IMG_3287 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7439 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240103_220434164.jpg
IMG_5107 (resized).jpeg
PXL_20231029_054015295 (resized).jpg
PXL_20231029_053936841 (resized).jpg
PXL_20231029_053945558 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

6 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 3,291 posts in this topic. You are on page 21 of 66.
#1001 8 years ago
Quoted from KevinG-ATL:

Hi Folks.
I officially join your hallowed ranks on Saturday afternoon!
However, it's got to come up out of a basement. 8-(
Any recommendations on lightening the load to get it up the stairs? I'm can't use a dolly for various reasons, so it will have to be carried up the stairs.
I don't have any familiarity with this pin from the inside and this will be my first system 80.
After I pull the backbox legs and glass, what else can I do to lighten the cab to get it up the stairs?
Is the main playfield a simple slide out once everything is uncabled from the backbox? Or are there other wiring harnesses to the cab and if so, are they all Molexed? or would I need to jump through some hoops to pull the playfield out?
Any recommendations would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Kevin

Uffda. If you can't use a dolly or escalara. The shoulder straps dolly kit I've used it good.

http://m.homedepot.com/p/Shoulder-Dolly-800-lb-Moving-Straps-LD1000/204726780

To make lighter, the lower playfield isn't too bad to unplug and remove. The main of May not be bad either. Could also take the glass, head, legs and pfs out.

It's a wide and heavy game. Good luck.

#1002 8 years ago

Whatever you do... try to pull the backglasses. that will lighten the load... and protect those valuable pieces from becoming a mess if jarred unexpectedly. Also either removed the bottom PF... or secure it with a screw before you move it.

#1003 7 years ago

Finally got my wife playing!

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#1004 7 years ago

Just got done shopping this with comet LEDs and blue Titans.

image_(resized).jpgimage_(resized).jpg

#1005 7 years ago

I know both playfields can be disconnected and removed, but I don't remember how many connections. I had both out when I cleaned and waxed them, but its been many moons ago....

#1006 7 years ago

I am still hoping Wade Cruse or CPR can run a repro of the upper playfield.

#1007 7 years ago
Quoted from catboxer:

I am still hoping Wade Cruse or CPR can run a repro of the upper playfield.

Here, Here...
Please....
There was talk in one of the CPR threads that they were considering it.

#1008 7 years ago

Both pf's would be nice but ya the top one has most the pop wear :/ or even a decal?

I have a scanner and I can pull my pops and scan, not sure who could do the art though?

#1009 7 years ago

Mine is still has most of the paint, even around the pops, but the whole thing is slightly planked.

#1010 7 years ago

most lower playfields are in pretty good shape -- they're more shielded from the elements, and they get a fraction of the ball traffic the upper playfield gets. and yeah, those pop bumpers up top shredded my main playfield!

i'd be psyched if CPR repro'd even just the top playfield, but last i heard it was not in the foreseeable future. it's understandably tough to make the numbers work on a game that only goes for like $1300.

#1011 7 years ago

I don't know, I mean they did Firepower and that is an 800 or less game with decent playfield. Blackhole is far superior IMO.

#1012 7 years ago

Bh in good condition is like 1800. Wear on the pf seems to go near 1300-1400

#1013 7 years ago

And Black Hole is now all happy in the garage as I shop it out. 8-)

So far everything is good, but no background sound ("muh-muh-muh-muh-muh-mun-muh-muh sound." as Steve Kulpa calls it). DIP 5 on the sound card is on and I have reseated connectors.

Has a Ni-Wumf MPU and driver board and Rottendog power supply and pop bumper boards. everything else is original.

I have reseated connectors and reset sound board DIP switches.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

Kg

#1014 7 years ago

Any sound or speach work otherwise?

#1015 7 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

Any sound or speach work otherwise?

Regular switch-trigger audio is fine and attract speech is there. Just the background ascending tones are not audible.

#1016 7 years ago
Quoted from KevinG-ATL:

Regular switch-trigger audio is fine and attract speech is there. Just the background ascending tones are not audible.

I have a flaky volume pot in my WW that will cut out just the background sound if I don't keep it set in its sweet spot.

#1017 7 years ago
Quoted from KevinG-ATL:

And Black Hole is now all happy in the garage as I shop it out.
So far everything is good, but no background sound ("muh-muh-muh-muh-muh-mun-muh-muh sound." as Steve Kulpa calls it). DIP 5 on the sound card is on and I have reseated connectors.
Has a Ni-Wumf MPU and driver board and Rottendog power supply and pop bumper boards. everything else is original.
Any other suggestions?
Thanks!
Kg

Does the whistling on the lower playfield work? I've got a weird problem on mine where I get the upper background sound but not the lower...

