IMG_3287 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7439 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240103_220434164.jpg
IMG_5107 (resized).jpeg
PXL_20231029_054015295 (resized).jpg
PXL_20231029_053936841 (resized).jpg
PXL_20231029_053945558 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

6 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 3,291 posts in this topic. You are on page 22 of 66.
#1051 7 years ago

Any Black Hole gurus want to have a look at my display issue thread? I'd really appreciate it.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/black-hole-displays-flash-bright-garbage-anytime-a-coil-fires#post-3363876

#1052 7 years ago

Sorry can't help one of the downsides of the aftermarket boards.

#1053 7 years ago
Quoted from Archieball:

Hi guys!
Are there any colour codes for it floating around?

I suggest bringing a sample (or the whole machine ... no, I'm not kidding) to your local paint shop and have them match it. As sun exposure and time will likely have changed the color a bit, go for an area beneath the lockdown bar, or other concealed spot.

Good luck!

#1054 7 years ago

I have not tried it yet but some smart phones have color grab app to generate the Pantone color. May be worth a shot.

#1055 7 years ago
Quoted from CNKay:

I have not tried it yet but some smart phones have color grab app to generate the Pantone color. May be worth a shot.

I've tried ... it does an admiral job, but nothing close to what a pro can do. My local Benjamin Moore guy matched a color dead-on in 2 minutes.

#1056 7 years ago

Does anybody have any tips or modifications that they have done
to make the kick-out from the lower playfield more reliable? On my machine the ball fails to kick out about 1 in 10 times.

#1057 7 years ago

Thanks, Pinster68. I think I will bring the whole backbox to the paint shop to have it matched. It will be the last part of my restoration!

I now have my machine up and running! It works well, except for the fact that I'm having a problem with airballs. During a normal game I would say that the ball hits the glass four to five times, either bouncing off the pop bumpers or the flippers. I have the super flipper coils installed, an I am starting to think that they are too strong. :/

1 week later
#1058 7 years ago

Anyone know the correct coil for the lower playfield ball kicker, the one that sends the ball up the tube? The manual lists 2 different kickers and I'm not sure which is which?

#1059 7 years ago
Quoted from solarvalue:

Anyone know the correct coil for the lower playfield ball kicker, the one that sends the ball up the tube? The manual lists 2 different kickers and I'm not sure which is which?

It's A-4893. If you search this thread for 'kicker' you'll come across some non-stock option people are using based on this mod:

http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Black_Hole#Black_Hole_Ball_Lift_Kicker_Mod

#1060 7 years ago

Former member for ~10 years. I remember playing BH on location when it first came out and it was brutal, for my skill level. Then I would move over to the more forgiving HH. It was great fun once I owned one and was able to play it often. For years I played it without the ball gate on the lower level and it would lock up if you didn't close at least one switch on the lower level before draining. I finally got a clue from Shabow on RGP and sourced the part.

Here's a parts lot for sale with System 80 parts and some BH specific parts - all new from PBR. Leftovers from my Sys80 days. I also have a kit from The Pinball Lizard for using a PB Driver board on the HH up kicker tube. I used the PB Driver Board, but the harness and instructions are there and I'll throw it in this lot.

Parts - For Sale
New (selling multiple, business) - “3” Flipper Plastic A13150 4 bumper cap (BH) a-21298 2 clear post 2 clear post 1 PAL nuts GTB-SC125 25 tent rollover guides(BH) GTB-C15647W 2 Lane guides - single sided(BH) GT...”
2017-01-03
Glen Gardner, NJ
Archived after: 49 days
Viewed: 170 times

#1061 7 years ago

Does anyone know what kind of bulb fixture was used in the middle pop cap in this video? It seems to have various light patterns displayed depending on game mode and when it is hit.

#1062 7 years ago

How should I answer this? He didn't even care Black Hole was talking way more.

It's my mod I created PM me if you would like one. Although I don't think I have any pre made at this time. I wish I got more support when I was first trying to sell these and thought it was great!

Or you can make your own using.
https://www.adafruit.com/product/1463

I know one of the early ones I sold at a loss never even got put into a machine.

1 week later
#1063 7 years ago

Man I went to do some mods and repairs/clean up on my BH and the GI blew out. All the original boards (not pascal) are gonna be shipped off to CoinOp Cauldron. When they are out, I can start the teardown/clean up!!! I want this bad boy playing for xmas

#1064 7 years ago

Hi all,

I just got my Black Hole up and running and I got to multiball for the first time yesterday. There is one really crazy sound during multiball, hard to describe, I take it this is normal and not just on my game.

#1065 7 years ago

You can compare to a simulation game like the pinball arcade or take a video of multiball and post it here. Congtats on getting it going one of the harder multiballs to start for sure. My one brother in law has never gotten it.
Oh and in 5 ball yellow spot targets are not remembered and in 3 ball made yellow spots are remembered. So in 3 ball you have a little bit more of a chance.

3 weeks later
#1066 7 years ago

Does anyone have this issue (the sling on the left side above the top flipper or captive ball) slings the ball so hard that I fear it's going to break something?

