PXL_20231029_053936841 (resized).jpg
PXL_20231029_053945558 (resized).jpg
PXL_20231029_053803807 (resized).jpg
IMG_3922 (resized).jpeg
Sys80 Coin Box Bracket (resized).JPG
IMG_9041 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9045 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

6 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 3,285 posts in this topic. You are on page 24 of 66.
#1151 7 years ago

Hey guys,

I'M FINALLY IN THE CLUB!!! I picked up a non-working game this week. Once I find a small transformer to replace the one someone scavenged off of my game I'll be able to properly decide how far I want to fall into this rabbit, er, BLACK HOLE! You guys have posted some really amazing mods and machines. I can't wait to jump in!

I've go a few wear spots on the playfield, enough that I'm considering touching up and clearing it to protect it for years to come. Anyhow, I'm sure I'll have a ton of questions along the way but, don't worry, I'll use the search feature first..

#1152 7 years ago

Joined the club about a week ago... waited to get my machine LED'd out to post a pic. Already rolled the score board too, so looks like I need to do the 7 digit display mod.

20170215_185117 (resized).jpg20170215_185117 (resized).jpg

1486264749897 (resized).jpg1486264749897 (resized).jpg

#1153 7 years ago

Anyone need plastics? I've got my old set that I no longer need. Has the typical yellowing and the top field left corner is broken. The rest are in good shape.

#1154 7 years ago
Quoted from MrArt2u:

Once I find a small transformer to replace the one someone scavenged off of my game I'll be able to properly decide how far I want to fall into this rabbit, er, BLACK HOLE!

Welcome to the gang! I have noticed over the years way to many machines getting parted out on eBay. Sound like your transformer was grabbed to save a different machine.

I would try TNT amusements or other larger guys like LTG they may have a transformer.

I just finished board work for another pinsider free play and NVram so if you need any work done let me know.

I did the seven digit mod a nice long evening project. Need some courage for that one.

#1155 7 years ago

I sure could use plastics I want a new set for my birthday but ....Many of mine are now chipped

#1156 7 years ago

Anyone know a place that has the board stand offs inside the head? I haven't asked pbr yet, but I will after the weekend.

#1157 7 years ago

Thanks for the welcome! I can't wait to get this game going! I look at it every day longingly...

A fellow Pinsider is hooking me up with a transformer, and it looks like a friend has got a Ni-wumpf board I can plug in. The game came without a driver board so, as of right now, I am in need of one as well. There's still one more place for me to look for it but it's looking like I'll be in the market for one, if anyone has a spare...

Cheers!

Quoted from CNKay:

Welcome to the gang! I have noticed over the years way to many machines getting parted out on eBay. Sound like your transformer was grabbed to save a different machine.
I would try TNT amusements or other larger guys like LTG they may have a transformer.
I just finished board work for another pinsider free play and NVram so if you need any work done let me know.
I did the seven digit mod a nice long evening project. Need some courage for that one.

#1158 7 years ago

MPU question. If I go with a stock mpu from another game (Mars God of War) how do I convert to Black Hole? I'm guessing the U2/U3 eprom adapter from GPE to start. Where can I get Black Hole eprom (or the files) and is there anything else I'd need to do??

Driver board question. Do all Sys 80 driver boards work or is one preferred?

#1159 7 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

Anyone know a place that has the board stand offs inside the head? I haven't asked pbr yet, but I will after the weekend.

Great Plains Electronics has a bunch of standoffs, not sure if it's what you need, but check there!

#1160 7 years ago
Quoted from MrArt2u:

MPU question. If I go with a stock mpu from another game (Mars God of War) how do I convert to Black Hole? I'm guessing the U2/U3 eprom adapter from GPE to start. Where can I get Black Hole eprom (or the files) and is there anything else I'd need to do??
Driver board question. Do all Sys 80 driver boards work or is one preferred?

You shouldn't need any adapter. I just burned the ROM onto a 2716 and dropped it in, no problem.

#1161 7 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

You shouldn't need any adapter. I just burned the ROM onto a 2716 and dropped it in, no problem.

That makes it easier. So, what does this adapter do? https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=140-101

#1162 7 years ago

I think it lets you use one new ROM to replace both original roms, and allows for more space (which 80b games used). Not 100% sure though. I was able to take a board from my time line, replace only the game ROM, and use it in my Black hole.

#1163 7 years ago

Teaser thank you to zitt!! Great mod

IMG_3030 (resized).JPGIMG_3030 (resized).JPG

#1164 7 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

» YouTube video

That's awesome! WANT!

IMG_3859 (resized).JPGIMG_3859 (resized).JPG

#1165 7 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

» YouTube video

I am interested...

#1166 7 years ago
Quoted from BlueBlood:

I am interested...

It is pretty cool! I got red buttons and blue to test with. Contact Zitt (pinside name) also here is his site:
http://pinball-mods.com/oscom/modifications-do-it-yourself-flipper-button-mod-early-solid-state-p-5.html

I'll be writing up a install guide etc as well.