#1018 7 years ago
Quoted from KevinG-ATL:

And Black Hole is now all happy in the garage as I shop it out.
Any other suggestions?
Thanks!
Kg

Turned out it was the infamous "connector issues"... turns out A6J1-2 had broken off in the connector. it "looked" like it was seated in the terminal pin, but when I pulled the connector and started really going over it, it came right out.

Yay for stupid n00b mistakes. Thanks all that responded!

KevinG

#1019 7 years ago

I bought Steve's bracket from Cliffy and finally got it all installed on Friday. Works like a charm! Its awesome to have the ball kick up the tube and gently land on the upper playfield instead of shooting up, hitting the glass and bouncing into the playfield. So far so good on not burning up the coil either!

#1020 7 years ago

Anyone running a Ni-Wumpf MPU and having problems setting Max Credits to 0 to enable free play? The "zero set" method (hold down credit and push test) works fine in other Option menu items, just not for Max Credits.

I haven't serial-ed into the CPU yet to see if I could get the adjustment to take there, but wanted to check to see if anyone had a similar experience.

Unfortunately, I don't know what version of the firmware the board is on until I serial in (unless there is a menu setting that displays that).

Thanks!

Kevin

#1021 7 years ago
Quoted from KevinG-ATL:

Anyone running a Ni-Wumpf MPU and having problems setting Max Credits to 0 to enable free play? The "zero set" method (hold down credit and push test) works fine in other Option menu items, just not for Max Credits.
I haven't serial-ed into the CPU yet to see if I could get the adjustment to take there, but wanted to check to see if anyone had a similar experience.
Unfortunately, I don't know what version of the firmware the board is on until I serial in (unless there is a menu setting that displays that).
Thanks!
Kevin

I just hit start until it wrapped around, no problems

#1022 7 years ago

Anybody need a new lower playfield window? I have an extra CPR repro that's never been installed.

$45 shipped to the lower 48. PM if interested.

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#1023 7 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

I just hit start until it wrapped around, no problems

Quoted from KevinG-ATL:

Thanks!
Kevin

Turned out it was a really old software revision, once I upgraded to 1.75, life was good again!

#1024 7 years ago

CPR window is sold.

#1025 7 years ago

System 80 parts for sale - some BH
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/ad/34296

#1026 7 years ago

So, this may be a little sacreligious to the theme, but has anyone ever done any mods/design augmentation based on Disney's "The Black Hole".
Yeah, I know the movie was kinda wretched, but there were some really great design elements going on in there.

W/o raising the cabinet like the Cosmic Chaos Black Hole pin (Al Lewis - not Grandpa on the Munsters Al Lewis 8-) ) there is very little, if any dimensional stuff that could be done on the upper play field, but I'm thinking the maybe something a little subtle, like Maximillan, V.I.N.Cent or the Palomino floating over the lower play field and/or a some small flat vinyl of them or a Cygnus silhouette on the disk or something, just for some "flavor"

Anyway, just tossing that out there to see what anyone thinks or if it just sounds stupid.

Thanks!

Kevin

#1027 7 years ago

There is the one BH on YouTube with tons and tons of mods. And one of tnt's BH videos reference the movie but I haven't seen the two really mixed?

#1028 7 years ago

My BH has blown the F12 fuse for the upper center pop bumper twice now. Lifted of to see if I could spot any obvious issues, non spotted.

Any suggestions on what to check?

I plan to look at the PBDB for each PB to see if the upgrades have been made that the sys80 pin wiki document references. Will reflow solder joints if/when I make those changes.

Other potential issues?

Thanks!

#1029 7 years ago
Quoted from Kronlar:

My BH has blown the F12 fuse for the upper center pop bumper twice now. Lifted of to see if I could spot any obvious issues, non spotted.
Any suggestions on what to check?
I plan to look at the PBDB for each PB to see if the upgrades have been made that the sys80 pin wiki document references. Will reflow solder joints if/when I make those changes.
Other potential issues?
Thanks!

What pop bumper boards? Original, updated or replacements?

1 week later
#1030 7 years ago

Can anyone confirm when the outhole kicker and lower pf gate fire? My outhole kicker doesn't fire in attract mode when a ball falls into the trough, but works during gameplay?

My lower pf gate doesn't work, but the transistors are fine (if I manually apply 5V at the driver board everything's fine). Can't even see a signal anywhere saying it's trying to fire. I would have assumed that, in attract mode, if the ball was detected in the lower trough, it would let it through and kick it up? Or even when I 'start' a game (but it doesn't give me a ball because it doesn't have all 3), shouldn't it be trying to let get the ball back to the upper pf then? Similarly, it won't fire the upkicker if the ball falls in there during attract mode, but that also works fine. All the switches check out... Is there any way to test the remote transistor coils from the software?

#1031 7 years ago
Quoted from Okarcades:

Just got done shopping this with comet LEDs and blue Titans.

Looks great. What bulbs on Lowet pf? Nice and bright

2 weeks later
#1032 7 years ago

Any pascal board owners?