#1067 7 years ago
Quoted from Yesh23:

Does anyone have this issue (the sling on the left side above the top flipper or captive ball) slings the ball so hard that I fear it's going to break something?

There's a coil for it right? (I'm not sure how they made those slings spark) I'd check to make sure it is the correct one.

#1068 7 years ago

Yes, there's a coil. I looked at it and I'll look again but I think it was maybe a 1466, can't really remember. Does anyone know what the correct coil would be?

#1069 7 years ago
Quoted from Yesh23:

Yes, there's a coil. I looked at it and I'll look again but I think it was maybe a 1466, can't really remember. Does anyone know what the correct coil would be?

Looks like A-1496.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

2 weeks later
#1070 7 years ago

Which plastic part do I need. Mine is red

IMG_5592 (resized).JPGIMG_5592 (resized).JPG

#1071 7 years ago

It should be white, not red.

Steve

Quoted from billsfanmd:

Which plastic part do I need. Mine is red

#1072 7 years ago
Quoted from blownfuse:

It should be white, not red.
Steve

part number? how about flipper rubber part #? I know gottlieb have weird bands. Super bands ok?

#1073 7 years ago

I'm still not able to walk steady enough so I can't get to my parts manual downstairs. Sorry,

Steve

#1074 7 years ago
Quoted from blownfuse:

I'm still not able to walk steady enough so I can't get to my parts manual downstairs. Sorry,
Steve

I'll find a manual. Was happy to see you respond. You've helped me in the past on previous Bh I have worked on Hope your feeling better

#1075 7 years ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

part number? how about flipper rubber part #? I know gottlieb have weird bands. Super bands ok?

BH playfield parts at link below. Flipper bands are personal preference but just make sure to get the 3/8-in height size.

http://www.pbresource.com/Blackhole.html#pp

#1076 7 years ago

A-9393 (A9393W from PBResource)

The flippers use an A-13151 rubber, 3/8" wide x 1-1/2"

#1077 7 years ago

The red and ?white? captive hole targets look out of place as well. All 4 should be yellow. hootowls link to PBR has them listed.

#1078 7 years ago

Thx for replies. I have copy of manual. Where is the rubber rings listed. Did not see them listed

#1079 7 years ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

Thx for replies. I have copy of manual. Where is the rubber rings listed. Did not see them listed

On one of the pages that shows the playfield layout. The rubbers are listed in Gottlieb's part number format, rather than in inches.

Here's the chart for part numbers to measurements:

http://pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Gottlieb_System_80#Rubber_Ring_Chart

#1080 7 years ago

In the shop trying to bring game to life. Turn game on get loud hissing from sound board. First thing to check? Power supply ? Getting 5v. And 12v LED is lit. Thev42v measures around 49 and the 60 is reading 68. Any other things to check first ? I'm going over the pin wiki also

#1081 7 years ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

In the shop trying to bring game to life. Turn game on get loud hissing from sound board. First thing to check? Power supply ? Getting 5v. And 12v LED is lit. Thev42v measures around 49 and the 60 is reading 68. Any other things to check first ? I'm going over the pin wiki also

Is the grounding fix done on the main board jumper/plug?

Could try cleaning the boards contacts for the plugs. TNT says to use this fiberglass stick thinger....I should order one too...

#1082 7 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

Is the grounding fix done on the main board jumper/plug?
Could try cleaning the boards contacts for the plugs. TNT says to use this fiberglass stick thinger....I should order one too...

Im doing ground mods. Tying all boards to ps bracket

Noticed the up kicker from lower pf looks like it was locked up at some point. . Cool sleeve melted inside if it. Was this common issue? Replacing cool, sleeve and diode

#1083 7 years ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

Noticed the up kicker from lower pf looks like it was locked up at some point. . Cool sleeve melted inside if it. Was this common issue? Replacing cool, sleeve and diode

Very common. Probably fried the transistor as well.

#1084 7 years ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

Very common. Get Cliffy's eos mod and test both transistors. Don't forget pull-up resistors on under pf transistors

#1085 7 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Very common. Get Cliffy's eos mod and test both transistors. Don't forget pull-up resistors on under pf transistors

What's cliffy eos mod ?

#1086 7 years ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

What's cliffy eos mod ?

email cliffy, it's a mod for the up kicker to change strength of coil, i think.

#1087 7 years ago

Actually, it's one of my mods, it's designed to not burn the coil again should the 5VDC or ground fail at the interconnect. Part of the reason the upkicker coil burns is because it's over fused (6A slo-blo). Using a super flipper coil at the upkicker made sense since a flipper coil can be activated and not burn up, even when powered for a long period of time.

The problem GTB had was using a SB fuse that can protect the coil, during multiball, the coil can get hot if upkicker gets used a lot during game play and the fuse blows. This makes BH a lawn ornament and a money loser on location. So .... they overfused it to keep the coil running, even when warm.

Pinwiki goes into this mod and Cliffy makes a professional looking switch bracket that I designed for it so you don't have to. The bonus of this mod is that it also allows you to adjust the strength of the upkicker too, this can save upper playfield parts from breaking should the ball beat on them.

