from MrArt2u:

So, what do I check on the displays?

Reflow all the pins and examine where the glass connects, maybe one of them has snapped

#1269 6 years ago
Quoted from MrArt2u:

So, what do I check on the displays?

Check traces. Needed to do this on one of my Spiderman displays.. I guess I could have went straight to the other solder point and skipped the trace all together Good luck.

IMG_6655 (resized).JPGIMG_6655 (resized).JPG

#1270 6 years ago

finishing up my nightmare black hole but there is light at the end of the tunnel...

added back the missing ball release assembly (thanks pinball resource) and coil on lower pf all wired up and in game it works!!!! however I still cant get the upkicker coil to fire. New coil, fuse good, newish transistor....I am getting about 16v or so at both teeh ball release coil and the upkicker coil.....when i ground lug on ball release coil it fires. when i ground lug on upkicker coil I get nothing but a little spark. Ill double check wiring but looking for things I can check....

#1271 6 years ago

Where exactly are you measuring that 16V?

#1272 6 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Where exactly are you measuring that 16V?

After double checking the fuse was bad. Replaced it and still not working. Where should I check voltages?

Need to check wiring. On the ball release coil touching lug activates coil. On the upkicker I got a big spark.

#1273 6 years ago

My guess would be you're touching the wrong lug or have it wired wrong. Usually a spark means you're shorting something

#1274 6 years ago

Yep. Gonna investigate wiring. Anyone have a pic of the upkicker lug wiring?

#1275 6 years ago

Getting closer. Corrected some wiring issues and now I can ground lug and vuk coil fires. Start a game send ball to lower pf and my release coil works perfect ball enters tube I get the reentry attempt has failed.

Now why won't coil fire. I tested the trans and I'm pretty sure it passed. What can I check now? Thx!

#1276 6 years ago

I'd test the lower transistor next. Try grounding the lug that the pull-up resistor goes to

#1277 6 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

I'd test the lower transistor next. Try grounding the lug that the pull-up resistor goes to

That's my next thing. I dont have pull up resistor mod though. I'm not sure which lug to ground

#1278 6 years ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

That's my next thing. I dont have pull up resistor mod though. I'm not sure which lug to ground

It'll probably be the one with the thinner wire that goes to the lamp/driver board. Brown-red-red, maybe?

#1279 6 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

It'll probably be the one with the thinner wire that goes to the lamp/driver board. Brown-red-red, maybe?

Makes sense I'll try

#1280 6 years ago

Ok grounded the working trans coil fires. Grounded vuk and no fire. That's helpful. Replace transistor next. Wish I had parts like this on hand

#1281 6 years ago

Shoulda grabbed a few from PBR with your gate mech

#1282 6 years ago

The resistor mod if you look closely is just a change in value. Some early units shipped with wrong value. So follow the base wire over to nearby resistor board if it's 4.7k yellow violet red your All done. If it's 10k change to the above value. The offical technical bulletin shows adding a resistor value in line with base wire which is misleading as you are not increasing the value but decreasing it.

#1283 6 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Shoulda grabbed a few from PBR with your gate mech

I know. Ordered a bunch from Jameco

#1284 6 years ago

Ok. Transistor in and it now it controls the coil as expected. However, Coil locks on at power on so Looks like q15 is shorted open and now i need to order that . Looks like an mps -u45 Is this avail from pin vendors? Or newer version?

I have fixed all wire issues that caused this. So light at end of tunnel.

#1285 6 years ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

Ok. Transistor in and it now it controls the coil as expected. However, Coil locks on at power on so Looks like q15 is shorted open and now i need to order that . Looks like an mps -u45 Is this avail from pin vendors? Or newer version?
I have fixed all wire issues that caused this. So light at end of tunnel.

Check if there's any unused ones you can steal off the board

#1286 6 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Check if there's any unused ones you can steal off the board

Thst would be too easy . Any guesses?

#1289 6 years ago

I actually just bought a BH 3 weeks ago and its being delivered Wed. its my 2nd machine and I cant wait.

1 week later
#1290 6 years ago

Is there an easy way to remove the balls without taking the apron off?

#1291 6 years ago

Nevermind I figured it out

#1292 6 years ago
Quoted from jboner1058:

Nevermind I figured it out

Did you just manually do the eject?

#1293 6 years ago
Quoted from blownfuse:

On my game, I did the conversion and used a A-20095 super flipper coil, the power coil is 1.55 ohms and can make the ball fly up the tube if that's what you want. [...] It's been documented in the link below but it's something that not everyone wants to do or should, it's just another choice;
http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Gottlieb_System_80#Black_Hole_Ball_Lift_Kicker_Mod

Has anyone an active link to this? I want to try that mod, but can't find any instructions... Thanks!

Edit: Nevermind Found it! Just the link won't work directly, you have to click through Games/BH/etc.. manually.

#1294 6 years ago

Yeah I did. I'm so used to data east which has an easy to reach one from under the playfield I didn't even think to look at the side

#1295 6 years ago

Hello to everybody!

After several years I was able to get my own BH! Woohoo! so excited...! But, as expected I'm finding a handsome of odd issues with the machine, maybe you guys can help me on its' behavior...

1. The Game Over light will remain on -all the time- even during "normal" gameplay. Any ideas of where could be the fault?
2. The center disc spins way too fast based on the several videos I've seen. Maybe a wring motor was installed afterwards?

Many thanks to all!

~ja

#1296 6 years ago
Quoted from mayuh:

Has anyone an active link to this? I want to try that mod, but can't find any instructions... Thanks!
Edit: Nevermind Found it! Just the link won't work directly, you have to click through Games/BH/etc.. manually.

Cliffy sells this bracket with the switch installed already. Its not on his site, but he has it if you ask.

#1297 6 years ago
Quoted from mayuh:

Decided not to use mine. I'll sell for 20 shipped.

#1298 6 years ago

replacing q15 that controls the coil for the upkicker...its a u45. Steve sent me these little mps w45a. I thought it was a mistake so I called and he said nope he has been using those for 5 years....anyone else use these? they just look to small and dont look anything like the metal tab trans that is on q15.

#1299 6 years ago

CEN-U45 is the non-obsolete direct replacement. That being said, the w45a is similar, just carries 1A instead of 2A. Not sure how many amps are actually carried on those, so it might work just fine.

#1300 6 years ago

The MPS-U45 was 2A. Seems odd to step down to a 1A component, rather than to something that is the same or greater.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
Flipper parts
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 83.00
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts
Electronics
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball
Other
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
Machine - For Sale
Bellefonte, PA
3,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Salinas, CA
There are 3,285 posts in this topic. You are on page 26 of 66.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/black-hole-club-members-only/page/26?hl=fourthassassin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.