#1167 7 years ago
Quoted from sohchx:

Gotta love that non adhesive Pop mylar!!!

unfortunately, that's an extremely common wear pattern for this game.

#1168 7 years ago
Quoted from BlueBlood:

I am interested...

As am I!!!

#1169 7 years ago

Here is zitt on the forum
https://pinside.com/pinball/community/pinsiders/zitt

Start button
http://pinball-mods.com/oscom/replacement-parts-early-solid-state-pinball-button-p-12.html

start button housing aka the ring around the start button
http://pinball-mods.com/oscom/replacement-parts-early-solid-state-housing-p-11.html

led
http://pinball-mods.com/oscom/modifications-do-it-yourself-flipper-button-mod-early-solid-state-p-5.html

I did blue/blue and white led's. I think I bought the last white led. If he gets enough interest maybe he'll make more! I also got smoke ring/housing and red button(s) just in the start button and I'll light that up too. I thought about red for flippers but I really really like the blue.

Little more action

I'll do a more install/solder soon

#1170 7 years ago

Yeah; the wasn't a lot of interest in this mod to justify a full run of White LED parts.
However, if I can get a enough people interested - I might get some made.

#1171 7 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

Yeah; the wasn't a lot of interest in this mod to justify a full run of White LED parts.
However, if I can get a enough people interested - I might get some made.

I think we should show this to the Haunted house, 80's bally and gotlieb game threads and get a big order in!

#1172 7 years ago

Exactly how many is "enough"?? I want this soooooooooo badly.

#1173 7 years ago

To be cost effective; we need to do 50 in neutral white leds - that would be 25 "sets" of 2 for a normal machine.
Haunted house should be covered already with the Green buttons and Green LEDs.

#1174 7 years ago

What the hell have I done! I added the three pull-up resistors to the lower playfield, followed the pinwiki. Picture shown is one blown, all three have done it now and blew two chips on my pascal board for (L8) ball gate. The two board transistors for (L12 & L14) still good thankfully. Replaced the chips, cut the resistors out, ball gate and upkicker back to normal. I'm at a loss, any suggestions on why they blew? Very hesitant to put any pull-up resistors back.

#1175 7 years ago

Did some work this weekend. Touched up the pop wear and laid down clear on both play fields. Top and bottom are like glass.

received_10154316888617314 (resized).jpegreceived_10154316888617314 (resized).jpeg

received_10154318742482314 (resized).jpegreceived_10154318742482314 (resized).jpeg

received_10154318743142314 (resized).jpegreceived_10154318743142314 (resized).jpeg

20170219_150036 (resized).jpg20170219_150036 (resized).jpg

20170219_150100 (resized).jpg20170219_150100 (resized).jpg

#1176 7 years ago
Quoted from BlueBlood:

What the hell have I done! I added the three pull-up resistors to the lower playfield, followed the pinwiki. Picture shown is one blown, all three have done it now and blew two chips on my pascal board for (L8) ball gate. The two board transistors for (L12 & L14) still good thankfully. Replaced the chips, cut the resistors out, ball gate and upkicker back to normal. I'm at a loss, any suggestions on why they blew? Very hesitant to put any pull-up resistors back.

So was there no pull ups installed originally? Curious because the burnt one in the picture has stock wiring colors

#1177 7 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

So was there no pull ups installed originally? Curious because the burnt one in the picture has stock wiring colors

Yes there was only one 10k originally on only one transistor. But I think it was a dumbass move on my part. Bought resistors and grabbed them out of the 4.7k ohm bin, they burned and I thought something else was wrong. As soon as I posted the pic, I zoomed in on the picture...can you see what mistake was made?
I noticed my mistake and drained the post for two reasons: 1. To not look like a complete idiot, 2. Not to take anyone's time trying to help me figure out a problem I immediately found. Sometimes it's too simple.

#1178 7 years ago

yellow purple gold = 4.7 ohms...
That's a bad problem when you want 4.7k....

#1179 7 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

yellow purple gold = 4.7 ohms...
That's a bad problem when you want 4.7k....

Yep, never assume the employees put them into the correct bin!

#1180 7 years ago

How in the world do you get the backglass out of these things? I have removed all of the screws that I can seen but cant seem to get the glass past the two silver brackets on the outer edge of the back box.

#1181 7 years ago

Alright guys if you are wanting the flipper button mod from Zitt. Post up in his thread and lets get him a list so he knows the interest!

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fs-custom-bally-flipper-button-mod

#1182 7 years ago
Quoted from sohchx:

How in the world do you get the backglass out of these things? I have removed all of the screws that I can seen but cant seem to get the glass past the two silver brackets on the outer edge of the back box.

Inner or outer glass?

#1183 7 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Inner or outer glass?

Inner. I just want to be able to swap bulbs and clean it out

#1184 7 years ago
Quoted from sohchx:

Inner. I just want to be able to swap bulbs and clean it out

On mine I removed the screws holding the black trim on the outer edge and then slid it out

#1185 7 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

On mine I removed the screws holding the black trim on the outer edge and then slid it out

I was going to say, I think it slides out the side (that opens) but it looked like it was on little rails.