Steve
System 80, not just a job, it's an adventure

#1088 7 years ago
Quoted from blownfuse:

Actually, it's one of my mods, it's designed to not burn the coil again should the 5VDC or ground fail at the interconnect. Part of the reason the upkicker coil burns is because it's over fused (6A slo-blo). Using a super flipper coil at the upkicker made sense since a flipper coil can be activated and not burn up, even when powered for a long period of time.
The problem GTB had was using a SB fuse that can protect the coil, during multiball, the coil can get hot if upkicker gets used a lot during game play and the fuse blows. This makes BH a lawn ornament and a money loser on location. So .... they overfused it to keep the coil running, even when warm.
Pinwiki goes into this mod and Cliffy makes a professional looking switch bracket that I designed for it so you don't have to. The bonus of this mod is that it also allows you to adjust the strength of the upkicker too, this can save upper playfield parts from breaking should the ball beat on them.
Steve

So does this mod inlclude new coil snd diode and bracket ? If not which coil should I buy? Thx Steve !

#1089 7 years ago

http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Black_Hole

Look up #6 You'll need a super flipper coil, I believe Cliffy sells the EOS bracket with the switch installed. It should also come with wires attached.

Steve

#1090 7 years ago

Thx Steve...

What page are the rubber rings part number on? I have a photo copy of the manual but its out of order. cant seem to locate the page.

#1091 7 years ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

So does this mod inlclude new coil snd diode and bracket ? If not which coil should I buy? Thx Steve !

I never bothered with a new coil, just used the original. Since it's not a flipper coil with a low power hold winding, the mech will just fire repeatedly if it sticks on. In a home environment I found that much more useful to be informed my upkicker had failed than it just silently locking on.

#1092 7 years ago

The uplicker coil usually doesn't cook if it keeps firing untill it warms up and the coil resistance weakens. Most of the time, you'll hear it or see it while playing. However, it will engage and silently cook rather quickly if the 5VDC or ground for the driver board fail at the interconnect. By the time you hear it, it's too late.

I found that I couldn't be around my game during a show or in my gameroom enough to catch it before the damage so I needed to find a solution to the issue.

Since installing the mod over 7 years ago, my BH has been solid and I consider the upkicker bulletpooof. I'm also able to adjust the speed the ball comes up the tube so none of my main playfield plastics have been damaged anymore. It used to fly up, rattle around at the gate and crack/break plastics, even hit the glass.

Steve

#1093 7 years ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

Thx Steve...
What page are the rubber rings part number on? I have a photo copy of the manual but its out of order. cant seem to locate the page.

Page 39 for the lower playfield and page 41 for the top.

#1094 7 years ago
Quoted from hootowls:

Page 39 for the lower playfield and page 41 for the top.

Thx!

#1095 7 years ago
Quoted from blownfuse:

The uplicker coil usually doesn't cook if it keeps firing untill it warms up and the coil resistance weakens. Most of the time, you'll hear it or see it while playing. However, it will engage and silently cook rather quickly if the 5VDC or ground for the driver board fail at the interconnect. By the time you hear it, it's too late.
I found that I couldn't be around my game during a show or in my gameroom enough to catch it before the damage so I needed to find a solution to the issue.
Since installing the mod over 7 years ago, my BH has been solid and I consider the upkicker bulletpooof. I'm also able to adjust the speed the ball comes up the tube so none of my main playfield plastics have been damaged anymore. It used to fly up, rattle around at the gate and crack/break plastics, even hit the glass.
Steve

Steve. Neither pinball life or pb resource have a-20095 that coil. In ordering parts from both. Is there a similar coil I can use ?

#1096 7 years ago

Are they just out of stock? I've always bought my A-20095 coils from PBR. I would think that there are many sources for GTB coils but I've never had to look for them before.

Steve

#1097 7 years ago
Quoted from blownfuse:

Are they just out of stock? I've always bought my A-20095 coils from PBR. I would think that there are many sources for GTB coils but I've never had to look for them before.
Steve

Just did not see them looking through coils on site

#1098 7 years ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

Just did not see them looking through coils on site

It's listed as part number GTB-A20095

http://www.pbresource.com/coilgtb.html

#1099 7 years ago

Thx. Added to my email.

Funny Manusl says lower pf flipper is regular size. I thought gottlieb use thst skinny flipper rubber

#1100 7 years ago

Hey guys, purchased a Black Hole about a month ago, but am just now getting to it. I put in a new Vreg, and a new Schewmmer sound board in there, but everything else is pretty much factory. When I boot the pin up, I get 000000 on all the displays so all looks good initially. Then, when I coin up and hit the start button, I get a flashing 0 on the Player 1 display, and a 1 on the Ball in Play display (which I assume is normal). However, no ball comes out of the trough, and the flippers are non-functional. Any idea what my troubleshooting path would be at this point? Driver board?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

Machine - For Sale
Ottawa, ON
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 83.00
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 3,291 posts in this topic. You are on page 22 of 66.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/black-hole-club-members-only/page/22 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.