I just installed one on my BH... Everything is working one the game except there's no music. There's speech and sound effects....but the background "music" is gone.

Any ideas?

*edit*. Found it in menu settings

#1033 7 years ago

Just played a couple times today. Nice when you crack the million mark.
I ended with 1,020,710

High with new NV ram is 1,225,910.

Only one multiball but it lasted a while with x5 bonus. Party on!!

#1034 7 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

Any pascal board owners?
I just installed one on my BH... Everything is working one the game except there's no music. There's speech and sound effects....but the background "music" is gone.
Any ideas?
*edit*. Found it in menu settings

I have one.

Ah good, sounds like you fixed it?

#1035 7 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

I have one.
Ah good, sounds like you fixed it?

Yes, thanks.

I did notice that the credits/ball # display in the apron is malfunctioning since adding the new boards. Perhaps I need to reseat connectors...

#1036 7 years ago

Put my BH up for sale. Sorry to be exiting as it is a really nice machine but something had to go. Please pass this on if you know of anyone interested. Thanks - HJBondar

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/ad/35574/edit

#1037 7 years ago

I too will be exiting the club for now. My BH has a deposit on it and will be heading to a nice location in Baltimore to be enjoyed by many.

Special thanks to CNKAY for his help with this game along the way.

As it says no one escapes the black hole, I will probably get sucked back in!

#1038 7 years ago

ditto re: the thanks to CNKAY who generously helped my son and I diagnose a problem with the BH!

3 weeks later
#1039 7 years ago

Anyone got a Sys80 MPU they'd trade for my (Black Hole programmed) Ni-Wumpf MPU? I'll be at Pintastic Saturday....

3 weeks later
#1040 7 years ago

Use your phone VR style with this vid, move phone up, and it looks up. Move phone left and it looks left:

The extra bright lower PF results in an overexposure, but gives a very alternative view

#1041 7 years ago

that is really cool!

i was able to click and drag with my mouse and "look around" while you played. pretty neat. i wanted to go over and play the RFM you've got in the corner.

#1042 7 years ago

I couldn't make out the score and you had a great game going. Then you cliff hanger the final score not nice.

Love the 360 cams set ups myself. A great way to watch this game.

#1043 7 years ago
Quoted from CNKay:

Then you cliff hanger the final score not nice

I didn't know what you meant by cliff hanger, til I just watched the ending (err, um, missing). Sorry about that.
That camera is SO COOL, but has some downfalls: oversaturaed with LEDs and cuts videos off at random times. I thought this one completed though

1 month later
#1044 7 years ago

I finally made a trade for some 7 digit displays! The boards where pretty nasty hope it works out. But if your interested I will be showing the change over on you tube.

The first videos are of re tining edge connector pads. It may be worth your time. If it is give me the ol thumbs up!

#1045 7 years ago

Hi guys!

My name is Håkon, and I am a Black Hole export version owner from Oslo, Norway. I am some months down the road of my from "rock bottom to tip top"-restoration of my BH, and yesterday I did my first power up. It ended with a bit more magic smoke than I had hoped for. Still, I am fighting on! I really look forward to playing Black Hole. The game started out as a total wreck, but after having spent almost half a year sourcing parts and working on it, I'm almost at a point where I have it up and running. The last piece inthe puzzle is to restore the cabinet itself, something I'm not really looking forward to. I especially dread the matching of the blue paint of the cabinet, as I am more than a bit colour blind. Are there any colour codes for it floating around? The plan is to throw a Black Hole-party with some fellow pinheads once it is done. Beer and Black Hole! Yey!

2 weeks later
#1046 7 years ago

I reset everything to default on the NiWumpf boards and MPU that drive my Black Hole. I am now getting "shoot again" at 120,000. Is this the default? Not complaining since my scores have increased dramatically but I don't see in the setup menus where this value is set.

Thanks,

Robert

#1047 7 years ago
Quoted from StratDoc:

I reset everything to default on the NiWumpf boards and MPU that drive my Black Hole. I am now getting "shoot again" at 120,000. Is this the default? Not complaining since my scores have increased dramatically but I don't see in the setup menus where this value is set.
Thanks,
Robert

It should be 'first thresh' on the first sub menu

#1048 7 years ago

Hey Northvibe, you didn't happen to get any scans of your playfield did you?

#1049 7 years ago
Quoted from BrewNinja:

Hey Northvibe, you didn't happen to get any scans of your playfield did you?

Oh snaps. I didn't but I never tore Down the pf yet. Had a wedding to get though.

We still talking about the area around the pops that need a scan so we can print a decal? Or full pf scan?

#1050 7 years ago

I personally only need the area around the pops. But I don't think people would complain with more if you had it. Im not in a super rush for it, just was wondering if you had gotten around to it yet

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Machine - For Sale
Ottawa, ON
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

There are 3,291 posts in this topic. You are on page 21 of 66.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/black-hole-club-members-only/page/21 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.