#1186 7 years ago

After I got mine I removed the inner glass by removing the small piece of trim closest to the locking mech, 4-6 tiny screws I think. The inner glass seemed to be glued in, I guess from years of not being removed with the possibility of soda being spilled into it. Very carefully I slowly wiggled the glass loose after spraying cleaner into the the top and bottom track. Scrubbed clean afterwards, slides like a champ.

#1187 7 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

That is what I attempted ,but I didn't want to scratch the glass. It's entirely to close to the lock brackets to risk

#1188 7 years ago
Quoted from BlueBlood:

After I got mine I removed the inner glass by removing the small piece of trim closest to the locking mech, 4-6 tiny screws I think. The inner glass seemed to be glued in, I guess from years of not being removed with the possibility of soda being spilled into it. Very carefully I slowly wiggled the glass loose after spraying cleaner into the the top and bottom track. Scrubbed clean afterwards, slides like a champ.

This is exactly what I did, and I actually removed two more screws than you mentioned. I'm going to try slide it sideways one more time.

#1189 7 years ago

I tried removing the black trim and slide it out but it hit the two right locking brackets. May need to remove those or take the four bolts out that hold the liner to the frame.

#1190 7 years ago

Got the glass removed ,thanks guys!!

#1191 7 years ago
Quoted from sohchx:

Did some work this weekend. Touched up the pop wear and laid down clear on both play fields. Top and bottom are like glass.

ugh that is so gorgeous with clear Want mine nice too but I am no good with touch up painting. Maybe some day we can get repro pf's.

#1192 7 years ago
Quoted from BlueBlood:

I am interested...

Quoted from sohchx:

Exactly how many is "enough"?? I want this soooooooooo badly.

post up in this thread and we will make a list

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fs-custom-bally-flipper-button-mod#post-3626583

#1193 7 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

ugh that is so gorgeous with clear Want mine nice too but I am no good with touch up painting. Maybe some day we can get repro pf's.

The color matching is the hardest part. Took me hours to get them even close.

#1194 7 years ago
Quoted from sohchx:

The color matching is the hardest part. Took me hours to get them even close.

The only real nasty wear is the rings around the pops. Man if we could get a scan and make a decal, I think we would have a lot of happy campers However finding one in good shape will take some work and then to scan it.

How does the game play with a clear pf?!?!? Has to be fast now!

Is there any recommended protection for the pf around the window so it doesn't wear the wood anymore? I was thinking a small strip of the clear sticker protector around the window/pf *oh man spacing out hard on the name*

#1195 7 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

How does the game play with a clear pf?!?!? Has to be fast now!
Is there any recommended protection for the pf around the window so it doesn't wear the wood anymore? I was thinking a small strip of the clear sticker protector around the window/pf *oh man spacing out hard on the name*

No idea how it plays yet as it isn't reassembled. But I assume that it will play very fast similar to the other fields that I have cleared in the past. As far as protection around the window I would think that a strip of Mylar laid down around the top edges and folded over into the lip that the window sits in would suffice. Also, checking the leveling and adjusting the screws periodically would obviously help. I personally dont use Mylar after I clear being that the clear is so deep it would take a long time for any wear to begin. I have fields in games that I cleared almost 5 years ago that are still flawless, so it must be working lol

#1196 7 years ago
Quoted from sohchx:

No idea how it plays yet as it isn't reassembled. But I assume that it will play very fast similar to the other fields that I have cleared in the past. As far as protection around the window I would think that a strip of Mylar laid down around the top edges and folded over into the lip that the window sits in would suffice. Also, checking the leveling and adjusting the screws periodically would obviously help. I personally dont use Mylar after I clear being that the clear is so deep it would take a long time for any wear to begin. I have fields in games that I cleared almost 5 years ago that are still flawless, so it must be working lol

MYLAR! That is the word. Yes, I agree. I think there is some mylar on the top and bottom edges, but I have a new window for it.

Cleared pf should almost need nothing! That should be a mint game for a long long time

#1197 7 years ago

Looks like I need a BH sound board...MIOne had been raided for parts and looks like its a tough repair. Are these avail or someone made a newer version? Thx!

#1198 7 years ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

Looks like I need a BH sound board...MIOne had been raided for parts and looks like its a tough repair. Are these avail or someone made a newer version? Thx!

I just bought a Fred Swemmer sound board from K's Arcade for mine, came with new roms too.
https://ksarcade.net/swe-system-80-sound-speech.html

#1199 7 years ago
Quoted from BlueBlood:

I just bought a Fred Swemmer sound board from K's Arcade for mine, came with new roms too.
https://ksarcade.net/swe-system-80-sound-speech.html

Thx! Just grabbed one.

#1200 7 years ago

Does anyone here happen to know what's the power and the motor load (resistance) for the circuit that runs the spinner?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
Flipper parts
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball
Other
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 83.00
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts
Electronics
3,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Salinas, CA
Machine - For Sale
Bellefonte, PA
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 3,285 posts in this topic. You are on page 24 of 66.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/black-hole-club-members-only/page/24?hl=blueblood and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.